• The best way to play the games

Votes: 167 75.2%
  • There are better versions of these games out there

Votes: 55 24.8%

• Total voters

Uncle at Nintendo

▲ Legend ▲
Jan 3, 2018
I'm doing a rerun of the games and bought them all on Steam. I do miss the extra content that the GBA games had for IV-VI. Sucks that they didn't go through the extra step.

Also SE put the fucking songs on music streaming services. I'm not paying $15 per soundtrack on iTunes

artsi

Oct 26, 2017
Finland
They need pixel fonts to match pixel graphics. All I'm asking for.

(I know they can be modded on PC but for consoles too)

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Best way to play them

Finished FF1, 2 and 3 (last week)

Started on 4

All on switch and will finish 5 and 6 before the end of the year

The remixed music, QoL improvements such as encounters off, detailed map, exp/Gil boosts and visual effects all make up for the lack of anniversary content of the GBA and psp versions

I got the games on Steam but hoping for a patch for the QoL boosts and encounters off

Will be getting them on ps in the future and hoping for a Xbox release

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They are fantastic, and that's even without considering the slew of mods available for them. They are the best way to experience the games for most people. There's really only a couple of exceptions for some of the more hardcore fans (FF1 PS1 probably has the best gameplay balance; FF4 DS has the best gameplay of all versions of the game).

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
I'm loving them but I'm a first-timer so 🤷‍♂️

Ran through 1-3 this year and I've got 4-6 lined up for 2024
They need pixel fonts to match pixel graphics. All I'm asking for.

(I know they can be modded on PC but for consoles too)
The PC mods can't be beat but the classic font they added for PS4/Switch is a notable improvement from the default

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
The music and quality of life changes make it my favorite way to play those games, personally.

They're not absolutely the best imaginable remasters of those games to me but they are still pretty well done IMO. And now that they're no longer mobile-only, I think it's super nice they're available on Switch and PS4/PS5.

EDIT: +1 on feeling like the pricing is just a bit too high myself, but alas, I did pay for them twice across my iPhone and my Switch so guess it's not that deep of a bother for me.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Are the Switch/PS4 versions still stuttery, or at least less stuttery than PC?

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
I just 100% completed them all over the last few months. I downloaded a different font to use (Mystic Quest) and it was fine. There are issues, but I liked the auto-battle/2x speed, reorchestrated soundtracks, and widescreen presentation. I liked VI using the GBA localization.

The extra content from other versions was not missed. By time I got the last achievement for each game, I was more than ready to move on to the next.

HeeHo

Oct 27, 2017
I'm loving them but I'm a first-timer so 🤷‍♂️

Ran through 1-3 this year and I've got 4-6 lined up for 2024

The PC mods can't be beat but the classic font they added for PS4/Switch is a notable improvement from the default
Same here. I played 1-3. First time playing 1 & 2. First time playing non-DS version of 3. I am at the beginning of 4, which I have never really played either.

They are super easy to play in terms of making a good amount of progress and jumping in/out of the game. The auto battle feature is really nice.

It's pretty easy to change the font by editing some games files too on Steam but even easier would be downloading the mods on the store page.

They get great battery life too on Steam deck if I remember correctly.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
Extremely good ways to play the games, especially on pc where you can mod the font to whatever you want. However I'm still waiting for the console updates to come to PC. I'm not sure why it's taking this long. Being able to switch back and forth between the original and remastered songs will make these the definitive editions. The only downside is the scrolling issue, but it can be mitigated on pc.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
they're fine. they could be better if they brought some of the changes from other versions, but as they are theyre perfectly fine ways to play the classics. if you change the weird fonts that is

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
I wish I could hide the mini-map in FF6 (there might be something I'm missing).

And the CRT filter is awful.

Otherwise FF6 seems good so far.

Forgiven Empathy

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
England
From the ones I've played it seems to be the better way, apart from maybe FFIV. FFIV 3D really added to the story for me, so I would suggest someone buy that version instead.

B-Komachi

Alt account
Banned
Sep 25, 2023
They're very good. They don't have to be the best, they have to be good enough for most, which they are

SpoonyGundam

Nov 18, 2018
I do not like them. The NES games all have fairly massive changes to balance and mechanics that I think generally just make the games worse. The SNES games aren't altered as much, but it's still enough that I'd just rather play the originals. And did last time I played them. There are enough QoL hacks and emulator features around that the overall experience is better there anyway.

My problem is less that they changed stuff, and more that the marketing kept pushing the idea that they were going to be extremely accurate to the original games and they just aren't. They're remakes, not remasters. Just listen to the new music on Youtube.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
The judder makes them shit. I tried to fix it but there's no way to solve it perfectly.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
It's my favorite way to play those games now. I generally didn't enjoy the bonus content from the GBA era.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
They look like they run at a poorly paced 30 fps, so if you don't care about that then they're fine. With PC mods you can mostly ameliorate this issue though it's not perfect.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
The Pixel Remasters are great, mind you some folks feel they are incomplete because they don't contain any of the extras from the GBA or PSP re-releases. Going by developer interviews they go over that these are intended to be based on the initial/original version release of the first 6 games with modern QoL, Widescreen for modern displays, and so forth.

There are some issues such as screen tearing when moving diagonally. They fixed the font issue in the console releases but it definitely could be better. All in all though these are excellent releases despite issues otherwise.

The new arrangements supervised by Uematsu are fantastic and the original sprite artist redid the original sprites faithful to her original source material displayed in thier proper scaling for 16:9 without stretching.

Definitely a worthwhile way to play the first 6 games.

Sangral