• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
bruv4nju7.png

www.youtube.com

Watch Naruto.avi

My favorite quote from "Attack the Block".

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
I've been reading this series each month and they've mostly been whatever, not great but fine. However, on Tuesday when I picked this issue up and read it I was Shocked. It's a train wreck of stereotypes and out of place AAVE. Just mind blowing. It opens with a TWO PAGE rap.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
There's a callback at the end too where thunder cracks and there's another rhyme that ends in "best believe it bruv" before he powers up. Like the "song" coming back is to hype the climax. My jaw actually dropped when I saw those words again

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I actually spit out my drink when I read "By Odin's Fade"

Nothing about this year could've prepared me for that.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Looking at the other comics on the writer's website. There are two involving a character named "Chunky" which are described as though they're about the author's childhood. They're about a Jewish Latino boy who draws comics for fun. The second book has him go to a Jewish summer camp.

I guess that doesn't preclude him being Black, but Sci-Fu isn't described as a memoir.

EDIT: Correction, Hudi is the name of the character, Chunky is his imaginary friend.

VinylCassette64

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
It is astonishing in how bad it is.
The fact that it went through scripting, drawing, inking, editing, approval by higher ups, then made it onto comic shelves, and NOBODY in that entire process cried out "Stop this white nonsense!"
This is written by a guy whose only exposure to black people is The Boondocks.

I feel like if The Boondocks wrote a character like this in the show/comics, it would be presented as an absolute pisstake and at least someone in-universe would be dogging them out as the corniest buffoon they had ever seen.

This is "The Room" levels of taking some material anyone outside the writer's room/inner circle would warn you is phenomenal garbage and playing it completely deadpan. Was the writer for this a script doctor for Shaq's savage rhythms and rhymes in Kazaam?

Last edited:

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
He also hits a frost Giant with his hammer and yells "flip it and reverse it!" a very timely Missy Elliott reference.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Miles Morales continues his run of being a shit character?

Yes, the whole What-if MIles Morales series has been wack, sue me.
But honestly these guys outdid themselves.....its almost worthy of praise, cuz maybe its just us who dont get it and this is a parody.

With what the writers/editors have done/been doing with this character.
He deserves it.
Atleast Carol got ejected from her own book by a literally nobody with no personality who is more interesting than her.

Miles Morales doesnt have the decency to frikken go away for a while.
Disappear into the multiverse for a year until Marvel can figure out a way to make him worth the ink they are wasting on him.
what is it about this character that has caused him to spectacularly flop in written format, but succeed in other mediums? are there any other characters like this?
Marvel cant figure out a way to make him interesting, and using his "urbanness" as a character trait just isnt working because the people writing him dont know what they are talking about.
Utter trash character

<---Yes, I have a stark hatred of Miles partly if not solely because Marvel are so intent on forcing him down our throats.
634036_7bd2d51e307245cf9363498b4be02456~mv2.png

Zaverious

Oct 25, 2017
Suddenly cancel a Luke Cage mini series about him dealing with police brutality but publish this some months later instead. Imagine that lol

sprsk

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
So the "bruv" thing I assume is because Asgardians typically speak with a mid-atlantic accent so he went with a Britishism?

5th graders could write better rhymes than that tho.

PopQuiz

Dec 11, 2017
I've read every mainline Miles Morales comic through the Clone stuff. Is there a reason why Marvel never had a black or Latin writer ever as the main author for Miles? It seems bonkers to me how that has never been an issue addressed? Some of the dialogue (both Spanish or AAE) from Bendis and Ahmed is borderline offensive.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
The sad part, the REALLY SAD PART is you really could do an amazing story using asgard as an allagory for the inner city

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
I've read every mainline Miles Morales comic through the Clone stuff. Is there a reason why Marvel never had a black or Latin writer ever as the main author for Miles? It seems bonkers to me how that has never been an issue addressed? Some of the dialogue (both Spanish or AAE) from Bendis and Ahmed is borderline offensive.

Would love to see Vita Ayala take a crack at it

Mancha

alt account
Banned
Oct 23, 2021
what is it about this character that has caused him to spectacularly flop in written format, but succeed in other mediums? are there any other characters like this?
White dudes created him and continue to write him in comics
I don't live in the US and English isn't my first language, so I don't really understand how badly written this is, art looks good though. Better than a lot of Miles comics since he was brought to Earth 616.

And yeah at this point I just don't care about comic book Miles anymore, so far I haven't read anything that I liked so I just kinda waiting for someone actually good to come with a good take on Miles. I do think that he is one of their best characters thanks to Into the Spider-Verse and the PS5 game though. I think the same will end up happening with Ironheart, one of my fav Marvel Snap cards and soon to have their own Disney+ show.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't that the What If series? Is that what it does?

It's a common implementation, but the original premise is more if some iconic moment had happened differently, whether an iconic success was a failure, or something that didn't happen... did. The first What If? being 'What If Spider-Man had Joined the "Fantastic Four?', and perhaps the most infamous 'What If Gwen Stacy had lived?'

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
Miles from the start has had a father named after the President of the Confederacy, so Marvel not having the sense to hire some sensitivity readers is about par for the course.

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are those motherfucking sneakers on powerlines...? This shit cannot be real, this is what if 4chan made a black superhero comic.
What's the significance of the sneakers btw? Where I'm from (very white Europe) you see this a lot too, like it's normal, is there a different connotation in America?

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
THE EDITOR IN CHIEF OF MARVEL COMICS IS A WHITE DUDE WHO PRETENDED TO BE ASIAN FOR YEARS AND STILL HAS HIS JOB

like fuck, from the top down, the company is clown shoes

OP
OP

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
White dudes created him and continue to write him in comics

Thing is, same applies to T'Challa (though he has had some runs by black writers), but it has NEVER been this bad for him

I feel like in other media, they try to write him as a *black person* with all the things that go with being a person.

And in the comics, they go for THE BLACK SPIDER-MAN WHO IS BLACK*

*which we know because we've seen black memes

Though, that said, I hear that he had a writer that did a very good run recently.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
What's the significance of the sneakers btw? Where I'm from (very white Europe) you see this a lot too, like it's normal, is there a different connotation in America?

While it can happen anywhere, it's very much used as visual shorthand for 'the hood' - meaning, black American neighbourhoods - in American media