KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

Sure it's pretty easy to win, but the surprise alone and the fact it's actually Puyo puts it high on the list.

Sturm

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To me all the bosses of bloodborne seemed incredible to me. And a great majority of Dark Souls III.

kaytee

Oct 28, 2017
USA
I actually found the Nier Automata boss in the OP frustrating. Despite great music and a cool premise, the perspective switches just made it not fun for me. I don't like feeling like I can't see.

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DJ Octavio from Splatoon 1 imo.
splatoon-dj-octavio-boss-fight-071917.png

Even while i watched that fight online and knew about it when i first played Splatoon this year i was still amazed.

I especially love the last part when that Squid Sister song kicks in that is just surreal and amazing. The gameplay and heck it was actually quite difficult for the first time it gets quite bullet hell like.

Anyway this boss fight and the one in Splatoon 2 is one of the many reasons why i want a Squid Sisters tattoo. I actually have a shirt with Octavio on it too or well his octopus logo.

I liked his fight in Splatoon 2 too (especially the music and presentation) but honestly 1 is easily still the best gameplay wise. It was hella creative and refreshing too imo.

Oct 26, 2017
Bloodborne - Ludwig the Accursed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPP1e7hOyik - A video summary of the Boss fight.

Holy F-ing Shit, this boss fight! The intensity and the challenge of the fight is unmatched. The first phase of the fight, the great Ludwig is nothing but a crazed, flailing beast and my god, is he a difficult bastard to fight. After about 20-30 death, you final manage to get him to half health and then its cuts away to a cinematic.

My god... The goosebumps... (3:00 mark)

Completely different fight style and the music becomes grand and swelling, as Ludwig remembers who he is as he stands upright and proud. Also he pulls out the Moonlight fucking Greatsword!!!! Such a amazing transition.

In my opinion, the only reason people say Maria is better, is because she's more anime.

Mathi

Oct 25, 2017
Bloodborne had the most amazing bosses. Apart from those already mentioned, I really liked the Blood-starved Beast. Took me longer to kill than any other boss in the game, excluding the dlc and chalice dungeons. And like most Bloodborne bosses it looks absolutely terrifying.

latest

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
As expected, this thread is all Bloodborne and DS3. Y'all done good.

Nameless King may be my favorite of the bunch.

stat84

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
All the bosses that were already mentioned from BB amd DS3

I can add Midir,Slave Knight Gael and Sister Friede from the DS 3 DLC

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood - The Naadam

Not really a 'boss' per se, but probably the most well designed and fun-to-undertake solo combat instance they've put together in the game.
It's a really satisfying end to the arc of the best area in the expansion.

Honorable Mentions:
DS3 - Midir
PSO2 - Phaleg Ives
Nioh - Yuki-Onna

Last edited:

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
I'll throw my hat in with Sister Friede from the first DS3 DLC. I love the progression from form to form, as well as the fakeout before the finale. It looks and sounds amazing, and it's also one of the harder, best playing bosses in the entire series. I love everything about it.

Slave Knight Gael is up there, too. He's also one of the more enjoyable coop bosses; I've probably killed him dozens of times by now.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
Nothing tops Bloodborne bosses this gen followed by some Bayonetta and Nioh bosses

Gehrman is the best boss this gen period imo

tumblr_nqoub2aQUl1unxlj8o2_500.gif

The location, the atmosphere, the music and his movesets and animations are simply gaming perfection

Anyone has a gif of his high jump attack?

Masked Lumen from bayo 2 is also fantastic(the first encounter especially)

DevilPuncher

"This guy are sick" and Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
abyss-watchers-dks3.jpg

I have yet to beat a souls game, so I might not have the most well-versed opinion on the bosses, but I found the Abyss Watchers to be fairly challenging and incredibly interesting in terms of mechanics and flavor. Sure, Fromsoft have done boss fights with multiple baddies before, but none of them have ever fought each other. It really subverts your expectations right off the bat, and the second phase of the fight is also a real treat. Also, their armor is just fucking rad. Super memorable stuff.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Phil Spencer.

/s

Bloodborne's Blood-Starved Beast gets my vote as well. It was way more agile than I expected and took me a decent amount of time to beat.

LightEntite

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Final Fantasy XV -- Final Boss (one of them)
abe469e30469bbef8004981c65f205db49a19114_00.gif

The music that plays during this fight....jesus. Also helps that it's probably the best designed boss fight in the game.

Bloodborne had too many to count. Vicar Amelia and Blood Starved Beast come to mind.

Nier Automata, the opera boss. Around that time I was beginning to realize how awesome the game was.

OP
OP

Deleted member 419

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just to put in perspective the completely dominance From Software has in terms of designing memorable boss fights, here's a rough sketch of how often the top games have been mentioned so far:

NieR: Automata. 5 mentions.
Yakuza 0. 5 mentions.
Dark Souls III. 19 mentions.
BloodBorne. 32 mentions.

Everything else currently has 3 or less.

Ludwig is also the most-mentioned so far.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Dark Souls III has the best dragon boss of any game I've ever played.

Darkeater Midir

357.jpg

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Glad Nioh, BB, and D3 are getting the praise they deserve.

Nothing can compare to Soul of Cinder though. Made me tear up the first time I played.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Murine Corp and not Sally Stageplay? Whatchu doin?

Im with Woozies on this,
Sally Stageplay
was a great boss in a game that is all about boss battles, the part where
She becomes a Final Fantasy boss complete with the name of her spells appearing in tiny boxes and the fact that the spells themselves were maneuvered by stage hands
was down right the funniest moment in the entire game.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I consider BotW the best game of all time (yeah, seriously), but none of its actual bosses deserve to be in any "best boss" list; not just of this generation, but of this year, and I'd have to look up what games released that same month.
Unless you count Lynels as bosses, then you may be onto something...

You could probably just list ten bosses from Bloodborne

Martyr Logarius is pretty great

Pretty much, although Hollow Knight and Transformers Devastation also has amazing bosses. Dark Souls III is in my backlog and I don't even own Nier Automata yet, though.

Wait, does "this generation" include Wii U? Throw in The Wonderful 101 too if so.

Scarface

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Bloodborne - Ludwig the Accursed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPP1e7hOyik - A video summary of the Boss fight.

Holy F-ing Shit, this boss fight! The intensity and the challenge of the fight is unmatched. The first phase of the fight, the great Ludwig is nothing but a crazed, flailing beast and my god, is he a difficult bastard to fight. After about 20-30 death, you final manage to get him to half health and then its cuts away to a cinematic.

My god... The goosebumps... (3:00 mark)

Completely different fight style and the music becomes grand and swelling, as Ludwig remembers who he is as he stands upright and proud. Also he pulls out the Moonlight fucking Greatsword!!!! Such a amazing transition.

In my opinion, the only reason people say Maria is better, is because she's more anime.

came in hoping to see this. wasnt disappointed.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Ludwig is disqualified because of the annoying screams. Living Failures meteor summon makes that boss better.

OP
OP

Deleted member 419

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Surprised there haven't been that many Hollow Knight mentions so far. I felt like its bosses got a lot of hype. Really looking forward to playing it.