Oct 27, 2017
Ireland
Since my kindle paperwhite arrived on monday, I read through two books in two days, One of Our Thursdays is Missing and The Rithmatist. I started The Woman in White, and I will get back to it, but right now I'm reading Smoke and Summons by Charlie N. Holmberg.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA

Recreate

Sep 16, 2021
Currently reading Oathbringer by Brandon Sanderson..roughly 300 pages to go. Loving it but think I'll take a break from Sanderson after this one.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
About 25% into the first Mistborn book and it's a solid 3 out of 5. Not bad, not great, similar to Elantris in that regard. Emperor's Soul is still the best thing I've read from Sanderson thus far, which is a shame because it's a novella that most people will skip. I'm looking forward to reading the Way of Kings series at a later point though, as it's his most popular I think.

The Count of Monte Cristo with a modern translation by Robin Buss seems to be 99p on amazon UK this month. Found this book and its translation a great help when I was getting back into reading a few years ago as an adult. The idea that I could specifically look for translations of classic literature that had a focus on readability for a modern English reader was a big help to me in reading older books in translation.

Thanks for the heads up on this, it's been on my wish list for a while. Never read the tale, and have heard good things about that translation.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Just finished Project Hail Mary and it's probably the most fun I had while reading a book ever. It's just an absolute joy and it reads like a movie. I never finished a book that quickly and I'm honestly quite sad about it, lol.

But I've got Dune coming in tomorrow and I'm excited about it. Loved the movie and can't wait to delve more into the world.

OP
OP
Jag

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Finished
23437156._SX318_.jpg

Started

40701780._SY475_.jpg

OP
OP
Jag

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
How was the Six of Crows book? Any high/low points?

Better than the first Grisha Trilogy. I watched the show first, so I already liked the Dregs crew from that. Much less feeling like YA and more heist/gentlemen thief vibe which is always good. The characters all have a little Mary Sue in them, but so do most of the fantasy books I read, so it's fine if that doesn't bother you.

Pacing is pretty much on point the entire way through. No big highs or lows. Picked up a bit in the end which is why I was up until after 1am finishing it last night.

Would have gone directly to the next book, but Abercrombie awaits.

WFZksoI.jpg

After a while where I was struggling to find time for reading, I finished Maggie O'Farrell's historical novel about Shakespeare's wife Anne (or Agnes, as this calls her, based on her father's will) and family. This is known simply as Hamnet in most countries, but Canada had a different tack, for whatever reason. O'Farrell's prose is memorable. The characterization hits a few modern cliches (did you know that Agnes was a healer who had visions?), but on the whole I liked it. Fictional depictions of the Shakespeare marriage often proceed on the basis that theirs was a shotgun union and/or a very distant one, neither of which is necessarily so based on the record, and O'Farrell comes up with a fairly nuanced depiction of how things might have been between them considering he ended up living decades primarily away from home and what might have been the reasons for it.

Now I'm 30 pages into The Wisdom of Crowds.

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Is the US version of Way of Kings too "bulky" to read comfortably in bed? I could also buy the UK edition which is smaller but it's split.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
345299.jpg

Finished Midnight Tides, fifth in Malazan book of the fallen. Probably my second favorite after Deadhouse Gates. This was definitely the easiest bookto follow to this point in the series. It feels very contained in that it's largely two empires heading to war, but focused on two sets of three brothers. I think this would have been my favorite in the series entirely but there was a large section in part 3 and the beginning of part 4, where some POV's were new, or small details came about randomly that I just struggled to care and keep going. Took my about a week to finally pick up the last chapter, but I was glad when I finally did.

Every time I explain my reading experience with this series it feels like an abusive relationship.

RedshirtRig

Nov 14, 2017
Currently reading The Shining Girls by Lauren Beukes. Only about 50 pages in, but I am already intrigued to see how the whole plot comes together.

Last read was The Road by Cormac McCarthy. Probably the 4th time I have read the book and always finding some new detail, or just something I plum forgot about.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Currently reading The Shining Girls by Lauren Beukes. Only about 50 pages in, but I am already intrigued to see how the whole plot comes together.

Last read was The Road by Cormac McCarthy. Probably the 4th time I have read the book and always finding some new detail, or just something I canned peaches forgot about.
that's better

nrtn

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Just started God Emperor of Dune, but I think I'm a little burned out after reading the first three books in a row.

nrtn

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Herbert's writing style works best if you take breaks.
Yes, that's the feeling I'm getting. Like, I'm really curious to see where the story is going, but his writing rhytm is not working for me right now.

I think I'm gonna pick something else for now. I might start the Count of Monte Cristo again, since I've never finished it.

orlock

Oct 28, 2017
I'm reading Shelley Parker-Chan's retelling of the rise of the founding Ming emperor, She Who Became The Sun:

56337632._SY475_.jpg

i just finished this and really really liked it! i had a hard time getting started with it, but ultimately was totally consumed by it and ended up blasting through it at work last week.

eisschollee

Oct 25, 2018
I finally found a book with 'Jade City' which I read in a couple of days. It was a nice change of place , people and story.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Finished reading this today which is probably one of my favourite books I've read this year. It's presented like a true crime novel, but it's all fiction.

9781529372373.jpg

Gaucho Power

alt account
Banned
Feb 10, 2021
I have been reading some short stories by Thomas Bernhard and Haruki Murakami's Wild Sheep Chase. I think the short stories by Bernhard were written early on his career or maybe they just didn't have the same bite as his novels. I think Amras was the best story out of the three. But I think for me to fully understand the story I would need to re-read it but I seriously have no desire to wade through the story again.

Wild Sheep Chase was ok. Murakami is clearly finding his voice in this novel and the usual tropes are here to see, but overall there isn't much going on. Ranks fairly low on my Murakami chart.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
35271523.jpg

Ok, I'm halfway through Senlin Ascends and while I'm liking the writing and prose, the actual plot and world aren't doing it for me. I think it's mostly that everything so far seems kind of throw away. Will I get the deeper look at the tower that I want or will it mostly be just kind of throwaway whimsey? When Senline went from the second Ringdom to the third, I was kind of infinitely annoyed. I feel like a whole ring of the tower being a roleplaying floor where everyone who enters is an actor is very intriguing, but then it just bulldozes through and moves on. Also thought the fire keeping was going to play in to the fact that the baths are right about it and it was some elaborate plan to heat the baths or something along those lines, but it just moves on.

The way every character Senlin has come in contact with is just sort of thrown away and both the first two tower levels have barely been remarked on has just left me not interested. Will I get the more in depth story I'm hoping for or is it just fun whimsey all built on Senlin finding his wife?

Xagarath

Oct 28, 2017
North-East England
35271523.jpg

Ok, I'm halfway through Senlin Ascends and while I'm liking the writing and prose, the actual plot and world aren't doing it for me. I think it's mostly that everything so far seems kind of throw away. Will I get the deeper look at the tower that I want or will it mostly be just kind of throwaway whimsey? When Senline went from the second Ringdom to the third, I was kind of infinitely annoyed. I feel like a whole ring of the tower being a roleplaying floor where everyone who enters is an actor is very intriguing, but then it just bulldozes through and moves on. Also thought the fire keeping was going to play in to the fact that the baths are right about it and it was some elaborate plan to heat the baths or something along those lines, but it just moves on.

The way every character Senlin has come in contact with is just sort of thrown away and both the first two tower levels have barely been remarked on has just left me not interested. Will I get the more in depth story I'm hoping for or is it just fun whimsey all built on Senlin finding his wife?
It definitely doesn't stay as fun whimsy - things get much darker and weirder over the course of the books, and most of the characters do recur.

OP
OP
Jag

Jag

Oct 26, 2017

I've read all the books up until now and they are pretty much the same. Entertaining but not much depth. Think they are a first time writer too and it kind of shows. Still, the concept is interesting and fun.

Oct 27, 2017
Ireland
While I was in hospital since friday, I got good use out of my kindle paperwhite, and read through two books. The Last Human by Zack Jordan and The Stars are Legion by Kameron Hurley. I found them enjoyable and interesting enough, they're ok, but I was bored in hospital.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
It definitely doesn't stay as fun whimsy - things get much darker and weirder over the course of the books, and most of the characters do recur.

I can definitely see it getting darker, it already has in some ways. I was more just wondering if we'd actually get in to the weeds on the tower itself. If we'd get to understand the why's and how's of it.

I've read all the books up until now and they are pretty much the same. Entertaining but not much depth. Think they are a first time writer too and it kind of shows. Still, the concept is interesting and fun.

I'll definitely finish this book, cause like I said I'm really digging the writing and prose itself. It's just the lingering questions I want to know more about is just clouding my enjoyment. I'll see where this first book goes and go from there.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Just finished Project Hail Mary:

54493401.jpg

It was pretty good. I would give it a 3.5/5. I enjoyed it and it really pulled me in which is a good feeling to have after trying and failing to get into the second Dune book over and over for months. I think Im going to leave the Dune series behind and just accept that maybe its not for me. The first book was okay but its not nearly as enjoyable as some of this other stuff I have read. I really want to expand my genres though. Its been all Sci Fi so far and I want to try some fantasy stuff perhaps but I don't really know where to start. Im excited though.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
56269205.jpg

About 100 pages into Empire of the Vampire by Jay Kristoff. Would recommend so far. Feels like a mix of The Witcher, Bloodborne and Castlevania. Vampire story in a fantasy setting.

Weegian

Oct 27, 2017
Man, the Culture series is amazing. Such a cool concept. I've been burning through the novels over the past few months. Just finished up Inversions.

The mad man wrote a Culture novel without even writing about the Culture!

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
41APFyBYaTL.jpg

This was great, it was an extremely entertaining listen. Beginning is a little tough if you are not familiar with the Iliad because he's introducing a lot of different characters and origins, however it all comes together at the end. He also ends the book with two sections called Myth and Reality which does a fantastic job of explaining everything.

Gaucho Power

alt account
Banned
Feb 10, 2021
Memory Police (Yōko Ogawa). I wasn't expecting slice of life set in dystopian surveillance state when I picked up this book. It was odd that basically everything about the premise of the story goes unexplained. But I still liked the story and despite heavy theme it made very pleasant read.

pantsattack

Oct 25, 2017
I read though the first two Murderbot Diaries, and will continue the series. Really enjoy the wit and awkwardness mixed with the super spy-like systems hacking. I really hope ART makes a return later. These make me laugh out loud decently often.

PUxo45y.jpg

Joe Abercrombie concludes the "Age of Madness" sequel trilogy to "The First Law", tidily delivered over the span of two years (take note, GRRM!). If the original trilogy was fairly standard historical Medieval fantasy, the sequel trilogy from the outset built on occasional hints in the standalone books of a new age of technological advancement, taking things into more of a late 18th century setting. And in this case, that includes Abercrombie's own version of the French Revolution. The standard take on the French Revolution depicts an idealistic new era gradually descending into ideological tyranny and later counterrevolution, and that template is largely adhered to here, but since this is Abercrombie the idealistic beginnings are barely there to begin with (the early meetings of the revolutionary assembly are mostly satirical depictions of ineptitude). It's not too long before Abercrombie's own version of Madame Defarge is running things, all the while our various POV characters struggle for survival, advancement, etc.

I've long thought that this sequel trilogy was in dialogue with many aspects of the original, and that becomes particularly apparent in how this wraps up, which strikes a fine balance between showing some patterns repeating themselves but also some things actually moving forward in ways that the ending of the original trilogy made a firm point of quashing. For instance, the first item on Savine's agenda is the tax reform that Jezal briefly suggested at the end of the first trilogy only to have it quashed by Bayaz. This was a much more magic-light trilogy than its predecessor, but based on the final vision that will definitely not be the case for the next trilogy, whenever Abercrombie gets around to writing it. A lot of the key twists in this are ones that longtime readers had guessed based on the first two books, but it's largely well-executed, and there are at least two turns that I didn't see coming.

Pizza Dog

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Project Hail Mary is today's Audible deal of the day (at least in the UK) and a steal at £2.99. I picked it up despite having read the book as Ray Porter is the narrator and he does a great job on the Bobiverse books, I've heard he's similarly good here.

Just recently finished reading the first in the Bryant and May series, Full Dark House, which i had seen recommended somewhere. Gosh that felt like a slog. Not sure if it was a change in my habits, a long read generally (I read on Kindle these days so never really know how how long the book is) or I just wasn't feeling it but it took me over a month to get through. I've heard later books are better but I'm not sure I want to give them a go just yet. It was fine but not really gripping. Started reading The Final Girl Support Group as something a little fluffier to perk up my reading routine again.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finished Constance by Matthew Fitzsimmons. It was ok. I was expecting the author to dwell deeper into speculative fiction, but he is very constrained and barely scratches the surface of cloning implications and the sci fi setting. The story does pick up in the last 1/4, but by then it was too late to make this a great book. And I didn't care for any of the characters. Also some very cringe-inducing analogies.

pantsattack

Oct 25, 2017
Finished Constance by Matthew Fitzsimmons. It was ok. I was expecting the author to dwell deeper into speculative fiction, but he is very constrained and barely scratches the surface of cloning implications and the sci fi setting. The story does pick up in the last 1/4, but by then it was too late to make this a great book. And I didn't care for any of the characters. Also some very cringe-inducing analogies.
Too bad to hear this. I picked up Constance from Prime.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
49578655._SX318_.jpg

Among the better light novels I've read. The very naturalistic and witty wording and flow of the translated prose did much to make up for the usual hallmarks of a Japanese web-novel (extremely short chapters that often seem closer to a transcription of a manga or anime, narration or characters who bluntly state their life circumstances or situations instead of creatively depicting them, etc) while the essential humour and characteristics of the main cast shone through.

I still think it works better in manga form - the book is written extremely visually and certain things like jumping back and forth between inner thoughts, outer presentation, different points of view and different timelines entirely work a lot better in concert with the visual storytelling - but the book itself is fun, and just when you think it's entirely just anime otome tropes it'll hit you around the head with some suprisingly profound insight about human nature or market economics or whatever. A good read.

(Reviewed on Goodreads)

I'm still slogging through some Jane Jacobs about cities which is very interesting but also just a challenge to get through, since it's entirely focused on city planning but was written in like 1969... also have Antony and Cleopatra by Colleen McCullough on the side, but that's also another barnstopper and I might want to read something a little lighter again first.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
56597885.jpg
I finished this today which I guess I did enjoy because it kept me captivated even though it doesn't have much of a plot, at all. I think I just enjoy reading about the complicated love lives of millenials.

If you enjoyed Normal People then you'll probably get on with this as they're very similar. I'm starting to think Rooney might be a little overrated, but she has her own unique style so I'll give her that.

There are moments of pure nonsense in this book where the two lead female characters are emailing each other about things that are quite boring and pretentious and I'm not at all convinced friends would ever email about in real life.

hassamnasir

Sep 10, 2021
GUEST_36de4294-c5be-4984-be61-a4ba494c3dc4
Just started this. Only a couple of pages through atm, so can't say anything other than it's going in the right direction for now.

Btw, I'm pretty new to ResetEra (just got my account approved a week ago), so can anyone tell me how to create my own threads on this platform? I can't seem to find any option for doing that. Sorry for the off-topic question.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
GUEST_36de4294-c5be-4984-be61-a4ba494c3dc4
Just started this. Only a couple of pages through atm, so can't say anything other than it's going in the right direction for now.

Btw, I'm pretty new to ResetEra (just got my account approved a week ago), so can anyone tell me how to create my own threads on this platform? I can't seem to find any option for doing that. Sorry for the off-topic question.

Right at the very top of the page in the purple banner where it says "etcetc forum" there should be a box saying post thread