• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'll admit, some video games got me with a few jumpscares before...

UnevenShoddyJaguar-small.gif

aVinmSj.gif

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Hereditary has a couple of good ones.

One near the end is an expert piece of misdirection.
Very hard to gif though as it doesn't work without the setup.
It involves something out of focus clinging to a ceiling, a naked leering cultist and something rushing from an unexpected direction.

If you've seen the movie you probably know what I'm talking about.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
This is a classic one, from The Haunting, an earlier adaptation of The Haunting of Hill House.

I first watched it a couple of years ago when I was doing one of those horror movie a day challenges for October. This bit really made me jump, coming right after a very tense scene that has just been defused.

It's a really good film in general.

"God! Whose hand was I holding?"

Whiny0ldMan

Oct 28, 2017
For me it's The Ring (2002) when Samara teleports forward. I also remember a scene from Hill House where the lady with the broken neck drops down from the roof in a corridor - that one caught me completly off guard.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Mulholland Drive must be something you need to watch from the beginning because that clip was wack lol. A nice build up, but the actual jump scare did nothing.
Lol same, I'm wondering if it's like the one at the end of Don't Look Now where taken out of context it just looks sort of funny, but in the co text of the movie it's incredibly freaky
I mean, if you watch it knowing it ends in a jump scare, it has no power. And that's true of every single clip in this thread.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Jaws, Ben Gardner's boat. The sound/music design in this scene dramatically amplifies it (as with all jump scares)

tumblr_pepb3156rV1xe4p5io1_400.gifv

Runner up for me is tall man from It Follows

200.gif

Last edited:

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
I think the best/one genious jumpscare I can think of is from the original Resident Evil 2 when the Tyrant bursts through the wall.

In a way it's meta with the jumpscares that have happened before in the series. Pretty much all of them have something to do with windows like the dogs in RE1, the zombie hands bursting through the barred windows in RE2 and a licker jumping through the interrigation room glass. That kind of stuff.

So basically every jumpscare thus far in RE has happened in places where it makes sense for some monster to burst through and it conditions you in a way. Then we are introduced to the Tyrant during scenario B. After the first encounter they show you a short cutscene where the defeated monster rises back up and is after you again...

...and then you don't see him for a long time. It feels like 1/3rd of the game goes by with no sign of him. It's like they are deliberately building up this one scare for hours. You kinda start to even forget about the threat. And when they do bring him back, it's in the most surpring location possible.

You are in a small room with no windows and the only entryway is the door. There is absolutely nothing that could prepare you for a jumpscare in this empthy room. You do this easy puzzle in there in almost autopilot to collect a key item and prepare to leave... BAM! The monster just annihilates a fuckin wall. A pre-rendered backround wall at that. It's like they broke every rule the previous scares abided to. And it works so fuckin well. And after that long buildup and payoff for the scare they finally let the monster be relentless and at your heels constantly until the very end. Just great.

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, if you watch it knowing it ends in a jump scare, it has no power. And that's true of every single clip in this thread.
But there's clips in this thread that still scare me, like Haunting of Hill House.
yeah a bunch get me. Screamers I seek out get me too. I think the mulholland one just comes off funny because of the lighting and benign expression. It's like spookily tapping someone on the shoulder and they turn around smiling with sort of a dirty face. I do get that it's intense in context.

Ronabo

Oct 26, 2017
OHIO
The damn Resident Evil dogs made me and my friend jump off the couch screaming bloody murder on launch night. Nothing has ever gotten me like that since.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
Am I the only asshole in here who just didn't react to the Mulholland Drive scene with anything but mild amusement?? I didn't know it existed before watching but I guess it's worth pointing out I just wasn't that into the movie.

Hereditary has a couple of good ones.

One near the end is an expert piece of misdirection.
Very hard to gif though as it doesn't work without the setup.
It involves something out of focus clinging to a ceiling, a naked leering cultist and something rushing from an unexpected direction.

If you've seen the movie you probably know what I'm talking about.

This is a good one but I actually think the cultists were scarier in that scene than the jump scare moment.

Oct 27, 2017
My vote goes to Batman Arkham Knight with the Man-Bat jump scare. It's just so out of the blue for a game that doesn't seem like it would throw such a scare at you. That's why it is so perfect—you are in the middle of gameplay and then literally shit your pants.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
May not qualify as the greatest, but I still think that Dario Argento's Deep Red has one of the greatest "0-to-what the fuck" scares in cinema.

Skelatix

Oct 28, 2017
South Africa
The shutter door opening at the start of EVent Horizon gets me everytime even when I know it is coming.
Takes about 40seconds to get to the scene but the build up is what makes it for me.

Keio

Nov 5, 2017
The one I won't forget is Eternal Darkness and the bathtub. Since the whole game is built on this fucked up feeling that something is wrong with not just the game but reality, the jump scene came at exactly the point where I started questioning my sanity.

Turned my GameCube off, put all the lights on and went to sit in the kitchen with a glass of water.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Someone remind me what this is. I'm too much of a babby. A comic with a jump scare?
I don't think people are explaining this with justice. What makes this jump scare effective is the way it's done. It's not a typical animation. The comic is arranged so all of the panels are loaded vertically and you scroll down through them. When you reach a certain point in the scroll bar the comic suddenly starts scrolling by itself rapidly and as the panels whip by they create the animation.

ArchStanton

Oct 29, 2017
Don't think that's at all true. Overuse of shitty, lazy jump scares at the expense of suspsense or dread? Absolutely shitty. But a well built-up and executed jump scare will keep you on edge throughout the rest of a movie, and give bite to its other suspense sequences.

You nailed it. A good jump scare creates future tension in the rest of the movie (or game).

JimNastics

Jan 11, 2018
The ghost in the library in Ghostbusters caught me out badly as a kid! Screamed the house down, I was only about 5. it's one of my earliest memories of watching films.

tenor.gif

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
The blood test in The Thing.
ConcernedSnappyBullfrog-size_restricted.gif

My favorite from movies

In games I really loved the one in BioShock Infinite...
youtu.be

Top 3 Scary Moments - Bioshock Infinite

Top 3 Scariest Moments in Bioshock Infinite. Damn you unnecessary yet unavoidable jump-scares!RobiePAX's Steam Profile - http://steamcommunity.com/id/RobiePAX

.. and this one from Condemned Criminal Origins
youtu.be

Condemned scariest moment!

The scariest moment of Condemned ^^ Added: August 31, 2007, 05:05 PM

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wouldn't really call the MD one a jump scare.

I give it to Large Marge.

Oct 25, 2017
The ghost in the library in Ghostbusters caught me out badly as a kid! Screamed the house down, I was only about 5. it's one of my earliest memories of watching films.

tenor.gif

Yesssss. I was five when Ghostbusters was released on VHS and this scene terrified me, but I loved the rest of the film. My parents rented it for me several times after that, and so when it got to the library part I would leave the living room and go sit on the steps and have my mom or dad yell for me once the scene was over.