FolderBrad

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like AAA titles are going to get delayed, and since I rely on Gamefly for my new games, I won't be getting FF7 Remake either (they didn't get their copies).

Looking for a really really good indie game from this year that not enough people are talking about. Like Supraland from last year. Or CrossCode from the year before.

Anything so secretly good right now, you are shocked more people aren't talking about it?

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
BallisticNG is amazing if you like the PS1 WipEout games!

Chivalry

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Nov 22, 2018
Sayonara Wild Hearts. It's like 90 minutes long, but damn it's good.

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
In Other Waters just came out. A trance of a game about loneliness, solitude, and the unknown, with a really lovely interface.

Puru

Oct 28, 2017
Maiden & Spell
store.steampowered.com

Maiden and Spell on Steam

Maiden & Spell is a magical girl battle game, set in a cutesy fantasy world. Select from one of eight young ladies to battle 1 on 1 with a friend, or fight your way through a series of bosses and learn the secrets of The Kingdom of Stars.

Last edited:

dirtyjane

Oct 27, 2017
store.steampowered.com

Tiny and Big: Grandpa's Leftovers on Steam

You are Tiny, a nerdy inventor, who tries to reclaim his most beloved possession - Grandpa's underpants!

This isnt that recent but secretly the second best Puzzle-Adventure Game you will ever play.

store.steampowered.com

Snake Pass on Steam

Slither, coil and climb your way to the top of Haven Tor in this one of a kind physics based, puzzle platform adventure from award winning independent studio Sumo Digital!

Also Snake Pass, the second best Collectathon out there.

store.steampowered.com

The Pedestrian on Steam

I can see the signs in my sleep now, always guiding me closer. Will this really work? Have we almost achieved the impossible?

Also Also The Pedestrian!

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I was going to come and recommend Supraland. Glad to see you've already got that covered. One of the best and most overlooked games of 2019.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom is one of the better metroidvania's I've played so you should consider that one! Looks and plays great, has excellent music, and there's a fun puzzle element that you don't see in the genre too often. Doesn't get enough love.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Not from this year but these ones come to mind.

store.steampowered.com

Star Fetchers on Steam

The introduction to a wild ride with gangsters and deep state conspiracy theories

store.steampowered.com

Record of Lodoss War-Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth- on Steam

A 2D Metroidvania-style game developed under the supervision of Ryo Mizuno, depicting the story of Deedlit and the events leading up to Record of Lodoss War: Diadem of the Covenant. Use a variety of weapons and spirit powers to unravel the mystery of the labyrinth.

store.steampowered.com

SYNTHETIK: Legion Rising on Steam

SYNTHETIK is an unforgiving tactical shooter rogue-lite where freedom and experimentation is key. Fight in a world overrun by the Machine Legion and their Gods. Experience the next level in gun-play and dive into unparalleled build options and Android upgrades. Can you defeat the Heart of...

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Steamworld Quest doesn't get enough love. It's by far the best of the Steamworld series.

UnderHero is the best Mario RPG we've gotten since TTYD in 2004.

Last edited:

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
efheader2.jpg

Play EXIT FATE, it's a spiritual successor to Suikoden and one of my favorite games of all time.

Dev's Website, where you can download it for free!

It's also free on Android too, so check it out on the go.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
I believe all of the following games are on all three consoles and PC.

EUYlC0tVAAcaqvz

Underhero is really something special and underlooked, with its charming and offbeat story and dialogue, unique environments and awesome Paper Mario-style combat with its own unique spin. It's on all platforms.

Unofficial OT:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/un...ailer-now-officially-the-unoffical-ot.167457/

Gifsteam11.jpg

Splasher is a masterclass in 2D level design and comes from a Rayman Legends level designer. It's an absolutely incredible 2D platformer that mixes aspects of what I loved about Retro's DK games and the modern Rayman games, especially Origins.

My LTTP:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/lt...e-played-since-dktf-and-rayman-origins.20206/

wuppo_screenshot_hd1ddkr8.png

Wuppo is a delightful, unusual Metroidvania with a focus on exploration, legitimately hilarious dialogue and unique setpieces. It feels like the spiritual successor to Super Paper Mario.

My LTTP:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/wu...-in-years-on-sale-for-99-cents-on-psn.109731/

fkK0291.png

I also immensely enjoyed Yoku's Island Express with its pinball and Metroidvania hybrid, and this on is in Xbox Game Pass (console, not sure if it's on PC Game Pass) so you can play it for free if you have that. Super enjoyable world to explore, beautiful and charming art style, and pinball movement mechanics that surprised me in how engaging they were as a non-pinball fan.

Someone's LTTP which sold me on the game:

www.resetera.com

LTTP: Yoku's Island Express | It Really Does 'Deliver'!

Platforms: PS4, XB1, PC, Switch | Genre: Metroidvania/Pinball | RRP: $20/£16 | Hours Played: 12 Hours | Version Played: Switch (Physical) Pinball and Metroidvania, not exactly something you’d expect to gel together well. Which is exactly what I thought when I originally read up about it, but...

Last edited:

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Dunno about recent stuff, but La-Mulana remake is the best game ever.

Valdis Story is pretty great too, or Castle in the Darkness.

Lonely Mountain: Downhill (also on Game Pass)

You're welcome.

I remember releasing 2 bike downhill games on game pass in the same week. The one i played was really cool but i'm not sure if it's this or the other one :p

Really great game btw.

Last edited:

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
store.steampowered.com

Tiny and Big: Grandpa's Leftovers on Steam

You are Tiny, a nerdy inventor, who tries to reclaim his most beloved possession - Grandpa's underpants!

This isnt that recent but secretly the second best Puzzle-Adventure Game you will ever play.

store.steampowered.com

Snake Pass on Steam

Slither, coil and climb your way to the top of Haven Tor in this one of a kind physics based, puzzle platform adventure from award winning independent studio Sumo Digital!

Also Snake Pass, the second best Collectathon out there.

store.steampowered.com

The Pedestrian on Steam

I can see the signs in my sleep now, always guiding me closer. Will this really work? Have we almost achieved the impossible?

Also Also The Pedestrian!
What are the best puzzle adventure and collectathon? ^^

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
Also it's sort of a "mainstream" indie game by this point but if you've not played Enter the Gungeon by now you're missing out severely. I went into it hating rogue likes as a genre and came out with every achievement and 300 hours played. It's a real labor of love, and full of fun and lighthearted references to everything from Doom to Destiny to MGS. Tons of secrets, tons of challenges, immense amount of content, can't recommend it enough.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Caves of Qud. The OT on this site has 3 responses, but it's one of those games where it's systems on top of systems and nearly anything can happen. It's incredibly, and incredibly hard to wrap my head around. It's an RPG with nearly infinite possibility it feels like. If you're going to try it out, I suggest turning off permadeath. I possessed a fish and then couldn't get out of the water and forgot how to cancel the spell, and the fish had, well, fish stats so i got instakilled by something.

Caves_of_Qud_header.jpg

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Slay the Spire is only getting better with the fairly recent addition of the 4th character on consoles. Dozens of hours here easily if you like that sorta thing.

ThisOne

Oct 27, 2017
Roundguard recently released but I haven't heard much talk about it. It's basically a Peggle rogue-lite.

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I fell off it, but Blasphemous is a really cool melee combat metroidvania that a lot of people missed. It got a lot of Dark Souls comparisons because the aesthetic is brutal and Catholic, but it's definitely it's own thing.

JamesQuall

Oct 27, 2017
Gifsteam11.jpg

Splasher is a masterclass in 2D level design and comes from a Rayman Legends level designer. It's an absolutely incredible 2D platformer that mixes aspects of what I loved about Retro's DK games and the modern Rayman games, especially Origins.

My LTTP:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/lt...e-played-since-dktf-and-rayman-origins.20206/

Came here to post this after picking it up the other day. It's really excellent and even as someone who actively follows most indie stuff, I had no idea it existed. It's under $5 bucks on the US eShop right now and if you have any interest in platformers it's a must have.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
From this year, FolderBrad?
Kentucky Route Zero

In Other Waters just came out. A trance of a game about loneliness, solitude, and the unknown, with a really lovely interface.
Heard great things about this, gotta check it out.

Also need to start Ori and the Will Of The Wisps, Lair Of The Clockwork God, and Luna The Shadow Dust, One Step From Eden, and The Pedestrian.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
I sincerely think The Swapper is still the best indie-puzzler ever. Absolutely brilliant game.

PersianPrince

Feb 12, 2019
Hyperlight Drifter is the best indie. Everyone should play it.

But as for more underrated hidden gems? Minit and Gato Robato are highly underrated and need more love. Strangely enough they both have the same art style.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Grapple Force Rena. It's a love letter to Mischief Makers, but with magic grappling hooks.

toythatkills

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
Would it be safe to assume that there's been no decent indie games this year, since that's what the OP asked for and almost everyone is posting old stuff?

There must be new games, surely.

PersianPrince

Feb 12, 2019
I don't know if Minit is hidden, but it was my favorite game of 2018. 3 hours of distilled classic Zelda adventure with so much charm and earnestness.

I suppose, but it deserves more recognition than it currently has because I agree, it's an amazing 3 hour experience. I would probably put it somewhere on a list of top 25 indies ever.

Mosaica

May 22, 2019
Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight is a pretty nice Metroidvania. The spritework is especially good.