• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What degree of bullshit is this?

• Bullshit

Votes: 57 12.6%
  • Absolute Bullshit

Votes: 68 15.0%
  • 100% Bullshit, now with 75% More Bullshit

Votes: 103 22.7%
  • OP is an insufferable whiner who is no fun, which is very much why they added this as a response.

Votes: 268 59.2%
  • Avengers 2: Age of Ultron is misunderstood

Votes: 76 16.8%
  • Where's the "paying for online is fucking bullshit to begin with" poll option?

Votes: 17 3.8%
  • Paying for online is fucking bullshit to begin with

Votes: 22 4.9%

• Total voters

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
As though their online wasn't bad enough...

My partner and I have been playing Animal Crossing, as people do. I have the primary account on our switch, and we have no problem sharing games and having different user profiles. That's particularly important for Animal Crossing, since each profile has its own house on your island and everything that comes with it.

Anyway, my partner was getting geared up to hang out with a friend. We have had Nintendo Switch Online for a while, thanks to stacked Twitch prime giveaways, and I haven't had to do anything extra to play with Nooklink or get online. So no problem, right? Wrong. Apparently, users don't just have separate profiles on a switch, they have whole damn separate accounts. My partner's account didn't have a NSO subscription. So no Animal Crossing online, no easier time typing into the game with its app (which is garbage, btw), no gates open for other players. Apparently my account had some magic sauce where only I could play the game online.

And that's when I found out that NSO has tiered membership: Individual and Family plans. Family plans cost 75% more on top of the individual membership - individual is $20/year and family is $35. You get nothing extra with that family membership but the ability to have the other profiles you designate as "family" on your account play online. Here I thought family settings only related to, like, parental controls, but no. Not when Ninty sees the opportunity for a little more cashish.

In comparison, it's like if I paid for PlayStation Plus and only one profile could use it. If any other profile wanted to play games online, BAM, better hand over a 75% surcharge, sucker!

What is this absolute bullshit?

Get on Era's SELL/BUY/TRADE thread.
Grab 2 spots in a NINTENDO ONLINE FAMILY account.
Pay from 10/12$ for one full year subs
Profit ????

literally just bought a spot for 1 year sub for $6 from SpitfireKit [/spoiler]

OP
OP
Optional Objectives
Oct 27, 2017
Unless I understand the OP differently, I feel like people are sort of missing the point the OP is making when comparing the PS Plus sub to NSO.

If you have NSO on the primary switch, you should be able to play NSO on all the other switch accounts in the same system. From what I know, that actually isn't possible, is it?

That very much is the point. It is not possible, hence my hyperbolic frustration.

Kapryov

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Because you clearly need one per your posts. If you want the functionality provided by the $35 plan, why on Earth would you only get the $20 and complain that it doesn't do what the other plan does. You're just deliberately screwing yourself. And it's not like the option isn't there - it is, and it's cheaper than the competitions. Just because Nintendo offered a cheaper option than their already cheap option, doesn't mean you have to take it if it doesn't cater to your needs. It's like if you wanted a red car, but it comes in red and blue. So you got the blue one, but man isn't it just a little too blue, not really red enough? What a shitty car dealer that was to give you an option and you willfully picked the wrong one.
You're making a lot of assumptions*

In Australia the family sub is almost double that of the standard ($55 vs $30).

Yes, it's still cheaper than Plus (which I don't pay for anymore) and Gold, though I never expected them to match those prices as the Nintendo online service isn't very feature full.

*Though tbh, I also made assumptions that it would be similar to the competition, and that the cheap price was due to the lack of features.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
For a family console, the setup they have for people with families is complete bullshit.

Want an online subscription for everyone? Pay more

Want to play animal crossing in your own island? Buy another copy or another switch

Want to allow your family members to play games on their account in a seperate console in the same same household? Tough shit.

Does you kid want to voice chat well playing splatoon with his friend? Sorry you'll need to get your 8 year old a cellphone.

Don't @ me with directions to the buy/sell. This shit doesn't need to be so stupidly complicated to save a few bucks. In fact none of this shit needs to be so complicated, the path has been set by the other guys just follow their lead.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
That very much is the point. It is not possible, hence my hyperbolic frustration.
Bruh you didn't even pay for the service itself. You got it for free through Twitch. I could understand some frustration if you bought a whole year and didn't know about the family account. But no, you're hostile towards us for explaining it to you and ultimately spending an extra $15 for the entire year.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, you really can find people defending any old bullshit, can't you?

Sorry? Plenty of shit to complain about with Nintendo (friend codes, lack of system chat, archaic feeling online in first party games, etc), but to me this just isn't one of them.

Online is cheap and services one user. Family plan is cheaper than buying two single plans, and can be shared with up to 8(?). I've got myself, my wife, my brother-in-law, sister-in-law, and a close friend all on mine. It's a good deal, and it's advertised clearly.

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
I will agree it's bullshit when you are using the same switch. In that case, only one switch is using the bandwidth. It's not costing Nintendo anything.

But I'm up to 3 switches in the house and it's a good deal. It's a major steal for anyone who's splitting it between 7 other people. And now that we have amazing apps to pay each other, it's probably easy as hell.

Shit, I could probably sell the other 5 slots. Hell, I could get people to pay $5 and cover most of the costs.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
Want to play animal crossing in your own island? Buy another copy

you DON'T need to buy a second copy of the game to have a second island
you need to buy a second system though...which is worse lol

Want to allow your family members to play games on their account in a seperate console in the same same household? Tough shit.

and you CAN do this in an identical manner to other consoles

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
But you don't have to do that with a PS+ Sub. You pay the sub in the primary account and all other accounts have access to it.
I could make the same thread about how PS Plus is $60/yr but doesn't match Nintendo letting 8 people play on 8 systems for $35/yr

The value isn't identical but that doesn't mean it's anti-consumer. It just means the business model is different.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Bruh you didn't even pay for the service itself. You got it for free through Twitch. I could understand some frustration if you bought a whole year and didn't know about the family account. But no, you're hostile towards us for explaining it to you and ultimately spending an extra $15 for the entire year.

LOL no kidding. The OP is making an angry thread over $15. I'm not exactly rich (I'm a teacher) but I wouldn't be UPSET like this over $15 lol.

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 17, 2018
You're making a lot of assumptions*

In Australia the family sub is almost double that of the standard ($55 vs $30).

Yes, it's still cheaper than Plus (which I don't pay for anymore) and Gold, though I never expected them to match those prices as the Nintendo online service isn't very feature full.

*Though tbh, I also made assumptions that it would be similar to the competition, and that the cheap price was due to the lack of features.
Well yeah I'm coming from an American centric view, but to be fair so is the OP lol. I don't know anything about regional prices, though it seems like that Australian one is still roughly in the percentage increase as here (just for the Switch tiers, I mean).

But yeah, the thread doesn't seem to be about inherent value of the service as much as it's about a set price, hence most people being flabbergasted - it's the cheapest console online service, after all. And no matter which tier you pick, it's still the cheapest, even if you don't take advantage of family account sharing. Per the OPs needs, they should pony up the extra $15 for a family account and their needs would be met, but they're literally acting like that's impossible higher up this page. To be fair, maybe that can't be done with the free twitch memberships, I don't know.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
you DON'T need to buy a second copy of the game to have a second island
you need to buy a second system though...which is worse lol

and you CAN do this in an identical manner to other consoles

Nope, games on the secondary console are locked to the primary account.

I'm a two switch 5 person household, I'm well aware of the limitations.

I had to resort to some serious fuckery just to make sure both me, my son and my daughter could play animal crossing involving making my sons switch lite the primary console (so he can use his account) and making my daughter use my account on the secondary account and then just playing on my son's switch lite on his island.

I love Nintendo games but holy shit guys none of this is excusable.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I totally agree Nintendo should offer a Nintendo Switch Online option where you buy one subscription and it covers all the accounts on the system. The fact that they don't is highway robbery. I also think the OP should get a refund, given that he bought a subscription not knowing his wife wouldn't be covered. We're both in total agreement here about how Nintendo scammed the OP. Don't get me wrong.

OP didn't actually buy a subscription FYI.

OP
OP
Optional Objectives
Oct 27, 2017
I could make the same thread about how PS Plus is $60/yr but doesn't match Nintendo letting 8 people play on 8 systems for $35/yr

The value isn't identical but that doesn't mean it's anti-consumer. It just means the business model is different.

That thread sounds fine to me - at $60/year, perhaps Sony should be letting 8 people play on 8 systems! Or 16! In fact, forget the $60/year!

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017

I had to resort to some serious fuckery just to make sure both me, my son and my daughter could play animal crossing involving making my sons switch lite the primary console (so he can use his account) and making my daughter use my account on the secondary account and then just playing on my son's switch lite on his island.

This is how it works on PlayStation, I forgot that Xbox has another library sharing feature via Gold.
Edit: oh and they have something like that for Plus, too. The More You Know!
Edti2: no, wait, it's just a trumped up version of what Nintendo is doing

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 17, 2018

That's exactly how it works on the PlayStation. People seem to be conflating account game sharing with the online services, but those are not the same thing.

Kapryov

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Well yeah I'm coming from an American centric view, but to be fair so is the OP lol. I don't know anything about regional prices, though it seems like that Australian one is still roughly in the percentage increase as here (just for the Switch tiers, I mean).

But yeah, the thread doesn't seem to be about inherent value of the service as much as it's about a set price, hence most people being flabbergasted - it's the cheapest console online service, after all. And no matter which tier you pick, it's still the cheapest, even if you don't take advantage of family account sharing. Per the OPs needs, they should pony up the extra $15 for a family account and their needs would be met, but they're literally acting like that's impossible higher up this page. To be fair, maybe that can't be done with the free twitch memberships, I don't know.
Yeah, it is on me with my situation. I didn't research it or understand it at the time, and was taken aback that Nintendo wanted me to pony up more cash just to let my roommate also play Animal Crossing online.
I did suck it up and go for the family sub in the end, though she will only ever use this for AC -_-

evetS

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Asia
Who wants to place bets on how long before the gf forces op to pony up the extra 75% for animal crossing?

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
I think the advantage with the PS4, if I understand it correctly, is you get to share both PS+ and your entire account's library too on a second console. Xbox One offers a similar feature too where you basically get 2 licenses for every digital download purchase (one for your account, and one for your primary console) so you could even play online multiplayer using just one copy of a digital game.

I think Nintendo only gives you online gaming for family members (and the NES/SNES app I think)

Nintendo too lets you share your user account's digital library on a secondary console, so you can have two accounts on two different consoles per 1 digital-game purchase.
What you don't share, even on the same primary console, are standard Nintendo Online subs: even if it's just for two accounts it makes more sense to buy the Family sub at $35 a year then (since $20 x 2 = $40), and that one is valid for 8 accounts. You can gift or resell the remaining free spots.

I signed up since day1 and renewed and I've paid $8 the first year and 12$ to renew for my 2 accounts, so 20$ total for 2 years of NO on two accounts and I can play online coop with only 1 digital purchase.

plus I have another 1 year aside that came with my physical copy of Tetris 99 for $19.

Doesn't sound that bad to me?

On the other hand I paid $55 for my PS+ where I only use 1 account/1 console.
OT:
Tho quality wise the last few months of PS+ titles have finally been as great as PS3 golden era (this month I don't care for the selection and I already own CS on Xbox)

Majora's Mask

Oct 26, 2017

By all means go ahead. I'm not trying to defend any business model; paying for online is already stupid enough no matter which service you're paying for (XBL, PS+ or NSO) and adding to Nintendo's overall incompetence in this space and I can sort of relate to how the OP is feeling. Yes, the service is really cheap but there are certain features one can sort of expect coming from another ecosystem.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
By all means go ahead. I'm not trying to defend any business model; paying for online is already stupid enough no matter which service you're paying for (XBL, PS+ or NSO) and adding to Nintendo's overall incompetence in this space and I can sort of relate to how the OP is feeling. Yes, the service is really cheap but there are certain features one can sort of expect coming from another ecosystem.
Idk. I'd love a cheaper version of Plus that assumes only one person will use it. Because I agree: it's dumb to pay for online and I'd prefer to pay as little as possible.

but that option doesn't exist.

I feel like that's a way more reasonable thing to be annoyed about as a nickel-and-dime scheme vs. Nintendo actually having a cheaper subscription for a single user. It's just a matter of perspective in the end, but that's always how I've looked at it.

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I can't relate because he didn't pay for anything and is using the service for free and basically wants more of it for free without paying.

Family plans are super cheap and can be shared with multiple people. There is value in the plan, even if you don't see the value.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
LOL no kidding. The OP is making an angry thread over $15. I'm not exactly rich (I'm a teacher) but I wouldn't be UPSET like this over $15 lol.
maybe you could teach the OP how to do some research
s9szpaN.png

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
on the other hand it'd be nice if Sony offered a cheaper option even if it was as barebones as the current NSO offering (minus the NES and SNES catalog). Some people just wanna play online and 60 bucks a year is still somewhat pricey (granted it's possible to get deals sometimes but that's the case with NSO too)

Deleted member 14313

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If we were to assume charging for online in the first place wasn't bullshit then the single vs. family plan would be fine especially in comparison to the more expensive offerings of Xbox and Playstation. But yeah charging for online is and will remain inherently bullshit no matter how normalised it gets. Which makes it all bullshit regardless lol.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
What? Each gamer tag on an Xbox needs online. Sucks for on the spot to find out, but when compared to other costs it beneficial for friend groups.
That isn't true anymore (since Xbox One I believe). One Xbox Gold (or Ultimate) account provides Gold access to every profile on the Xbox. I have an Xbox Ultimate account while my two kids don't and they are able to play online no problem (even at the same time on different consoles).

That being said, the Nintendo Family plan is a fair deal for what it is I think... although I haven't signed up yet as my boys haven't really needed to play anything online on the Switch yet.

Majora's Mask

Oct 26, 2017
I totally agree Nintendo should offer a Nintendo Switch Online option where you buy one subscription and it covers all the accounts on the system. The fact that they don't is highway robbery. I also think the OP should get a refund, given that he bought a subscription not knowing his wife wouldn't be covered. We're both in total agreement here about how Nintendo scammed the OP. Don't get me wrong.
Eh, scammed is a harsh word that I don't know I'd use in this situation, lol. I don't remember if this situation is explicitly stated on the TOS.

Idk. I'd love a cheaper version of Plus that assumes only one person will use it. Because I agree: it's dumb to pay for online and I'd prefer to pay as little as possible.

but that option doesn't exist.

I feel like that's a way more reasonable thing to be annoyed about as a nickel-and-dime scheme vs. Nintendo actually having a cheaper subscription for a single user. It's just a matter of perspective in the end, but that's always how I've looked at it.
on the other hand it'd be nice if Sony offered a cheaper option even if it was as barebones as the current NSO offering (minus the NES and SNES catalog). Some people just wanna play online and 60 bucks a year is still somewhat pricey (granted it's possible to get deals sometimes but that's the case with NSO too)
I'd love a cheaper version of PS+, too. Like, I could probably do without the "free" games on each month; it would also save me the headache of looking at their "free" games and thinking they're trash.

I can't relate because he didn't pay for anything and is using the service for free and basically wants more of it for free without paying.

Family plans are super cheap and can be shared with multiple people. There is value in the plan, even if you don't see the value.
So, basically you're saying he shouldn't complain because he got it for free? I dunno. This has been the first impression for all of us in terms what Nintendo can and will do with their online service and things can only get better if people start pointing out dumb issues with the service like the OP said. I share my sub with 7 other people, paying less than let's say the majority of the NSO subscribers. Can't I relate with the OP because I paid a lot less than him?

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Talk about priorities. Weird to get that angry about stuff like this especially right now.

Probably good time to take a deep breath.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
OP, I just checked my account to see if I had any spots left to give one to your wife, but I am legitimately maxed out at 8!

Pw9QbWD.png

I gave away half of those slots to my students who didn't have NSO so they can have some Smash Online matches with their friends during quarantine.

Look at this as an opportunity. You can buy a Family Account and just gift all the extra slots to other people!

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
That isn't true anymore (since Xbox One I believe). One Xbox Gold (or Ultimate) account provides Gold access to every profile on the Xbox. I have an Xbox Ultimate account while my two kids don't and they are able to play online no problem (even at the same time on different consoles).

That being said, the Nintendo Family plan is a fair deal for what it is I think... although I haven't signed up yet as my boys haven't really needed to play anything online on the Switch yet.
That's nice. I never played on xbone, so I was going off 360 era

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
I... don't understand why OP is angry about. Does NSO sucks? Yes, it does. But at least it is cheap. Even more with family plan.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The comparisons to XBL and PS+ seem a little disingenuous, or to be more charitable, ignorant. They are significantly better value propositions than Nintendo's online offering so it's not surprising that they're more expensive. (They also regularly go on sale but that just muddies the comparison)

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The family membership makes Nintendo's whole online service worthwhile. I manage a full family plan with eight people, so it only costs each of us around $7 AUD a year; and i'm perfectly willing to pay that for the NES/SNES games alone (the $14 i've spent on NSO so far wouldn't even be enough for two SNES games on Virtual Console).

It's a shame there isn't an easy way to upgrade from an individual membership, but this definitely isn't something worth whining about.
Yeah there is. Just select it from the NSO membership screen. It will prorate it based on time left, and you'll either owe the difference or lose some time if you have stacked years. At least that's how it works in the US.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017

I'm a two switch 5 person household, I'm well aware of the limitations.

That's how it works on every single console.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
The comparisons to XBL and PS+ seem a little disingenuous, or to be more charitable, ignorant. They are significantly better value propositions than Nintendo's online offering so it's not surprising that they're more expensive.

Not everyone values the extra perks they offer, though. Some people just care about the core feature of being able to play with their friends online.

You and I are probably the sort of people who claim every "free" PS+ game, but I wouldn't be surprised if we were very much in the minority on that. A lot of my friends don't. They just want to play their Destiny or whatever.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Many of you are very right, and through the overwhelming force of your arguments I must accept that I am an insufferable whiner.

I would like to personally thank the number of replies informing me that I should round up a bunch of other people with whom we could split a subscription, thus bringing the price down to a very reasonable price of around $4/person. I should also thank those who have replied by explaining that, in fact, it is a good thing to pay more money for almost no additional functions. Oh! I should also remember to directly engage with those who are asking whether I would prefer it if there was only one tier of payment, at $35/annual. Paying $35 for a service with the same features as the one going for $20 does indeed seem like a bad deal. In no way would I prefer a $20/annual service that allowed all users of the same console to play online. For that matter, I would also detest being able to play online games without paying an additional fee.

Sincerest apologies to Shuntaro Furukawa, who in his benevolent wisdom has seen fit to provide a tiered price plan which can be so easily split.
that's gonna be a big yikes from me

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Your comparison is really damn flawed. It's $60 a year for however many accounts vs $35 for eight on the switch. In this case, it's $30 each vs $17.50.

Or, if you have friends, you can all chip in and eight people get a year for less than $5 each.

Plenty of things to criticize Nintendo's online for. This ain't one of them.

Yep. This seems like one of the strangest things to get upset about. Their online service is fantastic value imo due to the SNES games alone and the fact I got mine for 1/3 of the price I pay for PS+