• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kivvi

Jun 25, 2018
Atlus pumped out a lot of remasters, remakes, ports and Persona spin offs in the last 10 years. Since there kinda aren't games left for remaking/porting (TMS port to Switch maybe) they slowed down. I'm OK with it, I would rather see completely new games like SMT V, RE: fantasy and new EO/Persona game anyway.

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
Fire emblem has two 2 million sellers, Fates sold better than P5 and 3 Houses will probably sell well above both.
So? Those are all mainline FE games and there has been an upward trend. Fire Emblem was once a franchise that used to sell very little.

P5 is the first game in series to sell over 2m and just like fire Emblem it'll only keep on getting higher if atlus continue to make quality games. P6 if good should definitely sell even higher than P5

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
So? Those are all mainline FE games and there has been an upward trend. Fire Emblem was once a franchise that used to sell very little.

P5 is the first game in series to sell over 2m and just like fire Emblem it'll only keep on getting higher if atlus continue to make quality games. P6 if good should definitely sell even higher than P5
That is why I said yet.

Tiggleton

Banned
Apr 25, 2019
Atlus pumped out a lot of remasters, remakes, ports and Persona spin offs in the last 10 years. Since there kinda aren't games left for remaking/porting (TMS port to Switch maybe) they slowed down. I'm OK with it, I would rather see completely new games like SMT V, RE: fantasy and new EO/Persona game anyway.

Remasters and ports don't take away from new games though. Which is why I wish Atlus had some ports for Switch to fill the gap between SMT V getting announced and coming out.

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
With how huge Persona is worldwide they really need to get their act together.

It's getting close to 3M, that's 1M less than Nier Automata, would Nier be considered huge as well?
That's not a slant against Persona, 5 is a breakout success for the series that we saw coming, but does that make it huge and Atlus handling of it "unacceptable"?

Tiggleton

Banned
Apr 25, 2019
It's getting close to 3M, that's 1M less than Nier Automata, would Nier be considered huge as well?
That's not a slant against Persona, 5 is a breakout success for the series that we saw coming, but does that make it huge and Atlus handling of it "unacceptable"?

Yeah I worded that poorly. Comparatively Persona is a big IP when it comes to Japanese RPGs. Honestly I'd argue Automata is hugely surprising with how well it did. 4M is crazy!
3M is definitely huge coming from a company that mostly produced mid-tier titles. Which is where my problem is. Why it's "unacceptable". Atlus continues to act like a mid-tier developer despite the huge success of P5. When they should be capitalizing on that and working towards improving how they operate. For example it's frankly absurd Persona is not an international releasing IP now. Especially since Atlus is owned by Sega now.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Year 2022: Why are Atlus releasing a lot of games for vanilla Switch when the PS5 and the (next-gen) Switch is around?

It will happen, I feel it.

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
Yeah I worded that poorly. Comparatively Persona is a big IP when it comes to Japanese RPGs. Honestly I'd argue Automata is hugely surprising with how well it did. 4M is crazy!
3M is definitely huge coming from a company that mostly produced mid-tier titles. Which is where my problem is. Why it's "unacceptable". Atlus continues to act like a mid-tier developer despite the huge success of P5. When they should be capitalizing on that and working towards improving how they operate. For example it's frankly absurd Persona is not an international releasing IP now. Especially since Atlus is owned by Sega now.

They're capitalizing on that by making Project Re Fantasy on top of following up on their big IP Persona and SMT.
I think that's it really, had Persona remained more "confidential" (let's say 1M), Project Re:Fantasy would probably not exist and maybe we would have had one or two already released lower budget games instead, that's it.

Japan is clearly lacking in manpower and struggling to increase their staff size (as seen by comments from Squix on how it's a struggle to get new staff, the multiple recruitment that get wide coverage and the failure of Studio Istolia) but still want/has to keep up with the hardware they release their games on.

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
Still waiting for my Nocturne remaster where Matador is easier to beat. It's time for me to finish the game, but the excessive difficulty of this character makes it impossible for me.

I'd like to know more about SMT V. I hope the project is going well.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Atlus stopped releasing games on DS in 2011, they released their last game on 3DS just 2 months ago.
The 3DS was a direct successor and replacement for the DS while the Switch and 3DS have had overlapping support for the last few years, I don't think there's anything more to it than that.

OP
OP
Elven_Star

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
Still waiting for my Nocturne remaster where Matador is easier to beat. It's time for me to finish the game, but the excessive difficulty of this character makes it impossible for me.

I would take any kind of PS2-era JRPG remasters. Unbeatable ones if necessary XD

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017

Learn Fog Breath to stop his accuracy buff, fuse Uzume and other demons that resist or null Force and equip the Hifumi Magatama and Matador isn't that big of a deal

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
2003 - Nocturne
2004 - Digital Devil Saga
2005 - Digital Devil Saga 2
2006 - Raidou Kuzunoha vs. The Soulless Army
2006 - Persona 3
2007 - Persona 3 FES
2008 - Persona 4
2008 - Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abaddon

I wish we could go back to this legendary output.

The PS2 was such a legendary system for the games it got. What I wouldn't give for those ports.

I agree with the OP. It wouldn't be so bad for me if we got updates on what's going on with anything Switch related besides Scramble... Eggs...

I won't fully be able to move on from my barely alive N3DS to the Switch until Pokémon and Shin Megami Tensei shows up on the Switch.

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Learn Fog Breath to stop his accuracy buff, fuse Uzume and other demons that resist or null Force and equip the Hifumi Magatama and Matador isn't that big of a deal

I didn't do any of that and had no problem. The only time I got owned in Nocturne was when my party was surprised in a random encounter and my team got wiped out. That was the only way the CPU would beat me.... I find the complaints on the difficulty on Shin Megami Tensei games to be over blown.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't do any of that and had no problem. The only time I got owned in Nocturne was when my party was surprised in a random encounter and my team got wiped out. That was the only way the CPU would beat me.... I find the complaints on the difficulty on Shin Megami Tensei games to be over blown.
I played Nocturne after a lot of the others and I didn't find it nearly as difficult as fans were making it out to be either lol. Outside of the classic games I thought Strange Journey was pretty hard though.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
It's not just budgets - t

If Matador is too hard for you, you're not beating Nocturne. Matador is basically the tutorial boss that teaches you how you're supposed to be playing the game. Aka use buffs & debuffs and if you get stuck on a boss, fuse new allies that are specifically designed to help against that boss (I remember Uzume is a good choice there - immune to Force & has a group heal spell).

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Their PS2 output was insane but nowadays they're kind of in a good place for me since they're making a new IP, a new mainline SMT on HD console for the first time and no doubt they're also secretly the next mainline Persona title. Those are all things worth getting excited about. To me, anyway.

Deleted member 49535

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
I mean even on 3DS they made far less original titles than on DS. Back then they created a bunch of new IPs (Trauma Center, Etrian Odyssey) and they were also pumping high quality stuff on PS2 still. Not sure what the reason is.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I mean even on 3DS they made far less original titles than on DS. Back then they created a bunch of new IPs (Trauma Center, Etrian Odyssey) and they were also pumping high quality stuff on PS2 still. Not sure what the reason is.

More than likely because back then they had smaller teams to work on multiple IPs (SMT, Persona, Etrian Odyssey, Trauma Center, Growlanser, Devil Survivor etc) and now because of these upcoming games we know about, they consolidated their small teams into bigger teams to make these HD releases since they require more manpower to get them done. HD development is another ball game compared to the SD/old handheld eras.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Launch aligned to Switch today here's what Atlus Japan released on previous Nintendo and PlayStation handhelds:

Game Boy
  • Kwirk (1989)
  • Cosmo Tank (1990) developed by Asuka Technologies
  • Pocket Stadium (1990) Japan only
  • Spud's Adventure (1991)
  • Amazing Tater (1991)
Game Boy Advance
  • Super Dodge Ball (2001) developed by Million
  • Hamster Paradise Advanchu (2002) developed by Digital Kids, Japan only
  • DemiKids Light / Dark Version (2002) developed by M.I.T.
  • Shin Megami Tensei (2003) Japan only
  • Hamster Paradise: Pure Heart (2003) developed by Digital Kids, Japan only
  • Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Children: Puzzle de Call! (2003) developed by Suzak, Japan only
Nintendo DS
  • Trauma Center: Under the Knife (2005)
  • SBK Snowboard Kids (2005) developed by Racjin
  • Jinsei Game DS (2006) produced by Takara Tomy, Japan only
  • Etrian Odyssey (2007) co-developed by Lancarse
PSP
  • Princess Crown (2005)
  • Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner (2005)
Nintendo 3DS
  • Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked (2011)
  • Sparkle Snapshots 3D (2011) produced and published by Nintendo, digital only
  • Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan (2012)
  • Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers (2012)
  • Shin Megami Tensei IV (2013)
  • Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl (2013)
PS Vita
  • Persona 4 Golden (2012)
  • Dragon's Crown (2013) developed by Vanillaware
Nintendo Switch
Decided to do this with home consoles too and Switch looks pretty standard for Atlus+HD platforms actually.

Super NES
  • BlaZeon: The Bio-Cyborg Challenge (1992) developed by AI
  • Metal Jack: Armored Police (1992) Japan only
  • Shin Megami Tensei (1992) Japan only
PlayStation
  • Power Instinct 2 (1995) Japan only
  • Gunbird (1995) developed by Psikyo, Japan only (sort of)
  • Tetsudou O '96: Ikuze Okoban Chouja (1995) Japan only
  • Strikers 1945 (1996) developed by Psikyo, Japan only
  • Revelations: Persona (1996)
  • DigiCro: Digital Number Crossword (1996) developed by AI, Japan only
  • Heaven's Gate (1996) developed by Racjin
  • Galeoz (1996) developed by Pre Stage, Japan only
  • Imadoki no Vampire: Bloody Bride (1996) developed by Jourdan, Japan only
  • Peak Performance (1997) developed by Cave
Virtual Boy
  • Jack Bros. (1995)
Nintendo 64
  • Snowboard Kids (1997) developed by Racjin
PlayStation 2
  • Primal Image Vol. 1 (2000) develooed by Racjin, Japan only
  • Happy! Happy!! Boarders in Hokkaido (2000) developed by Racjin, Japan only
  • Maken Shao: Demon Sword (2001)
  • Growlanser II: The Sense of Justice (2001) developed by Careersoft
  • Road Rage 3 (2001) developed by Cave
  • Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land (2001) developed by Racjin
  • Growlanser III: The Dual Darkness (2001) developed by Careersoft
Nintendo Gamecube
  • Go! Go! Hyper-Grind (2002) developed by Poponchi
Xbox
  • Shin Megami Tensei NINE (2002) developed by Nextech, Japan only
  • Touge R (2002) developed by Cave, Japan only
Xbox 360
PlayStation 3
Wii
  • Trauma Center: Second Opinion (2006)
  • Trauma Center: New Blood (2007)
Wii U
PlayStation 4
  • Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir (2015) developed by Vanillaware
Xbox One
Nintendo Switch

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Just to show their overall production output. That's also why I noted when the games were outsourced.

Their first Switch game won't be internally developed either (P5 Scramble).
There will still be Atlus staff responsible for Persona 5 Scramble's development, just like what happened with Persona 4 Arena. They'll surely handle music, UI, art, story, and other such elements while Omega Force will handle core development. It's more than, say, Demon's Souls, which is purely a publishing deal.

After Atlus was acquired by Sega, they have substantially reduced their publishing of games developed by other companies. It's kind of a false comparison.

SpScarecrow

Oct 27, 2017
Im just here waiting on Etrian Odyssey for Switch. Then all of the franchises that i love on 3ds will be on Switch and i can throw my 3ds into a dumpster.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
There will still be Atlus staff responsible for Persona 5 Scramble's development, just like what happened with Persona 4 Arena. They'll surely handle music, UI, art, story, and other such elements while Omega Force will handle core development. It's more than, say, Demon's Souls, which is purely a publishing deal.

After Atlus was acquired by Sega, they have substantially reduced their publishing of games developed by other companies. It's kind of a false comparison.
My lists are only referencing Atlus Japan productions. It doesn't include any Atlus USA pick-up publishing deals. Atlus Japan staff were involved directly in about every title I listed too even when core development was farmed out to other devs (Racjin, AI, Digital Kids, Cave, Nextech, etc). It's not different from P5S at all really.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Decided to do this with home consoles too and Switch looks pretty standard for Atlus+HD platforms actually.

Super NES
  • BlaZeon: The Bio-Cyborg Challenge (1992) developed by AI
  • Metal Jack: Armored Police (1992) Japan only
  • Shin Megami Tensei (1992) Japan only
PlayStation
  • Power Instinct 2 (1995) Japan only
  • Gunbird (1995) developed by Psikyo, Japan only (sort of)
  • Tetsudou O '96: Ikuze Okoban Chouja (1995) Japan only
  • Strikers 1945 (1996) developed by Psikyo, Japan only
  • Revelations: Persona (1996)
  • DigiCro: Digital Number Crossword (1996) developed by AI, Japan only
  • Heaven's Gate (1996) developed by Racjin
  • Galeoz (1996) developed by Pre Stage, Japan only
  • Imadoki no Vampire: Bloody Bride (1996) developed by Jourdan, Japan only
  • Peak Performance (1997) developed by Cave
Virtual Boy
  • Jack Bros. (1995)
Nintendo 64
  • Snowboard Kids (1997) developed by Racjin
PlayStation 2
  • Primal Image Vol. 1 (2000) develooed by Racjin, Japan only
  • Happy! Happy!! Boarders in Hokkaido (2000) developed by Racjin, Japan only
  • Maken Shao: Demon Sword (2001)
  • Growlanser II: The Sense of Justice (2001) developed by Careersoft
  • Road Rage 3 (2001) developed by Cave
  • Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land (2001) developed by Racjin
  • Growlanser III: The Dual Darkness (2001) developed by Careersoft
Nintendo Gamecube
  • Go! Go! Hyper-Grind (2002) developed by Poponchi
Xbox
  • Shin Megami Tensei NINE (2002) developed by Nextech, Japan only
  • Touge R (2002) developed by Cave, Japan only
Xbox 360
PlayStation 3
Wii
  • Trauma Center: Second Opinion (2006)
  • Trauma Center: New Blood (2007)
Wii U
PlayStation 4
  • Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir (2015) developed by Vanillaware
Xbox One
Nintendo Switch

You're missing a ton of games. Kartia, SMT3, DDS1 and 2, Stella Deus, Growlanser IV, V and VI, Persona 2: IS and EP and others.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
HD development is a lot harder than handheld.

Also they've been releasing games on other consoles.
This. ^^^
Why do people keep pretending that how long it takes for atlus games to come out is something new? Persona 5 took forever to come out. TMS#FE took forever to come out. All of them had years between announcment and the first footage.

I guess nino kuni 2 came out quickier, but that game was not atlus best output if i remember correctly.

And please op, you and us all know damm well the difference between a game we expect for 3ds and one for switch. Don't try to use this failed comparasion again.
The Ni No Kuni games are made by Level-5... fyi. 😅