• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
I think them changing the ending is just not gonna happen. What I believe is not so far fetched and so important, I think thats what you are hinting at, is they should flesh out Priority: Earth. The last mission just sucks and is clearly super rushed and dearly needs more content.

When I say fix the endings, it's the entirety of Priority: Earth.

i mean, no one would do that. mocap and implementation is prob the most expensive part of gamedev.

Would it cost more than Shadow of the Colossus lastest remaster, for example? Also, there would be a return. EA will not simply give away the remaster for free. A reworked final streth for ME3 would make the game way more appealing.

They bother because tons of people still want a remaster. Even as someone who was initially let down by the ending myself, I've since gotten over it and I think a majority of players probably have as well. They're not going to siphon off the resources needed to change missions, change the script (that itself requires them to go back and make sure it doesn't break the rest of the script), record new VO, make all new cinematics and so on for an 8 year old game. I don't know any publisher that would.

Heck, that's not even taking into account if people would even like the hypothetical new ending or create an all-new controversy and headache for Bioware lol. Come on now.

It's not even the ending that bothers me (Priority: Earth does) it's its legacy. It's a taint on the Mass Effect trilogy that I wish to be gone. I don't want that * everytime some one brings it up.

And as I mentioned, of course it would be a costly affair, although I don't think any more than a DLC like Citadel, but I believe it would be worth it, both financially and thinking about the future of the franchise. A remaster shouldn't be seen a quick cash grab with minimal effort. That so many publishers think of them this way is why so many are terrible.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Realistically, I think the best we can hope for is redone textures, higher resolution/framerate for consoles, and maybe some lighting upgrades. Anything more than that and I'd be pleasantly surprised.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
it would cost FAR more than Citadel to redo the entirety of the last arc of ME3, c'mon.

How so? Citadel has an entire mission which is longer than Priority: Earth and they got back virtually the entire cast from the main game. Not to mention It has an entire new area of the citadel and a bonus mode. I won't deny I'm completely ignorant when it comes to a game's cost, but I can't see how they are at least comparable.

But more importantly, which is something everyone seems to ignore, we have to think of the return. Of course it would cost more than a simpler work, but it would pay itself.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Basically it'll be like the PC version with texture mods, 60fps probably. ME1 needs a complete ground-up remake to bring it in line with the vastly superior gameplay of 2 and 3, but that will never happen.

Suedemaker

Linked the Fire
Jun 4, 2019
If the question is, "What do you expect EA to do" then...
Straight ports of the three games running at higher resolutions and framerates, cleaner anti aliasing and anisotropic filtering. No new textures or asset revamps. Multiplayer removed.

Mass Effect 2 with texture mods is godly.

10hkor.jpg
This.

Just knowing EA as a company and their reluctance to do remasters at all until recently...there is no way this isn't what we're going to get. I half expect them to sell all the DLC separately too.

If the question is, "What are your personal expectations for what you want out of a ME Trilogy remaster;"
  • Mass Effect 1
    • Tighten up animations, bugs, enemy pathing, additional voice lines for combat etc.
    • Possibly do something like Saints Row 3 where everything is remodeled with new lighting to look closer to 2 but that's asking a lot
  • Mass Effect 2 is perfect.
    • Okay, same lighting upgrades and updated animations
    • It would never happen because it would unbalance the entire game...but I always wanted an inventory system closer to 1. Far more options for everything.
  • Mass Effect 3
    • *sigh*
    • Just give it the same lighting and animation (?) upgrades I guess. There's far too much I want fixed from this that would require just completely starting over and making a different game entirely. For me, the ending is the least of that game's problems.
    • Honestly thought the multiplayer was pretty decent for a while. After I stopped playing the single player it didn't keep me around long enough to see any changes so I don't know how it turned out.
  • All DLC included at no extra cost.
    • I liked Pinnacle Station. Fight me.
    • Including every single pre-order bonus; weapons, characters, outfits, whatever.
  • Custom resolution support (21:9 included for you folks even though I don't personally need it)
  • Uncapped framerate support, unless it screws with the game to be over 60-120-144 etc. 60hz is fine otherwise

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
How so? Citadel has an entire mission which is longer than Priority: Earth and they got back virtually the entire cast from the main game. Not to mention It has an entire new area of the citadel and a bonus mode. I won't deny I'm completely ignorant when it comes to a game's cost, but I can't see how they are at least comparable.

But more importantly, which is something everyone seems to ignore, we have to think of the return. Of course it would cost more than a simpler work, but it would pay itself.
I've long mentioned that Priority: Earth is shockingly garbage and arguably the absolute worst mission in the whole franchise.

There's so much you could do with it, but I know there are technical and logistical limitations. It depends; a very solid work plan can take what's there and flesh it out to be much better, even with minimal work and investment compared to something like a full-on new mission (like "Citadel"'s DLC).

So, yeah, I would pay them to redo Priority: Earth.

The fact that I'm buying Xenoblade: Definitive Edition and it comes with the 20+ hour Future Connected epilogue might be making me spoiled.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
Pretty low tbh...I hope they surprise me.
The first game needs some work beyond a graphical upgrade if it's going to sit comfortably in a trilogy re-release,as far as I'm concerned.

Gusy

Oct 27, 2017
LET.. ME ... HOLSTER.. IN ... ME3.. That is all I ask besides the expected upres and bump in framerate.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
FF7R-style remake of ME1 where it's multiple games and the first game never leaves Eden Prime and the Reapers show up in the 30 minutes

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've got a few things on my wishlist.

-The game saving at the end of ME, so that the choices are locked in and you don't have to do the "memory test" at the start of ME2. They can keep the scene, but have the answers auto-select unseen based on what you did.

-Fix holstering in ME3. They didn't have enough memory to incorporate the animation in the model for action areas, so when you land somewhere in ME3, you always know if it's hostile or not because you see your character walking around while holding a gun. Not knowing if you were getting a story scene or an action scene in previous games upped the immersion.

-Fix the character creator so that imported models look the same across all three games.

I think those would be the biggest QOL changes that go beyond just upping the textures.

Oct 25, 2017
Remake Baby!

Probably not possible since it's 3 games, but all the DLC and better graphics. I've still never played 3 so wouldn't mind doing the whole thing over again.

cb1115

Oct 25, 2017
i'd like to see all three games ported to UE4 with PBR rendering and whatnot

will probably just be a resolution/fps bump with some new textures here and there though

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
If they just do a basic up-scaling job I will be extremely upset. This needs either the type of remaster we've just seen with Saints Row 3 or a remake in a better engine like we're gonna see with Mafia 1. You're rich as balls EA, use some of that money and resources you have and do the right thing, no excuses for skimping.

OP
OP
Vire

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They bother because tons of people still want a remaster. Even as someone who was initially let down by the ending myself, I've since gotten over it and I think a majority of players probably have as well. They're not going to siphon off the resources needed to change missions, change the script (that itself requires them to go back and make sure it doesn't break the rest of the script), record new VO, make all new cinematics and so on for an 8 year old game. I don't know any publisher that would.

Heck, that's not even taking into account if people would even like the hypothetical new ending or create an all-new controversy and headache for Bioware lol. Come on now.
Square Enix?

Smoolio

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
- Full remake, new engine level.
- Complete change of stupid "AI kill so u no make AI" BS back into the dark matter stuff
- (can save this reveal for ME4 that contextualizes 1-3)
- Change ME3 ending into one that leads into an upcoming ME4 continuing Shepard.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I definitely would like to see the graphics touched up. Everything on par with ME3 would be nice.
Aside from that i'm really just hoping for some QoL improvements for ME1. That's the game I want to see essentially get a full-on remaster, if we can only get one.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
I've said it many times before, but there's no way to remake the Trilogy without pissing off a healthy percentage of ME fans.

Just remaster that shit to 1080p60, fix as many bugs as possible, bundle all the DLC and call it a day. Let's get back to making new, interesting Mass Effect games. SOMEONE at Bioware has to be able to pick up where Karpyshyn left off.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
We ain't getting remakes y'all. EA only cares about re-releasing old games just enough to throw us a few bones. They don't really fit into EA's business model of getting people to buy microtransactions for all their new shit. Command & Conquer is a very unique case that I think is coming about because of the original developers, and is being specifically done for the PC audience.

If it makes things easier for EA, MAYBE they'll port all three games into Unreal 4, but from the perspective of the end user that's only gonna result in upgrading the rendering and lighting of the original assets.

Realistically, based on what they did with Burnout Paradise, I think the most EA'll put into it is better textures, on top of improved shadows, anti-aliasing, and anisotrophy. You'll get that at 60fps and higher resolutions with all the DLC. Based on EA's current policies you'll probably also finally get Mass Effect 3 on Steam.

FF7R-style remake of ME1 where it's multiple games and the first game never leaves Eden Prime and the Reapers show up in the 30 minutes
I'd prefer part 1 end when you leave the Citadel. That's ripe for a Midgar-style expansion.
Do folks think that 4k and 60fps is possible? For Mass Effect 1-3 on PS5 and X ?
It's probably possible on Xbox One X.

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
1 million years after the original trilogy. Humanity is extinct, you are an alien picking up the pieces, with a new existential threat.

Megamind.

Nov 18, 2019
The first one needs a gameplay overhaul. Hopefully we can get improved textures, vastly improved lighting in all games. All dlc is included

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
I've said it many times before, but there's no way to remake the Trilogy without pissing off a healthy percentage of ME fans.

Just remaster that shit to 1080p60, fix as many bugs as possible, bundle all the DLC and call it a day. Let's get back to making new, interesting Mass Effect games. SOMEONE at Bioware has to be able to pick up where Karpyshyn left off.

I think redoing the combat of ME 1 at least would satisfy a lot of people.

Also I think no matter who makes a new Mass Effect game, as long as EA is involved there are going to be issues, I feel like EA stifles creativity.

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
I'd love a next-gen 1080p120 re-release with all the DLC baked in. I'm a simple man, that's good enough for me.

GameChanger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A Mass Effect remake would be awesome. And I am talking about a full remake here. Here is what I would want from the remake if they ever do it.

• Made in Unreal 5 engine or Frostbite. Unreal 5 engine would be preferred since Frostbite games release with a lot of bugs.
  • Completely reworked combat, movement and third person angle. It would be nice if we have a third person angle showing the full body like we saw in the unreal engine 5 gameplay demo. The gunplay has to be updated to modern standards. And the movement should be fluid with a proper animations for getting into cover and jumping over cover.
  • Add classes and gameplay mechanics from Mass Effect 2 but update them.
  • Reworked Mako and with more planets to explore and story related side missions this time around. Mako should be made into a combat vehicle.

Midee

Oct 27, 2017
CA, USA
Doesn't the UE3 license have to be renewed to release a new product? (Let's be real, there's no chance they're gonna port it to UE4)

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nope, it seems it's too much work for EA.
- Full remake, new engine level.
- Complete change of stupid "AI kill so u no make AI" BS back into the dark matter stuff
- (can save this reveal for ME4 that contextualizes 1-3)
- Change ME3 ending into one that leads into an upcoming ME4 continuing Shepard.
Honestly if you truly feel you deserve a remake and you clearly want it to lead to new games then why would you even want it to just be a ME3 rewrite? The logical thing to do at that point is just completely rewrite ME1 so that the franchise doesn't begin with a threat that the galaxy has no hope of defeating.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Honestly if you truly feel you deserve a remake and you clearly want it to lead to new games then why would you even want it to just be a ME3 rewrite? The logical thing to do at that point is just completely rewrite ME1 so that the franchise doesn't begin with a threat that the galaxy has no hope of defeating.

Did you quote me by mistake? I don't see how any of that relate to what I said.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Perhaps this is too high of an expectation (note that it's the PC ver. on the left side unmodded & operating at a far higher resolution than what is was on consoles)-

39ckHZ4.png

BlkVSC6.png

hilkjy9.png

IIvEfYb.png

Fe0JIQm.png

xGfSent.png

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
I've been playing through ME:A the last couple of days (and actually enjoying it a lot?), and I would love if a remake of the first trilogy would get the combat of Andromeda, feels so good.

Teddy

Oct 26, 2017
With regards to changing Mass Effects ending, can we not just take a page from the indoctrination theory and have the Destroy ending happen with its extra Shepard cutscene (where he breaks out f the rubble), then have a new extra mission straight after this where Shepard has a big boss fight with the Reapers. This would set up Mass Effect 4 where the Geth aren't destroyed and the Mass Effect relays aren't ruined.

I think realistically to make the remaster worth while financially it needs to set up Mass Effect 4 (which can only happen with retconning Mass Effect 3).

FisherTea

May 24, 2020
Honestly, I get the impression that this won't be a significant remaster beyond a higher resolution/framerate. There is no way they are going to restructure the story if that is the case. If this happens to be more of a remake than a remaster though, maybe they would at least redo Priority: Earth in Mass Effect 3.

The best I'm hoping for is having all the dlc and collectors edition stuff included in one package.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I don't have any expectations but what I would like is a rework of the ME 3 ending to run with the Indoctrination Theory, ending fixed.

ravnelis

Prophet of Regret
Jan 1, 2018
Remake of ME1 + Remasters of ME 2 & 3.

New, good ending for ME3 teasing a new mainline ME, please?

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
It's weird,but having just fininshed Jedi Fallen Order it's actually given me a bit more hope for Mass Effect trllogy......if EA can ok a game like Jedi Fallen Order,which is a strictly single player no mtx game then perhaps they will put some effort into the trilogy because they must know how beloved the franchise is and Jedi Fallen Order sold very well.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Low expectations would be wise. This is the world of EA and we're all just living in it.

I'd honestly be happy with upressing everything. Maybe making some minor gameplay adjustments to ME1, that game has aged so poorly.

It's weird,but having just fininshed Jedi Fallen Order it's actually given me a bit more hope for Mass Effect trllogy......if EA can ok a game like Jedi Fallen Order,which is a strictly single player no mtx game then perhaps they will put some effort into the trilogy because they must know how beloved the franchise is and Jedi Fallen Order sold very well.
Fallen Order was so good but it's a pretty tiny game (in scope) compared to Mass Effect. It's also got the strength of the Star Wars license behind it.