• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which model?

• OG 3DS

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • OG XL

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • OG 2DS

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • N3DS

Votes: 55 19.2%
  • N3DS XL

Votes: 135 47.2%
  • N2DS XL

Votes: 86 30.1%

• Total voters

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I thought I would like the colored face buttons of the new 3DS.

... honestly I don't now, after seeing it in person. I kind of prefer the look of my OG Purple 3DS. Weird, I know.

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
While I was extremely disappointed in the N3DSXL being forced upon North America, I actually think it is the best version solely because of its inferior dpi which makes it the superior system for playing old handheld games (GB, GBA, DS) at a pixel-perfect ratio without being far too small.

Also, when you play GB games at a pixel-perfect ratio you get a neat background designed like a Gameboy that simulates the screen depth of the original system with 3D enabled.

If you only care about playing 3DS games, get the N3DS regular

julian

Oct 27, 2017
N3DS imo. Gotta have my faceplates and colored face buttons!
Yes, this. I also lucked out and got two IPS screens. I didn't know if I would be able to tell the difference, but when this arrived I was blown away after having had 3 other models and none of them looking this good.
The New revisions are worth it not just for 3D but because the OS is much faster.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Regular n3DS is still my favorite. Best looking handheld Nintendo's ever made, maybe even best looking from anyone with the right cover plates.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The New 3DS was the best for me, but I got assaulted and lost it. 2DS is kinda nice when I have it. I have a New 3DS XL which I think I will replace with a New 2DS XL someday.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
The New 3DS XL is the Rolls Royce of 3DS models. Good luck finding one new at a reasonable price though.

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
TBH, given that I almost never use 3D on my N3DSXL, a 2DSXL might be a better option. I cannot imagine it having worse battery life but if they do, well...

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New 3DS. Unfortunately there is a screen lottery with the system. Some have the superior IPS panel and most have a TN panel. There is no way to way to guarantee that you will get a dual IPS unless you search for it on Ebay. All 2DS systems as far as i know have the TN panel so avoid that one.

Molto

Oct 27, 2017
I have a N3DS and N3DSXL, and tend to find myself choosing the N3DS. It's lighter and as a result more comfortable as a handheld, and the screen is still big enough. The replaceable face plates are really nice too, I have mine set up exactly like this:

y5mScf5.jpg

But if you prefer the larger screen, go for the XL. You can't go wrong with either. Unless you absolutely despise the 3D feature, I see no reason to chose a 2DS over a 3DS. At this point the price difference is negligible, so go with the extra features.

topplehat

Oct 27, 2017
Austin, TX
I like most of them, probably my favorite is a dual IPS n3DS (smaller size). I actually really liked the n2DS XL design too, but don't like how the buttons feel.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
While I was extremely disappointed in the N3DSXL being forced upon North America, I actually think it is the best version solely because of its inferior dpi which makes it the superior system for playing old handheld games (GB, GBA, DS) at a pixel-perfect ratio without being far too small.
Also, when you play GB games at a pixel-perfect ratio you get a neat background designed like a Gameboy that simulates the screen depth of the original system with 3D enabled.
While that is true, it's worth noting that DS games on the n3DS XL are still quite a bit smaller than a DSi XL if you're playing them 1:1. It's more like playing them on a non-XL DSi.

dsixl-3dsxl-hjj95.jpg

DSi XL on the left, n3DS XL in 1:1 mode on the right.
It's worth seeking out a DSi XL if you intend to play a lot of original DS games and want a big display. As I said earlier, I would make the decision based on display/device size and not pixel density. It's low no matter which 3DS you get.

TBH, given that I almost never use 3D on my N3DSXL, a 2DSXL might be a better option. I cannot imagine it having worse battery life but if they do, well...
All 2DS XL displays are TN panels and the build quality is worse than the n3DS XL. Even if you're playing in 2D, it's better on the n3DS XL in my opinion. It is slightly smaller, and I do really like how some of those systems look.

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
While that is true, it's worth noting that DS games on the n3DS XL are still quite a bit smaller than a DSi XL if you're playing them 1:1. It's more like playing them on a non-XL DSi.
Yeah, its smaller than DSi XL for sure but pretty much spot on with the DS Lite screen size

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017

dsixl-3dsxl-hjj95.jpg

DSi XL on the left, n3DS XL in 1:1 mode on the right.
It's worth seeking out a DSi XL if you intend to play a lot of original DS games and want a big display. As I said earlier, I would make the decision based on display/device size and not pixel density. It's low no matter which 3DS you get.

The 3DS scaling works differently on different DS games depending on if they are 3D or 2D, the art style, the effects used, the text font... so the usefulness of 1:1 mode depends on what DS games you're playing.

Also the New 2DS XL D-pad is really good.

Mit-

Oct 26, 2017
I just bought a New 3DS refurbished from GameStop online for $110. They seem to have a lot of stock:

Great price. Came with a nonstandard charger which was expected (I have other Nintendo chargers I can use). Screens were pretty good, condition was acceptable, especially for the price. I plan to try and track down some faceplates.

But yeah after scavenging for one, the GameStop price was way too attractive and the condition was as expected.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
The 3DS scaling works differently on different DS games depending on if they are 3D or 2D, the art style, the effects used, the text font... so the usefulness of 1:1 mode depends on what DS games you're playing.
Also the New 2DS XL D-pad is really good.
Scaling should be avoided at all costs on a low resolution display - though it will be most noticeable with 2D games.
Here's a couple of examples from the 3DS virtual console comparing 1:1 mode and 4:3 mode:
mario-11-hjkxw.jpg
mario-43-hsk1u.jpg

zelda-11-nvkrh.jpg
zelda-43-fpjhb.jpg

I don't know about the n2DS XL, but the n3DS XL and DSi XL d-pads look and feel like they could be the exact same design. Both are good - which could not be said for the DS Lite (it's awful).

OP
OP
ObbyDent

ObbyDent

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I just bought a New 3DS refurbished from GameStop online for $110. They seem to have a lot of stock:

Great price. Came with a nonstandard charger which was expected (I have other Nintendo chargers I can use). Screens were pretty good, condition was acceptable, especially for the price. I plan to try and track down some faceplates.

But yeah after scavenging for one, the GameStop price was way too attractive and the condition was as expected.

Yeah I'm pretty much thinking this or the refurb 2ds for $50 on Nintendo's site or $100 2dsxl on the same

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
Man everyone has different opinions lol
That's kind of the thing, unfortunately - there isn't one definitive New 3DS system. All three of the N3DS systems have strengths and weaknesses so it all comes down to preference.

Yeah I'm pretty much thinking this or the refurb 2ds for $50 on Nintendo's site or $100 2dsxl on the same
If you're going this route I'd get the N2DSXL. Might as well get a "New" system so you get the minor benefits from it, and I think the N2DSXL is way nicer than the 2DS aesthetically.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
My double IPS New 3DS XL died a few months ago and I ordered the Galaxy N3DS refurbished from Nintendo. The model itself is gorgeous but the screens are both TN. Really hard to get use to after years of use on the IPS model, it's really noticable.

I considered getting a New 2DS XL but as soon as I used one in person I bailed on that idea. Felt really cheap and the speakers sucked really bad. Don't recommend it.

JG_Lionheart

Dec 3, 2018
are refurbished 3DS that cheap? I was thinking about sending mine for repair (busted L button and I don't want to fix it) but if they're going for 50$ish...might as well grab a new one.

Jagernaut

Oct 27, 2017
N3DS or N3DS XL if your budget can handle it.

Unfortunately they're getting really expensive now, and it's kind of hard to find used ones without scratches.

You can still buy refurbished 3DSXL systems (black, red, and Galaxy) directly from Nintendo for $120, and 2DSXL systems for $100.

Cleve

Oct 27, 2017
n3ds non-xl. it's a better size for carrying around and looks better with that pixel density.

faceplates are a sweet plus too

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
New Nintendo 3DS will always be the best system.

nintendo-3ds09.jpg

• Improved CPU & GPU from the "New" series.
  • Small and pocket-friendly.
  • Improved PPI over XL models.
  • Interchangable cover plates.
  • Super Famicom-Colored Face Buttons.

I already have like a half-dozen cover plates for the thing but I'm so tempted to get more.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
That's kind of the thing, unfortunately - there isn't one definitive New 3DS system. All three of the N3DS systems have strengths and weaknesses so it all comes down to preference.

If you're going this route I'd get the N2DSXL. Might as well get a "New" system so you get the minor benefits from it, and I think the N2DSXL is way nicer than the 2DS aesthetically.

OG 2DS is THE system to get. Not necessarily because it's the absolute "best" but because it's the cheapest. At $80 with a digital freebie game usually included, it's at the "why not?" price range. And then the question becomes, "What other 3DS model do I buy besides the OG 2DS?"

OP
OP
ObbyDent

ObbyDent

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
OG 2DS is THE system to get. Not necessarily because it's the absolute "best" but because it's the cheapest. At $80 with a digital freebie game usually included, it's at the "why not?" price range. And then the question becomes, "What other 3DS model do I buy besides the OG 2DS?"
After trying out a 2DS at a gamestop all I can say is WOW is it comfortable. I might end up getting both a 2DS and another model like you said.

I actually liked the 2ds xl and didn't feel like it was too cheap. I was actually surprised at how light it is.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
I've had 3ds, 3DS xl, 2DS and N2DSXL

the n2dsxl is my favorite of the bunch.

the links for the regular n3ds refurb are almost in the too cheap why not impulse range for me. I am a sucker for collecting Nintendo handhelds

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Honestly the IPS thing is overblown. Enthusiasts are aware of it but you really shouldn't pay more to hunt it down. Not worth it.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I'm planning to get a galaxy n3xl refurb off the nintendo store soon, either that or eBay, just because my current unit (red n3xl) has a frustrating and unfortunate screen crack and I like how the galaxy model looks.

I'm interested in getting my current model's screen repaired, but that's a longer-term interest for me and something I would much rather not try to mess around with too much until after I've gotten a unit I can use to actually play on.

JMTF

Aug 27, 2018
Such a bummer. I'd definitely import one of the plain white N3DS with Super Famicom buttons if it wasn't :(

Is the Pokemon Red Blue N3DS too pricey now? it was the only model i could find for the small ones with colored buttons back in 2016/17

Plus you can hack it for out of region stuff.

Oct 27, 2017
New 3DS or New 3DS XL. You're missing out on so much losing the 3D. Even if you don't keep it on all the time, check out the 3D once in a while and appreciate how cool it is to have glasses-free 3D. Mario never looked so good.

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
You know that they added wireless file transfer to the New models, right?
The only downside is that the wireless file transfer uses SMBv1 which is deprecated and a potential security risk now - so it's disabled by default on Windows 10. It can be re-enabled temporarily (only do this on your home network) or if you have the Pro version of Windows 10 I recommend that you create a virtual machine in Hyper-V and enable it there. That way you can just leave it enabled and access any SMBv1 devices safely by loading the VM
Or just jailbreak the thing, like God intended and use FTP

VZ_Blade

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If you like and really need bigger screens then New 3DSXL.
Any other situation, New 3DS is GOAT.

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I like the XL sized screens but value more highly the ergonomics of the OG 2DS (which Nintendo sells refurbished with warranty for $50). You do lose a lot without the 3D in a handful of games (A Link Between Worlds, SM 3D World), though.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
The ambassador model (first 3DS model) is the best. Has 10 exclusives GBA games only available on that model. :P