Brix

Oct 25, 2017
Two good games. They are in my top 50. Worth the ride most definitely.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
1: Kind of aged poorly but still worth playing if you like JRPGs and can get the PSP version.
2: Bomb ass games. IS is a little too easy but worth playing for everything else. EP is amazing all around.

I would say it's the adult party members that sets EP apart from the rest of the Persona games, for me at least, as I can relate more to those characters than high school kids, and it subsequently made the story felt more mature, and the setting more refreshing. I also think EP dealt with occult themes really, really well. While the latter games deal with dark elements, EP has even more disturbing and creepy elements to it that I liked.
Well said.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think they're very good. Combat is boring, dungeon exploration is boring, and demon negotiation is completely tedious.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I never understand this viewpoint because I played the PS1 fan translation of P2:IS a few years ago and had a blast playing it. Didn't feel tedious at all. Are people just not used to old RPGs? I really don't remember it being any different from the usual at that time as far as the amount of battles goes. Is this an issue exclusive to the PSP remake? I bought it but didn't get around to playing it.

Amazing story though.

Not sure if my experience is representative, but it boils down to this for me: Persona 1 on PSP lets you speed up battles quite a bit, and after a while demon negotiation ceases to be a requirement because you're so overpowered that you can destroy entire dungeons with a single spell almost until the end of the game.

Innocent Sin PSP doesn't really have any speed-up options, so every battle you have to go through all the animations. Demon negotiation takes way longer in Innocent Sin versus P1P, and arguably you have to do it for longer in that game than P1. Other mechanics added to the battle system are kind of neat but also prolong battles, like fusion attacks. And in general I think Innocent Sin is just a longer game. All of those things make it more of a slog to get through, even though the story and characters are a lot better.

It's possible that without the experience of P1P, I would've been in a more charitable mindset.

Something else that sucks: there's no official or fan translation for Eternal Punishment PSP, and I'm very reluctant to start the original PS1 version because of the translation differences and the worry that it'll be even more tedious than Innocent Sin.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Still among the best games in the series. The soundtrack in particular is masterful, especially Persona 1. The connections between Persona 1 and 2 also makes it a joy to follow through and see characters evolving

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, I managed to finish Persona 3 but couldn't handle Persona 2 IS until the end because of its encounter rate and because its combat system is so slow, dull and tedious. Rarely seen a JRPG with such a dreadful battle system, it's just so boring.

Agree to disagree then. I played both games for the first time this year and I'll absolutely play IS again way before I ever touch P3.

I think the major issue is just the combat systems in those games are just so radically different. Random encounters vs not, once more vs grids vs standard. There is enough variance to make one stand out as bad while the other one can be tolerable. Tartarus is long and samey, but personally I think its way more enjoyable because of the systems it has. 1 actually doesnt have a bad system, I think 2 is the only real bad one.

Again, agree to disagree. I thought Tartarus was a boring slog that dragged P3 down completely and it's the main reason why I won't replay it anytime soon. I do agree that IS's gameplay at times can be slow and monotonous but I just straight up don't agree with the thinking that P3 also doesn't have slow and monotonous gameplay at times.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I love them! They are tough to play now though.

What final party member did people pick in 1? I think I waited for Chris (or whatever his name was) but restarted and went with the pigtails girl. It's been a while.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
Not sure if my experience is representative, but it boils down to this for me: Persona 1 on PSP lets you speed up battles quite a bit, and after a while demon negotiation ceases to be a requirement because you're so overpowered that you can destroy entire dungeons with a single spell almost until the end of the game.

Innocent Sin PSP doesn't really have any speed-up options, so every battle you have to go through all the animations. Demon negotiation takes way longer in Innocent Sin versus P1P, and arguably you have to do it for longer in that game than P1. Other mechanics added to the battle system are kind of neat but also prolong battles, like fusion attacks. And in general I think Innocent Sin is just a longer game. All of those things make it more of a slog to get through, even though the story and characters are a lot better.

It's possible that without the experience of P1P, I would've been in a more charitable mindset.

Something else that sucks: there's no official or fan translation for Eternal Punishment PSP, and I'm very reluctant to start the original PS1 version because of the translation differences and the worry that it'll be even more tedious than Innocent Sin.
Encounter rate is lower, animations are fast because it's not a ps1 port and the translation is fine afaik, if you played through all of 2, EP is a breeze... also the auto battle options are better. Don't bother with map sidequests and you'll be fine

If IS had a lower encounter rate and animation skipping the game would be neat, i liked the negotiations because i could skip battles i'd definitely die in because of low hp/sp so the novelty kept me playing since i hadnt played 1

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Encounter rate is lower, animations are fast because it's not a ps1 port and the translation is fine afaik, if you played through all of 2, EP is a breeze... also the auto battle options are better

If IS had a lower encounter rate and animation skipping the game would be neat, i liked the negotiations because i could skip battles i'd definitely die in because of low hp/sp so the novelty kept me playing since i hadnt played 1

Oh, I'm sure the translation is fine as a standalone thing, I mean more that a whole bunch of names have apparently changed and I don't really want to have to figure out what names in EP map to which people/places in IS. Interesting that the PS1 version might actually be less clunky that P2P:IS, though, not sure I believe it but it's the first time anyone's even mentioned the possibility so I'm intrigued.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
In my humble opinion...

Persona 1
  • First-Person view dungeon crawling. Don't like it.
  • Turn-based battle system. These days, too long and slow; the PSP version faster speed doesn't that fast either.
  • Talking to demons/enemies are amusing at first, but tedious later.
  • Random encounter. HIGH random encounter rate.
  • LONG & FREQUENT LOADING TIMES (PS1 version).
  • Americanized PS1 version or faihfull localization PSP version with some/different music tracks.
  • Music is decent. I wish PSP have options to choose original OST as well...
  • Story is between average to above-average.
Persona 2 Innocent Sin & Eternal Punishment
  • Negotiating to demons/enemies also improved with character combinations. But still tedious later...
  • OK OST I guess.
  • Rumor system is OK.
  • Able to convert data from IS to EP (still Japanese exclusive though...).
  • Improved art-style, art-direction, and graphics.
  • More improved battle system; fusion spells, faster animations.
  • THIRD PERSON VIEW IN DUNGEONS.
  • Improved loading times.
  • SAVE ALMOST ANYWHERE.
  • Best Persona storyline from the beginning of Innocent Sin to the climax of Eternal Punishment.
  • Persona 1 cameos.
  • More playable adult characters in Eternal Punishment, and they're awesome.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018

Thanks for the input! That's really odd that they'd put speed options in the P1 port but not the IS port.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the input! That's really odd that they'd put speed options in the P1 port but not the IS port.

I can't remember if it's literally no speed-up options, or if the options they had in the game were just insufficient. Either way, yeah, it kinda sucked.

The brutal part is that apparently Eternal Punishment PSP fixes this by giving you several animation speed-up options, including a hyper-fast option that cuts the animations altogether. But then, of course, we never got that version in the west, so...

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
They're okay, but tedious in a lot fo ways. Definitely show their age when played from a modern perspective. I won't replay them, but I'll look at the concept art and occasionally watch the psp opening movies

I'd be down for P6 and future games to take a page from 1 and 2's darker, weirder tone and merge that with the style they've figured out for 3-5. Some older party members like in P2:EP would be good too. Just to mix things up.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Agree to disagree then. I played both games for the first time this year and I'll absolutely play IS again way before I ever touch P3.

Again, agree to disagree. I thought Tartarus was a boring slog that dragged P3 down completely and it's the main reason why I won't replay it anytime soon. I do agree that IS's gameplay at times can be slow and monotonous but I just straight up don't agree with the thinking that P3 also doesn't have slow and monotonous gameplay at times.
No random encounters alone makes P3-5 better IMO.

I'l glad take Tartarus over being forced to deal with P2's tedious combat and Demon Negotiation.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
P2's gameplay is boring but people who think P1 plays badly are mistaken on a fundamental level.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
P2's gameplay is boring but people who think P1 plays badly are mistaken on a fundamental level.
I played and beat Persona 1.

90% of my time was spent was"damage everything magic and then heal" and unlike P3-5 the flow of combat was not enjoyable to me.

I think I rearranged my party formation once and then never had to do it again.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
Oh, I'm sure the translation is fine as a standalone thing, I mean more that a whole bunch of names have apparently changed and I don't really want to have to figure out what names in EP map to which people/places in IS. Interesting that the PS1 version might actually be less clunky that P2P:IS, though, not sure I believe it but it's the first time anyone's even mentioned the possibility so I'm intrigued.
Namewise, IS and EP use the american localization so it's not that bad iirc, unless psp persona 1 changed them back to japanese...at least i managed to keep up with the story
Im not sure if the clunkyness is an IS thing or a Psp one, but im pretty sure the encounter rate in both EPs is lower than in IS and the auto battle menu order is swapped so you can do things faster.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I played and beat Persona 1.

90% of my time was spent was"damage everything magic and then heal" and unlike P3-5 the flow of combat was not enjoyable to me.

I think I rearranged my party formation once and then never had to do it again.

The "flow of combat" in P3-5 is the most safe junk food JRPG combat you could possibly get. Exploit weakness for big damage while your friends sit around patting you on the back. It's Press Turn with none of the nuance.

I'll take P1 any day.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The "flow of combat" in P3-5 is the most safe junk food JRPG combat you could possibly get. Exploit weakness for big damage while your friends sit around patting you on the back. It's Press Turn with none of the nuance.

I'll take P1 any day.
I'll take the one I think is actually fun thanks. Considering how long the P1 combat system lasted I'm gonna take a bet that I'm not in the minority here.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Namewise, IS and EP use the american localization so it's not that bad iirc, at least i managed to keep up with the story
Im not sure if the clunkyness is an IS thing or a Psp one, but im pretty sure the encounter rate in both EPs is lower than in IS and the auto battle menu order is swapped so you can do things faster,

Innocent Sin PSP updated the translation to match the re-translation for P1P, which removed all the changes made to set the game in America instead of Japan. Eternal Punishment PS1 uses the original Americanized translation. There's a chart explaining the various name differences from when the PS1 version got re-released: https://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/02/25/persona-2-eternal-punishment-hits-psn-tomorrow/

The issue is less going from IS to EP in general, and more specifically going from the PSP version of IS to the original version of EP.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Namewise, IS and EP use the american localization so it's not that bad iirc, unless psp persona 1 changed them back to japanese...at least i managed to keep up with the story
Im not sure if the clunkyness is an IS thing or a Psp one, but im pretty sure the encounter rate in both EPs is lower than in IS and the auto battle menu order is swapped so you can do things faster.
PSP uses the Japanese names.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll take the one I think is actually fun thanks. Considering how long the P1 combat system lasted I'm gonna take a bet that I'm not in the minority here.

Just because P1 tried something a little deeper than constant immediate catharsis doesn't make it bad. It was experimental.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's the reception to P1's combat that makes JRPGs all about ridiculous spectacle nowadays.

Were you ever challenged at any point in P5? Ever at all? I don't mean "this boss has a lot of HP" I mean any point where you actually had to think up a strategy to deal with your opponent.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's the reception to P1's combat that makes JRPGs all about ridiculous spectacle nowadays.

Were you ever challenged at any point in P5? Ever at all? I don't mean "this boss has a lot of HP" I mean any point where you actually had to think up a strategy to deal with your opponent.
More challenge then I ever had in Persona 1 that's for sure. At least in most P5 encounters I need to take time to find the best spell/skill to use.

I wasn't kidding when I said 90% of my playtime of P1 was spamming Magryva. I don't think I had anything resembling a challenge until the last dungeon whereas there were several fights I almost lost in P5.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I've tried innocent sin(psp version) multiple times at this point and I just cant stick with it. Characters and story seem pretty interesting but everything related to the gameplay is just not good at all imo.

Summoning new personas with the stupid tarot system is so unintuitive and overly complicated.

Battles are slow and boring and, at least from the few hours I played, braindead easy. Literally just spam fusion spells any chance you get and watch things just get obliterated.

Encounter rate is also such, such garbage. Every five steps leads you into another slow, ridiculously easy encounter. I think I usually drop the game once you get thrown into sole kind of poison cave as this is where my biggest issues with the game are just put in front of the spotlight so much.

I really want to like this game, but I fear the only way I'll get through it will be playing with cheats to get rid of encounters/be max level or whatever or just waiting for a hopeful remake in the future.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
More challenge then I ever had in Persona 1 that's for sure. At least in most P5 encounters I need to take time to find the best spell/skill to use.

I wasn't kidding when I said 90% of my playtime of P1 was spamming Magryva. I don't think I had anything resembling a challenge until the last dungeon whereas there were several fights I almost lost in P5.

"Finding the the best spell to use" isn't strategy. It's picking an option out of a list.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still more strategy then I ever used in Persona 1 so I guess it still wins.

Don't know what to tell you fam, but my P1 playthrough was nothing of the sort, and I constantly switched up my loadouts to deal with new situations.

Congrats on lucking your way into the one surefire solution to P1, but let's not kid ourselves that P5 is anything but babby easy.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't know what to tell you fam, but my P1 playthrough was nothing of the sort, and I constantly switched up my loadouts to deal with new situations.

Congrats on lucking your way into the one surefire solution to P1, but let's not kid ourselves that P5 is anything but babby easy.
Persona 1 is not hard. Like at all. It's easily the easiest Persona game I've played. Frankly it's the easiest MegaTen related game I've played.

Deleted member 56909

User requested account closure
Banned
May 21, 2019
underwater
As a huge p2 mark it absolutely is and also factors into why specific things are the way they are in 3-5 onwards. There's alot of plot in there too and you get some crazy shit and learn how badly the team fucks up in 2is. You learn alot about Uncle Phil and why he's bairly in 3-5 and why all the villians of 4-5 are jobbers compared to 1-3. It's like really important reading material to enjoy the franchise alot more. But 3-5 were written in such a way to be standalone and the extra stuff from the last few games just adds to it more than anything. As far as one goes it's not that great of a game and matters alot less than the p2 dualogy.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Both I really enjoyed.

Though I enjoyed persona 1 more so.

I clocked 100 hours on P1 while on P2 I clocked 60 hours.

P2 is great but its divided between two games - to be honest I enjoyed the battle system in the first game more and also the monster variety.

The story was unique for P1 and P2's story was great too, the concept of what rumors do and what occurs is great.

I wish they would remake both under the same style as P3 and P4 - keep the music, story, characters ,etc as is.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There is literally no challenge in P5. You just like it because it's designed to be cathartic. That's how games like that get you.
Or maybe I like it because I like and there's no grand conspiracy? Persona 5 is not the hardest game I've ever played but I also played it on normal.

I frankly don't care if you think it's easy but don't start spouting crap about how the game "gets me."

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Their worlds and atmosphere are unparalleled even within the MegaTen franchise as a whole and I love all of the characters. P1's original PS1 soundtrack is one of the best too, essentially being Silent Hill meets Eurodance.

P2 has a lot of interesting parallels to P5 as well. It is so worth checking out the way the P2 duo handles similar themes and characters.

They are dated in a lot of ways but not in terms of lgbtq+ representation, where they're light years ahead of p3-5(which is pretty worrysome )

I think P2IS has easily the best persona story and cast, and it's themes are VERY relevant to current days, honestly, that story aged really well, dealing with rumours/fake news to a point where p5failed... the gameplay is a bit of a chore in terms of getting the personas but the maps were pretty good and there was a lot to explore, p2 ES has the whole "i want persona but with adults!" That the p3+ fanbase keeps crying for, and it's also great overall

Still gotta play 1, but i know there's some srpg shenanigans going on with battle positioning and stuff
Definitely not light years considering the—albeit avoidable—transphobic joke NPCs, but still a huge step above thanks to Jun.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think you typo'd P2, easy mistake to make, it's only a number difference.

P2:IS just actually legitimately sucks as a game, sadly. It only has a cult classic status due to its story and characters.

P5 apart from being about a bunch of high school cliches battling the Shitty Adults, is also about as mindlessly easy as RPGs get.

Oct 25, 2017
P2:IS just actually legitimately sucks as a game, sadly. It only has a cult classic status due to its story and characters.

P5 apart from being about a bunch of high school cliches battling the Shitty Adults, is also about as mindlessly easy as RPGs get.

P5 on hard is about the same as the PS2 era megaten games, it only breaks down in the last few dungeons. As JRPGs go it's nowhere near close to the easiest in the genre.

Jun 24, 2019
I haven't played Persona 1 yet, but I played Persona 2 Innocent Sin PSP and Eternal Punishment PSX.

I would highly recommend Persona 2 duology if you love the occult, cosmic horror, mythology, heavy psychological narratives, conspiracies and sci-fi madness. The story can be cryptic at some times, so I do recommend talking to characters to get the gist.

As for game-play, you'd need to have a strong mental fortitude and patience to tank those bloody encounter rates and pitfalls. Besides those implications, I don't think much is of a concern.

I must be the only one who likes the combat system.
  • The fusion spells are fun to play with, you can get experimental with them
  • Contact system, humorous and charming. You either love it or hate it.
  • A lot of strategy. IS is easier so I recommend being slightly under-levelled to experience a good challenge. EP is like playing chess, but with magical ghosties and demons. The bosses can be unpredictable, so you have to be on your toes, which is a good thing, because it gets you rolling.
I genuinely love Persona 2, because the game opened my eyes to many directions. It pushed me to explore old RPGs and appreciate old games more. Now I am having a blast with old SNES games.

Last edited:

Discoalucard

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
Echoing the same P1=meh, P2=amazing story/characters, tedious everything else sentiments.

P2's battle system is a slog but the folks here saying that P1's grid-based nonsense was good, actually, is one of the top 10 most insane things I've read on these forums.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Persona 1 is not hard. Like at all.

SEBEC isnt. Snow Queen is. Hell, Snow Queen is hard enough to even initiate, let alone play through
Considering P1 a single thing is wrong when both routes are so distinct

Echoing the same P1=meh, P2=amazing story/characters, tedious everything else sentiments.

P2's battle system is a slog but the folks here saying that P1's grid-based nonsense was good, actually, is one of the top 10 most insane things I've read on these forums.

I don't think the combat in P1 is good. It was just not bad enough to the point of annoying me, and it had plenty of tools to make it a non nuisance specially on the psp version. The right persona with max affinity and area wide nukes and you'd never have to care about formation or inputs again save for the rare monster that reflects/absorb your attack

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
People should learn more about abuse Estoma, Fusion spells and befriend demons to finish battle without have to fight a lot (and get free cards) in their lives.

And I consider Ulala Serizawa one of the best characters in any media.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
SEBEC isnt. Snow Queen is. Hell, Snow Queen is hard enough to even initiate, let alone play through
Considering P1 a single thing is wrong when both routes are so distinct

I don't think the combat in P1 is good. It was just not bad enough to the point of annoying me, and it had plenty of tools to make it a non nuisance specially on the psp version. The right persona with max affinity and area wide nukes and you'd never have to care about formation or inputs again save for the rare monster that reflects/absorb your attack
Sorry by the time I beat SEBEC I was to bored to bother with Snow Queen when I saw they want you to do this shit on a time limit.

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
It's either persona 1 or 2 where I spent an hour going through a dungeon. Got to the end. Then the game told me to do it all over again by warning me to the beginning.

That's when I stopped playing.

Though I wish Persona would go back to these darker themes and settings.