Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
The game is good, but flawed.

It can be worth playing if you are interested, if not its an easy skip

Woetyler

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

unless i've been following the game for awhile and already know i'm buying on release day, this is usually how i feel.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
In my rating system that means good. If I read that from someone else it means only buy if you have a very strong personal inclination to do so.

Yeah, pretty much.

I work on a scale of 5/10 being average. Not exactly bad but also not good. It's playable and occasionally fun.

in video game "journalism" 7/10 seems to mean average or bad, though. It's peculiar.

I've played and loved a bunch of supposed 7/10 games.

Deleted member 268

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A game that may not have lived up to its potential but was otherwise worthy of my time and more than likely memorable enough to perhaps one day warrant a replay should the mood strike.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Either it's a game that's flawed but still good, or it's a game that you may find yourself either loving or hating.

7/10s usually end up being some of the more exciting titles depending on who it's from.

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
If I was on the fence and a game got a 7, I would probably skip it.

If I was really interested in the game, it'd take something in the 5-6 range or lower to give me pause, unless I really knew it'd be something I enjoy.

stinkyguy666

Nov 4, 2017
7 is below average. It's like getting a C. Congrats, you barely passed your class.

Metacritic.
1-6: Garbage
7: Below average. Lots of flaws, but one thing might stand out
8: Average
9: Good
10: Excellent

Like the only reviewer that doesn't use this scale as far as I know is AJ. But IGN, Gamespot, etc. all seem to use that scale lol
that seems like an incredibly pessimistic scale lol

in what world is an 8/10 just "average"

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
What do I consider/rate 7/10, or what do iI perceive a 7/10 to mean from meta/outlets?

I consider a 7 a good score for a game meaning that a game is well put together and fun, but it either has things that bring it down in my eyes, or it's a genre I don't usually like.

7/10 on meta typically means ehhhhh in my mind. Not always true of course. I mean original NieR got a 68 iirc.

hitmon

Oct 26, 2017
7 is a solid game that has potential to be better, but is held back by its flaws. Probably considered a niche title by most and wouldn't be considered for any awards.

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
7/10 is a solid game reduced by one or two pieces of foundation that truly hold it back from be remarkable.

There are a LOT of games that I don't feel are great, but I really enjoy.

NathanS

Dec 5, 2017
I think there's almost two, maybe three questions packed into this.

There's what would you mean if you called a game a 7/10.
There's what you think others mean, especially big review sites, when they call a game a 7/10 or 70% score or such.
And then there's what do you want others especially big review sites, to mean when when they call a game a 7/10 or 70% score or such.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
It always kills me when people are so proud of liking a 7/10 or lower game, wearing it like a badge of pride. Different people like different games, you liked the game more than the reviewer/reviewers did...bravo!

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
Games that are generally average across the board, or those that have a mixture of highs and lows that average out to...well, average.

Quantum Break
Wolfenstein TNC

Games like that.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, pretty much.

I work on a scale of 5/10 being average. Not exactly bad but also not good. It's playable and occasionally fun.

in video game "journalism" 7/10 seems to mean average or bad, though. It's peculiar.

But what outlet calls a 7/10 game bad tho. I feel like, the audience just perceives it that way.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed it but had problems with it. Normally fall into two categories: 1. game does one thing really well and it makes up for the rest of the product 2. the game does most thing pretty well, but not spectacularly and I may have a few other small complaints.

Zero83

Oct 29, 2017
Oslo
A good game that I will most likely enjoy quite a lot if I'm into that particular genre.

Or a good game that I'll not enjoy if I'm not into that particular genre.

Deimos

Oct 25, 2017
A good game with a decent number of flaws, but still worth playing and recommending.

Oct 27, 2017
7/10 usually means to me that it is good, but not great; although, it has the potential to be great if you are a fan of the series/genre that is being graded.

When it comes to more popular games nowadays though, they are pretty much assessed on a scale of 6 to 10 out of 10. If you're below a 6, that usually means there is some large, underlying issue with the game.

I think a pretty good example of what I'm getting at lies with the 3DS's lineup. If you go to "Best 3DS games" on Metacritic, you will see A LOT of just okay games that have aggregate scores between the ranges of 75 to 80 (Monster Hunter Stories, Mario and Luigi Paper Jam, Yokai Watch 1, Sticker Star, Zero Time Dilemma, Pokemon Ultra Sun/Moon, etc). These games aren't bad by any means, but they're not spectacular either, just okay.

I definitely feel like this concept applies mainly to popular releases because more niche stuff requires more effort to go through most of the time, due to the lack of familiarity with the game/genre/series.

That's why something like Stella Glow having a 79 on Metacritic sounds more appealing to me than Mario and Luigi Dream Team having an 81.

Oticon

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, pretty much.

In reality, 5/10 should mean average but I feel like gaming scores work like school grades. 10/10 Masterpiece, 9/10 Amazing but some flaws, 8/10 Good, 7/10 is average, 6/10 borderline, 5/10 and below means game is highly flawed to broken (fail).

TGR Onix

Nov 3, 2017
That's a good game in my book. An 8 is great. A 9 is excellent. A 10 is near flawless and worthy of being a classic. Hence why I barely ever think of games as tens.

Gizmo

Oct 27, 2017
San Diego
7/10 to me equals a playable solid game that has issues with mechanics or story. Room for improvement but not a bad game overall.

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017
It's that deep for some people tho.

The year was 1998, Ocarina of Time was created by the gods and delivered upon us mere mortals. I dusted the Doritos dust off my fingers and there it was ... a 7 out of 10. The fire of a thousand volcanoes burned in my heart, a rage so fierce.

CCUUUUURRSEEEEE YOOOUUU

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
7/10
Good. But it can still be great if you like the genre and can look past some glaring issues. 7/10 is usually the score where I get the most positively surprised since reviewers and forum people always sound so negative that my expectations when jumping in are super low.

It's never a day 1 purchase for me though, I always jump in on sales or Gamepass with these.

Examples:
State of Decay 2
The Last Guardian

JayBee

Alt-account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
Decent game I would get if I had extra money to spare otherwise I don't bother

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
7/10 is two points above the norm/average. People should absolutely check 7/10 games out! A 7/10 is probably a great game with some minor flaws that achieves what it sets out to achieve for the most part. A lot of 7/10 games are ambitious and interesting and try to do different or unique things, but might not do much with them aside from experimentation.

Now, whether or not publications consider 7/10 to meet this criteria is a different story, but when I think of a 7/10, that's what I think.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
0/10 & 1/10: it doesn't exist.
2/10: a game where everything seems bad. Example: Brothers.
3/10: a good game but with a major issue which totally prevent to enjoy it (like a very difficult game). Or a game with many issues (story, gameplay, etc). Example: The Quiet Man.
4/10: a good game, but with some problems which prevent to enjoy it. Or just a boring game. Example: Oblivion.
5/10: a good game. Example: Dragon Age Inquisition.
6/10: a very good game, but without anything really special. Example: Sleeping Dogs.
7/10: a game very special, that I will remember forever. Example: BioShock Infinite.
8/10: a game almost perfect, with only small defaults and very memorable. Example: Horizon Zero Dawn.
9/10: a game where I can't find any real default, where everything seems perfect. Example: Total War Warhammer.
10/10: error 404, no entry there.

Last edited:

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When I see a 7/10 (before reading the written review) I usually take it to mean that the game is just okay for a general audience but borders on good or even very good for fans of the series, genre, or niche.

Nov 1, 2017
It's all contextual, with professional review outlets nothing ever scores below a 6 or a 7 unless it's shovelware or there's some serious flaw in the design of the game that significantly impacts enjoyment. That's usually why you see people scrutinize those games a lot more compared to the 8-10 range which are often safe bets. In the communities themselves you'll see people either following that lead with a mix of "I don't give game 10's because there's no such thing as perfect" and "I really liked this niche thing but since it's my rating I'm giving it a 10". A plain old 7/10 isn't enough to extract any sort of information, you need to look at who said it, what their complaints are, is the person a fan of the genre, does the tone of the review match the score, etc.

To me a 7/10 would mean a solid base that has some execution issues preventing it from being elevated to a "great" game but again, due diligence needs to be done whenever you're reading someone elses score.