• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
Even more than the Supernatural one in this thread, I'd argue that scene from Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back isn't a fourth wall break at all. Them filming the next Scream is very much in-world in the fiction of the movie.

They are on the Miramax set, but that is in-world. The characters never acknowledge or realize they are in the movie Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back.

But that movie does have a 4th wall break! It's just not that scene. It's this one:

(It's at 2:38)

Deleted member 1656

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
No, it isn't. They break the 4th wall in the game but they do it in a much more clever way than that.
OK. If a work feels like it's attempting to address me, it constitutes a fourth wall break imo. There are other moments where the game does break the fourth wall as well, and I would also say that some of those moments are more clever, but I'm pretty sure this moment contributes to that subtext.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
OK. If a work feels like it's attempting to address me, it constitutes a fourth wall break imo. There are other moments where the game does break the fourth wall as well, and I would also say that some of those moments are more clever, but I'm pretty sure this moment contributes to that subtext.

Okay. I think that's a valid take. I understand what you're saying.

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
The best ones are from video games.

(Metal Gear Solid 2)
MetalGearSolid2SonsOfLiberty_01_350_3446.png

Metal-Gear-Solid-2.jpg

(Eternal Darkness)
Eternal+Darkness+Controller+Unplugged.JPG
I miss Metal Gear Solid. :(

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
funny games has a few of these but the "rewind" scene is pretty cool

terrible film otherwise

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just going to say a lot of you don't know what "breaking the 4th wall" actually means.

Just because a scene may be meta or self-referential doesn't mean it's braking the 4th wall.

Stantastic

Oct 25, 2017
This thread convinced me to read through Grant Morrisons whole Animal man run.
holy shit at those last few issues.
i was thinking that the "i can see you" moment posted in here was going to be the final page but damn it went so much farther.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
This thread convinced me to read through Grant Morrisons whole Animal man run.
holy shit at those last few issues.
i was thinking that the "i can see you" moment posted in here was going to be the final page but damn it went so much farther.

I read it recently and it's a legitimate classic. Some real crazy things happen.

DukeMiffy

May 15, 2018

Matt Smith's regeneration monologue.
Breaks my heart every time. He wrote parts of it himself and was largely the actor's goodbye to both the part and the audience.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm shocked that no one has posted this one, to this day it blows my mind

magical_maestro_6980.png