• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Aaaaand what's a problem in that?

Genesis has an incredible and passionated retrocommunity back, dedicated to taking the machine far beyond its limits, and has proven to be a viable platform for a number of projects, even 30 years after released.
The work done by the homebrew community is always cool to look at but not much relevant to this thread.
Taking as an example the "mode 7" feature, the work done by gasega68k and others on MD in recent years is amazing and worthy to be praised but it won't change the fact that no stock MD had a similar feature during the commercial life cycle of the consoles in question (nor after with the same performance/resolution/scope).

Last edited:

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
SNES port of Sonic in progress

It'll be very interesting to see how this pans out. So far everything checks out except the actual nuances of the physics that aren't being shown much. Kind of surprised this kind of thing didn't happen sooner given that the source code is effectively reverse engineered and well documented by the community.

Kind of sounds like this version of the song:

Did they just sample thing or?

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México

It'll be very interesting to see how this pans out. So far everything checks out except the actual nuances of the physics that aren't being shown much. Kind of surprised this kind of thing didn't happen sooner given that the source code is effectively reverse engineered and well documented by the community.

My understanding is that the Sonic source code and physics are tailored to specific characteristics of the Genesis CPU that the SNES CPU lacks.

Superking

Oct 25, 2017

why in god's name did they use...whatever the hell that music track is?

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
My understanding is that the Sonic source code and physics are tailored to specific characteristics of the Genesis CPU that the SNES CPU lacks.

That's my understanding too. We'll have to wait and see how the project progresses. You can tell most obviously from the braking motion in the video that the physics are still greatly simplified, and nothing like a proper loop was shown or the nuances of how the game stores and distributes momentum.

Here is another new tech demo of a playable voxel 3D scape on Genesis. There's a video and a link to the ROM on the website.

arkagis.com

Voxelscape Tech Demo - Arkagis

A voxelscape (voxel landscape) tech demo for Sega Genesis/Mega Drive.

I believe there was originally a port being made of one of the earliest Comanche games for SNES, which would have featured a voxel landscape.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
I believe there was originally a port being made of one of the earliest Comanche games for SNES, which would have featured a voxel landscape.

Yeah, it was anounced using the FX2 chip and was never released.

The work done by the homebrew community is always cool to look at but not much relevant to this thread.
Taking as an example the "mode 7" feature, the work done by gasega68k and others on MD in recent years is amazing and worthy to be praised but it won't change the fact that no stock MD had a similar feature during the commercial life cycle of the consoles in question (nor after with the same performance/resolution/scope).

Maybe I am misunderstanding, but those demos and games from the homebrew community run on stock unmodified Genesis consoles.

buckohare

Apr 15, 2020

Sorry i searched but couldn't find the warning "only commercial life cycle" in the thread headlines...to be honest, the release of the mini versions brings them back to the commercial circuit again :)

So yes i will continue to post current material to show what these machines are really capable of.

Tonight going talk about the Mega Goofy Troop.
Full PCM intro (brazilian version, english on the way), faithful colors and enhanced gameplay, the creator will provide a demo ROM soon.

Last edited:

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I had never heard of this game before but this sounds mighty nice

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe I am misunderstanding, but those demos and games from the homebrew community run on stock unmodified Genesis consoles.
Yes, you misunderstood.
What I'm saying is that only a deluded one would think that a tech demo created 30 years after the fact would make a lick of difference on how a console is perceived.
I'm not saying this to belittle the great achievements done by the homebrew community which on the contrary I applaud.

I had never heard of this game before but this sounds mighty nice
Some time ago I created a playlist with good music from lesser known SNES games (mind you not everything is obscure), maybe you'll find something new of your liking:

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Last edited:

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, you misunderstood.
What I'm saying is that only a deluded one would think that a tech demo created 30 years after the fact would make a lick of difference on how a console is perceived.
I'm not saying this to belittle the great achievements done by the homebrew community which on the contrary I applaud.

Some time ago I created a playlist with good music from lesser known SNES games (mind you not everything is obscure), maybe you'll find something new of your liking:

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
Some neat stuff in there thanks for sharing

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Since we're just posting random music shit, this is a super nice Genny cover of Super Double Dragon:

Fulluphigh

Oct 31, 2017

Not a fan of this track at all, it does nothing for me except remind me of how bad that game was...

It's kind of weird how Sega pretends this game doesn't exist. It's not one of their best games or anything but they should at least throw the rom on Steam.

This is like, literally the game as a child that made me stop and go "Oh crap, I should have gotten a snes..." I didn't realize anyone had positive opinions about it lol.

Pardon old sample lovers, but FM synthesis it's level above.

Dude you might want to chill with the rabid fanboy stuff, jesus...

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
The sound chip could play samples, but that's only as good as the creator. Thus there's some RE Director's Cut basement sounding stuff, but on the other hand there's ActRaiser.

All controllers had 8 buttons and a D pad from launch.

RBG video output leads to higher video signal quality.

I think specifically sprite color limit and the total number on on screen sprites could be higher.

It also had transparencies layers, two 512 wide higher res modes, and a good interlace option that I dont believe the Mega Drive used often.
Im not sure if the Mega Drive's interlace mode was as high of a resolution, so it may not be an advantage.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
to me it had two big ones, more colors, and sound.

mode 7 was the thing that was hyped a lot back then, by the media and/or Nintendo, as SNES advantage over Genesis, but didn't turn out to be very relevant at all in the long run compared to those two.

still will always maintain for it's release date snes should have been a bigger jump over mega drive than it was.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
That is fantastic too!

Sounds very 80s. I guess that's the distinction, Mega Drive sounds 80s, Super Famicom sounds 90s.

Same focus change with the games, Mega Drive is largely best at 80s style games - basically kickass arcade action games you play in a single sitting with pumping rock/electro style soundtracks. Even headliner Sonic is an 80s style arcade game in most ways, no saving, you play more and get better at the game. There are RPGs but it definitely wasn't the system's focus from a design standpoint. Of course there are exceptions, but it's pretty much what the system was designed for.

Whereas Super Fami was the paradigm shift in Japan that moved the focus of games to be longer, bigger, more variety and more cinematic, but in a more approachable way than the more dense PC games did. This was led from the front - even the launch Mario game has battery save, adding/expanding Zelda-like features with a world map with secrets everywhere making it into a big non-linear adventure instead of just a mostly linear action game. Almost all Nintendo games had saves from then on. This is the direction things went after that, especially from the Japanese side, and of course more and more cinematic RPGs with orchestral sample based movie-like scores which became pretty much the calling card of the system especially in Japan. PC Engine CD was the big thing in 88 as well with a similar focus, though with more of a multimedia bent, but it straddled that line as it was big in old-paradigm arcade machine too.

TL;DR Mega Drive basically IS 80s arcade in a console, in audio, video, and gameplay focus (via the CPU), while Super Fami's focus was deliberately less arcade and more the hybrid action adventure.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
A MD game I knew in name only but didn't know how good its OST was until recently is Time Dominator 1st:

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
Hey, speaking of Genesis, why don't some of you recommend me the best games on the Genesis Collection, which I'm about to buy? :D

Ckoerner

Aug 7, 2019
mode 7 was the thing that was hyped a lot back then, by the media and/or Nintendo, as SNES advantage over Genesis, but didn't turn out to be very relevant at all in the long run compared to those two.
Mode 7 was what launched Mario Kart (and F-Zero), a long and well-liked series that continues to today.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Hey, speaking of Genesis, why don't some of you recommend me the best games on the Genesis Collection, which I'm about to buy? :D
I'd recommend not buying it, at least on console. The IQ is bad, sound emu all over the place, crazy input lag, broken online, ugly Unity menu. I feel like the collection is borderline unplayable, even an unfamiliar player would be put off it's so bad. If you get it on PC you can mitigate this by ripping the roms and using a competent emu at least.

The better rec would just be getting a MD mini which has a better lineup imo (in every region but Asia model is best) or grabbing some of the Sega Ages releases on Switch (though they're expensive, $8 a pop). M2 handles both those and the attention to detail and accuracy is unrivaled.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
3 more buttons ?
I think that it did in hardware many more things the MD had to do in software, and probably a better bus.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
I'd recommend not buying it, at least on console. The IQ is bad, sound emu all over the place, crazy input lag, broken online, ugly Unity menu. I feel like the collection is borderline unplayable, even an unfamiliar player would be put off it's so bad. If you get it on PC you can mitigate this by ripping the roms and using a competent emu at least.

The better rec would just be getting a MD mini which has a better lineup imo (in every region but Asia model is best) or grabbing some of the Sega Ages releases on Switch (though they're expensive, $8 a pop). M2 handles both those and the attention to detail and accuracy is unrivaled.

I'll second getting one of the minis. Plus they're apparently easy to hack if you wan to add stuff in (even getting the cheap roms from the aforementioned steam collection works!).

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017

Yikes. :(

Not getting a Mini or on PC. Only way I'd play it is portable (Switch).

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My launch model SNES died in such a weird way 20 years later. It stopped running every game I had except for Super Punch Out which still worked fine.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017

In that case I'd say most of the MD and C2 (MD based arcade hardware) games on Sega Ages Switch are worth getting; Sonic 1-2, Puyo Puyo 2, Lightening Force, Thunder Force AC and soon Herzog Zwei. You may want to wait for a sale though, they go for 50% off pretty frequently. The games have lots of options, modes, versions and even additional content in some cases, M2 really goes above and beyond.

And as long as you're in a Sega mood a lot of the non-MD Ages releases are great too. I'd personally put Phantasy Star, Virtua Racing, OutRun, Shinobi and Fantasy Zone at the top of the list.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
And as long as you're in a Sega mood a lot of the non-MD Ages releases are great too. I'd personally put Phantasy Star, Virtua Racing, OutRun, Shinobi and Fantasy Zone at the top of the list.

Muthaf***n Shin-oh-Bee!
FickleBabyishAustralianfurseal-small.gif

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
The moral of the SNES Vs MD debate is that it's a shame we never got a System 32-based console.

uncledonnie

Oct 26, 2017

I'd still recommend getting the collection then. It's not as bad as it's made out to be and the issues are mostly bothersome if you are a purist. I played all the games growing up and still greatly enjoyed the collection. If you've never played Phantasy Star 4 and the collection is the only way you're going to, then definitely pick it up.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is it me or is the genesis sound chip really well-suited for cyberpunk-style music?

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017

Get some of the Sega Ages titles on the eShop, then. The input lag in the Genesis collection is awful enough that even people not remotely familiar with the games in it will likely be put off. It's the worst possible way to play what are otherwise pretty fantastic games.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Genesis Shadowrun deserved a better soundtrack. It's not bad but I think someone like Matt Furniss or Jesper Kyd could have done the cyberpunk theme more justice based on their compositions on the hardware.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Genesis Shadowrun deserved a better soundtrack. It's not bad but I think someone like Matt Furniss or Jesper Kyd could have done the cyberpunk theme more justice based on their compositions on the hardware.

Unrelated, but I think the SMT soundtracks would have mostly been at home on the Genesis.

I know the battle theme was linked here but:

It would have been right out of Thunder Force.

Kainazzo

Dec 13, 2017
It's interesting to revisit a time when home consoles could be so technically different yet each have great libraries of exclusives. I feel like the last time we had that was the N64/PS1/Saturn. From a player's perspective, console hardware's felt homogenized since the DC/PS2/GCN/Xbox.