• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What is the best collection/compilation released during the last generation ?

• Rare Replay

Votes: 52 27.7%
  • Halo: The Master Chief Collection

Votes: 68 36.2%
  • Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection

Votes: 27 14.4%
  • Super Mario 3D All-Stars

Votes: 10 5.3%
  • Spyro Reignited Trilogy

Votes: 8 4.3%
  • Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy

Votes: 18 9.6%
  • Metro Redux

Votes: 5 2.7%

• Total voters
Jan 4, 2018
I wanted to make a poll and was limited to only 7 options so I couldn't include some other collections like Bioshock, Borderlands, Yakuza, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater, Shenmue, The Ezio Collection, Batman: Return to Arkham, Ace Attorney Trilogy, Mafia Trilogy, etc.. sorry.

Rare Replay - 2015

1zn7.png

Halo: The Master Chief Collection - 2014

ngba.png

Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection - 2015

iv6n.png

Super Mario 3D All-Stars - 2020

f98d.png

Spyro Reignited Trilogy - 2018

it6l.png

Crash Bandicoot N. Sante Trilogy - 2017

8ok7.png

Metro Redux - 2014

a1au.png

MrT-Tar

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Although it's hard to beast the sheer value of Rare Replay, my personal favourite is Collection of Mana - as we finally got an official English release for Seiken Densetsu 3 (aka Trials of Mana)

images

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
Banned
Jul 14, 2018
Easily the WipEout Omega Collection. Got 2048 out of the Vita hell, all remastered and with everything fully playable in VR.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I'm gonna have to go with Crash. A great compilation that showed the franchise was still loved and led right into a new fourth entry

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Of the ones listed, it's Metro Redux.

But the Yakuza Collection is probably the best overall, especially when considering that it offers what we're previously unavailable games on the platform and all games in the series on one platform.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Damn, this is tough. Really good nominations here.

The Nathan Drake Collection was basically a flawless upgrade to the original trilogy that delivers on everything you could possibly want from a remaster. Perfect performance, rebalanced trophies, new options, etc. It's the total package.

The Master Chief Collection had a dismal launch, but has had some of the most exemplary post-launch support in the history of gaming with ultra transparent communication, generous additions, and has become the best way to play Halo. There is a lot to be said for this game's turnaround and the product it is now versus the product it once was. I feel like MCC deserves honorable mention for showing how much can be done to save a product and turn it in to something great.

Metro Redux took two games with a small audience and just made them better. Just way better. Metro Redux is a great example of a rerelease that replaces and improved on the original in every way.

Rare Replay cannot be beat by volume and crams so many terrific games that had not seen rereleases in a long time into one incredible bargain package. The price to value ratio is unbelievable.

Honestly, I think I just talked myself out of even voting. We got some tremendous collections this gen.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Of the ones I've played, I'd say MCC is really robust and ambitious -- warts and all, of course.

Rare Replay seems pretty incredible from a fan perspective as well. I'd love to play it some day. The Spyro and Crash trilogies are pretty impressive as well, but I don't like those games very much, and that's definitely clouding my general impressions of the packages.

Mario 3D All-Stars... is a bad joke played on fans of Mario. Expensive, lackluster, absolutely no enthusiasm for the series to it. Just cold hard business. It's an antithesis to the spirit of games.

Last edited:

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry, but it's Halo and not honestly even a question. Yes it launched in a poor state but it is incredible now. 6 legacy Halo games all running 4K/60fps with ACTIVE MULTIPLAYER (!!!!), campaign co-op, Firefight, original + new customization... it's one of the best packages in gaming. It'll be played for literally generations to come.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know if you can call MCC a collection, it's almost a service game with how content is added in combination with the seasons.

It's my pick from your list though.

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I'm not sure about Spyro or Crash, they are great games but are more remakes than compilations (I hope that makes sense)

My vote goes to RARE Replay, the amount of care and work they put in the presentation is great, they make you feel good in playing all those games, it doesn't care how old and boring they are.

My second place will be The Sega Genesis collection. Also lots of care.

Third place: the Megaman X collection.

Super Mario 3D is NOT a GOOD compilation.

CliveLH

Jun 22, 2019
I want to say Kingdom Hearts All In One. Such a generous offering with everthing from KH1 to KH3 (included) and everything remastered to be playable today.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I dunno. I feel like I should cheat and say Crash Team Racing NF on account of it technically being a compilation of CTR and CNK.
In terms of collections of original releases, Rare Replay for sure.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
From the ones I played(Metro is the only one I didn't play) probably Crash, even if is more of a remake rather than a compilation(well, more than one options fit this so...)
Good from the start, great revamp and nice new content.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
The Uncharted package is basically flawless afaik, but the MP is a serious omission, especially for UC2.

MCC is honestly number one for me. 343 acquitted themselves very well in the past couple years. They got every damn thing from CE through Halo 4 in one collection, and it all - finally - works.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I've actually played most of MCC, Crash, Uncharted, and Super Mario 3D... I think Master Chief is the best value at this point. I still need to go start Reach now that it is out.

I really enjoyed and raged at Crash, probably my most time spent in any of those.

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK
I have all of them besides Mario and Metro and I would definitely go with Halo MCC. There is just so much content and the multiplayer puts it over the top for me.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
One of those has Perfect Dark and the Banjo games, so I'm gonna go with that. Perfect Dark is still my favorite fps campaign and the 360 version fixes the framerate issues of the original, though the character models are awful in it. I can't think of any game I always want to have access to more on future systems than Perfect Dark, with it being so eminently replayable.

Last edited:

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
I voted Rare Replay because with most of the other collections listed I already had all the games in question (Halo, Uncharted, etc.) so they weren't a big deal to me personally

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
MCC post patch of course is IMO the greatest collection of all time factoring in the amount of old content, amount of work done to improve that content, amount of new content, and how seamless they made the entire experience from playing different multiplayer games to choosing which games to have downloaded.

Most remakes don't even include multiplayer but these guys combined the multiplayer content of like 5 games into 1.

I don't even like Halo but that's impressive AF.

I really want a God of War Collection and Gears of War Collection so badly with the same improvements.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Out of those in the poll, Rare Replay.

There's been some really great compilations overall, though. The KH all in one collection is some of the best value you'll get, period. The Capcom beat em up bundle includes two fantastic games that never received home ports beforehand. The Castlevania and Mana collections included new english localizations of games that previously never left Japan.

Shoutouts to Disney Afternoon Collection for giving people a legal way to play DuckTales 2 and Rescue Rangers 2, two otherwise incredibly expensive NES games

Actually, while I'm at it, did that physical release of the CV collection that was announced by LRG ever get any updates?

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I will this to Rare Replay because at least was functional on launch

MCC only got good after a long time

Xumbrega

Oct 25, 2017
Brasil
As someone who was kinda disappointed with its launch and then revisited it almost 6 years later... its MCC, and it's not even close, seriously

Rare Replay is also impressive especially that some of those are running on emulation but MCC is basically a love letter to Halo fans, there's too much work there lol

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
As a historical collection, Rare Replay.

As a collection of games I love the most amount of games from, definitely Spyro Reignited Trilogy

toadkarter

Oct 2, 2020
Easily the WipEout Omega Collection. Got 2048 out of the Vita hell, all remastered and with everything fully playable in VR.

Came here to say this. Zone mode in VR is one of the best experiences of this gen. I bought a Vita specifically for 2048 and I'm not even mad given how good this remaster is. Shame it doesn't look like we're ever going to get a proper continuation...

DeadDuck144

One Winged Slayer
Jan 16, 2020
Master Chief Collection gets my vote, mostly because of its continued support.

The Nathan Drake Collection was excellent, but it hasn't seen any support for the PS4 Pro or PS5 yet. I'd make a similar argument for Rare Replay, in that it's an insane value and excellent overall, but no 60fps support for Banjo-Kazooie or Conker on any console is a bit grating. The games in Super Mario 3D All Stars were great, but the upgrades were pretty mediocre in my opinion.

Good call! This one is definitely up there for me too!

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Halo MCC is the best redemption story of them all.

Crash is decent, just like Spyro, Nathan Drake, Metro Redux.

3D Allstars shouldn't even be in this conversation considering how fucking barebones it is.

Oct 27, 2017
8ok7.png

This one right here!
The N. Sane Trilogy is great and it really raised my expectations for these sorts of things. It also kind of reignited my love for Crash after a decade of mediocrity and a near decade of silence/obscurity in mobile shovelware land.
Like, yeah, It's got some issues with the lighting sometimes and the shape of the platform's hitboxes can be a bit awkward in Crash 1, but overall Vicarious Visions did a great job.
It's faithful as fuck and treats those iconic system defining classics with so much love and respect, but it also adds some much needed QoL improvements and also a great graphical overhaul that manages to feel like modern CG feature while also retaining that Warner Bros./Roger Rabbit spirit that fueled ND's trilogy.

RomanticHeroX

Oct 27, 2017
Mario 3D All-Stars is, hands down, the collection with the highest quality of games, but Spyro did the best job of remastering. I never played those games when they were new and have no strong nostalgia for them, but that collection makes them look and play like a dream.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
Rare Replay, especially with the presentation around it.

edit: and the Wipeout Omega Collection, the best Wipeout game, and one of the best racing games ever made.