Oct 27, 2017
What's stopping you from drinking diet soda? No calories there.
Water is just better for you. I am not at all on the diet-drinks-are-worse-than-everything train—if you have to mainline a carbonated beverage, diet soda is waaaaayyy less harmful than regular soda (or sugared lemonade / iced tea etc). But it doesn't hydrate you, doesn't satiate you, and if I can believe anything extra bad about it it's that probably still contributes to tooth decay.

I was a lifelong diet soda drinker and switched almost exclusively to water a couple of years ago. It makes a difference.

Clear

Oct 25, 2017
Connecticut
Diet MDew and Coke Zero taste good to me so I sacrifice some taste for no calories. 250 calories is a good chunk of your daily value.

Yes, if health is my concern, i would drink water, reduce sugar, carbs, go running daily, lift weights, quit my desk job. yada yada.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Okay lol. Good logic. Enjoy your diabetes and obesity I guess. Next time I'll make sure to pick up some heroin instead of Tylenol since they're both bad for my organs.
You shouldn't be drinking diet or regular soda everyday.

I only drink soda with certain foods (i.e. burgers and pizza for the most part) and otherwise just drink water or the occasional iced tea.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No. Sugar bad, artificial sweeteners good. It's clear-cut. I've heard of dental issues with carbonated drinks but that's a separate issue.
I'm not sure that we could categorically say that artificial sweeteners are good per say, I mean sugar is bad, but surely if you were that concerned about what you were consuming, you'd be drinking water.

ZeldaGalaxy94

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Sweden
I just HATE the taste of diet and every time before I try one I think "maybe this one will be different" but no, they always taste like old candy

I am so SURPRISE that people can drink diet drinks, so I rather drink home-water than diet drinks

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
I limit my soda intake to about 0-2 sodas a month.

Diet tastes pretty awful so I like to treat myself to the real thing every now and then.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
for diabetics to fix their low blood sugar in a jiffy

team "sugary soft drinks taste like absolute garbage and Coca Cola makes my teeth hurt and my mouth feel gross and sticky and gives me a near instant headache" represent

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017
Now that I have heard as well. You get used to the taste and have issues with regular sofa later. I'd like to get to that point but I just can't get myself to drink them long enough to get used to the taste.

I just keep my consumption to a minimum and tend to not worry a out it.
That's good, if you're not addicted no point to try to change anything.

Oct 27, 2017
if you regularly drink regular soda, you will think that diet soda tastes disgusting when you first start out, once you get used to them it sort of reverses, all of a sudden the diet sodas all taste great and the regular sodas taste waaayy too sugary, atleast thats how my experience went.

Mr. Shakedown

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
I only drink diet for personal reasons. I LOVE pop and to me that's just what you drink with a meal. I know that's a shitty habbit but it's how I grew up and it's hard to shake. But anyway, at 21 I was diagnosed with severe insulin resistance and nearly fucking died from it and it was all due to how much sugar I took in by combined with a sedentary lifestyle. So these days I limit sugary treats and only drink diet because holy shit I never want to go through that again.

Nemesis121

Nov 3, 2017
Taste like some shitty medicine parent made my take as a kid, the diet soda that taste like cough medicine is Doctor Pepper lol

Oct 27, 2017
There are probably some double blind experiments out there to see if the taste of diet vs normal soda are really that different. My take: they taste the same!
I am 100% certain I could tell the difference between Diet Coke and regular Coke in any kind of double blind test. They don't really taste anything like each other.

I am highly certain I could label a glass of Coke Zero and regular Coke correctly.

I am *mostly* sure if you gave me one glass and asked me to label it Coke Zero or regular Coke I would guess correctly. That would be the trickiest one.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017

I like diet soda, but regular soda definitely does taste better(outside of maybe Diet Pepsi/Pepsi Max).

Artificial sweeteners may mess with how your brain processes sugar intake as well. I notice that I consume less sugar overall if I drink regular soda instead of diet.

captainpat

Nov 15, 2017
I would gladly switch to diet soda only were it not for the fact that diet soda tastes like fucking shit. I'm completely fine with water and regular soda sparingly

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
They are sweet and tasty. I only indulge in the real deal on special occasions, but you're fooling yourself if you think there isn't a difference, even with how awesome Coke Zero Sugar and Pepsi Max are.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Somehow some people are convinced artificial sweeteners give you instant cancer. Probably because they didn't think to actual do five minutes of research and rather trusted someone else that claimed that.

Either way, that's a thing.

Oct 25, 2017
The Cyclone State
This is a bad topic OP. I drink only diet soda, but full sugar sodas do tend to taste better. Sure, Coke Zero is great, but stuff like Orange soda is much better with sugar. Mountain Dew regular is also way better than diet.

You not agreeing is merely opinion, most of the world loves their sugar sodas.

Jokab

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
if you regularly drink regular soda, you will think that diet soda tastes disgusting when you first start out, once you get used to them it sort of reverses, all of a sudden the diet sodas all taste great and the regular sodas taste waaayy too sugary, atleast thats how my experience went.
Totally agree with this. I wonder if you can reverse it again?

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Artificial sweeteners taste gross. Better to have willpower and drink the real stuff, just less of it.

Deleted member 50454

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
Artificial sweeteners taste horrible.

I don't tend to drink fizzy drinks anyway, but I had a (non-diet) Sprite the other day and it just tastes like fizzy aspartame.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
The amount of sugar in non diet soft drinks is fucking insane.

Diet sodas or seltzer only for me.

Emerson

Oct 25, 2017
USA
The only correct answer is "mind your fucking business."

Sugared sodas taste better than diet sodas. They are less healthy than diet sodas (which, in turn, are less healthy than water). It's up to individual people to decide how much of any of them they want to drink. Seriously proposing banning foods and drinks for lack of nutritional content is an endless, nonsensical rabbit hole which almost nobody would support. Give me a serious justification for keeping beer legal and banning soda.

Denamitea

Nov 1, 2017
I rarely drink soda but I've never had a diet one that tasted better than the regular kind. That goes for anything flavored with artificial sweeteners, too. I can always taste the difference and I never like it as much.

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
Diet soda tastes bad. I've went and changed any time I drank soda to diet for a few months before and it still tasted like shit. It's entirely subjective whether or not you enjoy it.

If I'm going to drink an unhealthy drink, I'll drink the better tasting one.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Artificial sweeteners (those deemed safe) have got to be among the top 5 inventions in recent human history. Great taste, no calories, no health issues unless you suffer from specific conditions. Getting used to the flavour is literally a matter of days or weeks, after which you'll find sugared drinks aggressively sweet. There is no turning back. Why would anyone get a sugar coke over a diet coke? For the sake of everybody's health, I wouldn't mind seeing non-diet drinks just taken off the shelves. Let people riot a week or three, laugh at their aspartame conspiracy theories, wait and watch the country's average BMI drop year by year.
All public health employees on Era are welcome to forward my idea to their superiors.
you said 'great taste'; I would think a lot of people would disagree.

Oct 27, 2017
The only correct answer is "mind your fucking business."

Sugared sodas taste better than diet sodas. They are less healthy than diet sodas (which, in turn, are less healthy than water). It's up to individual people to decide how much of any of them they want to drink. Seriously proposing banning foods and drinks for lack of nutritional content is an endless, nonsensical rabbit hole which almost nobody would support. Give me a serious justification for keeping beer legal and banning soda.

There are legal restrictions on buying/selling alcohol

HanSoloCup

Oct 27, 2017
Richmond, VA
I used to think all diet sodas tasted like garbage. But then I got older and my tastes changed. Normal sodas felt too sweet, along with very sugary candies and drinks. I started switching to diet soda and realized I liked them now. It's kind of like when I first had wine or coffee, I thought they were too bitter and nasty. Now I love them.

The only diet soda I still can't stand is any of the Mt. Dews. They have a wicked aftertaste that I can't get over. But Diet Coke and Diet Dr Pepper are a daily necessity (along with a White Monster Zero Ultra).