• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will the PS5 have PS1 backwards compatibility?

• Likely

Votes: 124 13.3%
  • Unlikely

Votes: 810 86.7%

• Total voters

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea
If they supported PS3 PSX purchases, I'd be there for PS5 day one. I have quite a catalog of games built up over the years.

If they shut down PSN on PS3 and offer no forward support... I'll be looking into backing up those games through other means.

Not all games on PS4 require trophy support.
How many & when? It was required for all ps2 rereleases iirc

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
They will add trophies and sell you the ancient games for 15-20€. That's how things work nowadays. Fucking Episode 1: Podracer is coming to PS4 :'-D

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
Unfortunately until Sony tells us they want to embrace "full" backwards compatibility (I'll give them somewhat of a pass for PS3), I'm not going to get my hopes up for PS1/PS2. Hopefully I'm wrong. Now, a reasonable alternative would be those games are added to PSNow to beef up the value proposition, but unless it's a large percentage of those libraries I think such a move would end up angering people. But who knows?

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Poll needs more options. Pretty sure it's something Sony is thinking about, but also pretty sure it won't be available at launch at least.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
Those have bad input lag, I'm told. The PS3 port of TJ&E doesn't have any AFAIK and it has extra challenge modes and stuff.
I never noticed, but I have never played them on the original hardware.

It had online co-op and a fantastic selection of video settings (I still think the SVC collections have the most beatiful CRT mode I've seen in 1080p).

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Unfortunately the dream is most likely dead. Hopefully we can get them through PS Now eventually.

holoqh

Oct 1, 2019
Internet
....you can play FFVII on a PS4 right now
yeah, I already developped the point I was trying to make in earlier posts cause my dumb a** wasn't clear enough. I meant not making it available on ps5, assuming a certain strategy from sony and publishers etc...
I'm aware that the short and easy answer is "they'll do it if they think it can bring in enough money, and enough is an arbitrary amount".

Tttssd1972

May 24, 2019
I would love if this was an option on PS5. I have a PS2 with 4 PS1 games I would love to get rid of, but until I have another option I'll need to hold on to em.