Topic

• The best way to play the games

Votes: 167 75.2%
  • There are better versions of these games out there

Votes: 55 24.8%

• Total voters
Apr 19, 2018
I'd be willing to try it. Know what consoles are supposedly fixed?

Got a source on this? Been looking and can't find that it fixed judder

I picked up FF5 PR on Switch back in August, and..... the judder really isn't much improved at all. At least, for someone like myself who's ultra sensitive to framerate fluctuations, it simply isn't good enough to call it fixed.

Equally disappointing with the Switch version -- and something I'm really surprised isn't talked about more -- is traversing menus feels palpably stickier and less snappy compared to the ultra quick responsiveness of its Steam counterpart. Not sure if this is indicative of ALL the Pixel Remasters on console, but the lag is particularly disappointing for such a menu-heavy affair like FF5; the delayed input feels downright cumbersome when swapping between Jobs, Abilities, and equipment.

Last edited:

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
The GBA content for these isn't worth enduring the shit resolution and audio quality that comes with those versions. I'd legitimately take the mobile versions over those. The ones before the pixel remasters. Seriously.

The pixel remasters are definitely THE way to play these games these days.

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
Would really appreciate a second run of the Switch version.

Other than that, the music alone makes them worth it to me.

Also, it would be nice if we had the QoL stuff in the PC versions.

Laephis

Jun 25, 2021
These games won't be worth it until Square Enix:
  1. Fixes the studdering
  2. Adds a proper font that fits the rest of the art style
  3. Lowers the price
The fact that they tried to do 1 and 2 and still screwed it up is just pathetic.

Cali32

Oct 11, 2020
First post gets it right. Paid around €100 for my imported Switch physical copy. 😔

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Got a source on this? Been looking and can't find that it fixed judder

I'd be willing to try it. Know what consoles are supposedly fixed?

I did release a tool to attempt to fix it, but I think it's broken as of the latest updates and I didn't document for myself how I fixed it in the first place. =\

PS4 Update History, on August 28th.
I'm not at my console right now so I can't check the specific wording, but it's something like "fixed the stability of in game movement". The same update also changed it so that the auto battle icon only shows up when you're in auto battle mode, and not permanently during every fight.

As I said though, I can't tell if it's fixed it 100%, as I'm not that technically knowledgeable, but I can say that it's nowhere near as stuttery when I move Bartz diagonally on the world map.

Edit:
Update notes from my PS5 for FFV.
18b5759216716-screensfwchw.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
These games won't be worth it until Square Enix:
  1. Fixes the studdering
  2. Adds a proper font that fits the rest of the art style
  3. Lowers the price
The fact that they tried to do 1 and 2 and still screwed it up is just pathetic.

You have no chance of 1 minor chance or 2 and a semi decent chance of 3

Games are still great to me though. Had a blast with the ones I've finished

TheDutchSlayer

Did you find it? Cuez I didn't!
Oct 26, 2017
The Hauge, The Netherlands
I hate the fact that I can't pick them up normally physically for switch or PS4/5 would love to have them but Square only sold limit stock from their website and no normal retailers :(

Zippedpinhead

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
First off, I consider the 3D remakes entirely different games than their 2D versions. So FF3 (3D) and FF4 (3D) I don't and will not compare to the pixel remasters.

Now to answer the question, There are three games where I miss the extra content. I miss the extra content in FF1 and FF2, it really extends the gameplay for both and in FF2's case gives it a much better ending.

I also miss the extra content in FFV. Due to the extra jobs and end game dungeon. Gives you additional incentive to play and explore more.

However, all three of them play and look considerably better in the pixel remaster than in any release before.

The only game where I am actually torn between the PR for it and another 2D version is FF4.

The PSP version of 4 is incredible, some of my favorite sprites (both boss and player character) as well as great arrangements of the music. The gameplay and magic effects are also spectacular.

But the PR version of FF4 is good in a lot of ways too but I'm not sure it's better than PSP. I'm just not

Edit: FF3 has literally never been better than the PR. Considerably better game.

FF6 is great and the latest patches has helped the world map stutter considerably. It might be my favorite version now. I also didn't care for the "advance" extras, so not a big loss in my book. I feel the translation still allows for Goofy evil sadistic kefka Like the SNES translation without being stilted and too dry like the GBA version