BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Sad to say that as usual the western Square Enix teams never are at the forefront of visuals, so The Avengers looks bad. But on the bright side, Spider-Man PS4 was gorgeous - it's a real shame people don't acknowledge how much better games without useless dynamic time of day cycles can look thanks to global illumination and such.

Spider-Man was pretty good. The campaign was fun mostly and it was pretty overall. Sure, it wasn't particularly special, but it was at least worth a play through. I am still so impressed with its amazing lighting and motion blur in many places.

What are some similarly major licenses that haven't been in gaming yet or for a while, that could really blow up and sell millions if given the kind of budget and production values Sony gave to Spider-Man?

I still really want the 007 franchise to return. It could look stunning once we get past the disgusting cross gen window we're in for. I can just imagine some amazing estate Party with ray tracing and brilliant lighting.

I'd also kill for a WATCHMEN game in a rainy photorealistic period NYC. The grime and neon. Give it to me (and let me throw a beer bottle at a mugger and swiftly wall kick him). Rocksteady has the bones for the structure, but I think we can do better on visuals.
reSMaZi.gif

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
i feel like a James Bond game could still be good. Make it a number of genres put together a la jedi fallen order and have it work. part spy party, 3rd person shooter, driving game. maybe big open do what you want levels a la hitman. make it narrative heavy. feel like it could have a better chance making up it's own tale rather than basing it off one of the films.

As for Watchmen, nah.

Last edited:

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sad to say that as usual the western Square Enix teams never are at the forefront of visuals, so The Avengers looks bad. But on the bright side, Spider-Man PS4 was gorgeous - it's a real shame people don't acknowledge how much better games without useless dynamic time of day cycles can look thanks to global illumination and such.

Spider-Man was pretty good. The campaign was fun mostly and it was pretty overall. Sure, it wasn't particularly special, but it was at least worth a play through. I am still so impressed with its amazing lighting and motion blur in many places.

What are some similarly major licenses that haven't been in gaming yet or for a while, that could really blow up and sell millions if given the kind of budget and production values Sony gave to Spider-Man?

I still really want the 007 franchise to return. It could look stunning once we get past the disgusting cross gen window we're in for. I can just imagine some amazing estate Party with ray tracing and brilliant lighting.

I'd also kill for a WATCHMEN game in a rainy photorealistic period NYC. The grime and neon. Give it to me (and let me throw a beer bottle at a mugger and swiftly wall kick him). Rocksteady has the bones for the structure, but I think we can do better on visuals.
reSMaZi.gif

hard disagree there, i think it looks great and rise+shadow of the tomb raider are two of the best looking games this gen imo

Last edited:

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Harry Potter with a Persona calendar system, the game writes itself and would sell 10 million copies without trying.

Nov 23, 2017
I actually came into say Bond too, give him a social link system with many beautiful women or basically copy yakuzas city "Open city" design as a hub between bond linear cinematic missions and this game will sell billions

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
reSMaZi.gif

I can't imagine a Watchmen game that makes any decent use of the license beyond aesthetics that isn't a Telltale adventure style game. The moment you make it a beat 'em up is the moment you fundamentally misunderstand the license you're adapting.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Literally any of them. Spiderman's success lays at the feet of Insomniac though.

The real question is, who would develop it?

I can't imagine a Watchmen game that makes any decent use of the license beyond aesthetics that isn't a Telltale adventure style game. The moment you make it a beat 'em up is the moment you fundamentally misunderstand the license you're adapting.
STRONGLY AGREE

A Watchman game that hinges on violence severely misses the point of Watchmen.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Harry Potter is already being made. Hopefully they nail it.

Iron Man needs to be made by Anthem team

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
There was a Watchmen beat-em-up, it was total bobbins. A good Bond game would be appreciated though.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't really know what I said that's not appropriate to the Watchmen world but ok
The surly and hateful, but brilliant original creator of the comic famously hates absolutely everything that is ever done with any of his work that even sort of approaches adapting or expanding on it. You get extra nerd cred for expressing similar disdain.

You did not say anything wrong.

RavFiveFour

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Now with Batman and Spiderman there's a lot of super hero candidates that can get their own AAA video game.

Pelao

Banned
Jan 7, 2020
Chile
Slam Dunk.
I can picture in my head the perfect Persona-esque Slam Dunk game, only instead of killing monsters when you're not busy you train for a big game at the end of the month.
Oh, sorry, did you write major license? Well, let me tell you about Patlabor...

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yup, begging to be a big budget RPG.
Final battle of Order of the Phoenix is straight up video game kino.

I think I'd prefer it to be a game where we could make our own character and have a house chosen for that character based off early game choices and dialog trees - just take place in the Wizarding World.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think making a(nother) Watchmen game would be kind of weird considering the book literally pastiches lines of merchandise.

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I cant believe WB is just sitting on The Matrix
Yeah weird especially since the creators themselves said gamers should carry on the world when they were making The Matrix Online. Things really died out after The Trash of Neo, but I had really loved Enter the Matrix. I wonder if the new movie next year will be a hit enough to reignite the IP for Warner Bros, who own Rocksteady.