• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Upgrading the internal storage for both of Sony and MS' consoles seems way too expensive right now at over $200+ USD and Sony hasn't even certified any drives officially yet.

So what I've been thinking is getting a cheap ~1GB/s SSD (either 512GB or 1GB), sticking that in an external USB enclosure, and using that strictly to store and play last-gen games. The PS5's USB ports max out at 10Gbps so going any faster would be a waste, last-gen games would likely still see a big boost in loading performance, and it would free up the internal drive to hold next-gen games only. I think that could work out.

Have any of you given any thought to how you'll manage your libraries?

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
External 1TB SSD for offloading a few titles, that's about it.

Nothing special.

LeMillion

Jun 9, 2020
I don't need 1TB worth of games installed at any time for both consoles, so it'll be easy enough for me to manage what games I have downloaded.

If I really decided to go nuts within a given month, I also have an internet package without a data cap so there's that.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
Same as what I do on my PC via Steam. Just delete, download, replace. Keep the titles on my drive that I know I'll return to in the near future.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Gonna just move my 4TB external I have hooked up to my PS4 over to my PS5 and I'll move games around as I need them. I'll buy a drive similar to that and do the same thing with my Series X when I get one.

For PC, moving to Ryzen 4XXX whenever it becomes available. Gonna throw the biggest pcie gen 4 ssd in the system I can and look at one of those expansion cards for m.2 shit and try and just load up on more storage there. My download speed however is generally big enough though to where if I have to redownload something then it's not a huge deal so I might not even worry about extra storage.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Probably just wait for a 2tb slim variant of either of the high end systems.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I pre-ordered that expansion card for my Xbox Series X. I think 2 TB will be enough that I'm not constantly having to uninstall games, though I do hope Microsoft will get more aggressive in increasing the capacity of the expansion cards and offering them at a decent price.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
I'm learning how to juggle.

I'll be getting physical games so I can freely delete and not have to worry about transferring them or re-downloading.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
I'll wait for the compatibility list Sony is supposed to publish and consider my options.
I expect I won't pull the trigger, however, until Black Friday 2021, though. The onboard SSD should last me comfortably for well over a year.

CrispyGamer

Banned
Jan 4, 2020
I'll be looking for a 250 or 500gb drive once Sony shows the approved drives , i survived this generation on 1tb and with games being slightly smaller this generation I'll be ok.

LuckyLocke

Avenger
Nov 27, 2017
XSX, 1TB expansion card.
PS5, 1TB SATA SSD plugged via USB3.1 for fast game swapping and BC (eventually fast SSD in the expansion slot)

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
I uninstall games once I'm done playing them.

S6QeMrc.gif

RoadDogg

Oct 27, 2017
I will just delete games when I am done with them and redownload them if I want to play them again.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
Thankfully I don't have data caps so I can delete and re-download shit to my hearts content. Whenever there are 2 or 3 TB hard drives compatible with the PS5 that won't cost a shitload of money, I'll get one of them.

Darren Lamb

Dec 1, 2017
I just bought a small 2TB external, figured that could be where the BC stuff lives. I think I will be fine with 1tb for active games

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Getting a PS5 DE + Series X at launch so between the two that's 1.8+ TBs of space to work with. I'll split my purchases/installs accordingly.

I also have a 4TB USB drive on my Pro that'll use for BC games and cold storage on PS5 if needed.

That should carry me a couple of years. By then SSD expansion options should be in a much better place.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hold steady for now, buy expansions at reduced prices later.

Given the 1TB 7GB/s Samsung SSD is $230 now, I'm hoping in a year or two's time, I might be able to pick it up for half that, or a 2TB alternative for a similar price.

With the Series X/S Expansion, I'll just have to wait for a sale, offer, Black Friday deal or something.

Einhandr

Shinra Employee
Oct 27, 2017
I'll internal by 1tb once Sony approves a drive and I'll compliment with a 4tb external for BC titles and potential cold storage for NG games if needed.

Webbo

Nov 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Probably just the SSD storage in the PS5 for now (I'm never playing more than 2 or 3 games at a time anyway).

Then down the line if i'm struggling ill just get a big external HDD to use as cold storage.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Getting PS5. I'll just use my external HDD for the meantime but get an internal SSD upgrade in a couple of years when we know what's what and the pricing is more sensible.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
If that Samsung Evo 980 is approved for PS5, that would be great. Its alot cheaper than many of us thought.

After that, external hard drive for storage. I have a 4TB now.

Series X, external hard drive and that proprietary one.

OP
OP
zombiejames

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Can you get a decent USB-C external hard drive that you could play off at decent speeds?
For BC games, absolutely.

Samsung T7 Touch Portable SSD (MU-PC500K/WW) Black, 500 GB: Amazon.ca: Computers & Tablets

Samsung T7 Touch Portable SSD (MU-PC500K/WW) Black, 500 GB: Amazon.ca: Computers & Tablets

Keep in mind that's Canadian pricing.

edit: You could most likely put together something cheaper with an internal drive and sticking it in an enclosure.

CrocodileGrin

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'd most likely just buy a second external drive or take the one I have for PS4, but mainly use it for the PS5 as priority. I bought a 2TB external and it definitely helped prevent me from re-downloading games all the time like I used to do.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Keeping my Sabrent 1tb SSD NVMe + Samsung 512gb SSD NVMe (both PCI-e 3 but very damn fast) until RTX IO is available on laptops, then getting a laptop with a chonky drive.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
I'm going to use the 2 TB external I currently have on my Xbox One X... and see what happens.

If I'm just seeing the speeds be an issue, I may consider one of those NVME addons... but I hope it doesn't come to that.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
waiting until i fill it up, and store current gen games on a fast external.

OtterX

Mar 12, 2020
I have great internet an no data caps. In fact, I've never heard of home internet data caps where I live. My only exposure to them is in gaming forums.

Just going to be honest about what I play and download what I need. Manage as needed.

Transistor

Outer Wilds Ventures Test Pilot
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
With the PS5, I'll probably get an expansion drive when they get a bit cheaper. In the mean time I'll hook up a 4TB external HDD for cold storage.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
I rarely play more than one or two games at a time so I doubt I will be needing any additional storage. I have a super fast Fiber Internet connection so re-downloading something is mere hours in a worst case scenario.

NoWayOut

Oct 27, 2017
I have an external 1TB SSD, but I also don't mind redownloading stuff. Downloads speeds are pretty good for me.

Megabreath

Oct 25, 2018
I don't have one, I will just juggle games on the base storage for the entire gen while getting continually more annoyed at it as the gen goes on.