• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
I got a $10 raise when I went back to work, then a $4 dollar raise earlier this year and then a $1.26 raise last month.

I dunno what that says 🤷🏽‍♂️

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Ooo now this is interesting - the perspective of a small business owner.

My general perspective is that I'm not going to pay myself more (on an average hourly basis anyway), than what my highest paid employee is making. It encourages me to keep up wages for my staff, but also, I have three companies (a retail store, a contracting company and a sign company), and all have varying up and down times, and really the painting company is the only one that has actual staff aside from my fiancee and I, who basically run the other two companies ourselves. That's why I say, if I had to hire someone to replace myself, I'd probably need to hire three people (at least). I do all the estimating, project management, sales, and handle most of the day to day operations of all three businesses, but I definitely couldn't do it without my fiance who keeps everything organized, from payroll to inventory, to most of the accounting side of things.

It's a very difficult thing to come up with a wage for yourself. My accountant says I should be taking more. My fiance obviously thinks I should be taking more. Hell, my staff think I should be taking more, since they all own actual property/houses and we live in a little two bedroom condo. But I'm only 18 months into owning this company, and again, I just want to make sure there is always money in the company, so that I'm never concerned about things like payroll and bills. I've seen way too many new companies have a good year or two, buy a cabin and a boat and a nice car, and then the next year isn't as good and they have to shut things down or lay people off, and that's just not my attitude.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
About 15-20% increase per year within the same rank; around 30-50% per rank elevation, which is every few years.

Tech mergers & acquistions investment banking.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My general perspective is that I'm not going to pay myself more (on an average hourly basis anyway), than what my highest paid employee is making. It encourages me to keep up wages for my staff, but also, I have three companies (a retail store, a contracting company and a sign company), and all have varying up and down times, and really the painting company is the only one that has actual staff aside from my fiancee and I, who basically run the other two companies ourselves. That's why I say, if I had to hire someone to replace myself, I'd probably need to hire three people (at least). I do all the estimating, project management, sales, and handle most of the day to day operations of all three businesses, but I definitely couldn't do it without my fiance who keeps everything organized, from payroll to inventory, to most of the accounting side of things.

It's a very difficult thing to come up with a wage for yourself. My accountant says I should be taking more. My fiance obviously thinks I should be taking more. Hell, my staff think I should be taking more, since they all own actual property/houses and we live in a little two bedroom condo. But I'm only 18 months into owning this company, and again, I just want to make sure there is always money in the company, so that I'm never concerned about things like payroll and bills. I've seen way too many new companies have a good year or two, buy a cabin and a boat and a nice car, and then the next year isn't as good and they have to shut things down or lay people off, and that's just not my attitude.
I respect that. Thank you for describing it in more detail. Much appreciated. Has business been better, worse, or about the same during COVID?

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
I work in advertising as a Senior Art Director. 6-7% yearly readjustment + 25% bi-yearly-ish + base rises whenever I progressed from Junior AD, Full AD to Senior AD. I'm earning about 5x what I got when I was first hired.

Been with the company for 10+ years.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
In Toronto, it's basically been 1-2% + bonus in my salaried roles. I've more than doubled it over my 7 year career by moving around, though. That's definitely the ticket to higher salaries.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
Work for a market research / data analytics / tech company.
Each year has been between 2-3% raise, except the year I got a title change in which I got a 10% raise.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Since I started my career I got promoted from Intern to staff accountant as a "raise", then I for a 5% raise last year. I was verbally told I would be getting another 5% raise and a promotion in September, but I took another job at a new company that was over a 10% raise in pay.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
3 to 4% annually, but it's been somewhat inconsistent... some years yes, some years no. I haven't had an increase in about 2 years now.

Promotions have been 8-10%, but I've usually had to push for more.

Dre3001

Oct 28, 2017
Never received a raise but I just graduated from university 5 years ago.

First 3 years of professional career I was working for a small government agency who didn't give "raises" but rather you received a pay increase through promotion.

Left that agency and now work in the private sector. My current company does give raises however with the current pandemic they have implemented a "salary and hiring freeze". So that's on hold until who knows when.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
No raises this year due to covid, but I've seen my raises at my current company go from a steady 3-4% down to 1.5-2% for those in position. One of the reasons I'm constantly looking for another job within IT because I know it's bullshit.

GuiltyGB

Apr 6, 2020
Non-existent outside of hopping companies. Over the past 6 years my salary has increased x2.5 by doing so though.
Yep. I've found the only way to really make a really increase in money is to move to a new job and then make your own business.

I work in the creative industry. never expect a company to give you that much. Always look to find your own clients in the end.

Deleted member 6173

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From 2007 to 2014 I got an annual raise of 10%. Then I switched companies and now I get an annual raise between 2-5%.

Oct 28, 2017
To put things into context I'm an assistant county prosecutor. I'm into my third year here and the past two years we've all received 2.5% "raises", I'm expecting more of the same this year.

Big Boss

Oct 27, 2017
Been pretty good. Since 2013 (when I entered the job market) I've increased my salary by 73%, overall. I'll be six figures with in the nex 1-2 years, guaranteed.

hopefully 7 figures, overall, by mid 40s.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
From 2006 to 2009 I really didn't get many raises. Percent or two and I made shit for money so those translated to like virtually nothing in real money. Then I got a new job in 2009 which was a significant boost, like a +50-60% increase on what I was making, a significant career change. I then got another offer at another company, and my company countered and that was another significant boost... ~40%. Then I sat at that level for about 3 years with tiny cost of living increases (a couple percent maybe) until 2012, I left to go to another company. I actually made the same salary at my new company but there was way more room for growth financially.... and that's I've been at that company since in a couple different roles. 2012-2014, I had some moderate bumps each year, better than what I used to get bumped but not crazy, and then 2014-2019 was very, very good each year was a sizeable raise some times double digits, the highest ever "normal" raise (e.g., not a new job or a promotion) was just over 14%, and when you make more money those percentages go a long way in terms of real money in your pocket.

We had our reviews a couple months back and raises were smaller, but still like 7% I think... Mostly because most of our growth was already booked by the time we were having performance reviews, pre-economic collapse. I doubt we'll have a raise next year because of the economy, but i'm not complaining.

Last edited:

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
I'm an apprentice so my next two yearly raises are $5/hour and the final raise is $10. I think our yearly raise on the contract works out to around 3%.

Jakten

Oct 25, 2017
Devil World, Toronto
I got a pay jump when I stopped working in fast food and started working in games about 12 years ago; I think minimum wage was $12CAD at the time and I was getting $13.50 and then went up to $22CAD. Since then my pay has only gone down. Especially once I became freelance. It's very hard to find people who will pay you what you are worth. I used to work for a literal crook though.

Basically, don't make video games for a living. The worst part is seeing how much money a lot of the games I've worked on have made after the fact. Kills me to the core. Things have been a bit better the last little while at least.

Last edited:

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Base has gone up steadily over the last 5 years, like 5% or so, this year my total comp will drop because things are pretty slow b2b with covid/recession.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
My salary has gone up 172% since I started out of college, but the company I started with really lowballed me in my first year (they could get away with it because it was the Great Recession). Raising in recent years have been in the 4-7% range, higher when I get a promotion.

Macheezmo

Oct 25, 2017
Started working in the field 5 years ago, hourly pay. Went: $12 -> $13 -> $16 -> $17.50 -> $19 -> $20. Then I moved into the office at the start of this year and from what I hear, we basically don't get raises in the office. I know a couple of the guys haven't seen one in 2 years at least.

My wife has gone from $15k to $48k in the same time frame, but almost all of that was from job hopping.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I got a 1% cost of living raise this year which was unexpected but appreciated.

Cleve

Oct 27, 2017
I'm in public education IT.
I've jumped positions 3 times over the last 5 years at the same place, starting at 42, then 53, then 72, raises are typically 2.5% annually for non-affiliated staff, so that's likely what I have to look forward to from here if I don't get a new position. Are there different positions within your company that would offer pay increases OP? Consider drafting a time frame for advancement at your current job, or applying to other jobs if that doesn't work out.

May 25, 2019
London
Work at Costco.

Started at the warehouse making 13ish an hour? Chump change but for Texas where "good" entry level jobs were playing 10-12 and everything else was 7-9 min wage shit it was solid. Plus bennies. I think they bumped it to 14 just before I left.

Moved to Washington since I got a job at the corp office and pay got bumped to 17.50. This was January 2019. Since then I think there were 1-2 company wide raises and then on top of that you get a dollar+ raise every 6ish months (based on hours worked) I think I'm sitting at about 23 an hour with another raise coming in the next month or so. Pretty good bump for 2ish years. The other nice thing is they just had a posting in my department for what would be the next promotion up for me. I did well on the interview but they utlimately gave it to someone who has like just under 2 more years in the dept as me. It's a substantial pay raise to I think 70k+ a year so I got that to look forward to

I always heard that Costco is a great place to work and move up in - sounds like that is actually the case based on your experience

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017

Aye, respect

As for me:
Previous life: Corporate excel monkey - no promotions
~$50k -> 62k over 7 years
Dead end

Current life: User Experience Designer - single promotion my first year
~$90k -> $145k over 5 years
So roughly average of 10% per year. Am considered notably successful, though by industry standards I'm actually still underpaid

Both tenures are at single, different companies. No raise this year, but that's the Rona.

Last edited:

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
Non-existent outside of hopping companies. Over the past 6 years my salary has increased x2.5 by doing so though.

I feel like companies have to realize that they lose out when the only way to make money is changing jobs. I only ever got to where I am salary wise by switching jobs. Friends who I worked on the same team with and stayed put are making less than half what I am.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I always heard that Costco is a great place to work and move up in - sounds like that is actually the case based on your experience
I'm working in a department I can BARELY apply my Envi Sci degree in (we do some sustainability stuff in QA but thats about it) The goal was never to stay at costco but the paid more and had better bennies than Envi Sci entry level positions when I looked around Texas. So I joined Costco to pay the bills and fell into the costco trap of "its too convenient to quit"

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
Non-existent. Might change now that the old owner is out of the picture, assuming our department stays around. My long game has always been to take over for my boss (he has brought that up before).

Theandrin

Oct 29, 2017
Orlando, Fl
I've been with my company for going on 3 years now and typically I get a raise of roughly 3.5% each year. This year is a little different as I was promoted to a senior level job title so that came with a 5% increase. I'm still anticipating roughly 3.5% next year though.

Megapighead

May 2, 2018
Been working full time for a little over 3 years now. Have had 4 raises, all at the same company. Software engineer.
~3% --> ~9% --> ~15% --> ~13%

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Back when I was earning less the raises were about 4%. Now it's about 2.5%. It goes with how much one is earning really. When the salary is small the raises are larger. At least in my field.

I should add we also see market adjustments and get bonuses, and the bonuses grow with how long you've been with the company. In ten years my salary with my current company has doubled, if that helps, though I also got a promotion at one point in there.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
IT, started doing typical sys admin support related things and gradually got more involved with engineering projects. I taught myself some scripting languages which REALLY attracted management attention. Now I predominately do automation scripting and cloud architectures, but I'm trying to pivot to more dev related roles. I've been in the industry for almost six years, but managed to more than double my salary in just under five years.

Job 1:
Over three years, I had six raises including a promotion which altogether bumped me up about $42k. Of note, I was originally hired as a college hire, but since my role/title was of a higher level, my manager accepted it and corporate increased my salary by $10k to reflect it just a few months after starting. He also put me in for a random 7 or 8% raise when I bought a townhouse.

Job 2:
Had to negotiate since they were offering $10k less, and ended up getting only a $3k increase. I accepted since my contract was ending and I needed a job.

Job 3 (current):
Hated job 2 and was desperate to leave that, so I accepted with a $7k increase. First raise was 5%, and I just got a 7% merit based raise a few weeks ago. I have no idea how raises are being handled with COVID, so that was a surprise. I'm still due for an annual review at any time now if my company is providing them.

I accepted a job offer back in January, but the start date is currently TBD due to the pandemic. After the raise I just got, I'll be re-negotiating because I'm currently making what they offered.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Lead called me in, went over my performance, and basically said "for this reason we're giving you a raise"

Riptwo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in a public sector position in Alberta, and it's been 0% for the better part of a decade. I was supposed to be at a higher pay grade by this point due to exceptional performance reviews, but we've been in continuous wage freeze mode forever now and it's possible that a rollback is incoming now as well. Feels I'm getting swallowed up by debt as everything costs more and my salary is worth less and less.

balohna

Nov 1, 2017
I get my biggest raises by switching jobs. I once went from 18.50/hr to 25/hr at a job over the span of like 18 months, because I had the ability to request raises when my job responsibilities changed. And they kept changing.

But then I left that job for another job that was like $35/hr, and then another 18 months later that first job got me back by offering me $44. I doubt I'll ever see that kind of growth again, and tbh I was being severely underpaid at the start. I had 0 experience and I learned later that they weren't sure how I'd do but didn't have many other options so they took a chance on me.

Darren Lamb

Dec 1, 2017
Raises in the same role weren't great, usually was 3-5%. I probably got larger raises when they gave increases to people who aren't heavily penetrated in their pay grade.

Did some quick math, increase in salary by year (which includes promotions) was about 5% on average in the first four years, and 9% in the last four years. I changed companies last year and it was a wash on compensation, but with better benefits and a much higher quality of life. Not expecting tons of wage growth here without more education/training, starting my MBA in the fall and hope that gets me more $$

Plasmid

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
2.96% raise ($992) that has not been done yet, my company is about 3-4 weeks away from letting us know when we will get it in our regular checks. But they have said they're gonna give us our raises and bonuses in back pay since april 1st whenever they start the raise periods.

xChildofhatex

Oct 25, 2017
I should preface this by first saying that I'm from India and IT salary raises on average can be anywhere from 2-10% depending upon your company.

There's a pretty strict performance review in our company and the average person doesn't get more than 7-8% raise per year. I've been getting 15-17% per year coz of my performance for over 4 years now but it was lower this time (9.5%) coz of Covid fears. Management compensated me a bit by giving me more RSUs and a bigger bonus than I normally get based on my performance.

BareKnuckle

Oct 26, 2017
I was at my previous job 2.5 years and got yearly raises of 20%. Never had a raise before then, probably will never find a deal will that ever again either. Now redundant because of covid.

Graphic designer in the movie industry.

Goldenroad

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I respect that. Thank you for describing it in more detail. Much appreciated. Has business been better, worse, or about the same during COVID?

Thanks for asking. We've actually been up in all three of our businesses over the last 5 months. We have a retail paint store, so everyone sitting at home is finding time to do these home reno projects that they maybe didn't previously have time for. That's been good for us. On the sign side, we've been doing a ton of Social Distancing decals and signage, and again, that's been good for us. The contracting side slowed down briefly, but then it turned out since schools were shut down and so forth, we were able to negotiate some work along those lines, so even that side has been steady YOY. We are very fortunate.

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
2% a year and 10% bonus every March. My big increases have come from bouncing around to different roles.