Votes: 36 6.6%
  • Thor 3: Ragnarok

Votes: 25 4.6%

• Total voters

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
your mom's house
The title is self-explanatory: when you hear "DooM," what first comes to mind?

The shooting gameplay to me is it's most integral component. While the labyrinthian levels are absolutely pivotal to Doom, Doom wouldn't be what it is today without creating the gold standard for quick and precise FPS movement. I'm confident that if Doom released back in the day with linear stages, keeping the same movement and guns, it still would've been incredibly popular.

What do yall think? Could Doom have cut it back in the day sans the shooting, simply being a 3D maze adventure? Would it have had the same longevity without mods and such?

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
I spent the better part of my summer vacation in 1994 making DOOM WADs. That continued until 1996 with the release of Duke Nukem 3D.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Shooting things with guns in first person. While Wolfenstein did it first, Doom popularized the genre and the FPS genre began by emulating Doom.

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
HELL

jhluj4jn45h41.jpg

latest

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
running diagonally around a bunch of monsters to make them kill each other so i can save ammo

Mzo

Nov 30, 2017
I'm happy to see the direction the poll is going because I agree, and it's part of what made Doom 3 feel so off for me.

Log!

Oct 27, 2017
To quote Marty Stratton: Badass demons, big f*cking guns and moving really, really fast.

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Doom capitalized on the allure of wolf3d but made it real lot a gimmick (and I love wolf3d) it's the first person immersive perspective really.
The action is actually secondary to that and that 3D is faked! The level design is generally very strong and sort of archetypal but is latter. Wads are also cool but more of the culture than the game for standings.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Mods. I remember modding my friends' neighbourhood and school playgrounds and destroying pop-culture-quoting spanish-speaking demons.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
I think those first 2 options are what define the first 2 games.
3 isn't defined by jack fucking crap
New Doom and beyond are definitely mostly defined by the first though.

Oct 29, 2017
Fast paced. I didn't realize how much reloading slows down shooter gameplay until I played Doom 2016 when it came out.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
The speed.

Why does reloading exist in games? Does it ever add to the experience or make the game more enjoyable?

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
Obviously all those are necessary parts of a doom game (though i guess not mods for eternal, at least 2016 had snapmap), but definitely wads/mods came to mind first. Doom is THE mod game

xmonkeyofevil

Jun 9, 2019
Gunplay first and foremost. And not just a solid roster of weapons, but a solid roster of enemies to shoot them with.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Running and gunning. No other series makes the two feel so intrinsically intertwined.

Why does reloading exist in games? Does it ever add to the experience or make the game more enjoyable?
In survival horror, reloading is an essential part of the game design. Having to reload adds to the survival aspect as knowing when and where to reload can be the difference between life and death. Also for games where realism matters of course.

Although I agree there's a lot of games that are worse for having it. Like why the fuck did they put it in Mass Effect 2 and 3 when the first game was better off without it?

Bulebule

Oct 27, 2017
Level design, fast-paced action and not confined to realistic movement/realism in general. It's pure gameplay and the story is just an excuse for a setting and plays minimal role. That's what I enjoy most in first-person shooters. Gameplay first, story very far behind.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Doom redefined an entire genre through graphics, gameplay and, most of all, the technology behind it and the incredible speed at which it was processed. I don't think it's possible to point at and single thing and say "that's it".

Accoun

Oct 25, 2017
Probably running and gunning is the first thing that came to mind, but if you told me to think about it, the answer would probably be the arsenal - each weapon has a tactical purpose and each monster has its own strategy.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
Prior to playing Doom 3 VR I would have said fast paced shooting action, but Doom 3's not really like that, at least not on the same level, and the addition of VR made Doom 3 my favorite game in the series.

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
Continuously moving and shooting. You stop doing either and you die.