• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

School setting?

• It's trash

Votes: 503 28.6%
  • I'm indifferent

Votes: 690 39.2%
  • It's my jam

Votes: 567 32.2%

• Total voters

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't watch anime at all, and I don't go out of my way to play anime games about school life (I pick games based on gameplay, not art style or story.)

So to me the settings is like whatever. I just need more of that FE turn-based strategy goodness.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
I'm feeling trepidation over the setting.

Here's the thing about games in school setting that I hate in one screenshot:

QkfA0Fb.jpg

What's one of the hallmarks of Fire Emblem? Every unit is a unique character, with their own personality.

So what do we do? Stick them all in the same uniform!

Hope you like identifying people solely by their hair!

Yeah good point. Hopefully the school part is only like the first act of the entire game =/.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
Indifferent. I do like how its taking cues from Valkyria Chronicles (standardized military uniforms) and Langrisser (the "batallions".

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Only if it's American high school so we don't have to bother with pandering uniforms for female characters.

Remember the Japanese gaming laws: All females must wear miniskirts and/or some form of thigh-high stockings. Absolutely no pants allowed! unless they're super tight.
To be fair, people would think you are gay if you wear pants in Japanese high school, even in winter. It's a not gaming thing, it's just Japan being Japan. Girls even cut their skirts shorter themselves to look nicer.

QkfA0Fb.jpg

What's one of the hallmarks of Fire Emblem? Every unit is a unique character, with their own personality.

The knights have located the bandits, now students have to fight them. Great writings right there.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm TENTATIVELY on board. It'll be very easy to fuck things up, but I think if they balance school nonsense with actual political drama (as shallow as FE politics may be) it could be interesting. I'd love to see classmates torn apart by a civil war.

I also think we'll end up pairing the students together and NOT fucking them as their teacher which should help mitigate the Waifu Emblem stuff... I say stupidly.

OP
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
lol at all the negative people here, we have not seen enough to say the setting is trash.
I mean, a school setting is not a bad thing per se, see Harry Potter and Persona.
It actually makes sense, you are the teacher and train and give directions to your students, so that they grow stronger (level up) and forge bonds.
I'm excited to see more.
Harry Potter and Persona work because the story is all about school life in appropriate setting.

This Fire Emblem set in fantasy Medieval time, where a huge war is brewing. Make up your mind, is it a war game or a school one?

Also, you can still teach and train your units, grow them and forge bonds too in a military setting, just like the previous Fire Emblem games.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Harry Potter and Persona work because the story is all about school life in appropriate setting.

This Fire Emblem set in fantasy Medieval time, where a huge war is brewing. Make up your mind, is it a war game or a school one?

Also, you can still teach and train your units, grow them and forge bonds too in a military setting, just like the previous Fire Emblem games.
Military Academies are a thing.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
I know it is school setting right from the reveal trailer. And I have absolutely no problem with it. I mean, FFVIII, Trails of Cold Steel and Valkyria Chronicles 2 are also based in school...

Do note that only one of the games you listed has a generally positive image among JRPG fandom.

And that one barely makes the cut, and in a few years might end up as hated as the other two once the dust fully settles on it.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I'm cool with it's setting because its the first Fire Emblem to feature it. Not going to just out right dismiss it immediately without experiences how it fits into FE.

Hakunon

Oct 11, 2018
As long as the relationship stuff is restricted to the students among themselves, I can bear it.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I deeply dislike it Too much Japanese media already use this concept and they rely on the same tropes for their characters and story writing. It's boring.

Last edited:

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe if this was made by Matsuno, I'd have more hope for this kind of scenario. From current IS, I'm awaiting ~awkward moments~ between teacher and a particularly sexy, totally 14.. I mean 18 year old student during swimming exercise or beach episode. Or even if they keep things more appropriate with teacher never lusting after students and only having student on student relations, still doing something gross with underage (looking) characters.
Eh, for what it's worth, not many of these characters shown look any younger than 17 at minimum, as far as I'm concerned. The high school analogy certainly isn't perfect here.

QkfA0Fb.jpg

To be fair, actual professional armies have uniforms. It's just that you usually don't see that with FE characters outside of generic units.

Blunoise

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I wasn't even looking at the students but that teacher in that one scene looks like a potential Waifu lol and romance may not even be in this game. Sometimes ppl need to embrace change we don't even know what the story is about

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Reminded me of the harry potter schools except no huffle puff.

I have no real opinion on it, not he biggest FE guy.

Looks neat?

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017

FIre Emblem at its core is a complete nonsensical game because its targeted audience was always middle school japanese kids.

Would you send out 14/15 year olds like Marth, Roy, Caeda and Lyn into war?

And I also take the academy to be a slight homage to Genealogy as SIgurd/Quan/Eldigan were all classmates there.

Oct 27, 2017

QkfA0Fb.jpg

They literally change clothing with their class. They probably only look like that in the beginning when they're still early on. Some of you guys are just finding things to complain about
BCVGmAY.jpg

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Remind me a lot of Harry Potter so that is a great vibe there.

Also people saying sending young guys or gals for war in Fire Emblem..... u guys never play FE at all??? How old is Roy, Lyn, Eirika, Marth, Caeda when they enter war lol.

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
As a Fire Emblem noob who doesn't consume much anime I think it's fine. Doesn't really matter. The "trope" aspect is kinda lost on me given the fact the only pop culture comparison I could think of was Harry Potter.

I'm mostly interested in the gameplay. From what I understand, there's typically romance stuff in these games? Hopefully they leave that trash in the trash this time around.

GeekyDad

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
USA
Didn't care for the portrait art. Everything else in that trailer looked pretty good to me. Not sure what to expect, of course, but still quite optimistic. Either way, been pre-ordered since last year. That sure as shit ain't changin'!

Faiyaz

Nov 30, 2017
Bangladesh
Do note that only one of the games you listed has a generally positive image among JRPG fandom.

And that one barely makes the cut, and in a few years might end up as hated as the other two once the dust fully settles on it.

I know you're referring to Trails of Cold Steel as the one which is well liked by the jrpg fandom. But isn't FF VIII well liked too?

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
I'm way down for it, especially because you're not a student

What does it matter what the "JRPG fandom" thinks about it? I just care if I like it

Jaq'or

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Jun 6, 2018
Nervous that it might feature teacher-student relationships, but hoping that it won't.

Spacejaws

"This guy are sick" of the One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Everybody saying the student - teacher relationship won't happen, the 'teacher' looks younger than some of their students. Why couldn't you play as the badass Merc Dad...

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017
If you've watched/read your fair share of anime/manga in the past 10-15 years you KNOW how played out the (high) school setting is. Isekai has been a nice break from that, but some might say its turning out to be just as big a trend. I need to see how Nintendo handles this setting before I cast judgement. Gameplay wise I liked what I saw.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty funny that after that trailer what most people are talking about is their fear of relationships with students. This is really what FE is all about now eh.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
To be fair, people would think you are gay if you wear pants in Japanese high school, even in winter. It's a not gaming thing, it's just Japan being Japan. Girls even cut their skirts shorter themselves to look nicer.

The knights have located the bandits, now students have to fight them. Great writings right there.
It is not at all odd historically that academy officers are younger and less experienced than the soldiers they lead.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I probably won't be getting the game because of it.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
FIre Emblem at its core is a complete nonsensical game because its targeted audience was always middle school japanese kids.

Would you send out 14/15 year olds like Marth, Roy, Caeda and Lyn into war?
Bringing up the younger units from past games and saying it's the same thing ignores that they were forced to fight and defend their homes. They didn't get a nice school to live in and learn math and chemistry, or hang out with their friends during lunch to have some semblance of normalcy. It's lame in comparison.

rayngiraffe

Dec 11, 2018
Still seeing some of those "fire emblem was never the same after the fatesawakening games" and i'm like - fire emblem has always been a tropey anime mess ever since shadow dragon. But keep on having that bias if it makes you happy, I suppose.

Anyway i'm excited for 3H. Art is really pretty even through there's quite a lot of sameface, and it looks pretty fun from what little we've seen.
Also glad to see the MU feature being back (although the FeMU armor looks....really out of place against the other characters).

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Bringing up the younger units from past games and saying it's the same thing ignores that they were forced to fight and defend their homes. They didn't get a nice school to live in and learn math and chemistry, or hang out with their friends during lunch to have some semblance of normalcy. It's lame in comparison.

Sending young nobles to military schools is not something alien to medieval era though.

And what we see here is still some small skirmish like taking care of bandit. So it is not out of their capabilities.

Oct 25, 2017
I think it looks dreadfully boring. The hooks for the world and story basically were non-existent for me. Combined with the still shit female designs, it's just... eh.