Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Pokémon for sure, it's honestly been going downhill for me. Persona is coming close, but I'm gonna give it one more chance with P6 now that Hashino left P-Studio.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
Star Wars until 2018. Didn't disliked The Last Jedi, it was just a burnout. I used to read 2-3 novels a year.
They tell me the new comics are very good, tho.

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
Pokemon, hands down. It used to be my favorite IP, hell my childhood is defined by my slavish devotion to it, but I'm burned out. The games have been on a steady decline since the DS-era, the fanbase has become a swirling vat of fanboyish toxicity bereft of any self-awareness and the franchise has reached the point where it sells on name-recognition alone, so there's no impetus to change for the better. I did buy a Riolu doll to decorate my car with so I haven't lost all of my fondness for the IP, but short of a massive overhaul, the francise might as well be dead to me.

And before anyone brings up that moronic MW2 pic, I didn't buy LGPE or SwSh and I never will.

KilleyMC

Oct 27, 2017
Montevideo , Uruguay
Final Fantasy, was one of my favorite JRPG series until XII, then XIII came and I couldn't force myself to finish it. It was the last one I bought and seeing the direction it took with XV and VII R I can't picture myself buying one again.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
Halo, Gears of War, and speculatively Metal Gear Solid. I'm sure there are a lot of really talented people at 343 and The Coalition but Halo 4 evaporated any interest I had in the series and by the time Gears of War 4 rolled around I had already ejected out of Microsoft world.

My interest is piqued with Halo Infinite and I think that next gen could be moment we go back to being a 3 console household but I'm keeping it at arms length until we actual get hands-on impressions.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Kingdom hearts. I was an obsessed fan and my most hyped release ever was KH2. The thing is, after sooooo much hype and long development... It actually delivered (for me at least), so it was more that I had changed I guess than anything else. The PS3 gen fuckery didn't help either.

I still like KH but where before it was "OMG A LION KING WORLD" now is "Nomura is so salty lol".

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
Recently, Overwatch. From announcement to roughly two years after release I was following every single thing related to it... until one day I stopped caring entirely for no particular reason.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Halo for sure. It used to be the king of gaming for me but after 4 I realized it was going into its 'direct-to-dvd' affair.

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
Pokemon. If a painfully mediocre generation, followed by two abysmal ones wasn't enough, now we have TPCI/Gamefreak going to remarkable lengths to nickel and dime its fans, because they know that it'll sell regardless.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
Call Of Duty. Used to play the previous one until the next one launched from 4 to Black Ops 2, and was always insanely hyped for the launch. I was done with BO2 within weeks, and that was that.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Sims. I used to follow all the news and get every expansion at launch but towards the end of the Sims 3 I grew increasingly frustrated at the direction of the series and skipped all the expansions after university. I picked up 4 at launch but haven't bought a single piece of additional content for it and usually only become aware of stuff because an LGR review pops up.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Call Of Duty

Last generation we wouldn't miss a midnight release and squad up asap. This generation I barely paid it attention and never touched a multi because the franchise became uninspired and graphically sub par.

The Wild part about this is 2019's MW had everyone I know who drifted from the franchise right back like we never left after a 6 year hiatus.

Mr. Nice_Guy

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely adding to Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy the thread.

The former decided to meander for a decade and not actually progress it's story, just convoluting it to the point of stupidity. The latter decided to waste an entire console generation on a mediocre to terrible trilogy and then gradually kept taking forever to release new numbered entries.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
Uncharted. I loved 1-3 dearly and still do, but I backed Team Red and Team Green this gen. I was actually gonna buy a PS4 when UC4 came out, but Amy Hennig being fired really rubbed me the wrong way and gave me cold feet. A shame, because from what I understand, UC4 is damn good.

I'm a freelance reviewer on the side now, so I think I'll buy into Team Blue again next gen alongside a Series X. If so, first thing I'm doing besides playing launch titles is working ny way through UC4 and Lost Legacy. I love the output of XGS and Nintendo dearly, but as it stands, nothing they make comes close to Uncharted in tone and feel, much like how Sony and Nintendo won't best Gears and Halo, and how Xbox and Sony won't best Fire Emblem.

llLeonhart

Oct 21, 2019
Pokemon
Gears of War
Halo
To some extent, the last of Us? only the second game, I know, but for some reason I can't bring myself to get hyped for it even though I loved the first and the dlc as well.

Caeda

Oct 25, 2017
Danbury, CT
After miss after miss, Silent Hill. Any time there's new rumors these days, I just sigh and roll my eyes because of the slew of very poor releases.

FunkyPajamas

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Halo for sure. It used to be the king of gaming for me but after 4 I realized it was going into its 'direct-to-dvd' affair.
Me too. Halo CE is still one of my favorite FPS campaigns. I played it over and over, solo and co-op. I loved the Nylund books. I followed the I Love Bees ARG. Then the Halo 2 campaign soured me, and I felt like Halo 3 campaign didn't really make up for it. From then it's been downward and while I still care a bit, the franchise has lost its magic for me.

Last time I tried to get into the books (Forerunner trilogy) I didn't even enjoy them. I had hope again when Halo 5 teasers and stuff started hinting at Blue Team but then the actual game came out and I didn't enjoy it, though to be honest I didn't play it to completion. Then I watched videos and read about the rest of the game and it just made me sad.

I really want Infinite to be good but don't have a lot of hope.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Probably Halo but I think Halo MCC kinda broke me along with just general cooling on all game news. I still enjoy reading and discussing but I don't get too into it much now even though I hang around a lot. Halo MCC getting fixed and then some was like the mission is over for me, I couldn't get into anything as much as that again, I'm glad 343 gave it another go. I'm just going to chill more on games and enjoy stuff, not get too into it but you never know what gets you.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Pokemon, Call of Duty, Need for Speed, Gran Turismo, Grand Theft Auto

I still care to some degree for each franchise and of course pay attention to the news around them since im just a game industry junkie but relative to how much I used to love and follow these series' today I just dont really get excited.

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Metal Gear Solid.

I remember playing the first one a little bit In a gaming kiosk on a department store and I immediately fell in love.

I bought a PS1 and a PS2 due to this game and its sequel.

I considere the first three games in the Solid series as three of my best experiences of my gaming life. Snake Eater in the top five for sure.

And then MGS4 was released and killed the love that I had to series so so much that MGS5 is still in the wrap paper since release date.

I was sooo excited, I asked my father who lives in NYC ( I live in Mexico City) to go to a GameStop and preorder the collector edition, I watched every piece of information and trailer. You know the process.

And the I played the game..and as a game MGS4 is "fine" I guess, good graphics , good controls etc.

But the plot just left me completely unsatisfied for some reason. Everything was nanomachines, i was tired of Otacon romances. The Big Boss reveal at the end didn't make sense, hated Maryl and Shitty pants plot, didn't liked the bosses and how poorly explained and how little participation they have in the game (specially coming from MGS3) , Kojima really abused of cinemas to tell the story etc etc.

I don't know if the game release coincided with me starting to take a role in my adult life already, first job, having a kid etc. But I really failed to understand Kojima, MGS4 hurted so much that it makes weary of Kojima's "brilliance".

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I used to play 2-3 hours of Dota 2 every day. Spent hundreds every month on cosmetics. Kept up to take on updates to the game. Followed the competitive scene heavily

And then just stopped after the Monkey King patch when they changed all sorts of core mechanics. I just did not feel like it was worth my time to relearn pieces of the game, so I stopped playing and have maybe played 2-3 matches since then (that update was like 3 years ago).

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's Final Fantasy.

I was obsessed with the series from 1999 (when I first played VII) until 2010 (when XIII came out). It wasn't just that XIII was weaker than the older games, but that it was pretty late into last gen too. By the time it came out I'd already been seduced by BioWare and Bethesda that gen.

Honourable mentions to Metal Gear, Kingdom Hearts, Mass Effect, Fallout.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There are a bunch. Mortal Kombat, Halo, Dead or Alive, Soul Calibur.
Interests change as you grow. This is very normal.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Assassin's Creed. I used to play every single (console) game, really got into the story and everything.

Then Assassin's Creed III happened... almost put me off for the franchise for good. Now I only play the games once every couple of years.

Oct 27, 2017
Funny cause this is the week I decided to give up all digital card games. They have been my mainstay for the past 5 years (since HS released) but I'm done now.

Magic Arena has actually been a great way to play standard for example but I just can't do it anymore; the need to log in everyday, keeping up with the metas etc, it just takes all my gaming time up (it's also batshit expensive). LoR was the final nail in the coffin for some reason. Can't do it anymore.

Onward to my next obsession!

Ensoul

Oct 27, 2017
Final Fantasy but that may have more to do with more with my tastes in games changing.

I Loved the FF games for the SNES, VII of course and X but that was it. I did try to get into FF 13 for the 360 but the game was awful. I quickly became annoyed after about 2 hours because all I felt like I was doing was walking 3 feet, then fighting monsters non stop.

Street fight and Mortal Kombat is another. I LIVED at the arcade in the 90s playing MK or SF non stop. I was pretty good at the games as well.

Now? I completely dropped SF. I do buy the newest MK games but it is the same thing: I have every intention of getting back into the game but after playing I get overwhelmed at the sheer numbers of moves and combos that I no longer have the skills or patience to learn. I drop the game and wish I had my 50 or 60 bucks back.

Last edited:

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Final Fantasy used to be one of my favorite franchise in the '90s.
Now I couldn't care less.

Twonny

Dec 12, 2018
Overwatch. I was all in during the summer of 2016 and played often with friends.

Now I don't really care about it.

Sloane Ranger

Oct 27, 2017
New Albany
Tomb Raider, back in the day - my interest faded by the last one of the old gens as they lost some of the fun puzzling. Then I started up with the re-launch, enjoyed it, but it too faded and got further away from the fun factor to me by the last one (Shadow). It's like people love the concept and go all in at the beginning, and then forget what makes it fun as the series evolves.

Lordciego

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Might and Magic, specially the Heroes subbrand. Played the Heroes games obsesibely, my nick comes from playing them, and even was parte of the spanish community that decides unit translation and other things un the Homm V beta, but the change in Lore and tone after the Ubisoft buyout just lost me. Heroes V, expansions and Dark Messiah were decent, but what came after not, stories always revolving about demon invasion in some way, town being centered more in races like elves, Dark elves or dwarfs instead of the multirracial or multicriature nature of previous versions, VI and VII being kind of just Ok. It begining a little more generic fantasy setting stylewise and graphicaly (old setting was Also a little generic but has shit like realizing you are in a world where technology has fallen, or shit like armagedon Blade clashing with another sword destroying the world, or old iconic characters that they tried to being black to new Lore like Sandro).

Also Ubisoft appointing different brand managers over time, general lack of funding, sourcing it to external developers and fucking with them (they just basically killef Black Hole Entertainment)

But the final nail has been Ubisoft handling of It using it as its generic mobile and web spinoff IP. More than a couple of web browser games, mobile RPG, card Game... At least we got the great Clash of heroes out of this.

In resume, just the change from being the Main IP from New World Computing to the WTF do I do with this IP from Ubisoft.

Virtua Saturn

Oct 27, 2017
Halo. I played it every day, read the books, was into red vs blue since episode 4. Then I just stopped caring after Reach.

GillianSeed79

Oct 27, 2017
Final Fantasy. Haven't been interested in a FF game since FFXII. I used to be obsessed with the series. Recent ones? Maybe Mass Effect, Dragon Age, and Assassin's Creed? Also, outside of FirePro, I haven't been interested in a wrestling game since the N64.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
Ace Attorney.

A combination of Capcom constantly refusing to localize the spin-offs, added with the weak dumbed down mainline entries has just left me feeling apathetic about the franchise.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
Final Fantasy through IX. Interestingly enough I really, really loved IX so it was a great bookend for what I loved about the series. Then X came out and yeah. I've given every major FF release a fair shot since then and I'm just going through the motions with the false hope that the series will return to form.

Mandelbrot

Sep 16, 2019
I kind of moved on from Pokemon after the number of Pokemon got too large. Also did not like some of the features of the newer gens. Another thing I did not like was version exclusives.

Sep 14, 2018
Hmm, Fire Emblem. I've heard good things about Three Houses but I feel like the ship has sailed, I just don't like where the series went. It's nice that it grew and has more fans now, but they're fans of a different series than I was I suppose.

Dabi3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Call of Duty. I am still on the annual instalment plan but I no longer obsess over every little tidbit of info like I used to back when MW2 was rolling out.

The games are still good if not great. It's just the franchise fatigue is TOO real at this point.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Kingdom Hearts also lost me when 3 originally leaked. I waited for 3's dlc to play it and while it was enjoyable enough, it is still a step down story wise and is very likely to be my last KH game. Gameplay only became palatable due to later updates and it should have been like that from launch.

Pokémon also was a slow burn till Sword and Shield broke the camel's back. Like seriously can't stand even looking at it.