What is better, Yoshi's Island or Super Mario World?

• Yoshi's Island

Votes: 434 30.8%
  • Super Mario World

Votes: 977 69.2%

• Total voters

Mad Gamer 64

Nov 6, 2017
Yoshi's Island is a top 5 platformer to me. SMW is great but not quite to that standard. I think Yoshi's Island just has much more going on with the level design and once you get a hang of the egg mechanics and can make throws while on the move it is just so much more satisfying. Not to mention replayability which was huge to me playing both on GBA as a kid. 100%ing Yoshi's Island is much more fun to me than doing 96 exits in SMW.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
It's funny because about 15 years ago on the internet, it felt like a common forum trend was to present YI as this god tier platformer that's also the best mario game, that aura seems to have faded somewhat over time, maybe it's the many samey sequels or something.
Mario World is just really popular on ERA in general. SMW regularly beats SMB3 on polls here.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Has any other Mario game gone as hard on a final boss as this? I think not.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ9VGiqcbDw

Amusingly, certain SNES music, especially music from Yoshi's Island, makes me understand exactly why my parents seemed to HATE hearing the audio when me or my siblings were playing games when we were younger. It's not so much that it's BAD music, but the instrumentation is often really, really obnoxious.

Oh, and I voted for Super Mario World.

And I'm leaving these here:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQzy-sAAizE

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyn5dq2HDRo

Foxisdabest

Banned
May 8, 2022
All the secret paths and etc put SMW on top for me. Loved having friends over or go to friend's house only to find parts of the map i had no idea about. They don't make games like that anymore:/

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
I appreciate SMW as a GOAT, but I think Yoshi's Island has honestly aged better. It's just consistently excellent, with amazing visuals and some really creative designs. It could be released in 2022 and people would be praising it as a modern masterpiece.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Both are amazing but Yoshi's Island is so unique and creatively is out of this world so i would go with that one.

yoshi-island-snes.900x.jpg

its just...so beautiful.
This is a tough poll for me.

But your point, I have to agree with it. Yoshi's Island's art style blows SMW out of the water. It's by far one of the most unique looking games on that system.

Whales

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
yoshis island is just magic.

smw is also magic

both incredible game. crazy to me that more than 25 years later nintendo still hasnt made a yoshi game that even comes CLOSE to yoshis island.

Stabi

Oct 25, 2017
France / san francisco
I really loved Yoshi's island as a kid but I don't have much interest to replay it now.

It's a bit slow, and rather unforgiving when you try to 100pct a level and then you need to restart because you didnt jump in time to catch a flower or you're out of eggs.

Yoshi's Island is a flawless game

if you ignore the skiing parts

And the part where you drill or you're a copter.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Yoshi's Island for me.

Super Mario World is good but it's a pretty by the numbers platformer in both gameplay and art style.

Yoshi's Island is just more standout.

Burly

Oct 25, 2017
The one with an annoying baby and bad aiming or one of the most timeless games ever made?

MrBS

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
SMW for me, Yoshi Island in the conversation though, if the poll went the other way I would understand.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
I like Yoshi's Island, but I will never understand why so many people place it among platforming royalty. Yoshi's Island is a cute little game that I probably would have mostly forgotten about if people didn't talk about it so much, but Super Mario World is still one of the tightest platforming games around. It's not even in the same ballpark imo.
I like Super Mario World, but I will never understand why so many people place it among platforming royalty. SMW is a cute little game that I probably would have mostly forgotten about if people didn't talk about it so much, but Yoshi's Island is still one of the tightest platforming action games around. It's not even in the same ballpark imo.

Jmille99

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The only thing I would say Yoshis Island is better than World with are bosses.

Everything else falls incredibly short to SMW.

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
I've never really enjoyed playing Yoshi's Island, although it looks and sounds wonderful.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
I prefer Island, because of it's varied level design and because it has done a lot of groundwork for the 3d collectathon platformer genre. Super Mario World also is an absolutely brilliant game though, these games are gems.

Lafazar

Oct 25, 2017
Bern, Switzerland
Yoshi's Island is beautiful and the gameplay is highly original but it completely overstays its welcome. It is just way too long and repetitive. You do the same things over and over and over again and while levels constantly bring in new ideas and challenges the majority are padded with the same stuff over and over again so the new stuff get diluted more and more.

And don't get me started on the collectathon stuff. 100%ing YI is just a miserable slog for me.

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
Yoshi's Island has actual art direction.
I agree... though I personally really dislike it and could never get into the game. But yeah, SMW is all over the place. Even as a kid I remember thinking it was weird that one of the enemy types were American football players lol. There's just so much incohesive weirdness in the Super Mario games that never worked for me.

Kyzer

Oct 25, 2017
For a series about plumbers eating mushrooms and jumping on turtles I'm not sure I would call SMW artstyle incohesive, in fact it set the standard for much of what modern Mario's style would become and still is to this day. I think Super Mario World and Super Mario Galaxy capture the aesthetic spirit of Mario better than any other games in the series.

But yeah Yoshis Island has its own unique artstyle that is totally top notch, in gaming overall. Even so I would say SMW artstyle (not just in-game but concept, etc.) is much more essential Mario than YI

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Smw is probably the best 2d platformer ever made. Yoshi's island is up there though. The bgm, controls and general vibe and art style of that game was so good

Fall Damage

Oct 31, 2017
I haven't played SMW in ages but YI will forever be my favorite platformer and up there on my all time list in any genre. I'm still amazed how timeless the art direction and graphical look is and it still feels amazing to play.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
Amusingly, certain SNES music, especially music from Yoshi's Island, makes me understand exactly why my parents seemed to HATE hearing the audio when me or my siblings were playing games when we were younger. It's not so much that it's BAD music, but the instrumentation is often really, really obnoxious.

Oh, and I voted for Super Mario World.

And I'm leaving these here:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQzy-sAAizE

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyn5dq2HDRo

Jeff Gerstmann is awesome and I love him, but some of his opinions are 100% certified trash.

The insanity of saying YI looks bad.

Yoshi's Island has actual art direction.
SMW is wild. I'm not sure there's a single game with a wider gulf between the quality of the character designs and literally every other visual thing.

Toxel

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 26, 2022
Always thought yoshi's island was better untill i progressed further into the game. Level design really becomes tedious at some point. Woolly World is much better.

Gaucho Power

alt account
Banned
Feb 10, 2021
Never played Yoshi's Island so I'm gonna vote Mario. My only experience with Yoshi games is the one for N64 and while it was fun, it wasn't anything mind blowing like most Mario games are. I do like the art design of YI, it has neat colors and the background art really stands out.

Dog Weissman

Banned
Sep 12, 2020
I've actually never been able to finish Yoshi's Island and I've started playthroughs of it a handful of times over the years. Whereas I've beaten SMW a few different times in comparison. So SMW for me personally.

That all said, I've played these games after their original release heydays so I'm not really sure what my thoughts on them would have been if I'd been there for these games as they released. I could see how people who were around for the Super Mario titles, especially going from NES to SNES could find SMW a bit boring/vanilla but then enjoy YI much more in contrast.
This is my exact take as well.

Toño

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Spain
For me, Yoshi' Island without a doubt.
SMW is amazing, but SMB3 is even better.
If the poll was between SMB3 and YI, I don't know my vote. That would be hard.

AndTAR

Oct 28, 2017
I voted Yoshi's Island, because I believe Nintendo's core identity is utilizing technology to push gameplay ideas without going overboard.

I think Super FX 2 was used in this manner in Yoshi's Island; They don't use the new technology to push excessive 3D effects, but instead opt for more mature 2D effects (with select 3D elements) to maximize new gameplay ideas.

I think this careful, more restrained way of handling new technology clearly demonstrates Nintendo's core values.

(Edited for clarity)

Last edited:

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
t's funny because about 15 years ago on the internet, it felt like a common forum trend was to present YI as this god tier platformer that's also the best mario game, that aura seems to have faded somewhat over time, maybe it's the many samey sequels or something.

happens a lot with "black sheep" sequels. ten years later they become the best game that everybody passed up, then ten years later the game is still good but maybe not quite as great as its reputation entails

samey and as arguably worse some of the NSMB games are (and i include mario maker in that) i think people realized they preferred the classic style platforming in their mario games. which to nintendo's credit they made Yoshi platformers its own thing pretty shortly after YI anyhow

Last edited:

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I thought Yoshi's Island would be winning by a landslide, with its incredible creativity, level to level variety, and amazing art design. Super Mario World is fun but it has a lot of signs of being an early SNES game. I also think that both Mario 3 & NSMBU (don't laugh) are better in a lot of ways.

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017
Yoshi's Island is a cute little game that I probably would have mostly forgotten about if people didn't talk about it so much

Did you perhaps stop and think about the fact that people talk about it so much because it is a masterpiece.

I get having a preference and opinion, but anyone saying one is better than the and "it's not even close" is straight up lying ☺️

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
I feel that they're different enough that I cannot pick a favorite. They play and flow differently, art styles are way different, etc.

Both are amazing games.