Dec 22, 2017
If you go to the ER or urgent care they usually have you fill out a little scale, like 1-10, of how much pain you are currently in. Anyone ever been at or around 10?

I have, and it sucked. Back in February I got a vasectomy, and like most people I was a little uncomfortable but was fine in two or three days. Day 5, however, I woke up and could barely walk. That night I woke up in a cold sweat, white as a ghost, shivering in excruciating pain. My wife took me to the ER and filled out the little form saying I was at 10. My definition of 10 would soon be redefined as the ER doc squeezed and prodded my groin trying to decide whether my epididymis or my testicles were infected. I was actually crying it hurt so bad. Of course the treatment for either infection is an oral antibiotic, so not 100% sure why he had to put me through that.

It's been long enough now that I can (kinda) laugh about it. But god damn did it suck. Anyone else ever been at pain level 10?

Yoshichan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I remember once playing a video game and ignoring my finger that had started to shred itself open... a few days later (while still playing the game): blood poisoning and a bunch of other shit that came with that.

Go to a doctor, folks.

Cooking

Oct 27, 2017
hemorrhoid - burst while taking a dump (after holding it in for days because of the pain) - so I ended up shitting out a ton of blood mixed in with everything else.

went to the doctor finally, they said the most they could do was try to disinfect and wait for it to drain. so for several days there was an open wound on my asshole constantly bleeding and I was shitting blood. tremendous pain the whole time

really funny story now though

Griffe316

Oct 25, 2017
Avascular necrosis in both hips, every time I walked felt like shards of glass were being jammed in the sockets.

filkry

Oct 25, 2017
Viral infection of my intestines. Drinking water was so painful I would throw it up. I had to be on an IV in order to stay hydrated.

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I was the goal keeper while playing football (soccer) at school and got shot in my nuts super hard. I couldn't move for minutes. Was not fun.

Oct 25, 2017
Breaking my ribs and the 2 weeks after it. Not so much sharp pain as much as annoying, stinging, making it hard to function pain. I tried to lay on my back, but got stuck and needed someone to help me roll back over. The pain was insane.

Eidan

AVALANCHE
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Cervical herniation. Intense, constant nerve pain that was probably always an 8 and occasionally would flare up to a 10 if I laughed, sneezed, or made any kind of sudden movement.

MrChom

Oct 26, 2017
I had a leg that was so badly infected that at one point I had to have rotting flesh removed while being redressed...that thing was up there as a tie for most painful.

Earlier this year I woke up about 3am with a stomach upset....as time went on it got worse, and worse....ended up waking a housemate to drive me to casualty. They still don't know what was wrong with me but the pain was so bad I had morphine in minutes of getting in there (unheard of in British hospitals), and had an ECG, and several blood tests done inside 30 minutes...nothing was found except hugely raised levels of lactic acid in my blood. I was in so much pain my friend who was with me had to answer questions as I couldn't really speak and was basically floating on the edge of consciousness.

Oct 25, 2017
Had an inguinal hernia, hurt tremendously to move at all. Recently been dealing with severe chondromalacia in both my knees as well, where I felt like collapsing at the end of every day.

CatDoggo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kidney infection that hit late Christmas Eve a few years ago and I ended up having to spend all of Christmas day in incredible agony before I could see a doctor the day after. I probably should have gone to the ER but my parents managed to convince me that the pain I was in wasn't serious enough to go, plus they didn't want me messing up Christmas for the family by going to the hospital.

M1chl

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Czech Republic
Fucking Sciatica nerve pain, absolutely destroying ability to walk, sleep, well anything physical movement. I was getting crams if I wanted to move. Never would wish that to anybody.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I had a leg that was so badly infected that at one point I had to have rotting flesh removed while being redressed...that thing was up there as a tie for most painful.

Earlier this year I woke up about 3am with a stomach upset....as time went on it got worse, and worse....ended up waking a housemate to drive me to casualty. They still don't know what was wrong with me but the pain was so bad I had morphine in minutes of getting in there (unheard of in British hospitals), and had an ECG, and several blood tests done inside 30 minutes...nothing was found except hugely raised levels of lactic acid in my blood. I was in so much pain my friend who was with me had to answer questions as I couldn't really speak and was basically floating on the edge of consciousness.

Isn't lactic acid what your muscles release after exercising? I imagine most of your body was probably in pain then, if it was widespread. They still don't know what caused it to elevate?

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
My back has a tendency to seize up. Sometimes it's spasms which are incredibly painful in their own right but then sometimes I get just a solid cramping in my muscle where it literally feels like my muscles are grabbing my spine and trying to break it in two. When I get that I usually end up bedridden and on prednisone or the like for a few days until it stops cramping up like that. Thankfully I haven't gone through that in a long time.

Also once I had a skin tag removed by the doctor and it got infected with MRSA. I ended up having to get packing tape put in my back and have it changed periodically. While the first few times they numbed my back, the last time they didn't and the pain was so bad I cried.

gcncontroller

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
FL
passed a kidney stone about two months ago. the pain was so bad i kept throwing up and couldn't keep any painkillers down until my mom could drive me to the ER four hours later, by which time i'd already passed it 😣

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Kidney infection that hit late Christmas Eve a few years ago and I ended up having to spend all of Christmas day in incredible agony before I could see a doctor the day after. I probably should have gone to the ER but my parents managed to convince me that the pain I was in wasn't serious enough to go, plus they didn't want me messing up Christmas for the family by going to the hospital.
That's fucked up. If it was my family everyone woukd be going to the hospital with me.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A very large splinter under my fingernail all the way to the cuticle. I can't adequately describe the pain of removing that.

Never. Again.

Deleted member 17658

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My wisdom tooth hurting but I though I knew what pain was until I read a era member talking about a centipede biting his johnson and passing out from the pain.

Pickman

Nov 20, 2017
Huntington, WV
Got hit by a speeding car in a crosswalk when I was on my bicycle at age 12. Somewhere around 18 fractures, 7 of which were in one arm alone (my arm twisted around twice). I was at a 14/10, easy. Couldn't walk for 6 months, couldn't walk without an assistance device for 18 months.

Another time I was 10/10 was when a kidney stone shaped like a knife-covered potato turned sideways on its way out and started lacerating my kidney from the inside. Needed surgical removal. It was the first one I ever had and I thought I was dying.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I have broken my ribs. I tore my ACL and had screws and other shit put in my bones to repair the same (hurt like crazy). Appendictis and surgery (least painful of these events). Broke my thumb. Watched the bad guys win the 1991 NBA Finals.

None of this compared to having an infected tooth. People complain about root canals but I was so happy once I knew the pain was going to go away and the pain of the procedure was nothing compared to the infected tooth.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Compound fracture of my right arm. Skateboarding accident. Arm dangling, bone sticking out, me trying to shove it back in. This was well before cell phones were a thing and I wasn't anywhere near home. Knocked on a few doors before someone finally answered and called 911.

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017
I've been pretty lucky compared to some of the people in this thread..

Mine happened recently, I sliced my thumb open on the lid of a dog food can. There was so much blood I almost passed out. I didn't want to get stiches because lolAmerican Health Care, so I bandaged it really tight and held it together for a few hours, then put a ton of adhesive glue on it. I recently got my fingerprint back.

greenbird

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
None of this compared to having an infected tooth. People complain about root canals but I was so happy once I knew the pain was going to go away and the pain of the procedure was nothing compared to the infected tooth.

Yeah, this for me. Just had one earlier this month, can't sleep, can't think about anything but the pain. When you do manage to fall asleep, the full force of it hits you as soon as you wake up, 0-100 in an instant. Wasn't the first time, but this one was way worse than before.

Oct 27, 2017
Probably when I hurt my back powerlifting, couldn't even sleep cause of the pain. Taught me how interconnected everything is with the back, you're using it when you don't even realize it. I still have chronic pain but its manageable compared to the original pin.

TheeFanatic

Oct 26, 2017
5 years ago with my patella. And recently i had a sciactic nerve on lower right side. 3 weeks of not feeling good

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
I remember once playing a video game and ignoring my finger that had started to shred itself open... a few days later (while still playing the game): blood poisoning and a bunch of other shit that came with that.

Go to a doctor, folks.
I noticed a trend: if no one does anything, sick people often get sicker. — MD House

Blood poisening that infected the brain and turned into Meningitis (imaging the worst Migraine you ever had and multiply by 10), add painful stab whatever touches your skin and if its just a blanket. Laying in bed was painful.

Most painful part should have been the check of spinal fluid.

I dont recall, as they put me under so many drugs to make pain bearable that I lost an entire week of memory. The pain of the migraine like symptomes as well as halluzinations from meningitis i remember well.

Im not a wimp, I got teeth pulled without any kind of painkiller/injection at the age of 5. Tooth root canal killing was less painful than any of this.

Take such things serious guys, lost hearing in my right ear and one heart valve to it.

Last edited:

vash2695

Nov 4, 2017
Indianapolis
I experienced a small amount of muscular death on my foot. Had a cast that was too tight. I had a severely broken ankle and that felt like nothing in comparison. I also had a thunderclap headache once, I'd say that was also a 10.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Had to have surgery on my finger for an infection. When the anesthetics wore off, good Lord did I feel like a wounded animal. I now fear the pain of major surgery and dying.

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
5 days homeless outside during a Canadian winter. Sitting on a bench with soaked shoes and socks, at god knows what time of the night, wondering if my abusive home was worth having a warm bed and food at regular intervals.

Jisgsaw

Oct 27, 2017
- Waking up because I dislocated my shoulder. The arm was all the way up, I had to painfully, slowly bring it down over the course of 10 minutes to relocate it again.
I'd rate that around 7-8 maybe? Dislocating (and relocating) a shoulder is painful enough, but being woken up like that makes it worse.

- PRK surgery, after the painkiller eyedrops wear out the first time. Felt like my eyes were on fire.
Maybe a 6-7.

jontin

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
I was kicked in the head by a horse when I was a kid. It was enough force to throw me about 10 feet backwards, knock me unconscious, and generally make my family think I died instantly. At the ER they determined that I had miraculously suffered no major damage, but for about a week I had a massive amount of blood swell my head and face (I looked inhuman), and with that came the most excruciating month-long migraine.

I actually had to leave home and live with my grandmother for the month because my brother was a baby and his crying was like an iron hot poker being jabbed behind my eyes.

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
Broke my ankle in HS while running on a balance beam and subscribed to the 'Willpower will make everyone better' so not only did I not go to the hospital, I set my ankle myself and started running again the next day. You'd think the pain would be overwhelming, but you don't really notice it except for the first few excrutiating moments before adrenaline kicks in. Nope, what was really bad was that I started favoring my other leg because of the pain and began accelerating and landing heavily on it...which ended up in my knee almost getting busted a few weeks in.

So I, in infinite wisdom, now had an aching knee in one leg and a broken ankle in the other. Getting up in the morning was ass. Worse yet, I would suck it up around my mom and try to walk normally so she wouldn't worry. I could feel the sweat forming with every step.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
When I broke my filling off and cracked my molar in half eating an olive I thought was pitted.

Also the resulting intense pain from me leaving it exposed and not taking care of it for years.

Breaking my collar bone was second to that pain.

KaCo

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
May 22, 2018
Mine a bit mild compared to most of the other example in this thread but an bad case of food poisoning.

Couldn't move much and spent most of the day either in a fetus position or numerous visits to the bathroom.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Dry socket 2 days after wisdom teeth were removed. It was so painful I dont remember much besides popping tylenol, aleve, and aspirin only for it to do nothing.

Nov 1, 2017
Unmedicated gout attack. Like a fucking gnome trying to drive a red-hot railroad spike through my big toe every five minutes for the better part of a week.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
Toothache.

I needed my wisdom teeth removed, but was just dropped from my parent's insurance when I turned 21, so I signed up for a credit card to pay for it. Due to the length of time between needing them removed and finally getting it done, my two bottom molars got really bad cavities due to the way my wisdom teeth were coming in, and eventually one of them started a toothache. The pounding pain was unbearable, and would make me sick.

Long story short, I wasted money on a root canal which the tooth ended up getting pulled a year later since I could never afford the crown.

On the bright side, this initiated my credit, and 11 years later (about 3 weeks ago) I just had a tooth implant.

Gigi A

Oct 26, 2017
Austin, TX
The worst pain that I've ever felt in my life was when I was around 12 years old, I was running around and tripped to the point where I accidentally dipped my arm into pot of boiling water and ended up getting a 2nd degree burn from finger tips to elbow.

I was at my dads birthday party.