• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What are your thoughts on Zombie Land Saga?

• It's great

Votes: 47 46.5%
  • It's good

Votes: 34 33.7%
  • It's meh

Votes: 15 14.9%
  • It's bad

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • It's very bad

Votes: 2 2.0%

• Total voters

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
So i have been watching this show called Zombie Land Saga. I will freely admit, i am not a fan of Idol Anime at all - i have never gotten the appeal but i started to really like this show. I think the reason is that it takes a serious hard analysis at the her idol genre and its tropes while also paying tribute to them. It is at times a deconstruction of the idol genre and yet also a loving tribute to it. While i do have some flaws with it - inconsistent animation in the actual idol preformances (but i think that might be intentional).Overall, I think it does a really good job with its charcters and themes.

Also the OP is a banger

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I first heard of it as being a satire of the exploitative idol industry and that's what caught my interest.

A few episodes in and it occurred to me that it was just a straight up idol show, but it's alright because it's a great watch.

This is still the best part of the show

OP
OP
TheGamingNewsGuy

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
I first heard of it as being a satire of the exploitative idol industry and that's what caught my interest.

A few episodes in and it occurred to me that it was just a straight up idol show, but it's alright because it's a great watch.
I would say it's a mix. It often pokes fun of the whole idol tropes and culture but it's also a loving tribute at the same time.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Came for the comedy, stayed for the feels. Really good show overall imo.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
Dropped it after about 7 episodes or so, was really hoping for more story; nothing about why the mad scientist wants to resurrect these idols or how, or why the MC has no memories.

I assume that comes later but after half way I expected more plot

OP
OP
TheGamingNewsGuy

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Dropped it after about 7 episodes or so, was really hoping for more story; nothing about why the mad scientist wants to resurrect these idols or why the MC has no memories.

I don't think there will ever be a explenation on how he managed to ressurct them. As for the second one, i assume it was because of brain damage after being hit by a truck

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would say it's a mix. It often pokes fun of the whole idol tropes and culture but it's also a loving tribute at the same time.

It really doesn't. There are some token nods here and there (like the fact that if their fans found out the truth about them they would, quite literally, tear them limb from limb, or that the manager is kind of a generally stupid asshole who treats them like dirt and ropes them into hairbrained schemes to make money) but by and large it's a character driven show about idols.

Dropped it after about 7 episodes or so, was really hoping for more story; nothing about why the mad scientist wants to resurrect these idols or how, or why the MC has no memories.

Yeah that's the last arc that starts like an episode later.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I've been meaning to watch it, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Owlowiscious

Oct 27, 2017
some flaws with it - inconsistent animation in the actual idol preformances (but i think that might be intentional)
Maybe I imaginged it, or maybe I was wrong in the end, but when I was watching the series week by week, it felt like each episode was a different homage to a different idol series/presentation. Which to me explained the inconsistent animation during performances.

OP
OP
TheGamingNewsGuy

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Maybe I imaginged it, or maybe I was wrong in the end, but when I was watching the series week by week, it felt like each episode was a different homage to a different idol series/presentation. Which to me explained the inconsistent animation during performances.
Yeah, i am thinking that as well. It would certaintly make sense with the tone of the series

Critch

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
This isn't what I thought this thread was about
MV5BMTU5MDg0NTQ1N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjA4Mjg3Mg@@._V1_UY1200_CR115,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

Aug 13, 2019
It has a great OP and I liked it well enough until they had their little performance for that one girl. From what I remember the CG looked awful and the girl did their dumb walk/dance thing like it was the hypest shit and I just checked out.

Oct 27, 2017
I thought I was getting a zombie survival anime and got excited only to then get tricked into an idol anime that I actually enjoyed.

In the other words, I loved it. It is a really fun anime with great characters.

Oct 27, 2017
SoCal
Very enjoyable show; glad I gave it a shot when it aired. I didn't know they were making a second season, so that's something to look forward to.

Mother's Basement did an excellent episode on why it works so well:

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty meh overall IMO. Had some feels to it, especially in the last couple of episodes, but there were definitely some plot threads that went unresolved what's up with the manager, the feral zombie, the detectives. Maybe S2 can tie up the loose ends, but maybe not.

I dunno, unresolved plot threads tend to stick in my craw. I know they weren't really the focus of the show, but after so many episodes of watching the girls dither and mope while there are mysteries afoot... it just felt very slow-paced, y'know? Especially when I went looking for the manga so I could get my answers only to find, surprise: it wasn't based on a manga.

OP
OP
TheGamingNewsGuy

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Very enjoyable show; glad I gave it a shot when it aired. I didn't know they were making a second season, so that's something to look forward to.

Mother's Basement did an excellent episode on why it works so well:

Yeah it's called Zombie Land Saga Revenge and it's out in April

Pretty meh overall IMO. Had some feels to it, especially in the last couple of episodes, but there were definitely some plot threads that went unresolved what's up with the manager, the feral zombie, the detectives. Maybe S2 can tie up the loose ends, but maybe not.

I dunno, unresolved plot threads tend to stick in my craw. I know they weren't really the focus of the show, but after so many episodes of watching the girls dither and mope while there are mysteries afoot... it just felt very slow-paced, y'know? Especially when I went looking for the manga so I could get my answers only to find, surprise: it wasn't based on a manga.
There is a manga though
zombieland-saga.fandom.com

Zombie Land Saga Manga

The Zombie Land Saga manga (ゾンビランドサガ漫画 Zonbirandosaga manga) is a manga adaptation made by Megumu Soramichi that began on October 8, 2018 and ended on May 31, 2021. It deals with the adventures of talented producer Kotaro Tatsumi in search of the Saga that Franchouchou needs to become the best...

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's very good. I love the first season and am looking forward to Revenge.
Yeah it's called Zombie Land Saga Revenge and it's out in April

There is a manga though

Zombie Land Saga Manga

The Zombie Land Saga manga (ゾンビランドサガ漫画 Zonbirandosaga manga) is a manga adaptation made by Megumu Soramichi that began on October 8, 2018 and ended on May 31, 2021. It deals with the adventures of talented producer Kotaro Tatsumi in search of the Saga that Franchouchou needs to become the best...

It's an anime original. Says "manga adaptation" in the thing you linked.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
There is a manga though

Zombie Land Saga Manga

But the manga's not, like, the backbone on which the anime is based. Like, with most anime, the manga came first, then the anime is based on the manga. If you watch the anime and like it, you can then pick up the manga where the anime leaves off can keep going and find out what happens next.

But here the anime came first, and the manga's an adaptation of it. Or, from what I saw browsing the synopses just now, more of a side-story kind of deal. Bottom line: I can't get my answers from reading the manga, like I can from other anime that stop short of the ending.

OP
OP
TheGamingNewsGuy

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Personally i don't we will ever see an explenation on how Kotaro was able to bring back the girls back to life. It was basically handwaved in Ep1/2

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
Early episodes were hilarious but like most anime series I still wasn't able to make it to the end. Think I lost interest during the chicken episode.

lightning16

May 17, 2019
I thought it started out strong and got worse and worse as it went. I think it would've been best if it was more episodic and the plot was basically just the group trying out different types of music while trying to figure out wtf they were doing to funny results like the first few episodes were. The anime just got worse as it pivoted into trying to explore their various backstories and the group's internal drama. Basically I thought it was a funny comedy but a mediocre character-driven idol show. I don't think there was enough time nor good enough writing to make the latter work well in this context. I think overall I gave it like a 6 or something on MAL.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't think we'd see a season 2 since it's been so long. I really liked season 1. Lily's so fucking cute.

Oct 25, 2017
Louisville, Kentucky
I really liked it! I'm not big on idol anime but the show is genuinely very funny, is at least somewhat critical of the idol industry's abusive and exploitative practices, and had the guts to be a fairly major anime with an explicitly trans member of the cast (that pissed off a lot of the anime girl profile pic types, which... good).

I think I share most people's opinions that the show was uneven in terms of its character focus and raised a bunch of mysteries it didn't answer, but we've known for a while a second season was coming so I'm currently not holding that too much against it. I try to give ongoing series the benefit of the doubt that they will eventually get around to obvious loose threads, until they either finish or get cancelled without resolving them.

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
I watch it just for Mamoru Moyano and his antics. Show is pretty good, but man he just makes me laugh out loud.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
It had a good message and made me laugh more often than I thought it would.

Beyond that though, it was not memorable.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Hated it. It started off so promising and original but quickly became a stereotypical idol show. I dropped it after 6 or 7 episodes.

/edit: oh god the CG was awful as well, that's always a huge turn-off for me.