• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 8166

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If people wouldn't abuse sick time (those that get a set amount a year) it would go a long way to justifying more or even unlimited. A lot of people just see it as an extra vacation bank and abuse it which ruins it for the people that use it properly.

3 weeks seems reasonable.
That's some of the weirdest shit ever. You think 3 weeks is reasonable?!

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
That's some of the weirdest shit ever. You think 3 weeks is reasonable?!
Yeah? But I rarely get sick so I have built up 800+ hours of sick time at my current job. I have coworkers that have been here as long and even longer than I have that have not had any significant illness or injury that have 0 hours and burn a day every other pay period once they have a shift worth of sick time.

We have so much annual leave between sick, vacation, and holiday leave that we have almost 10 weeks a year and people still manage to use it all and not have any for when they get the flu.

Prinz Eugn

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah? But I rarely get sick so I have built up 800+ hours of sick time at my current job. I have coworkers that have been here as long and even longer than I have that have not had any significant illness or injury that have 0 hours and burn a day every other pay period once they have a shift worth of sick time.

We have so much annual leave between sick, vacation, and holiday leave that we have almost 10 weeks a year and people still manage to use it all and not have any for when they get the flu.

How long are your "holidays"? A lot of places in the US have basically a handful of days off in a year outside personal leave of some kind, so three weeks vacation seems really low.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
I get 120 hours (three work weeks) of vacation + 80 hours (two work weeks) of sick time.

I left a job that gave me 200 hours of vacation/sick time in one bucket (five weeks).

Seems a little low, but truth is, I don't know when I'd find more time to actually use any more. Plus, my employer is SUPER, SUPER lax about when I work or come in or leave. I can do my job on my own schedule so long as it gets done, so that's great.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
How long are your "holidays"? A lot of places in the US have basically a handful of days off in a year outside personal leave of some kind, so three weeks vacation seems really low.
So I have 4 weeks of vacation annually, 120 hours of sick time, and 150 hours of holiday leave (I'm in a 24/7 job and work holidays so instead of double time we get all holidays put into a leave bank). I realize that I'm speaking from a high amount of privilege because in America thats typically a lot.

Oct 25, 2017
The Cyclone State
Honestly sick days shouldn't be a metric. If you're sick, you stay home. No day cost, nothing. How our office is.
For vacation, depends on length of time with the company, but at least 10 days to start.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Sick days should be technically unlimited, though after a certain point Dr. note should be required, or go through the FMLA process. We also need to get "free" universal healthcare to go along with the Dr. aknowlegement. If you're taking more than a a few weeks off, you've likely got a more serious problem than just feeling under the weather.

Also need a labor rights situation that provides protection for retaliation. Unlimited sick days isn't any good if the boss can fire you because they decided you weren't in work enough.

On vacation time, 4 weeks minimum. Other nations manage to function just fine with generous vacation time, no reason the U.S. should be any different. We're the wealtheist nation in the world, there's no reason we shouldn't be able to provide a similiar enviroment in the U.S.

pdog128

Dec 16, 2017
Let's see . . . I get 22.5 paid vacation days a year, plus probably 1-2 weeks of holidays. You can roll over 25 days into the next year, but anything over that is lost. If you leave, your banked vacation days are paid out.

Sick time, I think is roughly 1 day earned per month. I don't think there's a limit to how many you can bank, I have around 400 hours right now. It doesn't pay out.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Thats what FML is for. Thats 12 weeks a year. It's only unpaid if you don't have enough vacation built up to cover it.
That's... unpaid time off, then. Or you basically go on vacation while being sick.
So basically, unless you give up your free time you usually have to live life, you don't get paid while being sick, but at least you keep your job?
And if you already took your vacation time, which you deserve to take, obviously, you have to live from the money you saved up?
That's absolute trash and punishes people for being sick, what the hell.

edit: edited my post a bit

Last edited:

crimsonECHIDNA

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Having limited sick days is such an insane concept.

Honestly, it really shouldn't be. Work places could easily sus out who is actually abusing the system and correspond accordingly.

What's more crazy really is how many workplaces make use of "sick pools" instead, banking on employees to pool together their own sick leave in case of emergencies.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
we don't have 'sick days' over here as far as I know. My company gives you 32 vacation days (on a 40 hour/week contract). So thats 256 hours, or almost 6.5 weeks.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
What's more crazy really is how many workplaces make use of "sick pools" instead, banking on employees to pool together their own sick leave in case of emergencies.
That is mad. Reminds me of this video:

Also reminds me of people who have "personal days" which are vacation days OR sick days, but if you use them up and get sick, you're screwed. Disgusting tbh.

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
I have 29 days a year and can carry over 5. I think it's the perfect amount.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Sick for up to a few weeks and vacation should be 28 days. That's the standard in germany +/- 2 days.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
4 weeks of vacation is a must. I currently get 27 days of vacation and personal days, 5 sick days and all major holidays (plus Juneteenth and Xmas eve).

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017
EpdR9y6VEAALdaJ

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
I get 24h sick leave and 40h PTO per year. I never take any PTO because PTO is pooled across all employees and in the rare instances I request it my request is denied because the hours for that pay period have already been taken by others.

crimsonECHIDNA

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Isn't that a perfect reason in favor of unlimited sick leave? If it's easy to find out who is abusing the system then just... do that. Require a doctors certification for leaves longer than 2 days.
Employees don't need to stress about whether they are "sick enough" to use one of their sick days. And it's better for a sick employee to rest and recover than coming in and performing at 50% capacity while potentially spreading infectious diseases around the company. It's really a benefit to the employer and employee both as soon you look past the immediate issue of "work done this week" and do just one step of consequence analysis.

Yeah, that's exactly why I'm in favor of it.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
How does your job handle covid cases? At least potentially. Those are guaranteed to take longer, no?

We have been working remotely since early March. As far as I know, you can take as much time as needed to recover from COVID but I don't really know if you have to exhaust your personal/vacation days first.

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017
I got 240 hours holiday hours and 12 weeks company sick pay a year which seems fairly reasonable. Thought they do a stupid thing that if you are off more than three separate times a year they take away the CSP and don't get entitled to it again for six months.

subrock

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
I wouldn't go for anything less than 5 weeks and unlimited sick days (never known a company to track sick days tbh, if you're sick, you're sick)

My current company is unlimited vacation and sick days

Oct 27, 2017
Sick: Unlimited with doctors notes.
PTO: 239.5 hours (32 days at 7 and a half hour days).

My current position has 22 days which is down significantly from my previous employer (282 hours or about 37 days). I think about 30 days PTO is about reasonable as it works out at approximately 2 weeks at Christmas, 2 weeks in summer, and 2 weeks for elsewhere in the year. I think my minimum PTO for future positions would be 26 days.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
I get 24h sick leave and 40h PTO per year. I never take any PTO because PTO is pooled across all employees and in the rare instances I request it my request is denied because the hours for that pay period have already been taken by others.
maxresdefault.jpg

EDIT: Sorry for the honestly pretty tasteless joke. I'm just horrified and hope you find something better.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
ive been doing a number of interviews and it seems 3 weeks to start off is becoming more standard for companies.

....qtf.

I get 10 days a year.

period. 15 years....sigh
you've been at the same company for 15 years and you only get 2 weeks? You should be at 4 weeks minimum, even in the US.

Lol you can tell who lives in Europe and who is in the US. It's apples to oranges.
haha right.

the worst though is I've worked for several companies based in Europe and Australia and employees in both countries of origin would take the entire month of August off and Americans would mock the practice acting like we're better because we work harder.
I figured out very early in my career that its all bullshit. Work life balance is way more important.

Oct 27, 2017
In SF Bay Area- 5 vacation, 5 sick days. I'm salaried. If you want a longer vacation, you can 'owe' the next year and makeup on weekends etc they are flexible. However I kinda just do my work and go if I need to (or come in late, oops). Sick days don't roll over so we try and use up. I always use mine up anyway for 'mental health days' when I'm truly burning out. Private company btw.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Canada - Union
started at 3, now up to 5 weeks, plus bonus weeks off every few yeara
2 weeks sick before proof is required
13 or 14 stat holidays

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

You have a pathetic amount of annual leave and sickness allowance compared to similar countries and you're blaming it on other workers taking what they can not the employers?
If people wouldn't abuse sick time (those that get a set amount a year) it would go a long way to justifying more or even unlimited. A lot of people just see it as an extra vacation bank and abuse it which ruins it for the people that use it properly.

3 weeks seems reasonable.

I know those abusers, they call in sick every other Friday during the busy periods or is mysteriously sick before long weekends. It's annoying because we all know they aren't sick. They also have lots of seniority so have 6 to 8 weeks vacation plus stat holidays. For some sick days really are just extra days off regardless of how good they have it.

Stragenly the abusers haven't called in since WFH, probably because cooped up at home is not much fun even if they call in.

Last edited:

LanceX2

Oct 25, 2017
ive been doing a number of interviews and it seems 3 weeks to start off is becoming more standard for companies.

you've been at the same company for 15 years and you only get 2 weeks? You should be at 4 weeks minimum, even in the US.

haha right.

the worst though is I've worked for several companies based in Europe and Australia and employees in both countries of origin would take the entire month of August off and Americans would mock the practice acting like we're better because we work harder.
I figured out very early in my career that its all bullshit. Work life balance is way more important.
not in oklahoma. theu dpmt jave to offer any

Patriiick

Oct 31, 2018
Grimsby, GB
I get:
  • 27 days annual leave
  • 7 bank holidays
  • Christmas closure (this year 23rd Dec - 4th Jan)
This is fairly standard for the UK, maybe a little better than average.

That's really good! I get 20 days off not including bank holidays but I had to save 3 days of my annual leave to book for the shutdown between Christmas and New Years. Got told today we don't have to come in on Christmas Eve(we usually come in but leave by 10am and get paid for the whole day) only to be told we won't get paid for it, so I basically miss out on a days pay, which is bollocks.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
4 weeks vacation,
10 days of personal leave
Unlimited sick leave
5 Volunteer Days

Lexad

"This guy are sick"
Nov 4, 2017
I get three weeks of vacation to use how I see fit and we shut down for a week at Christmas. I think that is fine, especially because I work 4x10s so I get Friday off.

what more bothers me is jus 40 hours to use for stuff like sick leave or appointments. That is just gonna force people to come in sick oncewe are allowed in the office so they don't touch vacation leave.