• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
I've seen the notion of civil war and this being the beginning of the end of the union voiced in some papers. Trump was pretty despised already, and he's certainly not done himself any favours these last few days.

Hakimy

Nov 9, 2017
In the Middle East the majority of people don't care. In fact there are people who don't even know about this largely cus the Middle East has way more issues to deal with and Corona made things worse. Those who know about it either make fun of it saying how the US interferes in other countries when there are protests and now it's time to taste the same thing or calling the US a hypocrite country, there are those who use this to claim that stuff like democracy and liberal values and human rights are fake things and we shouldn't hear anything from the west in general, and there are people who look for fake pics about large gathering or even any pic that shows protests to say that Corona is fake and a conspiracy from whomever. Only few talks about the issue behind the riots seriously or let's say the way most of you think.

thezboson

Oct 27, 2017
Covid-19 and Trump has dominated the news for months here in Sweden.

For me personally, every aspect of American politics is just incomprehensible. Completely and utterly incomprehensible. What goes on right now, however, is not. If anything, I expected it to happen sooner, but I guess it needed a catalyst.

Broken Hope

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ah, there's that complacency we have that makes me sick. Like our country wasn't responsible for the large colonial empire in history within living memory.
I'm guessing we should constantly remind Germany about WW2 also then? You're talking about history, vs what is currently happening, last I checked the UK wasn't still trying to have a massive empire.

Oct 27, 2017
I've never seen this amount of activism and concern from my friends outside of NA.

All my UK and Euro homies are posting and sharing stuff, some of them even went to the marches. They're all white people.

The only country I'm not seeing a lot from is, surprise surprise, Australia.

Feb 24, 2018
In Scotland, been worried for days for my friends in the states checking in on them daily.

As for here, seen things from concern to "serves them right" and pretending racism isn't and issue here... Apparently people in the UK have forgotten Brexit and the centuries of racism and intolerance that we have caused.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
In Mexico, we're dealing with our own incompetent government, but media still have give a considerable amount of time talking about this issue and some in a very surprisingly bold way (some media sites are calling him outright 'Coward', in fact) and are kinda good at highlighting that this kind of racism is not a new issue.

Ofc, Mexico is one to talk when racism, sexism and classism is pretty well alive around here.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
I'm not surprised there's still a lot of focus on covid internationally. That is the biggest issue for most countries right now. It's not that they're ignoring or lacking empathy for what is happening in the US, it's just that covid is a serious issue directly affecting most of the world right now.

Covid is a serious issue in the US too. The pandemic taking a back seat to other issues is not good news for the US. The consequences of that are going to be really bad.

Untzillatx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Basque Country
The news in Spain are focusing mostly on the re-opening of the economy after coronavirus and whether or not we're going too fast (or too slow). In second place, the political tensions derived from the polarisation of the parliament since the arrival of the far-right. I'd say the US problems are in third place in the news after that.

I don't think any politician has commented and I think they're unlikely to do so, will probably leave it to the EU.

Falldog

Oct 28, 2017
I think that it's difficult for Brits to really understand the situation in the States. Racism is obviously a huge problem in the U.K., and there is institutionalised racism embedded in policing here too (stop and search numbers come to mind immediately), but we don't have a highly militarised police force who are trained to think that they're soldiers in a war.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
If covid wasn't such a big concern right now, I think there would be a lot more solidarity rallies going on around the world.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
In Costa Rica most people dont think racism exist, but it does. It is not as prevalent tho, and our migrant population is more targeted than the afro Caribbean communities. Xenophobia and racism clearly exist, but the media really doesnt care much.
Our vicepresident was the first Afro-Costa Rican to be elected to office, and the president of our parlament is also an afro-Costa Rican (Tho he represents a very bigoted and religious party).

Media here talked a bit about the topic, but Covid and its economic repercussions are mostly what the media cares about.

Oct 27, 2017
Actually, after that Australian news crew got straight up assaulted on live TV, Aussies seem pretty pissed.
That cameraman took a riot shield to the grill
Oh don't me wrong, I'm not painting all aussies with the same brush. My cousin is working as a nanny in Sydney and was on the front page of the paper for the march.

I just mean out of all my contacts I see the least from the Aussies.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if everyone that is seeing what's happening in the us, is thinking about racial relations in their own countries.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

Jesus the fear in the ladies voice as it all goes down, this is how America treats even its allies, utterly disgusting.

I'm guessing we should constantly remind Germany about WW2 also then? You're talking about history, vs what is currently happening, last I checked the UK wasn't still trying to have a massive empire.
Ridiculous nationalism and wanting to return to being a massive power is what prompted the racist assholes of this shithole country to vote for Brexit, as well as the general racism towards anyone who doesn't speak English and isn't white.

The UK is not as violent as the US is but it is massively racist unless you have been living in a bubble your whole life

Last edited:

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
2. Do you think the U.N. and/or EU should condemn this behavior? After all, the UN and EU have condemned 3rd world countries and other regimes it deems authoritative in the past.
The EU actually did condemn it:

Even the European Union's foreign policy chief, Josep Borrell Fontelles, felt bold enough on Tuesday to say that Europe is ''shocked and appalled" by the police killing of George Floyd. He condemned an ''abuse of power" and "an excessive use of force" and urged the United States to act "in full respect of the law and human rights."

www.nytimes.com

Embattled at Home, Trump Finds Himself Isolated Abroad, Too (Published 2020)

After years of snubs and American unilateralism, European allies have stopped looking to the president for leadership, and are turning their backs on him.

G.O.O.

Oct 26, 2017
I think people in France mostly hate Trump and agree with BLM.

That being said, it might not be *that* positive. We have a history of judging the US as a backward, racist country filled with idiots. In the meantime, we always find good reasons to be racist and support police brutality in our own country.

rudeboyoslo

Jan 5, 2018
Coverage here in Norway has been HUGE and lots of people have opinions. I guess it helps that Covid is largely under control at the moment and there's less focus on the pandemic right now.

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
I imagine a lot of Australians are currently thinking
"Wow, I sure am glad our cops aren't racist!"
*Beatings of aboriginal people continue ignored in the background*

TheWraith

Oct 28, 2017
What do people from Hong Kong thing about what's happening?
Welcome to our world.

It's also interesting to people from HK how when things finally explode after decades of government inaction, the government tries to put blame on the protests as "instigated by foreign governments". In HK the government and Beijing tried to blame it on "CIA agents", in the US "Russia/China". Goes to show how authoritarian thinking is the same across the world.

Some newspapers are also wondering if what we're seeing is the end of the US as a developed, free and influential nation.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Lockdown makes it hard to gauge. I think there is a solidarity here from many activists. Otherwise, it is doing the rounds in the papers and there seems to be interest in what is going. Obviously the COVID-19 stuff is still massively dominating the news.

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela
The people protesting in spite of the President, racist cops, and the military being called in, are legitimate heroes. You men, women and children are literally putting your lives on the line fighting against monstrous injustice and institutionalised racism, refusing to budge even when threatened with horrific violence and persecution, all for a cause as righteous as any that has ever existed, basic human rights which you have been denied for far, far too long.

You are all an inspiration. A reminder that intolerance and persecution must be fought by any means possible. And I'm just a punk from England, sat here in awe of your bravery.

Fuck the LAPD.

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland

That's horrible but not suprising. Tory bastard.

Our First Minsiter has stated that she's sympathetic towards BLM but has urged to find an alternative way to show support and refrain from public protests because of covid-19. Public protests are still happening in cities here anyway so smart and understandable choice of words from her. Glad my country isn't run my unsympathic tories who only care about their wallets.

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
Here's the front of a Turkish satirical cartoon magazine:
EZksHZLWkAAKt5y

The middle aged Turkish man in the black power t shirt is saying: "When I leave from Edirne, that's when my Leftism begins."

Edirne is a border province of Turkey with the EU. Turkish men that look like this man are usually Erdogan supporters. So it's a commentary on the hypocrisy of Turks that are Right Wing domestically and Left Wing Internationally.

The black writing in the top left specifically calls out the fact people like this man criticised the Gezi Protests that happened across Turkey in 2013, but show crocodile tears for what is happening in America right now.

Maccix

Jan 10, 2018
One of the most shocking things for me and my coworkers was that trump could have come forward and said something like "I hear your anger and I can totally understand it. The White House does not tolerate police brutality on our very own citizens and I will make sure justice will be served to these officers" and ... that's it.

That could have brought him lots of sympathies. That could have avoided lots of what is happening. But he is going for...this!? Even the most evil people are smart enough to not run around,telling everyone they are indeed evil but try to control the narrative. Overall everyone I know sympathizes with the protestors.

btw Germany here

DerAuto

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
One of the most shocking things for me and my coworkers was that trump could have come forward and said something like "I hear your anger and I can totally understand it. The White House does not tolerate police brutality on our very own citizens and I will make sure justice will be served to these officers" and ... that's it.

That could have brought him lots of sympathies. That could have avoided lots of what is happening. But he is going for...this!? Even the most evil people are smart enough to not run around,telling everyone they are indeed evil but try to control the narrative. Overall everyone I know sympathizes with the protestors.

btw Germany here

Basically what I'm experiencing as well.

Regarding BLM: It is a pretty huge thing in Germany and social media here, at least in my "bubble". There are protests planned or already happening in most big cities. I think partially responsible for this is that Germany has its own problems with racism, even if it is comparatively small. For instance since 1993 about 138 poc died in police custody in Germany. Most of this cases have never been properly investigated.

Regarding the GOP: As a German I find it blatantly obvious what Trump and the Republican Party try to do. They are calling fascist methods "maintaining law & order" and human decency "leftist propaganda". The response of the Trump administration in the past week make it even more obvious that they are NOT interested in basic democratic values.

I don't think I need to tell you that, but the democracy in the US has never been more in danger. And if you won't vote for Biden you are all for it. You are basically doing what Communists in Germany in the 1930s did: Refusing to ally with social democrats against Nazis.

Jul 9, 2019
German media tries to inform people about the protests and US police brutality in general. Of course, partly because photos/videos of riots are an eye-catcher and sell well. But also, Trump's reactions are largely condemned (also by German politicians) and viewed as a sign of the US's further decline and destabilisation under Trump.
It also started a small discourse about our own issues with regards to systemic racism and police brutality over here.

Obviously, coronavirus is a much more important topic over here. I assume coverage will die down in the next couple of days when everybody had their fair share of riot photos and when Trump has been declared incompetent for the 100th time.

Personally, I support everybody's right to protest and fight for their rights. Not a fan of looting your small neighbourhood businesses though. Always looks like senseless rage to me. But then you have the problem of "disaster tourists" or outright fascists consciously trying to turn peaceful protests violent.

swift-darius

May 10, 2018
There's pretty good coverage on the mainstream media here in Finland, but it's mostly focused on covid related news. The yellow press trash is of course taking full advantage.

Feels mostly foreign personally and not really in my mind unless i don't see something interesting here or at reddit. Same as with the Paris or Hong Kong protests. Hard to identify with.
there's also going to be a solidarity demonstration in helsinki today, which I'll be going to

DeusOcha

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Japan
Japan isn't really paying attention, atleast for majority of its citizens, mostly dealing with a ongoing recession and COVID-19.

Edit: I'm sure Abe and crew are keeping an eye on the situation though concerning Japanese-American relations

Apr 11, 2020
Aboriginal Australians are mobilizing very quickly to create widespread campaigns and actions further illuminating where our own historical and present alignment with racism and the colonial-settler project is recognized and acted upon. As an Indigenous man, it has been an almost unbearable week coming to terms with the realities of where my friends, family, colleagues, and acquaintances sit, as they are demanded to examine themselves more clearly on this while witnessing what is happening in the U.S.A and having our current situation here given a bigger voice. Australians really hate being called out on their racism. Nobody has got anywhere to hide anymore, and I have unfortunately lost a number of people in my life now, though that gives room to strengthen myself with those that really are and ready to be allies.

There is a rather large protest that will be taking place in Victoria this Saturday in the name of stopping our own blak deaths in custody, and solidarity with Black Lives Matter. The traction is huge, though we generally have the largest protests amongst the country these days. I have worries, however, as Victorian police are a large force, militarised, and are not afraid of antagonizing peaceful protestors with force. When it comes to blak-led actions, they're just generally cunts from the start.

My grandmother was talking to me today on the phone about what she is seeing in U.S.A. right now is like what she and her parents experienced growing up in our own civil rights movement. It made me so fucking sad, because even though she is a free-er woman, I also see how hardened she is now in her old age, and what she bought into giving up living traditionally on our custodial lands, just to survive.

Last edited:

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
The news in Spain are focusing mostly on the re-opening of the economy after coronavirus and whether or not we're going too fast (or too slow). In second place, the political tensions derived from the polarisation of the parliament since the arrival of the far-right. I'd say the US problems are in third place in the news after that.

I don't think any politician has commented and I think they're unlikely to do so, will probably leave it to the EU.

Yep, no much different than the HK protests, except here Trump has more attention.

Deleted member 28564

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Tidbits and updates here and there as with most news. Not many (none, even) people are really talking about it, however. There were more conversations regarding 'WWIII', when those exaggerated concerns were still a thing. Covid-19 is still dominating the news. Unfortunately.

Oct 26, 2017
I am honestly surprised it took so long to come to this point. I am however not surprised that it happened. Every society reaches a breaking point.
As for Trump... Well he's been a laughing stock ever since running for office and has just turned the whole US into the butt of jokes internationally.
So his policy of hate, cynicism and fear isn't surprising. This is what people voted for. He is displaying the new US values to everyone.

Braag

Nov 7, 2017
Everyone I know is posting their support for BLM in FB and Instagram.

Obviously you have some racist idiots in the comments saying how black people are just looting everything and that cops are doing nothing wrong, but they are few fortunately.

Puroresu_kid

Oct 28, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think the UK government has said anything which doesn't surprise me.

Protest today in London so hoping for a good turnout.

Wordballoons

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's all over the news in France (or at least on RFI right now) and we are having massive protests in Paris over our own police violence and in solidarity

Zolbrod

Oct 27, 2017
Osaka, Japan
I live in Japan, and coverage seems minimal.
I have to admit I haven't watched a lot of TV lately, but when I do, the news is usually talking about domestic issues (still lots of talk about Corona every day).
Just looking at the front page of Yahoo Japan right now, and there isn't a single article about it. You have to click on overseas news to get a few articles about it, and even then it's overshadowed by Corona and economics.

On TV, foreign affairs like this usually only get a couple of minutes of airtime, if that. People don't know what an asshole Trump is, because few of his actions are ever covered.
From the people I've talked to, most seem to be aware of it though, so there must be some coverage at least, but to most people it's just too far away to care, and it kind of fits the image people have of the States here anyway.

Apparently there was an incident involving police violence towards a Kurdish immigrant here recently, so I've seen (foreign) people on Twitter bring that up a lot, and there was a protest in Shibuya, following the protests in the US, but I honestly don't know much about it. From what I've seen the guy was being restrained and there was no actual violence. The video didn't show what had happened leading up to it though.

Japan definitely has plenty of racism, and many cops (mostly in Tokyo) are quick to assume foreigners are guilty of something, but police violence is very rare over here. I've never even seen a real gun in my entire life.