• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which is the worst?

• Sewer

Votes: 367 32.1%
  • Desert

Votes: 107 9.4%
  • Underwater

Votes: 668 58.5%

• Total voters

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Underwater levels are the absolute worst, been hating them since '85
IBlZ5-.gif

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing is worse than underwater physics. Nothing.

I'll even take an ice level or a lava level over an underwater level. Lol.

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Even MGR: Revengence couldn't make a good sewer level.

But underwater levels are never fun.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I would say sewers of those but really any area where everything is pitch black except your torch's light. I find them irritating.

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019
Desert is rarely ever good, Journey is about the only game to make the desert appealing

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Where's the option for Ice level? Slippery controls in a platformer are never fun.

I voted for Water though because swimming sucks just as much.

Calvinien

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
Is it terribly hipster of me if I say I like all three of those?

SWAMP/snow levels on the other hand, where you get stuck in the mud/snow and get slowed down to a crawl are the bane of my existence. I literally traded RDR2 in because it began with a snow level and I did not want to wait 10 hours for the game to stop offending me to my core.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Under water levels generally involved half assed mechanics change up. A few times they are good (I like the one in MGS2 for example) but usually they are clunky and sluggish, not very fun.

A lot of desert areas are quite interesting actually. Makes the developer design more creatively otherwise you get a very barren feel to them. Especially games that take place mostly in desert like Shadow of the Colossus and Journey.

Sewer levels are just whatever most of the time.. unless they have you slowly going through the water. That's only slightly better than most under water missions.

Sousl games made me hate poisonous swamps.

Sinatar

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like swamp levels aren't getting their due.

- Dank, wet, ugly
- Almost always makes you move slow
- Almost always has stupid enemies like giant mosquitoes, frogs, etc...
- Almost always involves some kind of poison horseshit.

Fuck swamps.

Doggg

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 17, 2017
Sewers are bad, but at least your movement isn't all messed up like when you're underwater. .

rickyson33

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
underwater typically also means worse controls,slower movement,and the lower visibility often makes the UI feel worse as well

so it's a pretty obvious choice and not a remotely close one either

Whales

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
if desert would be replaced with poison swamp then holy fuck, this would be a super balanced poll lol. The trinity of garbage

Hakunon

Oct 11, 2018
Generally underwater because it plays on my fears and enemies are annoying especially when there are no means to fight them but I really disliked the desert location in The Last Remnant and the quests that took place there.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Underwater levels and everyone mostly agrees.

Best levels: snow levels! Like in platformers! Super Mario! Etc.... Even survival games it can be cool. Snow deformation tech is also pretty convincing nowadays as well.

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Underwater cuz they usually make me the most anxious, especially if they're dark and spooky. Poor controls just make it worse.

Visually.... probably sewers? Deserts can be extremely bland af, but some of them can be super beautiful. Sewers are sewers.

Pennybags

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Hate underwater levels, love underwater based games.

I will forever evangelize about Treasures of the Deep to anyone that will hear me out.

Jaymageck

Nov 18, 2017
Toronto
Sewers are an objectively shitty theme. At least deserts and underwater are pretty. Beyond that it's just about whether the game has good gameplay mechanics for that theme or not.

RE2 Remake sewer is good though. They do work fairly well in horror.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Underwater: I am lost, everything is blue and I am possibly drowning

Sewer: I am lost

Desert:

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
Yeah, sewers are generally terrible levels for me. Really hard to do anything interesting from an art direction standpoint there. Underwater levels suffer due to controls.

Desert levels.... I'm not sure how many I could name outside of the ones in Uncharted 3, which I hated. But I hated that entire game, so it's not really the desert's fault.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Underwater or Sewer prolly

Don't mind desert levels at all

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Yeah, sewers are generally terrible levels for me. Really hard to do anything interesting from an art direction standpoint there. Underwater levels suffer due to controls.

Desert levels.... I'm not sure how many I could name outside of the ones in Uncharted 3, which I hated. But I hated that entire game, so it's not really the desert's fault.
Yeah agreed 100% but i didnt hate uc3 so not that part lol

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Of these, I definitely dislike sewers the most, especially in RPGs. That said, I think I dislike oil rig levels even more.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
I wish I knew the first RPG/JRPG to say "hey let's have a sewer level. Let's make it ugly as fuck and a total maze that all looks the same" so I could find the creator and punch them.

So, sewer.

Flygon

Oct 28, 2017
Sewer levels seem to always get the bad design end of the stick. That's my vote.

Desert levels I tend to love if done right. But there's a fair few badly done ones.
Which's a shame, because the well done ones are amazing. Mad Max was basically one gigantic well done desert level.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love desert areas in games. I don't really hate the other two either tbh. It's all in how it's done, even a sewer level can be good. Poll needs a 'none' option.