• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Routine

Trailers and blog posts had gone up in 2016-17 posting about its upcoming release and then nothing

From the last blog post in March 2017

We don't expect the delay to add more than a month or two and when we next update, we promise to finally give you a clear release date with a game that we are proud of

No word from the devs since

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Also I'd bet many Ubisoft projects got the boot or were significantly altered after the poor receptions to Division 2 and Breakpoint. Then can't keep making the same game again and again.

Oct 29, 2017
Pikmin 4. It was "close to release" back when during Wii U's lifecycle but nothing ever came of it. Not even a single screenshot or logo.

I'm sure Miyamoto's other projects from Wii U are shelved too like Project Giant Robot.

Project Giant Robot did actually see release. It became Labo Vol 2: Robot Kit.

Nintendo Labo is actually a series of previously cancelled Wii and Wii U prototypes. Vehicle Kit in particular is built from the cancelled Wii Motorbike prototype.

Grue

Sep 7, 2018
Pikmin 4. Didn't Miyamoto say it was basically done like months, maybe over a year back?

Edit - Oops, one post too late!

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
For everyone saying that WiLD is cancelled, Wild Sheep Studio were hiring for a tester and a 3D modeler two months ago:

Wild Sheep Studio

It's almost certainly a PS5 game.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
Pikmin 4. Didn't Miyamoto say it was basically done like months, maybe over a year back?

Edit - Oops, one post too late!
It was "almost complete" all the way back in 2015. Knowing that it was a brand new Wii U title developed by Nintendo, it probably had a bunch of dual screen gimmicks that wouldn't work on the Switch and needed redesigning. Although, it still should've surfaced by now.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Hold on, you are not supposed to play as actual Pirates in Skull & Bones?

Being a Pirate is the reason AC4 is still so beloved nowadays despite it not being the only AC with Naval combat.

How did Ubisoft miss the point so hard?

They didn't miss the point. The game wasn't supposed to be a successor to AC4 in the first place. It was supposed to be a ship combat PvP game and I don't think that has changed. Don't get your hopes up. I'm personally excited to play it.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
In the Valley of Gods and it hurts so much since I was really excited for it.

The writing was on the wall when they got bought by Valve really :/

Hold on, you are not supposed to play as actual Pirates in Skull & Bones?

Being a Pirate is the reason AC4 is still so beloved nowadays despite it not being the only AC with Naval combat.

How did Ubisoft miss the point so hard?
Because the exact same people will come around and criticize them for somehow making the same game over and over again.

Also I'd bet many Ubisoft projects got the boot or were significantly altered after the poor receptions to Division 2 and Breakpoint. Then can't keep making the same game again and again.
That's why they pushed back all their games, it was announced.

Reedirect

Oct 27, 2017
Routine

Trailers and blog posts had gone up in 2016-17 posting about its upcoming release and then nothing

From the last blog post in March 2017

We don't expect the delay to add more than a month or two and when we next update, we promise to finally give you a clear release date with a game that we are proud of

No word from the devs since

This is the most baffling and incomprehensible delay and subsequent cancellation case I have ever seen.

At some point, this game was a few DAYS away from being released.

Lozjam

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The 3DS and Vita versions of Mighty No. 9.
Yeah. They were promised and they are still technically "coming" out. There is even still an eshop page for it on 3DS.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is the most baffling and incomprehensible delay and subsequent cancellation case I have ever seen.

At some point, this game was a few DAYS away from being released.
The game is so old that it was one of the first game on Steam Greenlight back in the day. Crazy to get so close to the end and then basically disappear completely.

Jon God

Oct 28, 2017
Deep Down, you know Skull and Bones will be one of those games that will never come out, it might be a System Shock, 3 other games that might not come out; BioShock Vita, Street Fighter X Tekken, In The Valley of Gods... Sorry to be The Agent to tell you that these games have had The Last Night they will be having as 'games' and not canceled projects.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Since people keep mentioning Skull and Bones... Ubisoft are a publicly traded company. By law they are required to announce all business impacting decisions, such as canceling a project, the same time that is announced internally.

Unless they want to risk going to prison for potential insider trading, they have not cancelled the project, as otherwise the public would have been told about that.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
They didn't miss the point. The game wasn't supposed to be a successor to AC4 in the first place. It was supposed to be a ship combat PvP game and I don't think that has changed. Don't get your hopes up. I'm personally excited to play it.

I believe Skull & Bones was the product of a consumer survey Ubisoft sent out shortly after the critical acclaim Black Flag got, asking if people would be interested in a new franchise more exclusively centered around being a pirate. I know because I participated in that survey.

Skull & Bones got announced a couple of years later, and very much looked like the ship stuff from AC4, but with the AC stuff taken out. Which I think fundamentally misunderstood what people liked about Black Flag in the first place.

Wouldn't be at all surprised if that's what Skull & Bones keeps getting pushed back. They are probably having trouble "finding the fun" in that game.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Since people keep mentioning Skull and Bones... Ubisoft are a publicly traded company. By law they are required to announce all business impacting decisions, such as canceling a project, the same time that is announced internally.

Unless they want to risk going to prison for potential insider trading, they have not cancelled the project, as otherwise the public would have been told about that.
Really? Wouldn't that only be relevant once the project is actually included in sales estimations for a specific period?
Because otherwise a lot of games mentioned in this thread can't have been cancelled, like Agent for instance.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
People are joking about SMT V, right?

There was a 6 year gap between Persona 2: EP & Persona 3.
There was an 8 year gap between Persona 4 & Persona 5
There was a 10 year gap between SMT 3 & 4

Admittedly, there were enhanced ports & spin-off games during some of these periods, but still, long gaps between big releases from Atlus are nothing new. It's only been about 4 years since SMT IV Apocalypse. Atlus isn't cancelling a sequel to one of its two flagship series.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Watch Dogs Legion.

Not cancelled though, but being heavily redesigned. I just can't imagine Ubi releasing such backwards games quality wise in comparision to AC Odyssey. They focused so hard on the gimmick (play as EVERYONE!) that the world is bland, exploration is boring and the combat isn't really satysfying at all.

(I say that after spending 3 hours with the game at gamescom 2019)

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
Hyper Sports R for Switch
Hyper-Sports-R-1.jpg

Battletoads for Xbox One
images

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Really? Wouldn't that only be relevant once the project is actually included in sales estimations for a specific period?
Because otherwise a lot of games mentioned in this thread can't have been cancelled, like Agent for instance.

Was speaking about S&B. Originally, it was targeted for a specific fiscal year, and then it got targeted for a future fiscal year, if I am remembering correctly?

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Was speaking about S&B. Originally, it was targeted for a specific fiscal year, and then it got targeted for a future fiscal year, if I am remembering correctly?
Okay, I misunderstood your reasoning. Indeed, they have to at least announce its indefinite delay for those reasons.

Zeron

Oct 27, 2017
Iowa
If ITVOG doesn't get made at Valve, it likely wasn't worth making in the first place. Everyone at Valve is free to work on whatever they want. It's up to the projects to hold their own weight and "recruit" a team big enough to get it off the ground and released.
A totally true thing that definitely happens at Valve. They all only work on hats because that's what they want to do.

I guess it's easy and pays the bills.