Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Certainly not where I live. Neither my girlfriend nor anyone I know has ever been street harassed. I've also never witnessed street harassment and I'm walking around outside a lot in a city of nearly 600.000.
Unless you know very few women I find it exceptionally hard to believe that none of them have ever experienced any sexual harassment in their life, nor that they need to take any additional thoughts or precautions with them when they go about life. At the very least most women are hyper-aware above that of most men when it comes to situations like clubs and going out at night. If that is the case then I'm happy to hear it, but it really isn't reliant on bad neighbourhoods.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How common is it to be assaulted by a stranger at night? I thought the vast majority of sexual assault, rapes, and other such were at the hands of someone familiar to the victim? I guess it would work if the hypothetical was "what if men didn't exist from 9pm to 9am", but otherwise I expect a lot of straight women would just be spending time indoors with men anyway...

To me it kind of seems similar to the paranoia parents have about their kids being snatched off the streets. Of course it happens and it's terrible, but is it even in the top 20 of most likely ways someone could fuck up your life?
It's not... 7 out of 10 rapes are committed by someone known to the victim.
Yes, women are more likely to know their rapist. That doesn't cover all the catcalling, stalking, and other intimidating behaviors done by strangers. The thought experiment is still applicable.

Frunkle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Inflammatory Drive-by Post and Threadwhining
Lol what an incredibly silly idea. Not even worth discussing.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Big city in west Germany.

Yeah, in the end it boils down to that. Stay out of shitty neighborhoods if you somehow can avoid it.

Ah, maybe it's different in West Germany, but in America, having traveled extensively throughout this country, I can tell you that the size of the city does not preclude street harassment. From a town of 6000 people to Downtown New York, I witness (or rather, hear) it nearly every time I go out for a good time at night.

Lots of catcalling and verbal harassment of course.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Unless you know very few women I find it exceptionally hard to believe that none of them have ever experienced any sexual harassment in their life, nor that they need to take any additional thoughts or precautions with them when they go about life. At the very least most women are hyper-aware above that of most men when it comes to situations like clubs and going out at night. If that is the case then I'm happy to hear it, but it really isn't reliant on bad neighbourhoods.
I was specifically talking about street harassment because one poster claimed every women experiences this.

Well that may be true for America but certainly not where I live.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
That's great that you were already aware of it, but even in this thread, there are people who didn't know what women really went through until they sat down and talked to their girlfriends or mothers about it and its important that more people understand exactly what's going on in the world. It's a hypothetical to show that women deal with on a daily basis, that's it. While you might see it as painting all men with a broad stroke, when it comes to being out and about at night, you can't tell who specifically are problems and who aren't. It's a general fear that spreads towards random guys just because of how common it is and what some of us have been through ourselves. It's not trying to say that all men are terrible, but it's just trying to go for the most all-encompassing wording that would allow for the most stories to be told and heard. Because that's what this is really about, the fears that women face and the realities of why those fears are there. The goal of this is for men to sit down and listen and understand. Where we go from there, I'm not sure. But we have to get people to actually listen and understand before we can even get to that point.
I agree with your comment and everything you're saying, but this kind of nuance is notably absent from the premise of the discussion, and especially in every derisive comment in this thread, which only serves to further stoke the fire.

The article is not requiring you to do anything but listen to its testimonies. You can do that and maybe ponder on them to better understand what the experience generally is like for a woman in that position. It's calling for empathy, which is in very short supply. All solutions come from understanding. And judging from this thread, that is also in short supply.
Do you understand what I'm trying to say though? You're asking from empathy from the group the premise of your argument basically demonizes. Sure, you can count on a part of that group to already come into this discussion with the empathy required, and you can count on another part to really read between the lines and garner newfound empathy from the testimonies. But the way this thought experiment is phrased inherently makes sure another part will be on the defensive. My point is that the phrasing of this whole conversation in detrimental to what you're actually trying to accomplish with it, as is evident in this very thread. A good example of something in the same vein was posted a little while back. The article that's titled something like "fathers, this is why your daughters didn't tell you about their sexual assault".

Roy

Oct 27, 2017
Is this an American article? I see many women out late in Ottawa and Toronto.

Oct 26, 2017
Men get a curfew.
Evening/Night dating scene ceases to exist.
Less incentive for women to go out at night.
Everyone gets a good night's rest, less drunk driving, less drug abuse.
Increased rest leads to lowered stress in general population.
The world becomes a happier place.

Swap men and women for the same result.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are you being wilfully ignorant? Because it seems like you're purposefully misunderstanding my point.

Those things I mentioned are examples of potential 'thought experiments' that paint with such broad strokes that they are somewhat demonising of a certain type of people, unhelpful, harmful, and offers no real solutions...

Hey, Americans keep bombing the Middle East, thought experiment: What if all Americans, men, women and children were lobotomised, would the Middle East be a safer place? It's probable... Is it a good suggestion? Is it even worth discussing? Not in my opinion, as much as I would love the bombing of the Middle East to stop.

There are REAL solutions where we don't demonise a whole group of people... These kind of suggestions do nothing but cause friction, as you can see by this very threat.

This thread is not about the middle east. It's about how women feel walking out at night due to the fear of violent acts towards them which are mostly committed by men, and how that would be impacted by removing men from that particular equation. It's as simple as that. If you feel like that is an attack on all men, you either suffer from severe reading comprehension or have a problem acknowledging what this very real issue is to begin with. My guess would be both.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How good is a hypothetical is 90% of the conversation is going to be pushback and then the pushback against the pushback?

This is a complicated issue for me. I'm a big black guy, so there's an advantage to that people just don't wanna fuck with you. For the longest time I unaware of how smaller women had like safety circles where they would have to call their friends after a certain time of night, just so they know they're safe. I had the privilege of not having to think about that.

But a lot of times, it don't feel like a privilege. I had the cops called on me for walking around the wrong(read: white) neighborhood late at night. I've had women do a fuckin 180 on the sidewalk when I was walking towards her. I've lost count how many clutched purses and locked car doors I've experienced just because I dared to exist in the same space as them. It makes you feel unwanted, like a mistake, that because of the color of my skin people will assume certain negative characteristics about you.

It fuckin sucks, frankly. I've been taught to never look suspicious, to not wear certain clothes, to not cause a scene cuz you don't want the police involved. I spent my whole life trying to make myself nice and friendly and unobtrusive to everybody, because In America a black man has to. And so no, when I read "maybe you should just stay inside, or disappear entirely", my first reaction ain't gonna be too understanding. I got just as much right to exist as anybody, lady.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
Well shit I guess all the countries you've never visited don't exist either then... since you've never seen them.
That's the problem with painting in broad strokes. I've lived in 3 countries and I can honestly say I've never ever witnessed a cat call. Some women face terrible threats or objectification on a minute by minute basis, others may not experience it at all or to very little degree. That's not diminishing what they face but framing discussion in this manner really doesn't serve a purpose other than to polarize. No one is going to read this and go, oh there is a real solution here.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I was specifically talking about street harassment because one poster claimed every women experiences this.
Well that may be true for America but certainly not where I live.
Ah, apologies I misread. Good to hear that's their experience but again, totally not limited to bad neighbourhoods. I live in the UK and spoke to my partner about harassment she'd faced and her general fears around this topic, and she had an abundance of experiences to list. In fact she said anything short of actual assault/groping and the like, it's too many to remember. We don't live in a typically rough or bad neighbourhood or city by any means, it's just her experience as for years she walked to and from work and being a nurse that means doing so at unsociable hours. Even then it's not limited to purely nighttime, but she said people seemed more emboldened when there were fewer people around - which I can see.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Is this an American article? I see many women out late in Ottawa and Toronto.

You seriously trying to say this wouldn't apply to big Canadian cities?

Have you ever talked to a university girl about this before?

I can't even believe some of these "I livebin Germany, I live in Canada, it's not like that here"

Yes, actually it fucking is.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Holy fuck at everyone taking this at face value without even considering the context of why this article and twitter thread exists in the first place.

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
We are a snake eating it's own tail.....like I really don't think there is any disagreement happening here, people just don't know how to talk to each other.

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
Holy fuck at everyone taking this at face value without even considering the context of why this article and twitter thread exists in the first place.

It's almost as if there are a lot of people who are smart enough to read words but not smart enough to actually understand what they mean.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Only place I have actually had women laugh at the idea of feeling unsafe at night was in Tokyo. I was drinking with some women and they looked genuinely puzzled at the suggestion that they'd feel unsafe walking alone at night. Then again this is the place with women-only train cars so it's not a clean case of being safer.

Btw everyone brace yourselves for the "what if we armed all women?" conservative response to this article.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You don't think this premises of the thought expirment is extreme? Like the results I understand, but we've only had like two people in the thread say to they didn't know women were afraid of men at night. Tbh I'm just probably too abtuse to understand that's why I usually abstain from these convos.

No, i don't. If the word curfew bothers you, substitute with vacation. 'What if all men went on vacation?'. There, for the more sensitive ones.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's the problem with painting in broad strokes. I've lived in 3 countries and I can honestly say I've never ever witnessed a cat call. Some women face terrible threats or objectification on a minute by minute basis, others may not experience it at all or to very little degree. That's not diminishing what they face but framing discussion in this manner really doesn't serve a purpose other than to polarize. No one is going to read this and go, oh there is a real solution here.

I don't think anyone proposed writing this with solutions in mind.

I imagine many people who participated in the hashtag were using it as a way to express their personal stories in a seemingly safe and "hypothetical" way.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
We are a snake eating it's own tail.....like I really don't think there is any disagreement happening here, people just don't know how to talk to each other.
Yeah could be, it's unfortunate that there isn't enough women on these boards to keep this thread alive with their own thoughts and experiences. So it's mostly just guys fighting among themselves, like most threads. I'd be interested to follow and participate if there's any possibility to have any discussion around this at all.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
I don't think anyone proposed writing this with solutions in mind.

I imagine many people who participated in the hashtag were using it as a way to express their personal stories in a seemingly safe and "hypothetical" way.
I'm not talking about the twitter thread in particular. I'm talking about the way the article was framed around the content. The stupidity of using twitter threads as news is another matter entirely.

Oct 28, 2017
Even as a hypothetical if you were to replace "men" with almost any other group it would feel icky and not be worth discussing, even with the respect to the fear that it is trying to address. The framing is intentionally sensational and thus detracts from what should be a legitimate discussion.

Dead Guy

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
I'm not trying to be insulting by saying your reaction is egotistical. Your personal feelings about this are selfish, which is fine, not good or bad.

Are you going to be in a state of constant worry about how you're perceived next time you happen to cross paths with a women late at night? Or are you going to forget about all of this after a few weeks and gleefully grab a burger without a care in the world, maybe thinking after the fact about the woman who quickened her pace and remembering our conversation.

Contrast that with the woman who might cross your path.

Actually yes. Social anxiety is a bitch.

Roy

Oct 27, 2017
You seriously trying to say this wouldn't apply to big Canadian cities?

Have you ever talked to a university girl about this before?

I can't even believe some of these "I livebin Germany, I live in Canada, it's not like that here"

Yes, actually it fucking is.
You seriously suggesting that women cannot feel safer in places that have less crime?

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Btw everyone brace yourselves for the "what if we armed all women?" conservative response to this article.
Imagine a world where women are forced to conceal carry.

8f6.gif

Sep 28, 2018
  • "Demonise" - come on, seriously.
  • This discussion has done a lot for discussion and awarness
  • Saying it has "done nothing but cause friction" is ridiculous
Ultimately, you're more concerned with this perceived offense to you/men than you are understanding what women have to consider on the day to day relative to the majority of men. Frankly, it's a little pathetic.

With all due respect, you don't know if I'm a man or a woman... Nor do you know the life I've lived, so please.

There's nothing pathetic about taking issue with people painting a certain type of person with a broad brush, especially when the thought experiment really doesn't offer any reasonable solutions, just calls to attention the supposed shortcomings of an entire group of people...

I can empathise with women, I make every effort to be kind, to create a safe environment, to avoid walking behind women at night and if I saw someone harassing a woman - or anyone - you bed I'd step in. Many, many good men would do the same. This thought experiment that treats every single man like a problem is no different than treating every Muslim like a problem... It's gross.

Snack12367

Oct 28, 2017
I remember my old boss speaking to a female friend of mine. She asked if she could come in earlier so that the could leave earlier. Where we worked in Winter night came really quickly and early. He asked why and she explained that the quickest way to get to her place she had to walk down an alley and didn't feel comfortable doing it by herself late at night.

He said that she should just ignore it or take the long way through the highstreet and with street lights. It was just so fucking bizarre to me. A) she works her shift regardless. B) half the team already have situations where they get to leave early or arrive early. Why is this a problem?

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
If you can't you are fucked either way. But this is a problem that doesn't just boil down to men or women
Ah, apologies I misread. Good to hear that's their experience but again, totally not limited to bad neighbourhoods. I live in the UK and spoke to my partner about harassment she'd faced and her general fears around this topic, and she had an abundance of experiences to list. In fact she said anything short of actual assault/groping and the like, it's too many to remember. We don't live in a typically rough or bad neighbourhood or city by any means, it's just her experience as for years she walked to and from work and being a nurse that means doing so at unsociable hours. Even then it's not limited to purely nighttime, but she said people seemed more emboldened when there were fewer people around - which I can see.
Well then it's maybe a cultural problem. Catcalling and the like just wouldn't be acceptable behavior in a "normal" neighborhood around here.

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
I live in a safe as fuck city where I can walk thru it alone in the wee hours without feeling insecure at all, but it's obviously always gonna be way less safe for women to do that. Even youse that live in these safer communities have to consider that your perception of it's safety would totally change if you were a woman. Some of the responses to this are so fucking stupid it hurts to read them.

Deepthought_

Banned
May 15, 2018
So this would basically be Jim Crow again for us colored folk

I get what the op is trying to say but there are racial undertones to this that's why it should presented better

If I see a white woman at night trust, I'm just as scared of you as you are of me

If I see a black woman at night I try to go out of my way to not feel threatening I'll wave or look at my phone

Another black man 50 50 and white guy not really threatened unless they are drunk