Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
Bioshock. Game was ok, but I put it down after it kept going and going after the meh twist.

Adhrast

Jan 17, 2018
The Trails series. Especially the Cold Steel arc. The first game is around 60-80 hours depending on how much extra stuff you do. No dialog and cutscene skipping. The sequels are even longer.

The slow battle system and the massive scripts are the culprits for the long play times.

Falcom doesn't really cut stuff from their games for the sake of pacing.

I absolutely love the Trails series, but yeah you're completely right. I think the best ones for pacing were the Crossbell arc, but I'm almost at the end of Cold Steel II and boy am I tired of playing it. I think I'll finish it then take a break before moving on to III and IV.
Also, most open world games are completely filled with stuff that rarely contributes to the story or the setting, the latest Assassin's Creed games being some of the worst offenders imo.

Piscus

Oct 27, 2017
I just platinum'd Bloodborne. The whole series of Chalice dungeons required for a single trophy almost took as long as the rest of the game for me, haha.

PS - My cloud save is just before the battle for that single trophy, so if someone wants to skip the whole process by jumping into my game and beating her together, hmu lol

Last edited:

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
The CRPG Addict took 272 hours to beat the campaign in Fate: Gates of Dawn for the Amiga, and he was using a guide for most of it:

crpgaddict.blogspot.com

Fate: Gates of Dawn: Summary and Rating

A blog in which a dedicated addict plays through all PC computer role-playing games (CRPGs), in chronological order.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
So many people say Persona 5, but I say Persona 3. That last month or two drags like no other, mainly because at that point you've completed most if not all the night time social links and maxed out your social stats. Pretty much the only things you can do at night are the arcade on days when you can get Persona stat increases, or the shrine. Tartarus is an option, but you've likely gone as far as the game will let you there already. They do a good job of making the game have a "the end is nigh" feeling at this point, but the fact that you basically have nothing you're rushing to do before the end really makes it not feel a sense of urgency.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
Persona 5 doesn't need to have the story or the amount of content cut, but I do think the palaces could've been significantly shorter.

Okami I think is just fine the way it is. It's really no longer than your average Zelda game, but it feels longer than it is because of the way it's structured to some extent.

Deleted member 85465

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2020
Last of us II is definetly too long for my taste, but at the same time it feels rushed to me, like outside of the main two protagonists almost everyone else feels underdeveloped, so its in this weird spot where I would have liked tighter pacing but also to expand on the side characters, maybe its because it has so many levels where the main character is alone which was not the case in the first game.

I am close to the end, trying to get in the mood to finish it, though that hasn't happened since december.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
Reading over the games mentioned so far...

Bioshock
Persona 5
TLOU 2
RDR2
Portal 2
Okami
Bloodborne
GTAV
Witcher 3

...I feel like someone could swap the thread title to say your goat games and leave everything else and no one would know the difference.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
- Last of Us 2 is the most recent and biggest offender: playtime about double of what's ideal for this kind of gameplay loop. The original had the perfect length, such a shame the sequel was so overindulgent in this regard.
- Alien Isolation: game has about 3 finales or moments when I thought the ending was near, but it just kept going. Moreover these later hours just have you backtracking and don't really add anything, so it just feels even less justified. If this had a more restrained length, it would've been one of the generation's greatest. Now it's the major flaw in an otherwise amazing game.
- BioShock: it's not that long but it's another case of outstaying its welcome after a pivotal finale moment, we all know what it is. After that it just felt the game ran out of steam.
- Okami: been a long time since I played it, but iirc it just kept going... and going

In general way too many games overstay their welcome. No doubt it's more complex in games to cut out material compared to movies, but I feel like games should have dedicated editors too. People who have authority on pacing and length and can decide to cut something when needed. We need more games like INSIDE where the goal was obviously to trim all the fat and finish with an experience where not a single minute feels wasted.

Gradly

Nov 11, 2017
Odyssey and Valhalla
That's why I'm not gonna play the next game if it continues the same formula.

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
I've never really fatigued from open world games, but Assassin's Creed Valhalla brought me to my breaking point. I take months long breaks now every 15 - 20 hours played. I'm 70 hours in and still halfway through England. I beat Odyssey in that time.
While on said break I started Days Gone to mix it up and man, that game is also far too long and padded out. Having both these games staring at me on my PS5 dashboard gets me too tired to game some evenings.

Ramirez

Oct 26, 2017
RDR2 for me, I really enjoyed it overall, but mainly sticking to the main story and it still felt like it was never gonna end at times.

thankyoumerzbow

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2020
wandersong its like 10 hours but i think they could have trim 1 or 2 and it would have end up being even lovelier

RXM027

Dec 18, 2020
The original Need for Speed Most Wanted is at least five Blacklist racers too long, not to mention the incidents of reversing a course and calling it new or changing the race type to pad out play time. Or the nearly 10 minute races that occur at the end.

cyklisten

Nov 12, 2017
Most modern games are too long.

Not necessarily in hour count (though that too) but in how much unique gameplay they offer for the length. Games like Alien Isolation and Last of Us 2 aren't too long because their hour counts are too high, they are just too long for the amount of unique gameplay situations, enemies, puzzles, etc. that the core gameplay loop has to support.

I mean, I really (really) liked LoU2, but it still could have used either an editor or two or three new enemies (materially new...like, new behaviours, combat models, or gimmicks, not new skins).

Alien Isolation has a two tricks that it repeats ad nauseum for hours on end and unfortunately, both of those tricks cease to be engaging once you can see the clockwork grinding away in the background and hiding in closets feels like waiting for the game to let you continue than the anxiety inducing emotional situation it tries to be. There's only so many times I can be killed by the alien rushing me because i poked my nose out 2 inches too far before it isn't tense, it's just annoying.

Even shorter games suffer from this. As an old example similar to Alien Isolation, Outlast is a good 3.5 hour game stretched to 6 hours long. The Messenger is an excellent 6 hour game meandered to 10 hours and ends up lesser because of it. There just isn't enough unique gameplay to levy the weight of the length.

And these are straight-shot games; literally every single open world game could be cut by 30 to 50% of their size, with only the best missions included, and they would still likely be a bit too long for what they have to offer.

Plz edit your games. I love them, I would just like to love them more.

Exactly. Well put.
To some extent, we the players, get to do the editing job. Concerning games with enormous wealth of sidecontent, people will say "well, it´s not mandatory, so just don´t play it".
The problem is that I don´t know what sidecontent is fantastic and what is garbage. I´m just fumbling around as a player trying stuff out. The result often being, that I find out the the quality ratio is about 1 good sidequest to 9 terrible ones and just stop doing them at all. Potentially missing out on great content while simultaniously getting burned out on inferior parts of the game.
So like you said, just edit your games and focus on quality.

W17LY

Aug 29, 2018
Assassin's Creed Odyssey and Valhalla are way waaaaaaaay too long and bloated.

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
As someone who just finished the game and its last DLC last night for a total of 125hours, my vote goes to AC Odyssey. Amazing game nonetheless, but finishing it at 100% completion is too much.

They actually have no Idea how fast I'd buy sequels if they were shorter. Like, I want to play Valhalla and would be willing to play it right now, but only if it lasts 30hours. As it is, I'll wait for massive sales in the distant future.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
When I finished P5 and noticed my save was 100+ hours long, I couldn't help but think that I could have spent all that time on better games.

I'm still bitter about it.

OP
OP
styl_oh

styl_oh

Fallen One-Winged Chicken Chaser Employee Are Sick
Nov 24, 2019
Alberta, Canada
When I finished P5 and noticed my save was 100+ hours long, I couldn't help but think that I could have spent all that time on better games.

I'm still bitter about it.
i've never actually felt like i wasted time on a game*

*except assassin's creed 1 (PS3)
Final Fantasy 3 (DS)
ok maybe a few others I played out of OCD-driven series completionism

i tend to think if i didn't smoke i could literally buy one million more video games every day

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Most JRPGs are far too long for their own good. I strongly believe there is a huge market in more 20 or even 10 hour long JRPGs out there but most companies assume saying your game is 100+ hours is exclusively a positive. Meanwhile like 10% of players even see that ending.

Molten_

Oct 28, 2017
Okami I think is just fine the way it is. It's really no longer than your average Zelda game, but it feels longer than it is because of the way it's structured to some extent.
Yeah I think the fact that the game "concludes" multiple times, only to pull a bait and switch, gives the impression that it's longer than it really is. Each third of the game is about the length of the child segment in OoT.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
While not as long as those games, I thought Castlevania Lords of Shadow still takes forever to finish

y0shizawa

May 3, 2021
I do miss the days when a lot of AAA games were 8-12 hours and done. I feel that is good enough value for money and meant it was straightforward enough to complete and feel a constant sense of progress and accomplishment. The games that needed more took longer or made me want to replay them.

RDR2 and Uncharted 4 are both games for me that stood out for being way too long, which probably wouldn't have been noticeable if so much of their playtime wasn't slow, barely interactive storytelling/ exposition dumps.

to mention one that didn't get any mentions so far: DmC (2013). I really enjoyed the gameplay, and felt like it was a fun update after not loving DMC4 as much… but the game definitely outstayed it's welcome and felt like it reiterated plot points far too much

Newman96

Oct 27, 2017
Dragon Quest XII for me, I couldn't finish it and I hate leaving games unfinished.

I was absolutely loving it until...

You go back in time and have to refight all the bosses but this time they're way harder and you need to grind for hours

marcinaldo

Oct 28, 2017
Most games are too long and could have been better if some parts were removed - like repeated sections / mechanics / padding. Unfortunately, for some reason this is one of important factors for everyone buying a game (I guess it makes sense, because they are expensive) so having something under 10 hours is seen as a bad thing.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
Red Dead 2 was like 20 hours too long. That entire tropical chapter should have been cut and by the end i just wanted them to wrap it up. Then there's a long ass epilogue too .

Not to beat a dead horse, but Days Gone is a perfect example of this. That game should have been a tight 15-25 hour experience, but for whatever reason they decided to make it a 40-50 hour epic. Combine that with some of the worst open world pacing in recent memory and it's no wonder the reception was so meh.
days-gone-review.jpg
Yep, I put like 35 hours in and just quit when the story, as bad as it is just kept going. The writer had to be smoking crack.

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
I'm nearly 50 hours into Valhalla. Enjoyed it a lot. But feel rather burnt out by it now. And looking at the half uncovered map thinking I'm never going to see many of those places.

I know some people will play it all, so I'm not begrudging the size of the game. But perhaps I'd like a shift in the design so the game would take you all over the whole map earlier. It could still then make changes later that increase the challenge in some areas.

u_neek

Oct 28, 2017
I know some people felt it was the perfect length, but Days Gone should have been half the length or shorter IMO.

Edit: And even though I'm a huge fan of Persona, 90 hours to complete a game's main story is just too much for me.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
Persona 5 dungeons. I think the game as a whole doesn't overstay its welcome, it's the dungeons that's the issue: they could be half the size and still be good enough

AC: Valhalla: it took me 150hrs to beat it and I didn't do all the side quests. I didn't even finish the Asgard arc. I was just burnt out. I might go back to it and finish that arc and the DLC at some point.

Days Gone: I loved that game but man did it take its time to get going. It took me around 300hrs to beat it: did all the side content too but didn't get the platinum. Once you unlock the second part of the map, the game finally kicks into gear. They could have cut a lot of the meat at the start, maybe even merge the 2 first camps into one as some people had suggested.

It takes two: great game but surprisingly long for that kind of co-op experience. I was ready for it to end by the halfway mark

Witcher 3, as a counterpoint, took me 400hrs including the DLCs andI wouldn't call it too long. I even started a NG+ right after finishing it just because I'd hadn't had enough of it yet.