modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
If i remember correctly it was replying tona tweet about a political watchdog website he said did good work and tried to donate, politifact?

Would you agree her directly telling him he's the worst, and he's gross....is in fact not criticism but the very harassment she just wrote about. She wasn't critiquing SpaceX or Tesla which is fair game, those are direct personal attacks

If that is the case, I would agree it's not good form, but given that it's a single tweet, by a single person, and not part of a coordinated movement of literally hundreds...I would doubt it is equivalent as the harrasement from Musk's followers.

Oct 25, 2017
One thing that I never see brought up in these threads, the Koch brothers are spending Millions and Millions per year In propaganda to destroy electric vehicles... I think he is somewhat rightfully suspicious and downright pissed off... So many of the clickbait headlines surrounding Tesla are just absolutely ridiculous and beyond misleading and absolutely is terrible journalism, because let's face it right now electric cars are Tesla ... Now whether he is handling this properly is a different story but I feel like this is worth pointing out
https://electrek.co/2017/06/27/koch-brothers-electric-cars-fossil-fuels/

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/koch-electric-vehicles_us_56c4d63ce4b0b40245c8cbf6

The "hit pieces" are coming from actual journalism and sources. They're focused on worker conditions, lawsuits, union busting and missed deadlines. These are all within perfect discussion by journalist. Especially when you're a CEO who is out there acting like the grand fucking wizard of it all.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Huh, I tought it was his name on it because the harrasment happened when Elon Musk himself ponted his followers to these individuals, and he has never condemned their actions nor done anything to prevent them or reduce them.
I find it a bit hard to consider a response tweet as "pointing at someone".

What's the point of Musk and the journalist using twitter if Musk isn't meant to respond

Last edited:

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't believe he needed to tweet that. Some people need it though.

Same. Obviously not his intention, but all of this shit only reinforces his point about journalism.

He starts calling out the fact that people don't trust the media (true), proposes a solution (a highly dangerous, terrible one imo), and now it's been... what?

He's being accused of racism and sexism, when he did no such thing. It's fucking disgraceful.

Can't believe it took a reporter interviewing other reporters and writing a story on it for him to recognize it. Sadly I don't think he truly understands what he is doing.

He made a tweet and some random alt-right assholes started attacking people for it. You think that has never happened with other celebs? You think he reads all the replies of the portion of his followers attacking people?

This is him stating the obvious, because people have already warped the hell out of what he was saying.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
I find it a bit hard to consider a response tweet as "pointing at someone".

What's the point of Musk and the journalist using twitter if Musk isn't meant to respond

It's not about the technology allows, but about how it is actually used. He could sub tweeted, tweeted about the topic without the @, etc. Some people on Twitter with large followings do use it intentionally to weaponize their followers, others are more responsible and avoid @ as much as possible.

MotionBlue

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Twitter needs to be deleted off the internet. Another example of two assholes arguing, and it somehow being news. I can't believe I have to defend Elon. Erin has attacked Elon more than once over twitter. Promptly used the twitter argument to mine for outrage. I can't help be cynical as to motive given the timing. Journalists and Scientists are held to higher standards in public discourse. You can't freely insult/criticize someone, and not expect backlash if you're in those professions.

Twitter mobs are hardly an isolated instance with Elon; distrust in 'reporters' is fully understandable and ultimately a sign of the times/future.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
All appear to be out of context. Is she was being harassed already, it's easy to see why sheds tweet that stuff.
Except the tweets in question are from before her hit piece.

The "hit pieces" are coming from actual journalism and sources. They're focused on worker conditions, lawsuits, union busting and missed deadlines. These are all within perfect discussion by journalist. Especially when you're a CEO who is out there acting like the grand fucking wizard of it all.
What about the hit piece by NYT journalist that purposefully ran the test Tesla they gave him out of power just so he could get a picture of it on a tow truck? Oh and he lied about how far he was trying to go. And was caught by the logs on the car.

There are legitimate issues to be made about worker conditions and union busting etc. But to act like everything written negatively about Tesla is true, is false. And the same goes the other way for positive stories.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's not about the technology allows, but about how it is actually used. He could sub tweeted, tweeted about the topic without the @, etc. Some people on Twitter with large followings do use it intentionally to weaponize their followers, others are more responsible and avoid @ as much as possible.
Couldn't you say the same about her then? She didn't have to @ him either. What if one of her 14k followers had harassed musk? Also why @ him if you don't want him to respond.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
Couldn't you say the same about her then? She didn't have to @ him either. What if one of her 14k followers had harassed musk? Also why @ him if you don't want him to respond.

It was bad form, yes, but not equivalent since Musk has way more followers, and her followers are not famous for harrasement. In the tweets that the Richad Lewis has published to attempt disacredit her there are examples of her not @ him.

Last edited:

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Here is him telling another nanoscientist that her field of study is bullshit:

nano-musk-tweet.jpg

Dr Dickinson is a lecturer at my university and a science educator, she does a lot of great work and it's really upsetting to see Musk being such an asshole.

She wrote an article about it:
https://thespinoff.co.nz/science/28...ike-elon-musk-but-nano-is-not-bullshit-sorry/

What the fuck is this.

Oct 25, 2017
An engineer showing his ass when it comes to actual science

*said as an engineer*

Dudes way out of his depth when talking to people who actually know things

Also showing that he's probably a bit sexist considering

He has a degree in physics, bro.

An engineer in the aerospace and automotive fields would be aware about the many commercial applications of nanotechnolgy there.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Social networks can be used as a weapon. Sometimes the weapon does good and is used by people driving for something better. Problem is that weapon can be used by anyone and it work just the same.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
He has a degree in physics, bro.

An engineer in the aerospace and automotive fields would be aware about the many commercial applications of nanotechnolgy there.
Being an engineer with a degree in physics is actually a really good reason to not assume you know much about a field that you're not an expert in, including its uses.

Entryhazard

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Elon Musk used to be my hero. He's the reason I decided to study engineering. But now he's just an insufferable douchebag who represents everything wrong with the "celebrity capitalist" persona. Dude's a fucking milkshake duck through and through.
milkshake duck? That he's terrible could be inferred from his hypercapitalist tendencies since day one

Oct 25, 2017
Being an engineer with a degree in physics is actually a really good reason to not assume you know much about a field that you're not an expert in, including its uses.

He is not an engineer but a business man which sells the idea of being brilliant mind as part of his public image. It's not the first time that his hot takes about something science related are nonsense.

ishan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He is not an engineer but a business man which sells the idea of being brilliant mind as part of his public image. It's not the first time that his hot takes about something science related are nonsense.
Is there consensus on this take on this particular aspect . I mean many of us in acadaemia assume Elon sells stuff and with ridiculous timelines . But on this particular issue

1) the article is very vague uses a lot of walk backable words. And imo just tries to fling words around. Author keeps harping back to how he/she is not an authority but is still making a point

2) I'm much more interested in if he discredited actual work by the researcher mentioned . A prior poster has mentioned he knows her. Within the scientific community the distinction is clear you discredit work published in respectable publications you get shit on many . You disrespect stuff in shoddy places yeah no one cares . So which is it ? Someone in the field would be better educated to let me know .

ishan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Given that link it seems a doctoral student made a reply to Elon he was a dick about it and essentially implied nano is bad on an engineering level for current tech . The advisor jumped in protecting the student and the work (correctly) .

Having said that nanotech is like fusion something many very smart ppl (I'm sure smarter than musk) work on but it's a complex problem .

There are no engineering solutions currently . That's the bs he is referring to . He is being a dick about it for sure . But that whole back and forth is arguing over something too complex for most ppl to understand anyway . Maybe his ego was hurt by the initial tweet Dunno

Edit

It is factually correct most nano stuff just like say quantum or fusion stuff is at no where near proper engineering levels and he is correct in that characterization but he is being quite disrespectful himself to the person . But the student was disrespectful to him too . (I haven't taken the time to look thru any prior exchanges apart from your quoted article )

Oct 25, 2017
Given that link it seems a doctoral student made a reply to Elon he was a dick about it and essentially implied nano is bad on an engineering level for current tech . The advisor jumped in protecting the student and the work (correctly) .

Having said that nanotech is like fusion something many very smart ppl (I'm sure smarter than musk) work on but it's a complex problem .

There are no engineering solutions currently . That's the bs he is referring to . He is being a dick about it for sure . But that whole back and forth is arguing over something too complex for most ppl to understand anyway . Maybe his ego was hurt by the initial tweet Dunno

Calling something bullshit, which has already daily commercial applications (especially in the fields he is trying to make money) and attacking people isn't "arguing".

Maybe he should go to one of the Panasonic engineers and asks how the "Tesla"tm batteries actually work.

ishan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Calling something bullshit, which has already daily commercial applications (especially in the fields he is trying to make money) and attacking people isn't "arguing".

Maybe he should go to one of the Panasonic engineers and asks how the "Tesla"tm batteries actually work.
I'll rephase which part of anything do you see nanotech in ?

ishan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Dude wtf you even talking about . Your essential argument with Tesla tm seems to be he doesn't know shit . He is correct on feasibility of nanotech engineering solutions currently
Edit : he's not the smartest scientist or engineer but he's not dumb either

iamsgod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Last edited:

ishan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
did he truly citing uncyclopedia?
Do you have a cogent argument on the current feasibility of nanotech engineering ? If so be my guest . This is getting ridiculous either you accept scientific consensus or not . Current scientific consensus is nanotech and related engineering is many years off .

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Do you have a cogent argument on the current feasibility of nanotech engineering ? If so be my guest . This is getting ridiculous either you accept scientific consensus or not . Current scientific consensus is nanotech and related engineering is many years off .

Nanotech != metal gear style nanomachines. To quote the article (written by an actual researcher in the field) in my previous post:

What's so ironic is that the majority of Elon's businesses – from his SpaceX spacecraft to his battery powered Tesla cars – only work thanks to nanotechnology.

So is nanotechnology actually a thing?

In 1959 physicist Richard Feynman gave a talk to an American Physical Society meeting entitled "There's Plenty of Room at the Bottom". In it he discussed a future process in which scientists would be able to manipulate individual atoms and molecules to create unique properties in materials. This concept was coined "nanotechnology" by Professor Norio Taniguchi a decade later, as technology improved and equipment such as scanning tunnelling microscopes were developed that enabled scientists to view the shape of individual atoms.

Although the term nanotechnology is relatively new and is typically used to describe materials or structures with designed features that range in the 1-100nm size range, its properties have been known for a long time.

If you own gold jewellery you will be familiar with its golden colour because we are used to seeing gold at the macro-scale or a scale that we can see with our eyes. But gold can appear blue or red when the gold particles are reduced in size to the nanoscale thanks to a phenomenon called surface plasmon resonance. Medieval artisans experimented with gold chloride in their molten glass art and found that it added a beautiful red tint. This led them to produce some of the world's most incredible bright red stained glass windows that decorate cathedrals around the world. What they probably didn't realise at the time was that the red colour was coming from the gold nanoparticles that had formed in the glass which acted as quantum dots to reflect red light.

These unique properties that happen when materials are really tiny are what have allowed scientists and engineers like myself to develop materials that show very different physical, chemical, mechanical and optical properties to their bulk or larger form.

This has led to many advancements in the scientific world as researchers learn to tune these tiny materials to give the properties that they need.

Nanotechnology is in a huge number of things that you regularly use, from the tiny titanium dioxide nanoparticles in your sunscreen to protect you from the sun's UV rays to the conductive nanowires in your smartphones touchscreen that you press on every day. The technology is not only making electronic devices smaller and smarter, it's also powering more efficient solar panels for sustainable energy collection and more powerful lithium-ion batteries to store and release this energy from. With its huge surface area to volume ratio, nanotechnology is helping deliver drugs in a more targeted way, with fewer active ingredients needed, and helping doctors to visualise tumours and other abnormal tissue growths by glowing or fluorescing in the body.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
What about the hit piece by NYT journalist that purposefully ran the test Tesla they gave him out of power just so he could get a picture of it on a tow truck? Oh and he lied about how far he was trying to go. And was caught by the logs on the car.

There are legitimate issues to be made about worker conditions and union busting etc. But to act like everything written negatively about Tesla is true, is false. And the same goes the other way for positive stories.

Tesla didn't have to act like children when trying to refute the review. Every single time anything negative is written about the company Musk & Tesla PR have these very childish, passive aggressive, victim blaming statements.

Still, that's only TWO stories. Y'all act like every single thing written about Tesla & Musk is some smear campaign by big oil to destroy the company. Consumers should WANT to see more demanded out of the company who is "trying to change the world" versus settling for "beta testing" a car.

Ryno23

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Tesla didn't have to act like children when trying to refute the review. Every single time anything negative is written about the company Musk & Tesla PR have these very childish, passive aggressive, victim blaming statements.

Still, that's only TWO stories. Y'all act like every single thing written about Tesla & Musk is some smear campaign by big oil to destroy the company. Consumers should WANT to see more demanded out of the company who is "trying to change the world" versus settling for "beta testing" a car.

At the same time you are absolutely niave if you think there isn't an all out war going on right now for the public perception of Tesla. They are threatening and disrupting billions and billions of dollars and very powerful people in many industries, that doesn't just happen without a fight.

Oct 25, 2017
At the same time you are absolutely niave if you think there isn't an all out war going on right now for the public perception of Tesla. They are threatening and disrupting billions and billions of dollars and very powerful people in many industries, that doesn't just happen without a fight.

Okay sure, but even if I believe some entities want Tesla to fail it doesn't change the fact that Elon continues to make an ass of himself for no good reason.

Oct 25, 2017
At the same time you are absolutely niave if you think there isn't an all out war going on right now for the public perception of Telsa. They are threatening and disrupting billions and billions of dollars and very powerful people in many industries, that doesn't just happen without a fight.

Yes, big auto and oil is founding a smear campaign against Tesla. They're paying every reporter to write "hit pieces" to drag Tesla down, yep. Solar City is not special and was on the brink of bankruptcy before Elon saught a merger, which was very much frowned upon by pundits because of how bad their financials are.

Or maybe, JUST MAYBE, people are finally beginning to grow tired of Musk and his antics. He's consistently missed deadlines on production, his cars have been criticized for their fit & finish despite their price and their "we'll update it" approach to their auto-driving is a bit of a wrong approach for things as powerful as cars.

I can gaurantee if Musk didn't put himself out there the way he has been for the last 5+ years he would not be getting as scrutinzied as he is.

Ryno23

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Yes, big auto and oil is founding a smear campaign against Tesla. They're paying every reporter to write "hit pieces" to drag Tesla down, yep. Solar City is not special and was on the brink of bankruptcy before Elon saught a merger, which was very much frowned upon by pundits because of how bad their financials are.

Or maybe, JUST MAYBE, people are finally beginning to grow tired of Musk and his antics. He's consistently missed deadlines on production, his cars have been criticized for their fit & finish despite their price and their "we'll update it" approach to their auto-driving is a bit of a wrong approach for things as powerful as cars.

I can gaurantee if Musk didn't put himself out there the way he has been for the last 5+ years he would not be getting as scrutinzied as he is.

Or maybe just maybe your opinion has been completely distorted by an endless barrage of misleading twisted click bait articles with half truths.
Even if the big players aren't manipulating the media as you say, it's worth pointing out that Tesla spends zero on advertising. The big auto companies and the oil industry take up 4 or 5 of the top ten spots in total ad spend across all media. They have absolutely no incentive to run positive coverage of Tesla and all the incentive in the world to see them fail and the status quo remain.
I agree Musk has not behaved ideal recently, he is absolutely far from perfect and I wish he would let PR handle some things he's taken to Twitter... But things have been so blown out of proportion and twisted its ridiculousm

This is a good summary of things I recommend:
https://www.dailykos.com/story/2018/5/29/1767826/-The-War-on-Tesla-Musk-and-the-Fight-for-the-Future

sleepInsom

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Or maybe just maybe your opinion has been completely distorted by an endless barrage of misleading twisted click bait articles with half truths.
Even if the big players aren't manipulating the media as you say, it's worth pointing out that Tesla spends zero on advertising. The big auto companies and the oil industry take up 4 or 5 of the top ten spots in total ad spend across all media. They have absolutely no incentive to run positive coverage of Tesla and all the incentive in the world to see them fail and the status quo remain.
I agree Musk has not behaved ideal recently, he is absolutely far from perfect and I wish he would let PR handle some things he's taken to Twitter... But things have been so blown out of proportion and twisted its ridiculousm

This is a good summary of things I recommend:
https://www.dailykos.com/story/2018/5/29/1767826/-The-War-on-Tesla-Musk-and-the-Fight-for-the-Future

This reads like an Alex Jones rant. "People are hating on Musk because they've been brainwashed by the media due to Musk not giving them money for advertisement." This is an insane line of defense that has no bearing in reality.

Oct 25, 2017

While some of this might be valid, there is nothing in there that indicates some kind of larger thing at play to bring down Tesla. So there stock is the most shorted? Oh no, the world is betting against them. It's a valid thing when you consider missed production numbers and the massive amount of cash their burning; the Amazon comparison isn't apt because Amazon re-invested their money into other revenue generating ventures like AWS. The author is presenting their own bias throughout this too with the hippie comments. I've never met someone or read online of someone who assumed Tesla lovers were hippie people.

I also have a hard time taking someone seriously who puts "GATE" on any kind of controversy, especially while downplaying Musk's attacks on media and press. While Tesla might spend zero on advertising, they've been getting TONS of favorable press for YEARS. Musk built up so much hype and the press fueld it going back to the Model S days. Even with the Model 3 the amount of praise and hype centered on it was massive.

It is totally fair to highly publicize Tesla crashes, especially when 'autonomous' driving is suspected. Why? Because most companies, if any, advertise their AI driving assist like so:
Full Self-Driving Hardware on All Cars
All Tesla vehicles produced in our factory, including Model 3, have the hardware needed for full self-driving capability at a safety level substantially greater than that of a human driver.

When a comapny is touting itself as the next generation and being the safest thign out there they absolutely should be getting held to higher standards. Yes Ford or GM have millions of cars in recall, but the difference is when you consider the number of cars in production versus the actual recall.

They also reported problems with wind noise and a stiff ride (although these have been fixed for months; the CR cars are early production).

This is a ludicrious defense of the car. Consumer Reports HAS to report on what they're given and to downplay it as an early production is just bad. People like got those early production models and experience the same annoyances; the fact that production quality can change that much is worth subjecting to criticism.

Many of us don't dislike Tesla and what they're trying to do, but rather have problems with Musk and how he is the defacto branding of Tesla. His approach to things is toxic and it leads to the brand looking toxic by nature.

Deleted member 39450

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 3, 2018
Boston, MA
This reads like an Alex Jones rant. "People are hating on Musk because they've been brainwashed by the media due to Musk not giving them money for advertisement." This is an insane line of defense that has no bearing in reality.

Oh come on... Tesla's rivals have been shorting Tesla's stock for years, you can't call that "fake news" and then run for cover.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh come on... Tesla's rivals have been shorting Tesla's stock for years, you can't call that "fake news" and then run for cover.

Around 3/4ths of Tesla's stock is held by major institutional investors — companies who have built their empires based on choosing good stocks. Furthermore, institutional investors have recently been increasing their stakes in the company.

The shorts aren't betting against dirty ignorant hippies that Tesla is going to fail. They're betting against ruthless Wall Street bean counters.

Why did these firms invest?

That quote from the article seems to disagree with your statement

Oct 25, 2017
Here is him telling another nanoscientist that her field of study is bullshit:

nano-musk-tweet.jpg

Dr Dickinson is a lecturer at my university and a science educator, she does a lot of great work and it's really upsetting to see Musk being such an asshole.

She wrote an article about it:
https://thespinoff.co.nz/science/28...ike-elon-musk-but-nano-is-not-bullshit-sorry/

He's really linking to Uncyclopedia as a form of rebuttal? Christ, how do you become that dumb and self-absorbed?

May 3, 2018
Musk is really burning a lot of good will for no reason.

He's probably in panic mode. Tesla shares are down, public perception and trust in autonomous vehicles is in doubt, investors are shook, the quality is shit on their vehicles, government investigations into safety issues at manufacturing plants etc etc etc

The goldenboy is finally hitting reality to all thr fuckery going on and he is going into full tantrum mode.