Green Yoshi

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cologne (Germany)
The DualShock 4 has some features like the touchpad and speaker that were basically pointless because most games didn't use them. So I'm convinced that the DualShock 5 won't have a touchpad or speaker. The lightbar is necessary for PSVR so I think Sony will keep it. I rarely used the share button, but I think that it's a nice feature. So it will probably stay, too.

Sony could copy the analog triggers with rumble motors or HD Rumble. But I don't think that would be very exciting.

I don't know if it's feasible but a controller that can change its temperature could be interesting. But I'm sure that there are better features. So what features should the DualShock 5 offer?

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Better battery life and paddles. I have 3 fingers on each hand doing nothing, my thumbs are busy enough with the sticks, I don't want to have to stop aiming to hit X to jump. Other than that the controller is perfection.

Ok maybe add support below the triggers. Ant tell you how many times I've accidentally fast forwarded or rewinded a movie or video just by setting the controller on the couch or a table. I hate that it rests on the triggers themselves.

Pillock

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
The same rumble mechanics on the triggers the X1 controller has.

Paertan

Oct 28, 2017
Push To Talk button
lyedjq4.jpg

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
No lightbar. That was a pretty worthless feature and it only served to decrease the already low battery life and create a distraction reflecting on your screen (thank God for electrical tape). Still can't believe Sony only ever patched in an option to dim it, and not turn it off altogether.

Mhj

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Forced motion control

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
The total opposite of the ds4 in every single aspect would be a great start.

Build quality
Battery life
Quality and position of the sticks
Remove the useless touchpad and led light
The shitty mini-usb port

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
Battery life greater than 4 hours.
Option to TURN OFF THE LIGHT.
Better ergonomics on the analog stick placement/handle position
Battery life that isn't awful
Better design of the start/share button (too flush currently)
Better d-pad
Better battery life

Oct 25, 2017
No lightbar. That was a pretty worthless feature and it only served to decrease the already low battery life and create a distraction reflecting on your screen (thank God for electrical tape). Still can't believe Sony only ever patched in an option to dim it, and not turn it off altogether.
It's used in PS VR games to track the controller. However, the PS4 seems to know when the tracking is actually used (the light gets brightened even when dim option is on), so there definitely should be an option to turn it off when it's not needed.

I do hope for a better tracking solution for PS VR 2 entirely, so the light bar can go away. It's really bad in Move games like Superhot VR and Beat Saber.

The light bar does not affect battery life much. I have used a glitch in PS4 Remote Play on PC which turns off the light bar and it doesn't really do much for the battery life.

FarZa17

Oct 27, 2017
Wireless charging, with PS5 base console to charge it or using extended charger pad.

Also a new layout perhaps, like more buttons, maybe 5 face buttons, with 1 new button at the center, built slightly lower height than 4 face buttons, different material surface and acts as a universal confirm button; no more X/O confusion, no more jump and accept button fused together.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017

Unless they're abandoning VR, the lightbar is staying.

It's also possible they'll change the tracking technology, but I think that's less likely.

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
Banana shape Vita like controller option for remote play with R2/L2 buttons. The DualShock 5V.

VodkaFX

May 31, 2018
Better battery life
Option to turn off the lightbar
Better quality materials for the sticks (the rubber sticks on launch DS4 were prone to tearing due to this, newer revisions fixed this issue but at the expense of having slightly lesser grip)

Ergonomics wise I think there is no need for any changes, its pretty comfortable as it is currently.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I'd honestly prefer the touchpad to stay. It's especially useful when games let you use different parts of it as extra inputs.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Better battery life.

No lightbar or built-in 6-DOF sensor as this locks down the tracking mechanism.
It's better for the PSVR2 package to include a couple of such sensor add-ons (and to sell them separately).
This means that they could release a PSVR3 with totally different tracking mechanism during the PS5 lifecycle.
Just have the add-on click into the USB or expansion port on the back.

I will say this: Please keep the speakers.
They are underutilized but they can be quite fun when properly used (i.e. Resident Evil 2 Remake).

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
It is better than that. Don't get me wrong, it's not great, but they're not that bad. They're 6-7 hours, at least that's how they've been on all the ones I've owned including my launch heavily used one.
If they lay idle then 6-7 hours rings true for me.

If there's even a slight hint of rumble in the game, it's 4 at best

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
I hope to see Sony copying once again the good ideas by Nintendo (and I'm not saying this as something pejorative, but as something positive).

They need to include HD rumble, which in my opinion is one of the greatest advancements seen in controllers this generation.

I can't imagine playing games like 'Celeste' without its superb HD rumble, that adds an incredible layer of immersion.

I also think that the idea of a touch panel was something cool, but it was poorly implemented in the Dual Shock 4.

I want to see this improved, in a way in which we can have a way of controlling a pointer as accurate as a mouse.

And they need to discard the light feature, at the end it consumed too much battery.

And please, don't change the design of the DPAD, it was in a godly tier for 2D games. A vast improvement over the DPAD of the DualShock 3.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
  • Grip buttons. I love the grip buttons on the Steam Controller, I just wish it had more of them. So for DS5 I want 4 grip buttons.
  • Better battery life.
  • Better stick top material.
  • Better feeling buttons. Switch Pro Controller buttons feel far better to me because they are less wobbly.
  • No lightbar or at least make it possible to turn it off. A more simple dim light to determine which controller is which would be fine.
  • Softwarewise I want per game button mapping supported by the OS itself so game developers can't just not support it.
  • Gyro aim should be a standard feature required by Sony for any games involving aiming at things. Luddites could turn it off.

Henrar

Nov 27, 2017
USB-C, better battery life, user replacable batteries, better build quality.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
DS4 is a competent controller with an awful batterylife.

I get roughly 4-5 hours from both of my controllers and that's just awful.
In a perfect world I would like them to make the jump to asymetric sticks but that wont happen so the batterylife is good enough for me :P

Jenea

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
- much better batery
- better quality build
- HD rumbles in triggers (optional)
- wireless charging (optional)
- more buttons (optional)

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Make a Switch Pro Controller shaped more like a DS4. Give it a Xbox 360 D-pad and keep the DS4 triggers. Swap the left stick and D-pad around so that the two sticks are on the bottom like all previous DS controllers.