• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
After recently watching The Promised Neverland - What are the best Gateway Anime?. For those who don't know - Gateway Anime are Anime that can be used to introduce people to Anime. Personally i think Promised Neverland works quite well as a gateway anime but what are your picks?

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Cowboy Bebop (english dub)
Code Geass (english dub)
Death Note (english dub)

^ These three are the absolute GOATs for introducing someone to anime

Other good ones include:

Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Steins;Gate
Gurren Lagann
Attack on Titan

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
mmmm that first post.

Cowboy Bebop is a must. Granted I don't watch anime much at all

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
It's really Cowboy Bebop. Easily digestible installments with a cast of likable characters, leading us to a banger of a finale.

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely The Promised Neverland and Mob Psycho 100.

Those 2 anime got 7 of my friends into anime, and those anime are pretty recent.

Deleted member 3925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cowboy Bebop/Samurai Champloo, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Attack on Titan, Mob Psycho 100, My Hero Academia, among others.

Ghibli films are a great introduction too.

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
My Hero academia
One Punch Man
The Promised Neverland
A Place further than the universe

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Dragonball Z
Death Note
One Punch Man
Naruto
Attack on Titan

Pretty much any mainstream anime.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Depends on the audience in all honesty. If you're trying to introduce someone to comedy anime then One Punch Man is the safest possible bet. If you are trying to hook someone up on more dramatic and action driven show FMA:Brotherhood or Cowboy Bebop

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
lol don't say Miyazaki movies. That just made me love those and think other anime was trash in comparison.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the answer is generally either some of the better shonen series, or things like Ghibli or Hosoda movies.

If they want something slower/less action-focused, there are other movies or short series they could check out but that feels like less of an actual gateway to seeing more than just that. Which is fine too.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
Cowboy Bebop is a great choice, for more recent stuff, Promised Neverland is a great pick and so is One Punch Man. I also noticed a lot of non-anime-watching friends getting quite hyped over Attack on Titan.

RangerBAD

Oct 25, 2017
I think there are gateway anime for just about any genre. So it really depends on the person.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
More recent-ish stuff off the top of the dome:

One Punch Man
Mob Psycho 100
Attack on Titan
From the New World
The Promised Neverland

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Studio Ghibli films, and maybe something from Satoshi Kon like Perfect Blue or Millennium Actress. Maybe even Hellsing.

Just don't make the same mistake I did and introduce someone using Evangelion. It was when I first met my wife, and she's into religious studies, so I thought she'd get a kick out of all the symbolism. Nah, it just made her absolutely hate anything anime.

psynergyadept

Shinra Employee
Oct 26, 2017
Cowboy Bebop
Samuria Champloo
Dragonball
My Hero Academia
Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood
Mob Psycho 100

Though Dragonball/MHA/FMA:B don't fit the bill but try to have them watch short season/series first; like 12-26 episodes first.

Also any Studio Ghilbi film or Your Name; the latter one has really convinced some of my friends that anime isn't just for kids and can have compelling stories.

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018
Besides the obvious I will say any time I put on case closed on my normal friends like the whole self contained mystery thing

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Dragon Ball Z. One Piece.

The "high class" stuff most people talk about when they recommend anime is horrible as "gateway" stuff. It creates a false representation, so what happens is they exhaust the few things that are like that then swear every other anime is garbage. That's not a gateway lol Better to show them something a wide variety of people love, so they understand anime isn't just all prestige stuff--that's an unrealistic expectation.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The "high class" stuff most people talk about when they recommend anime is horrible as "gateway" stuff. It creates a false representation, so what happens is they exhaust the few things that are like that then swear every other anime is garbage. That's not a gateway lol Better to show them something a wide variety of people love, so they understand anime isn't just all prestige stuff--that's an unrealistic expectation.

One piece is a terrible anime to introduce anyone to at least Dragon Ball has Kai .

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Death Note, short and good.

But most people are introduced with long shonens like Naruto, One Piece, Dragon Ball, etc.

Deleted member 48205

Banned
Sep 30, 2018
Neon Genesis Evangelion was the one for me
Probably not a good starting point though, starting out with the best one will make everything else look like shit

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
DBZ
Fullmetal
My Hero

First one is the gold standard for anime in the west. Fullmetal is short and has more in common with a show like Avatar imo since it all flows well from beat to beat and feels self contained. My Hero has superheros which people can understand easily.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood was what get me really interest in anime again. It's just a fantastic show.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017

How do you even begin to recommend One piece to someone who has never seen anime before?

"The first 160 hours are pretty good world-building, but it really kicks up a notch around episode 475!"

DBZ is much more digestible, but even now I would recommend Kai or the Abridged series to newcomers.