Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Probably 4-5 days of a vegetable stew I made. Anything longer than that and I don't think I can stomach it. Of course it depends on the food, too. I don't mind that time frame for a stew but for more solid foods, I limit it to 3 days. What about you?

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
I don't go more than 2 days. Even that is a stretch.

My wife will eat rotten meat (not literally, but WAY past what I would feel comfortable with).

Jeronimo

Nov 16, 2017
As someone whose goal is to always maximize saving and reduce wasteful spending, I need to appreciate leftovers otherwise my wallet would hurt.

My wife and I don't have kids yet, so we aim to not make too much food in the first place, so we save on the front end. Something like chili can last a couple days between dinner and lunches, but we just can't keep eating the same thing for for multiple meals for multiple days.

Oct 26, 2017
About 5 days or so. It's presumably not so good but doesn't seem to make me sick. After a week would probably toss it

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think I once had some swedish meatballs that had been in the fridge for three days. They were still pretty good.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Very nervous about all the people saying only two days. Am I in trouble? I routinely eat leftovers that are 5-7 days old.

But I don't think I've eaten anything older than a week.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My wife and I don't have kids yet, so we aim to not make too much food in the first place, so we save on the front end. Something like chili can last a couple days between dinner and lunches, but we just can't keep eating the same thing for for multiple meals for multiple days.
It can get tiring to eat the same thing, that's for sure. But I'm content with eating the same things 2-3 days in a row so long as I break up the monotony before the week's end.

Kaiser Swayze

Oct 30, 2017
Very nervous about all the people saying only two days. Am I in trouble? I routinely eat leftovers that are 5-7 days old.

Two days is overkill in many cases. Rule of thumb is 3-4 days, but it depends on what it is, how it was prepared, and how soon it was put in the refrigerator afterwards. A vegetable stew after 5 days should be fine if reheated properly. Seared tuna eaten cold out of the fridge after 5 days might result in some toilet time.

napkins

Nov 18, 2017
A week? Don't think it's ever lead to any poisoning. Depends on the kind of food, really.

Ploppee

Nov 28, 2018
Make my lunches on Sunday, eat the last on Friday so 5 days i guess? Kept in the fridge ofc.

MrChom

Oct 26, 2017
If it's meat then I usually give it up to 3-4 days (or freeze it....Last night I had some Pasta Bake from, like....May). Veg anything up to 5-6 days.

Basically as long as you're sensible, keep things in the fridge, and check for mould/smells then you're grand.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017

No. Capping at 2 days sounds ridiculous to me.

My family is all about leftovers. Cooking every night for it to all be gone that night seems so extra, always gave props to the cookers of big families.

I don't do it as much now but I used to make chicken that I plan to last me at least 5-7 days in the fridge. It's fine.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
Probably 5 days, but these days if it is older than 3 days its trash to me. I have an irrational fear of spoiled/rotten food even if it clearly is not spoiled/rotten. My wife is the guinea pig and will just take a bite of whatever it is and then spit it out if is bad. I think it's crazy.

Marvelous

Nov 3, 2017

Absolutely not. It's a trend that a majority of people throw away their food long before it's bad. Typically, if food has gone bad you'll know by paying attention to look, smell, or taste more than just some arbitrary amount of time. For most things, two days isn't long at all.

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
Depends. If it's properly stored, then most cooked stuff I try to eat within a week. Like maybe I'll visit some family on the weekend and come back with leftovers from some big meal on Sunday. I'll try to get to it sometime the following week. If I notice it in the fridge the next weekend I'll toss it.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
3 days max I think, but to be fair I don't save left-overs for that long. I usually eat them the next day or freeze them for later.

Rad

Oct 26, 2017
Depends what it is. But usually I cap it to 2 days. I try to cook my food amounts so it won't go past that.

Raza

Nov 7, 2017
Ohio
My mother put the fear of old leftovers in me, and it's tough to get out.

The absolute latest is probably 5 days, most of the time 3-4 max.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
I've had a pan of soup that's lasted a full week. I boiled it thoroughly every day to kill off any bugs but it was still fine on the last day.

Indalecio

Oct 27, 2017
Generally don't like to go more than 3 days, but it depends on how it looks/smells. I don't usually have leftovers, though. I've cooked with milk that was a couple days past its sell by date but still smelled okay and it was fine.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ate some coleslaw two weeks after making it. It was delicious! Really acidic and tasty.

Pegasos123

Oct 28, 2017
I think I forgot pizza almost 1week in the oven. I was surprised that it looked and smelled totally normal ... so I ate it and I was okay. Normaly I mealprep for 3 to 4 days. I surly could expand it to 5 days but after 3 days I cant eat the same thing.

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017
I am assume frozen for later leftovers aren't counted in this, so I believe 3 days is the longest I have waited to eat leftovers sitting in the fridge.

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018
I think 1.5-2 week(?) old pizza. Lightly spayed it with olive oil and baked it for a few minutes and it tasted fine.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Like a week if we are talking stew and it is being refrigerated and reheated properly.