• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Given there is a bit of a surge in popularity of older 3D platfirners recently - Crash and Spyro, that great looking new Ratchet game , what's the chances MS announce a Banjo Threeie?

There was never an actual platforming sequel to Banjo Tooie.

If so what would you like to see from it and developed by whom given it wouldn't be Rare?

I'd like it to be fully playable single player or co op and developed by Ninja Theory.

Last edited:

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
I mean, it's only been 19 years. I'd say hang in there for another 12 or so before giving up completely.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
Well, Gregg Mayles isn't working on Sea of Thieves anymore and he doesn't appear to be on the Everwild team, so who knows?

I'd certainly like Rare to develop it.

Deleted member 70647

User requested account closure
Banned
May 31, 2020
I have no idea. Constantly boggles my mind that Microsoft has just been sitting on this property for years. Crash and Spyro did gangbusters with their comebacks, so would Banjo I bet.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
My guess is pretty low. I wouldn't mind a different company taking a shot at it

TheAggroCraig

This guy are sick of the One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
I'd expect a Crash/Spyro style remake/remaster before any sort of sequel.

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
After appearing in Smash, I fully expect at least a full remake of the first 2 games. Depending on how well that does, maybe we'll get a third.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Low....i honestly dont get it. Its still a valuable property, if microsoft wont do anything with it they should sell it to someone who will. As a banjo fan it fucking sucks. Im still foolishly holding out hope for a banjo game on series x that looks almost like a cg movie in terms of visual quality, like ratchet and clank ps5 and kena.

COSMEFULANITO

Jun 9, 2020
I think they will release it eventually.

The other question is: will it be good? And, will Nintendo and MS partnership in Smash will mean something?

nath999

May 7, 2018
Would be sick to get remakes if they want to see if they can regain their audience.

hrœrekr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 3, 2019
MS really needs to step up with their single-player exclusives and diversification.
If they are really committed to that, Banjo is on the plans for sure.

MagnesD3

May 28, 2020
Low but even if it were to happen it would only be good with the right developer. It's a dream game for me but gosh the odds of it existing and being good are just so low. I mean look Microsoft did NOTHING with banjo after that flood of love that came in when banjo was released for smash, it's like if they don't do anything after that they never will.

Dr. Wario

User requested ban
Banned
Jun 30, 2020
I've got my fingers crossed something is announced this month, but in reality no one knows.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's got as good a chance as any game, higher because of the IP, even more so if Microsoft were to release a remaster of the original.

Question is: Would it be good?

Well, Gregg Mayles isn't working on Sea of Thieves anymore and he doesn't appear to be on the Everwild team, so who knows?

I'd certainly like Rare to develop it.

Current Rare? Eh...

OP
OP
PenultimateFantasy
Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
It's got as good a chance as any game, higher because of the IP, even more so if Microsoft were to release a remaster of the original.

Question is: Would it be good?

Current Rare? Eh...
I mean the rare replay versions were upscaled aren't they?

Although if someone built a new engine for a new Banjo and converted the original 2 games to test it , I'd love that

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Only if Gregg decides he wants to make it. Not because a resurgence of older platformers.

Transistor

Outer Wilds Ventures Test Pilot
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Phil said that any MS studio is welcome to dig into their IP library, right? So I'd say there's still a chance that one of their teams will pick it up.

Aurora

Jul 22, 2018
Lemuria
Here's your Banjo Threeie:

apps.38397.63746241995916608.ef8c3344-9e5c-4485-bfdd-1b0b89424c00.58cf85ca-6c88-4e53-9649-3a78716df855

Deleted member 13015

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Low. Microsoft and Rare have shown little interest in bringing it back.

Atleast it got my 7 year old nephew and his friends to know who Banjo-Kazooie is through Smash Ultimate. It made me overjoyed the first time he yelled "hey that's Banjo-Kazooie!" when scrolling through my Xbox One's game library.

Jan 4, 2018
It NEEDS to happen. Either Banjo-Threeie or Banjo-Redooie.

I don't think we will see Banjo on July 23rd but I think the likelihood of something Banjo related being in the works is higher than some years ago given that Banjo got in Smash (and the reception was great) and that Crash and Spyro remakes were massive successes.

CalamityPixel

Oct 27, 2017
Higher that is has been for the last 10 years.

Zero chance of Rare themselves internally developing it though.

Oct 27, 2017
It's a bummer the first Yooka-Laylee didn't turn out so well, that would have been a nice spiritual successor. At least Impossible Lair was good, but that was more of a Donkey Kong Country kind of game. As for Banjo? I think that IP is probably gone forever outside of the occasional cameo (and Smash slot).

Winnie

Mar 12, 2020
Didn't Jeff Grubb said that there's another Rare game? I don't think it's Banjo Three but maybe a Remake?

Porco Rosso

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Chances are higher than ever I think given Banjo's reception in Smash. Still unlikely though, sadly.

If it does happen, my guess is it would be directed by Mayles but helmed by another studio.

Oneiros

Oct 27, 2017
There's a decent chance given how well the Crash and Spyro trilogies sold. They'd probably remaster the original games first though (even though they already have the 4k versions out)