• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

nismopower

Oct 29, 2017
Ds4 is for me the best controller. I use 2 controllers with a dock and thats perfect with the battery's in them.
Maybe the triggers with more travel and perhaps adjustable stiffness( for racing).
And i like the push tot talk button idea. Other then that i cant figure what i want more on the ds4!

IvanSlavkov

Oct 27, 2017
Bulgaria
Keep the DS4 as it is and add the switch pro controller's battery. Everything is perfect as it is.

PS
Don't you dare remove the speaker.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Paddles/buttons on the back of the controller. And get rid of the touchpad.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
Have the DS5 be a mouse/KB combo.

No but seriously, I'd fix the analog stick durability and completely overhaul the analog triggers, they feel so bad compared to X1 ones (to me).

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Paddles/buttons on the back of the controller. And get rid of the touchpad.

Heck no, the touchpad is great when it gets used. And it's great on PC because you can do whatever you want with it. I could even get behind touchpads on the controller grips; more binding options.

Yazuka

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
* Way better battery Life.
* Option to turn off light (If they are keeping it)
* Keep the line out contact for headphones
* USB-C

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
All I can ask for honestly is a better battery. I love pretty much everything about the DS4. Feels perfect in my hand.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Heck no, the touchpad is great when it gets used. And it's great on PC because you can do whatever you want with it. I could even get behind touchpads on the controller grips; more binding options.
Most games I've played use the touchpad just as a singular button. All it does is drain the battery.

I assume the DS5 will keep it for compatibility's sake...but then again Sony got rid of pressure-sensitive buttons on the DS4.

Honestly, I only want paddles or buttons on the back.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
- USB-C
- bigger battery, ideally aiming at getting at least twice the play time
- keep touchpad for backwards compatibility and PS5 games that want to use it, but allow games and apps to turn off the touchpad if they don't use it. While off, but button portion of it could still work. Split the touchpad in half (virtually, not physically) with left and right sections to allow it to act as two separate buttons even when the touch function is turned off
- same with lightbar. Keep it, but allow it to be turned fully off. Allow VR games to force it on if necessary.

Let's be honest, nobody was precisely measuring how deep they pushed the shallow face buttons on the DS2 and 3.
The depth you pressed and the shallowness of the buttons didn't really matter - those buttons were pressure-sensitive. They didn't measure how far the button was pressed, they measured how hard you pressed it.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
I have yet to have a DS4 have any issues from my OG launch or my Pro launch but it definitely needs to improve battery life next gen. I would be fine with removable batteries like the Xbox controller if need be.

Also please for the love of God don't put paddles on the back of the stock controller unless they are easily removed and not intrusive when doing so. Bought an Xbox Elite controller and took those damn things off immediately after trying them out rendering it into basically just a normal xbox controller.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
- Better triggers
- Analog sticks that feel at least as good as the XB1's controller's
- At least double the battery life

cmChimera

Oct 28, 2017
USB-C, respectable battery life, removal of the light bar, better sticks, removal of the touch pad. Better overall build quality. I don't really like the DS4.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I hope they replace the touchpad with a 4.5 inch OLED screen. They can keep the screen off and leave the capacitive touch function on to mimic the touchpad, and the screen can allow second screen functionality and remote play directly on the controller.

Hell, let the controller tether to your phone so you can remote play on the go as well :)

Ravage

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
non symmetrical analog sticks

No.

Most games require you to keep both thumbs on the sticks. Humans have symmetrical hands. Asymmetrical stick layout will never ever make sense to me, keep that nonsense away please.

What i want is a breakable design for PS VR and clamping of phones. That and better battery life of course.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
I hope they replace the touchpad with a 4.5 inch OLED screen. They can keep the screen off and leave the capacitive touch function on to mimic the touchpad, and the screen can allow second screen functionality and remote play directly on the controller.

Hell, let the controller tether to your phone so you can remote play on the go as well :)
That'd be okay as a more expensive optional controller, but not as the primary controller. It'd be too expensive to buy several and having a screen on the controller would waste battery life and offer up a whole new set of failure points. As an accessory for people who want to make the most of Remote Play, it'd be nice, but has too many disadvantages to be the default and the Wii U makes a compelling case that the amount of games that would make worthwhile use of second screen functionality is maybe a single digit number per generation.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Paddles -- having more forms of input is a game changer and it's so nice to not have to click the sticks when using my Elite controller's paddles
Rumble triggers -- I think this is something really cool that the Xbox controller has that I would be more than happy to see the PS5 controller pick up.
Better battery life is the last big one for me.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
Generally don't change much but...

• USB-C charging (with Power Delivery support).
  • I will always continue to want them to fill in the centre of the D-pad, however unlikely this is.
  • Option for games to turn off the light if they don't utilise it and the user to force the same.
  • Paddles to replace R3/L3 (probably with the R3 paddle defaulting to a push to talk button).
  • Better battery life.

Oct 27, 2017
The DualShock 4 has some features like the touchpad and speaker that were basically pointless because most games didn't use them. So I'm convinced that the DualShock 5 won't have a touchpad or speaker. The lightbar is necessary for PSVR so I think Sony will keep it. I rarely used the share button, but I think that it's a nice feature. So it will probably stay, too.

Sony could copy the analog triggers with rumble motors or HD Rumble. But I don't think that would be very exciting.

I don't know if it's feasible but a controller that can change its temperature could be interesting. But I'm sure that there are better features. So what features should the DualShock 5 offer?
Touchpad and speakers dont need to go away. Astro Bot was amazing with it

Ubik

Nov 13, 2018
Canada
Just make a Dualshock 2 wireless and add better quality sticks and triggers. Sell an elite version for anything more than that.

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Better battery life. Better sticks. Better quality overall. I like the ergonomics of the DS4, it's their best so far, but they have to improve the durability of the controller.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
keep all features (including lightbar and touchpad), better battery life, better stick quality, paddles (!!!)

Yoda

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Better battery life and paddles. Everything else can remain the same, for all I care. I hope they keep the touchpad because it's a nice button to have to pull up maps/inventory/menus in a lot of games.

Icky Thump

Oct 30, 2017
Better battery life for sure.

Replacable AA batteries! Maybe include some Eneloop Pros in the box. *braces self*

LostLink

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Removing the touch pad and increase battery life and make the analog sticks bigger and longer. That's all. Thank you.

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I really really like my DS4's. Used them not only with my PS4 but PS3 and PC for certain games.

Battery life can be greatly improved if the light bar gets erased. I'd like to see that.

Everything else should stay the same.

Edit: Didn't really know that the battery life was such an issue. I usually use my DS4's in a compact setup, so its always wired in.

Oct 27, 2017
I really like the DS4 but for me it basically needs better battery life and if the light bar is needed for VR, just have it only turn on when youre in VR or when its actually needed.

I also really hope they put better stick mechanisms in, not so much the material its made out of, but the electronics. I'm on my 3rd DS4 now(prob 4th soon) due to the same issue. Left stick will get all wonky if you push forward on it in the right angle which the controller thinks im pushing it full tilt or slight tilt. So in games you'll see your character go from full speed to slow walk speed back and forth very fast. It ruins games where sprinting is needed like COD as slow walking kills your sprint.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Really curious how people who are suggesting that the touchpad be removed want PS4 backwards compatibility to be handled.

You can partially replicate the touchpad with weird workarounds (and indeed some officially licensed third party PS4 controllers do this) but for full compatibility, you do need a depressable touch-sensitive surface.

So for the people who want it gone, do you not care about backwards compatibility, or do you want full PS4 backwards compatibility to require ownership of a PS4 controller, or do you have some other solution in mind?

Heid

Jan 7, 2018
Add extra paddles on the back on the inside of the handles and make all the buttons capacitive.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
Paddles and grip buttons. Let me never let go of the right analog stick if I don't want to.

Oct 27, 2017
If the rumors of a screen are true I'd love a 4 inch screen, 720p, streams your console to the controller anywhere with web.

But DS4, maybe replace touch pad with a screen, and better battery life is all

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Dump the DS design for a start. Sony is the only one that uses that design. It's a relic of the 90's, and even then it was a hack job.

I'd prefer a completely concave analog. I don't like the current shape. I have concave analogs on my second controller and it's just so much better because of it.

I don't think the light and touch screen are going anywhere. Though I could see the speaker disappearing.

Battery life needs to be addressed. DS4's battery life is awful.

I prefer the vita dpad, but the DS4 dpad isn't too bad. The face buttons and shoulder buttons are fine. The triggers will need to be redone. The DS4's are better than the DS3's, but can still be improved upon.

W4cko

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
Extra button above triangle ( to ping people on map I bet 95 procent multiplayer games Will use this feature.

Oct 29, 2017
I like the touchpad because of how it basically ended up being used as some big start and select buttons. It's pretty good, I hope it stays that way and they only remove the touchpad function.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
A share button that isn't where anyone who's played games before would expect Select to be.
Anyone used to previous PlayStation controllers would not expect the Select button to be where the Share button is now.

The Select button on the first three PlayStation consoles was directly rightwards of the d-pad - since the introduction of the analogue sticks, the Select button has always been almost exactly in line with the left-right axis of the d-pad.

Anyone reaching for that location would press the touchpad, which in many games is the exact functional equivalent of what the Select button was used for (generally map or menu screens).