• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

YellowBara

Oct 26, 2017
People say this about Dragon Quest 7 and I can totally understand why. It's literal hours of dialogue, walking back and forth between areas and not a single bit of combat the entire time.

The PSX version especially since it ties in some puzzles to solve before you get to the first parts of the game with combat, and even then the combat stays fairly basic until awhile in (20-30hours) when you unlock class changing. I'd put it around 3-5 hours before you fight your first slime which is a BIG ask for some people. I loved it and it set the tone well, but it leaves a pretty bad impression if you're not into slow burn intros.

Freshmaker

Oct 28, 2017
I am probably playing this game wrong, i never use the super shotgun. My enjoyment of the game has been mediocre as well, its probably me not flowing through the levels fluently.

I just run and gun, flamethrower and nade and switch weapons when i run out of ammo.
The game's combat loop is using the chiansaw to keep that ammo fed and glory killing things for life.

Desma

Oct 27, 2017
Megaman X5

X5 finally added my most wanted feature: The game finally stops every 5 seconds just to givr me some bullshit tutorial! /s

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Ugh Twilight Princess makes you do so many chores before you can even enter the first dungeon. The game is great in the end but I'm so glad that era is behind us. Skyward Sword didn't help either.

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Justice for All.

A game with a lot of flak, which I feel is misappropriated rather than undeserved. By which I mean a lot of the hate for the third case should be redirected towards the first. A slog to go through, with the worst excuse for a tutorial I've seen (Phoenix gets hit with a fire extinguisher and somehow has amnesia, but it's also very temporary) with a stupid motive for a killer and it's just an all-round awful time. Especially if it's your first time through the trilogy, going through the heights of the fourth and fifth cases in the first game to probably the worst in the series must be awful.

Game makes up for it otherwise, though.

I agree with this - the awfulness of JFA's first case is surprisingly not discussed much. Like the third case is still probably worse just because of how long it is but the first case is really miserable too.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
Not a massive fan of Liberty Island in Deus Ex. Feels visually boring, and far too open compared to how dense some later parts of that game can get.
Textbook answer. It gets a bit better in the end but it sells the game so so badly. I swear, even the AI is worse in that level.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
Nier Automata. The opening gets as much criticism as the entire game gets praise.
I dunno. I feel like while the opening of Nier Automata isn't as fun to play as the rest of the game, it is INCREDIBLY important to the overall theme and tone of the game.

I'm torn on it.

touchfuzzy

Banned
Jul 27, 2019
The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles recently is pretty bad -- as in, I've played the game for 15 hours and am 3/4 of the way through it and it still feels like an opening tutorial, we haven't even investigated a real case yet.

Telamon

Banned
May 25, 2020
I consider it one of the best games ever, and it's not technically a level, but for a game that allows you so much freedom, I'm always put off restarting BOTW due to having to complete the Great Plateau again.

It was really fun the first time, but I wish there was an option to just get straight to the paraglider on replays.

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
I am probably playing this game wrong, i never use the super shotgun. My enjoyment of the game has been mediocre as well, its probably me not flowing through the levels fluently.

I just run and gun, flamethrower and nade and switch weapons when i run out of ammo.

Super shotgun (well, the meathook on the super shotgun) is what changes up the flow of combat, and to a huge degree. Watch some videos of people using it, I barely scratch the surface of how awesome it is in my playing.

Apr 3, 2020
Resident Evil 7

linear and scripted, I'm glad the game open up after that and revealed to be using same classic games layout.

In a way, definitely was the most horrifying and scary thing in the game.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Kid Icarus (NES). Most people never make it past the first stage, after which the game gets significantly better

Tali'Zorah

Oct 27, 2017
Norfolk, UK
I really didn't enjoy the opening to Wolfenstein: The New Order. Luckily once you jump forward into the 60s the game gets a hell of a lot better

Nov 5, 2017
Kingdom Hearts II's opening is a great idea on paper, but the execution can't help tripping over itself. The section is WAY too long and none of the characters are interesting or compelling at all -- yes, Roxas included.

I couldn't wait for his summer vacation to end.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Codename STEAM's opening level is boring, incredibly hard, and lacks all the wackiness the rest of the game excels on. It might be the main reason the game bombed so hard (that and the long enemy turns).

I really enjoyed KH2's opening when I first played it, but were I to ever play again I'd want to skip it to just get to the Sora stuff abd Disney worlds.

Oct 27, 2017
recently tried replaying Final Fantasy XIII and holy fucking shit that first area is awful, and you spend so much time there

Many

Sep 17, 2018
The one from the Snes Back to the Future 3. You start as doc Brown in a horse at 100 km/h and die in 3 seconds because you don't know what to do

Nov 17, 2017
Seems mean to pick it but Shadow the Hedgehog's Westopolis stage. The way the game's "morality" system works doesn't vibe with the stage design. If you do the Hero or Villain mission, you will spend a ton of time inching around the stage to kill enemies of the opposite faction because you can't miss a single one.

The neutral mission has you just reach the goal at the end of the stage but the goal ring is blocking a ramp that takes you to a small section where the last few enemies are. It's very easy to see the goal ring and think "oh I missed some enemies" I have to turn around. But the whole game is poorly designed - this just sticks out cause you have to play the stage 10 times to beat the game.

KH2 and Twilight Princess. It's like they never want you to play the game again.
For a long adventure game, I think these kind of openings are great. People are way too addicted to instant gratification, stimulation and action right off the bat. I like a slow burn that takes time to establish a setting, characters and mood for the adventure to start off on. If it's a shorter game with like an actual level based progression, I definitely like a quick start but not for RPGs and adventure games.