Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I never said that the rape in the manga was good though, just that I thought that the manga was a far better product than the anime. I always considered the mangaka's usage of rape as a tool to illustrate how depraved the goblins are rather than a means of sexually stimulating the reader.

Maybe it's just a matter of perspective. I don't think recent chapters of the manga or side stories really use rape as gratuitously as they once did but I could be wrong.

The Manga is in no way better than the anime, because the Manga uses the rape portions as wank material, including nipples, where at other portions when not in these rape situations, it censors the nipples away. The Manga is far more gratuitous about what people dislike about Goblin Slayer, than the anime ever dared to be.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
This is unfortunately true for most of the game aside from the first 15 minutes and the last couple main quests/ending. Like the combat and character builds more than makes up for it for me, but if you came to Dragon's Dogma for the story and nothing but the story you're going to be disappointed.

Yeah. Gransys (was it Gransys? I can't remember the name of the continent) was such a bland and mostly empty setting. I really wish they did more with it.

I hope that if they do a sequel, whatever it is winds up having more than just one town and a bunch of long treks across empty fields to get to cool things. Playing the PC/PS4 ports with the Infinite Portcryst makes me wonder how I ever even ATTEMPTED the original version of the game without killing myself from boredom.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
This one is easy. Slam dunk.

PatRothfussGnome.JPG
having recently read The Name of the Wind, I disagree

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Came to post Bright and was not disappointed to be beaten. It thinks almost nothing about the actual ramifications of how the modern world would be affected by having a history where fantasy creatures co-existed for thousands of years. It just kind of plops them in to basically our modern day.

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
There's for sure wikis about it. I only know the french one but i'm sure there's one in english as well.

But basically, the world and it's inhabitants are all the dream of the god Lorkhan. Those who can develop some sort of waking dream knowledge of it can become gods (like Vivec for instance) but those who fully awake from this state, well, they awake, thus, exit the dream, and thus cease to exist. That's what happened to the Dwemers.

Anu is the Dreamer of the TES series (who, in turn, was born in a different Dream – it's Dreams all the way down). Lorkhan is the dead/missing God of space and limitations who came up with the idea of the mortal world. Every character we play in the TES series is, at some level, a reincarnation of Lorkhan (called "Shezzarines")*

Also, technically speaking, the Dwemer are still part of the Dream. They just became part of Numindiam (a giant robot they created to basically be the God of Nope, who is powered by the heart of Lorkhan and rejects the Dream just by existing)

* If anyone who played Morrowind wants to know how you can be the reincarnation of two people, or anyone who played Skyrim wants to know how you can be an aspect of two Gods, I'll just say that Elder Scrolls lore is fucking wild ya'll.

dyelawn91

Jan 16, 2018
This one is easy. Slam dunk.

PatRothfussGnome.JPG
Kvothe was one of the most insufferable characters I have ever experienced in fiction. Considering how much praise this book got from certain circles, I was genuinely shocked by how much I hated it. What a go-nowhere, overlong piece of shit that book was.

Last edited:

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Manga is in no way better than the anime, because the Manga uses the rape portions as wank material, including nipples, where at other portions when not in these rape situations, it censors the nipples away. The Manga is far more gratuitous about what people dislike about Goblin Slayer, than the anime ever dared to be.
Maybe there's a disconnect here. You're of the opinion that the manga is worse than the anime because of a more prevalent usage of rape, right? If that's the case I feel that we're arguing two different things.

When I was considering which is better, the rape scenes weren't a factor for me because they don't come to mind. I was judging the two based upon art, explanation of the world, characters, action scenes, etc. What I saw of the anime, though very limited, led me to believe that the manga is better.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
Elder Scrolls: Oblivion is absolutely the most boring and generic fantasy setting I've encountered anywhere.

i think it was meant to contrast with the oblivion gate stuff to turn the convention on its head. but they cribbed from the peter jackson mordor/sauron aesthetic so hard everything came off as generic anyhow

base_two

Oct 27, 2017
Star Fox is pretty guilty of embracing space opera tropes. It doesn't help that every game other than Star Fox Adventures seems to be a reboot/remake.

TiamatSword

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
The worst part about what Oblivion did to Cyrodiil is that ESO had a chance to fix it and they decided not to

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
Damn, I didn't know this. Well, I guess I hate Oblivion even more now lol

Yup.

Before Oblivion, the Imperial Capital was described as being a Tenochtitlan/Venice type-city with waterways and canals. Large parts of Cyrodiil (particularly the southern portions) are supposed to be sub-tropical rain forests leading into heavy jungles (or swampland for the parts closer to Blackmarsh). The middle/northern parts are supposed to be made up of valleys and plains before becoming rocky/colder (think northern Italy near the Alps) as it approaches Skyrim/High Rock.

But then Todd was all like "Hey, you know what's super popular now? Lord of the Rings movies, so let's just ignore all that and make the Imperial province a ripoff of northern European fantasy tropes and just say Tiber CHIM'd it that way after he ascended to Godhood."

Gah, I will never not be bitter about how varied and interesting Oblivion could have been setting-wise.

Nov 17, 2017
Yeah Goblin Slayer is painfully generic. They don't even both to give the characters names, instead just calling them by RPG classes. Like oh, what's the name of this Priestess? It's Priestess! I know it's supposed to be based on DnD but even DnD players name their characters, right?

Also any anime that has a "demon lord" is almost always gonna be generic to me, at least in the setting. I really don't get why that trope is so popular. It's usually such a vague and generic status. This is the demon lord... he is the lord of demons. Yeah, that's it.

Anyway, here is one: Chivalry of a Failed Knight

2e0676fb1eebf156fe96ffb29b1681891543532662_main.jpg

Can you guess what this setting is? It's a generic fantasy anime high school where teenagers with generic fantasy anime powers go to learn generic fantasy anime things. The characters have exactly the traits you expect them to. I actually was trying to find another anime but found this one instead because it's just that generic.

Naruto. Seriously it's fucking teenage ninjas.
What's generic about it exactly?

Naruto has some pretty creative ideas and designs. Jutsu became way too much like magic in the end, but there are far worse offenders in anime (ex. the majority of isekai shows).
The only jutsu I really had a problem with were the Izanagi because it straight up defied reality and didn't seem to make sense with how everything else worked in Naruto. As far as things becoming too much like magic towards the end, the jutsu was always glorified ninja magic. Naruto makes physical clones of himself out of thin air, completely transforming yourself to look like a person or even an inanimate object is a basic skill they teach children, in the first big arc you have Zabuza making dragons made of water and Haku merging into ice mirrors.

Barrel_Roll

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Playing WoW classic has reminded me why I was turned off from playing the first time around: the extremely generic setting and heavy reliance on fantasy archetypes. I don't mind it much now, got whatever reason. Everquest 1 and 2 would be my other choices.

tastybread

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if this has been brought up, but didn't/doesn't fantasy literature suffer from the same tropes being overused since jordan/tolkein?

I remember Patrick Rothfuss saying how incredibly bored he got with Fantasy whilst growing up. "you got a magic sword, a dark lord and a dragon? Theres your story!" :D

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
From an artistic direction perhaps. But the world of TES as a whole is rich with well written lore.

Which makes Oblivion worse, honestly.

TES has a rich lore, and, as I already pointed out in this thread, Cyrodiil was described as much more interesting in previous games. In other words, the direction of the game was directly to make it seem more uninspired and generic.

Remove its connection from the TES series, and the only thing saving Oblivion lore-wise would be the expansions.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
About Naruto, I'd say just the fact that it bothers to have black people and present them as legitimate fighters puts it above most anime fantasy settings. Stuff like the timeline may not make much sense, but the setting is pretty developed.

The answer is an isekai. Just recalling an isekai off the top of my head, I'll go with Isekai Where the Hero Has a Cell Phone, or whatever it's actually called.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
About Naruto, I'd say just the fact that it bothers to have black people and present them as legitimate fighters puts it above most anime fantasy settings. Stuff like the timeline may not make much sense, but the setting is pretty developed.

The answer is an isekai. Just recalling an isekai off the top of my head, I'll go with Isekai Where the Hero Has a Cell Phone, or whatever it's actually called.
Naruto doesnt belong on the list at all lol.

Im not sure why people have such a hate boner for it. Yeah Kishi derailed it huge at the end, but that doesnt mean it was all bad.

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, in terms of good fantasy world, while I do need to read more of the manga, what I've read of it, I've seriously been enjoying a lot. It's a series named Somali and the Forest Spirit, and Crunchyroll will be simulcasting (in fact, they're co-producing it) in January.

Here's a trailer:

I'll need to note, the series is so unknown in Japan, that it doesn't even have a Wikipedia entry. People know of it, just... not a lot. Seems more known in International communities from what I can tell.

It's a really good story that I've read thus far. It kinda brings back those horror fairy tail and bed time stories we used to hear as kids (regarding creatures/monsters from another world eating humans/kids) and I'm loving what I've seen of the world in the manga thus far,

Essentially there's very little humans left in this world, after a war happened due to racial tensions and misunderstandings. After the human lost the war, most of them were hunted or enslaved, and only a few humans are left wandering the world.

A forest spirit, "Golem", finds a human child, ends up becoming her surrogate father. However, after a bit, he journeys out with her in hopes of finding her parents (or someone whom she could find a home that she could call her parents), because he only has a little over a year and a half left of life left. Once his time is up, like most Forest Spirits, he will die, and eventually a new one will take their place.

And yeah, it's been very self contained stories thus far. It could probably fall apart, but from what I've seen of the manga, and what's been shown off in the trailer, I still have hopes.

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
Bright was disappointing because the idea was cool: fantasy races in a modern setting. It's just done half assed and doesn't really take into full consideration the implications of a world history with different dominant species in it.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Bright was disappointing because the idea was cool: fantasy races in a modern setting. It's just done half assed and doesn't really take into full consideration the implications of a world history with different dominant species in it.
Also, we have like 30 years of Shadowrun to draw inspiration from copy...

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
Also, we have like 30 years of Shadowrun to draw inspiration from copy...

I'm a bit rusty on lore but shadowrun was more of less like our world until the other races emerged in recent times.

In bright they seemingly always existed, going back thousands of years. Yet despite this the US as a nation seems to have come about the same way, which is odd given more much of US history relies on European colonization, slavery, etc, which isn't really confirmed to have existed.

Likewise people seem to hate orcs for what happened in ancient times, despite it being an Orc who stopped the dark lord (and won praise from other orcs for that). Meanwhile the dark lord himself seems to have been an elf, yet elves do not suffer any ill effects from this socially.

etc and so forth. It's just so lazy over all.

But a good scriptwriter and wold builder could do a lot in a sequel, thought his really needs to be a series rather then a movie.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm a bit rusty on lore but shadowrun was more of less like our world until the other races emerged in recent times.

In bright they seemingly always existed, going back thousands of years. Yet despite this the US as a nation seems to have come about the same way, which is odd given more much of US history relies on European colonization, slavery, etc, which isn't really confirmed to have existed.

Likewise people seem to hate orcs for what happened in ancient times, despite it being an Orc who stopped the dark lord (and won praise from other orcs for that). Meanwhile the dark lord himself seems to have been an elf, yet elves do not suffer any ill effects from this socially.

etc and so forth. It's just so lazy over all.

But a good scriptwriter and wold builder could do a lot in a sequel, thought his really needs to be a series rather then a movie.
Well yeah, but Shadowrun does have like 70 years of fictional history of the races living together as well. Plus, it has happened in the past, just a long ass time ago, with the current world being the "Sixth World".

Bright was a half-assed idea from the start, made worse by basically throwing in the setting as little more than backdrop and cheap allegory.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
It's not the worst of them but the first Dragon age felt a lot like that.

From the plot to the characters to the world building itself everything felt "been there, done that".

It got better in the sequels.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Gears of War on the surface was the most generic 00s shit.

Underneath it was more but man that first impression.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Most JRPGs aren't even trying anymore. There were much better settings in the PS1/PS2 era. "HD" just killed creativity I guess.

OP
OP
Toxi

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's probably more interesting to point out novels or games, but really, just pick any 80s fantasy film with a modest budget and you'll be on the mark. Something like "The Beastmaster" or hell, I'll even be controversial by throwing "Legend" into the mix.
Yeah, those definitely fit what I was looking for.

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
Honestly, in terms of good fantasy world, while I do need to read more of the manga, what I've read of it, I've seriously been enjoying a lot. It's a series named Somali and the Forest Spirit, and Crunchyroll will be simulcasting (in fact, they're co-producing it) in January.

Here's a trailer:

I'll need to note, the series is so unknown in Japan, that it doesn't even have a Wikipedia entry. People know of it, just... not a lot. Seems more known in International communities from what I can tell.

It's a really good story that I've read thus far. It kinda brings back those horror fairy tail and bed time stories we used to hear as kids (regarding creatures/monsters from another world eating humans/kids) and I'm loving what I've seen of the world in the manga thus far,

Essentially there's very little humans left in this world, after a war happened due to racial tensions and misunderstandings. After the human lost the war, most of them were hunted or enslaved, and only a few humans are left wandering the world.

A forest spirit, "Golem", finds a human child, ends up becoming her surrogate father. However, after a bit, he journeys out with her in hopes of finding her parents (or someone whom she could find a home that she could call her parents), because he only has a little over a year and a half left of life left. Once his time is up, like most Forest Spirits, he will die, and eventually a new one will take their place.

And yeah, it's been very self contained stories thus far. It could probably fall apart, but from what I've seen of the manga, and what's been shown off in the trailer, I still have hopes.

Thank you so much for posting this, I read everything that's been published so far, and I'm in love--not looking forward to the chapters where they give you a gun for your heart though lol. Will definitely be picking up the anime when it's out!

Shout-outs to everyone who posted here. I'm currently trying to work on my own hack-job fantasy fiction, but at the very least I do want the world I envisioned to not be generically half-assed.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
%7B66ACBACE-0ED9-434B-A55E-088218A7241B%7DImg100.jpg

Nah just fucking with you. Its probably one of the most creative and weirdest fantasy world I've ever seen.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Fantasy, i'd say it's Bright, hands down. The base idea is interesting but the execution is so half-assed that it's face palmingly bad.

In Science Fiction, i know i won't make many friends my saying so, but Stargate SG-1. The base concept, taken from the original movie, again is interesting. But the fact that the team almost never stumble on any aliens apart from the Goa'ulds and the Asgardians and that the humans they find always conveniently speak english despite the language didn't exist when the gate was buried or that they almost always are clearly from various human civilisations that where too far away from the gate or didn't exist yet when the travels where still possible is lazy as fuck. I've seen feudal japan dudes, i've seen medieval knights and castles (tied to Merlin and Camelot because why the fuck not), i've even seen fucking Amish people. In space ! SG-1 was lazy as fuck.
SG-1 is what happens when your answer to every question is, "that's too much trouble, let's just ignore it." That ep with the writer guy making in-universe SG-1 kinda reveals how poisonous that line of thinking is. And IIRC them being an official partner with the U.S. military probably tied their hands a lot, too. The main thrust of SG-1 is America-centric af and nationalistic as all hell; goofy, brainless fun might actually be the best fit for it...