• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
I'm pretty sure anyone would struggle to describe the personalities of any of the protagonists in the first two Golden Sun games (besides nice I guess?)

also play tales of berseria TODAY for an unforgettable cast that's oozing with personality
Their personalities are Earth, Fire, Wind and Water.

(That Golden Sun and Golden Sun: The Lost Age are just freaking awesome RPGs despite this is amazing)

Not an entire game franchise, but I have a feeling even fans would (desperately) struggle to name the assassins in No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle, with the exception of a few like Captain Vlad and Margaret Moonlight. The cast of 2 is so underwhelming when compared to 1.

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
Ubisoft should dominate this thread. Most of AC, For Honor, Watchdogs, Division, even Far Cry...

So many games, so few memorable characters.

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019
Sure the main characters are more memorable but what about the supporting cast? I can barely remember the names of any other character in the AC series.

well, i certainly have no memory whatsoever of the supporting casts in origins & odyssey. but i do, indeed, remember characters like leonardo davinci, & edward 'blackbeard' thatch, & charles dickens from the earlier games, so there's that...

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Yep, I'm there with you on Ys. I can name 2 (Dana and Adol) characters from VIII despite having played that game only about a year ago.
Ys VIII is a weird one in that there are six members of the party in a 50+ hour game, but four of them you can write their motivation, background and story arc on the back of a stamp, they just fill roles or JRPG cliches. Laxia feels hard-done-by in that her job is to be female lead until you meet Dana, then she gets dropped. The others are literally 'I'm a sailor', 'I'm a messenger but won't tell you who for until we meet them in act 3 and it's completely mundane', and 'I'm a plucky kid with a missing carer, guess I'm the annoying tagalong now'.

Even Adol doesn't really have an arc. He's a heroic, legendary explorer at the start, which actually makes a cool change as it explains why others rally around and respect him in a survival situation, but it doesn't really give him anywhere to go or anything to learn other than unpacking the plot via chopping up the local flora and fauna. It's not so much that it's Dana's story, hell that's on the box, but everyone else is just there. Which is kinda fair as castaways, but also really boring given that there are several NPC village members with way more interesting backgrounds. It just feels like they picked cliches like 'there needs to be a young woman we can sexualise early on because Dana arrives too late' and 'there needs to be a kid' and 'there needs to be a mysterious guy' without ever really feeling a need to tie them into the plot despite the length of the game.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I can name exactly two characters from the Tomb Raider reboot universe: Lara and Lara's friend Jonah. After three full games that's the entire cast.

GoGoDezmo

Nov 8, 2019
I'll agree with Ubisoft...with the exception of the Rayman series. Tons of memorable weirdos in that series. Shame it's effectively dormant atm.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say Chrono series, because of Cross' (and radical dreamers), expanded cast. Maybe I can name 3 characters from Cross.

Obviously Chrono Trigger has a great cast, nothing to say there.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
I like Assassin's Creed as a series but it has dozens of seemingly disposable and forgettable characters. I'm not sure why this is since the protagonists stand out. Maybe since they come out so frequently that it all becomes a blur (historical character is actually wacky!).

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
I was kinda of thinking about this myself the other day.

With the tales games the worst offender imo is easily tales of hearts.
Remember the main female character in that, i think her only defining feature was that everyone comments that she has a nice pair of legs.Main guy is just protagonist 101. And then everyone is else is ????. I actually dont remember at all who the antognist of the game is.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Well that's not true, in FFX there's Tidus and Yuna and Auron. And the blue dude that was really terrible in combat. And the antagonist ... wait who's the antagonist again?
Yu Yevon and Sin, pretty easy to remember because they keep saying it, as the religion backdrop in the game.

If you mean Seymour, he's easy to remember because of his plain first name and 'iconic' weird character design.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Final fantasy games not named 6,7,8 or 9.

>ff10
>forgettable cast

maxresdefault.jpg

FarZa17

Oct 27, 2017
Max Payne series I guess.

I only remember Max Payne and Mona Sax. The rest of antagonists, any named bad guys, good guys and side characters already forgotten.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Yall trying to get your ff digs in look out of touch as hell.

Regardless of those embarassing posts likely some mid their jrpg. Or everything ubisoft makes. Or the cast if cod campaigns.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Max Payne series I guess.

I only remember Max Payne and Mona Sax. The rest of antagonists, any named bad guys, good guys and side characters already forgotten.

You're not supposed to remember the characters,.but the monologues. fear is what gives men wings I'm inside a videogame something something drugs are bad

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Golden sun is a weird call. If we're just talking 1 and 2, main cast is just 4 characters that are pretty easy to remember.

Dragon quest.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Can anything beat the Tomb Raider reboot for this? Big Jonah becomes a main character in the third game because there was literally no one else.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Can anything beat the Tomb Raider reboot for this? Big Jonah becomes a main character in the third game because there was literally no one else.

Not that I'm saying they're memorable but jonah becomes a character because they killed everyone else.

Except Sam but people were shipping her with Lara and ewww we can't have that we want Lara to be a strong independent woman but also available for waifuing from the playerbase

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
It's kind of fascinating how memorable Pokemon are but not humans/NPCs. I guess character/creature design goes a long way in making something memorable.

My vote would be Ys games. They're typical gibberish names that mean nothing (I think?)
It's fascinating too how part of the fandom was convinced that Pokemon Master was going to be the "true 2019 Pokemon game" because it focused on the trainers which was what "the fans wanted".

Shadownet

Oct 29, 2017
If you played any of the Ezio Trilogy game and don't remember Ezio Auditore da Firenze.

You're a liar. He's still one of the most memorable character in the whole series.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Honestly... Tactics Ogre Let Us Cling Together. I have the hardest time remembering characters and names from that game, despite liking it a lot.

There's Denam, Catua (did I even spell that correctly?), Vyce (ditto?), the winged dude, two Lancelots I believe, that one woman who was added in the remake and doesn't join you unless you fulfill a shopping list of conditions (Raveness?), a blind samurai dude (Hobirim ?) and finally a brother-sister duo named Ogma...? Ozma...? I don't know.

It makes some sense because it's less about the characters and more about the geopolitics. But still.

Kivvi

Jun 25, 2018
For me it's Tales of and the Trails of games.
People can shit on FF XV all day long and I'd mostly agree but Noctis and his friends are anything but forgetful.

Khasim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Other than the villains in Far Cry 3, 4, and 5... pretty much every game Ubisoft has put out since Beyond Good and Evil.
That's unfair - Ezio, Edward, Bayek and to a lesser extent Shay are all very likeable and memorable protagonists in the AC games. There are also some side characters which weren't all great but definitely memorable, such as Al Mualim, Leonardo Da Vinci, Achilles, Uncle It's-a-me-Mario, Cesare & Rodrigo Borgia, Blackbeard... Ubisoft is definitely getting really bad at writing memorable characters, but this started only a few years ago.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
I have beaten most mainline Zelda games several times but could not tell you the names of most of the secondary characters in basically all of them. Outside of some notable excellent characters like Groose, Saria and maybe Urbosa I would honestly have to look up the names of most everyone else not completely central to the story like Midna or Ganon.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
If you played any of the Ezio Trilogy game and don't remember Ezio Auditore da Firenze.

You're a liar. He's still one of the most memorable character in the whole series.
I think more outside of Ezio, like I remember Mario (literally because he goes "it's a-me Mario" when Ezio runs into him), his family (because Ezio's Family is AC's main theme) and the historical figures (like da Vinci), but I can barely remember most of the original characters. I think AC2 established some of the Isu who still pop up in new AC games too, but I'm not 100% sure AC1 didn't.

Jul 24, 2018
FFXII is full of memorable characters, even the guess party members like Larsa, and especially their villains who are pretty distinct from the usual FF villain. The main protagonist is not all that memorable at all.

zMiiChy-

Dec 12, 2017
So y'all just...didn't play 12 huh?
Balthier and Fran were great, they carried the game.

Van and Penelo were ok, I don't understand the hate for Vaan but he felt really forced as the protagonist.

Ashe was one of the worst leads in the franchise and I barely remember the other guy.