• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
My all time favourite still has to be the fake Nintendo Switch controller which was all screen. People went crazy trying to match up the reflection of a tree to a location.
The most important was the HL2 code leak, but the funniest was this one:

6b010c1dd30f8d11a714f8e6ef5a11e2.jpg

The way this set the entire gaming internet on fire was a site to behold.

Allforce

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Most of you are probably too little to remember but Halo 2 leaked to the internet a full MONTH before it's release date. As in, the entire full playable game, Microsoft's crown jewel for the upcoming holiday season.

I played through the whole game on a buddy's modded system days after it went up and just remember thinking "what a time to be alive"

Papertoonz

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Pokemon Sun and Moon getting dumped online like a whole month before the game came out, shit was the worst when that happened

OP
OP
jukeboxhero2396
Dec 25, 2018
Most of you are probably too little to remember but Halo 2 leaked to the internet a full MONTH before it's release date. As in, the entire full playable game, Microsoft's crown jewel for the upcoming holiday season.

I played through the whole game on a buddy's modded system days after it went up and just remember thinking "what a time to be alive"

Sounds like KH3, but regardless that's pretty amazing. Did it take forever to download?

darthbob

One Winged Slayer - Shinra Employee
Nov 20, 2017

It was in French too if I recall. Similar happened with Halo 3, and ODST, and even Reach. The Reach one was pretty funny though, it was listed on the XBL Marketplace for like 99999 Microsoft Points and people were still able to pull the file and play it.

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
I thought the Bungie/Activision contract was pretty big. It pretty much laid out the whole series, and despite them being let out a year or so early it pretty much all came to fruition as far as I know. It even made it obvious that they rushed them out because they would have lost their chance at ever owning the IP.

TheRatedD

Apr 15, 2018
The Halo 4 thing is just plain hilarious, but I'm still amazed by The Last Guardian getting leaked by pen pals, lol.

W17LY

Aug 29, 2018
Devil May Cry 5 leak was massive. A guy playing the first 3 missions in his house 6 months prior the game launch.

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
The Halo series has had some great leaks. Halo 2 hitting pirate sites a month before release. The video of the Halo 3 Zanzibar remake that was set to an EDM song. The video of the Halo 3 Epsilon build that was narrated by some kid. The aborted Halo 3: Recon announcement. The first in-game screenshots for Halo: Reach being cell phone pictures with "Tom Morello" scrawled on them in MS Paint. The magnificent Halo 4 barn leak.

It was only, like, 2 days after the game went to manufacturing! It was crazy.

It was in French too if I recall. Similar happened with Halo 3, and ODST, and even Reach. The Reach one was pretty funny though, it was listed on the XBL Marketplace for like 99999 Microsoft Points and people were still able to pull the file and play it.

I think ODST was even in French, too lol. I think for Reach hackers were able to spoof or steal a reviewer's download code. I remember someone at the old place posting a stream of someone playing the pirated version in the Halo thread before release and Frank O'Connor dropping in and telling everyone to keep watching. Then the guy got banned live on stream lol.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Half Life 2 hands down, it's an old one, but the FBI got involved & all sorts, i also think it heavily effected development of future HL titles as many ideas for future episodes, spin off's & sequels were in the dev leak, there was enough cut content there to make multiple games & the leaker spoiled Valve's plans.
It's also fun to see how modders can recreate that scrapped content too, the hydra is especially impressive.

Last edited: