• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Your opinion on Xbox Series X design?

• Amazing!

Votes: 600 17.8%
  • Like it

Votes: 1,273 37.7%
  • Will do

Votes: 493 14.6%
  • Meh

Votes: 602 17.8%
  • What a monstrosity

Votes: 405 12.0%

• Total voters

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I put consoles in an entertainment center and never think about them again so as long as it is quiet, it's great!

FlashFlooder

Oct 30, 2017
It baffles me that people are actually arguing with those saying it won't work with their home entertainment setups. You guys realize it's not really a "one size fits all" situation, right?

Regardless of personal setups, this thing is large. Just accept it. That said, if MS can make it compelling enough, I'm sure people will find a way to accommodate it.

And we don't even know if the power supply is integrated or if will have a brick. I suspect the latter, and it will probably be massive given the power requirements.

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017
Won't fit mine. My switch dock I have to tilt to get it out. Maybe it'll just squeeze in there. Can't see it though tbh

Cooking

Oct 27, 2017
I think it looks great, but even horizontally it won't fit in the space my X resides in currently

Epinephrine

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina
It looks like a tiny PC. My tower is plain black box, no windows, no RGB, so the X Series is right in my asthetic sweetspot.

I want to play games on the thing, the more it blends in to the background for me the better.

That said, unless they're bringing some sweet exclusives, I'll just go PS5. I skipped out on MS for the first time this generation, mostly because I built a gaming PC before the One X hit. I'm due for a refresh next year so they'll need something compelling to get me on board.

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
Putting this behind the TV is alright for me as I can easily get around the back but others will have their TV in a corner and many of these 55inch TVs are the same width or longer than a typical TV stand. I have no room either side on mine but this will sit nice behind the TV with a wireless controller and downloaded games.

Buttonbasher

Dec 4, 2017
It baffles me that people are actually arguing with those saying it won't work with their home entertainment setups. You guys realize it's not really a "one size fits all" situation, right?

Regardless of personal setups, this thing is large. Just accept it. That said, if MS can make it compelling enough, I'm sure people will find a way to accommodate it.

And we don't even know if the power supply is integrated or if will have a brick. I suspect the latter, and I suspect it will be massive given the power requirements.
It's not large though, in the spectrum of home consoles. It might not be paper thin for folks (apparently) wafer thin entertainment centers, but it's a small box when compared to other consoles. Way smaller footprint than anything this gen, not counting the switch.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it looks kind of cool but yeah, very PC tower-ish. It wouldn't fit well in my current space but I could make it work.
Not sure why so many think it looks like a PC. This shape looks nothing like a PC case which are generally tall and long. While, yes, there are some cubic shaped PC cases, these are very rare boutique ones, and not associated generally with mainstream PC cases that 95% of PC gamers use.

11-352-072-V22.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019

And we don't even know if the power supply is integrated or if will have a brick. I suspect the latter, and it will probably be massive given the power requirements.
Exactly, a lot of entertainment units are designed with compartments that are wide but low in height. Meant for things like DVD players and the traditional console design.

Just go to any furniture website and you will see.

Either way, while it can be placed horizontally, it is obvious it is intended to be place vertically.

Escaflow

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The idea of it being a mini pc tower-like I can get behind though I can understand issues with where to put it - even if it lays horizontally, it might not be ideal for the heat and fans.

But it's kind of boring, like they could have done something other than a box.

Well it's called Xbox after all

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
I think its fine. Looks more like a subwoofer than anything. I'm glad to hear it can lay flat. A little concerned at first because it didn't look like it would fit well or accommodate most TV stands/entertainment centers at first.

That's one part of Switch that I don't hear a lot about but has to be an issue for many of us (the console doesn't fit well with our entertainment centers, can't go on a shelf because it has to be pulled from above, and unless you have a very wide TV stand or TV mounted well above your entertainment center, its hard to find space for it on the top shelf without blocking the TV.

Deleted member 9479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Looks fine but for living rooms I wonder how many people are just going to sit it on the floor when they find it difficult to place it on nearby shelves made for lower profile devices.

I had a hard enough time with my Switch.

edit: I realize it CAN lay flat but I'm not sure the design will speak to that possibility as much as previous consoles which would also stand upright or lay flat. And to be honest, on my living room component shelves I'm still not sure I will fit laying flat, haven't seen measurements yet.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I hate the concave portion of the vent at the top and the fact that it shares the Xbox One logo verbatim without being reworked.

Rest of the chassis is decent. It's a solid B on the academic scale. Fixing those two issues would have put it into a B+ category.

Xbox One S and X are an +A and A respectively for their looks and branding. They look more modern and elegant than this.

Igorth

Nov 13, 2017
I like the design and sure the thermals will benefit from it, but I cant think of a place to put it on my current living room, and thats a big problem for me.

JoelStinty

Aug 15, 2019
I quite like the design. And that's nothing I can say about their previous consoles. Guess design is down to cooling? Wonder if the ps5 will have a similar design?

banter

Jan 12, 2018
It's a box. It's tall instead of wide and it's very plain. Meh, very boring just like the current xboxs that some people think are the greatest design ever. Granted, I never worry about the aesthetics of consoles anyway.

Furyous

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
I expected to be smaller but that's not my gripe.

Let's talk about the controller...

Xbox has big controllers historically. This controller is way too big. I expect more functionality from it. All of this could amount to early gripes but the op asked for first impressions.

Make the controller smaller and give it a display. Keep the thickness since that's a Microsoft trademark feature. That controller looks like the lovechild of the current controller and the elite controller.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
My TV is on a stand that lifts it and the space between table and TV is where my PS4 sits.

I would have to put this on the ground for my set up to work.

Buttonbasher

Dec 4, 2017

Xbox has big controllers historically. This controller is way too big. I expect more functionality from it. All of this could amount to early gripes but the op asked for first impressions.

Make the controller smaller and give it a display. Keep the thickness since that's a Microsoft trademark feature. That controller looks like the lovechild of the current controller and the elite controller.
What? It's the same size as the Xbox One controller...

Samuel

Oct 27, 2017
It reminded me of a computer.

And then I asked myself why not just buy a computer instead.

McDomination

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
I expected to be smaller but that's not my gripe.

The XSX controller is actually slightly smaller than the standard XB1 controller:

"Spencer also noted that while the current Xbox One controller fits the majority of hands, according to Microsoft's research, the new design is ever-so-slightly smaller in subtle ways to increase that coverage from 95% to 98%."

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Even on it's side it still looks too bulky to fit into my TV stand.....
Bullshit. Let's see your TV cabinet.
Imagine thinking that this Xbox isn't being modeled standing on its side and that you can't lay it down like every other console that has been modeled this way.
You can't lay down 3 Xbox One controllers in your entertainment system? I find that extremely hard to believe.

There's definitely cabinets it seems wouldn't accept this. Mine is a fairly common sort of design, the slot for devices is about 2mm bigger than a CD, so anything over 5" tall wouldn't go inside.
Bridgehampton+TV+Stand+for+TVs+up+to+65%2522.jpg

But you're all missing the point. It's not desigend to go inside a cabinet, it's designed to sit out in the open proudly, next to the TV, where you can talk to it and ask it to do magic things for you.

krang

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure why so many think it looks like a PC. This shape looks nothing like a PC case which are generally tall and long. While, yes, there are some cubic shaped PC cases, these are very rare boutique ones, and not associated generally with mainstream PC cases that 95% of PC gamers use.

11-352-072-V22.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Yeah it really looks very little like a PC. It's closer to a tall Amazon Fire Cube or standalone speaker.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I like the vertical design, and the mini-PC look is novel enough for the console space that I think it stands out without looking tacky. I was a big fan of the GameCube design as well. I like in the reveal how they deliberately make it seem huge, then they show the scale next to the normal controller.