• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017

For me? The death of Johnny Storm.
r9U53IG_d.webp

gFXySPx_d.webp

morefantasticfour281.jpg

morefantasticfour291.jpg

morefantasticfour301.jpg

zifiz6S_d.webp

hpSyh8u_d.webp

Last edited:

Runner

Nov 1, 2017
"Batman is only the world's greatest human detective" - Detective Chimp
also when it turned out skeets wasn't actually skeets

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Spiderman 's Leah Story. Just thinking of the title is fucking with me

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
Going to cheat here and use 2 but these two moments from Dark Knight Returns and Batman RIP I just can't get out of my head after years
4-FEA0-A2-C-666-C-406-B-B9-C2-1-D63558512-A7.jpg

DBA4-EA6-C-2562-409-B-A866-0-F2725-BB5295.jpg

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
It's terrible, but the fact that it immediately came to mind when I read the topic title means it's the only correct answer.
c0vm292od8811.jpg

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I remember reading the Terror of Trigon arc of Teen Titans at the Library when I was really young and this panel of the transfigured Justice League really creeped me out.

1695958-power_of_trigon.jpg

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Mine is also from Animal Man. The entire last issue, where Buddy finally confronts the man behind all of his suffering.
His writer.
bcceb43e-f2ab-4ed6-9nqj57.jpeg

0baeb988-64e6-4266-bfwjb5.jpeg
2d4781a9-70c4-4acc-a31jme.jpeg

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
To quote myself from a previous thread, the best moment in cape comics history:

The original Suicide Squad run by John Ostrander and co. is one of the best comics of all time and hinges on a single great idea: The government uses all those supervillains that are locked up as disposable black ops agents. DC was full of minor league characters who were wasting away doing nothing so why not put them to use? And Suicide Squad generally had two uses for them: revitalize them, turning them into worthwhile characters, or as cannon fodder.

Into this comes Count Vertigo(the fact that some of you know who he is at all is thanks to Ostrander, Kim Yale and co.). Vertigo was a nothing character, a foil to the Green Arrow, and he shows up unceremoniously in Suicide Squad #24 not saying a single word, just another body waiting for its bodybag. Come issue #31 we get his first notable scene, a bit between himself(a Catholic) and a priest where we learn just what is going on inside his head:

Father Cramer: "...then you are aware of the mood swings?"

Vertigo: "Yes. My family was one of the last of the great aristocratic families of Europe and had a positive horror of anything but Blue Blood in our lineage. So my ancestors assiduously bred within an ever decreasing number of people leaving my to reap the joys of dedicated inbreeding. I suppose I am fortunate not to drool...at least not indiscreetly.

This is an old, well-worn path. I now find myself gripped by an increasing lethargy, which will spiral into despair that, if I do not kill myself, will give way gradually to mania, where if I do not kill someone else, I will begin the slide towards despair again."

Father Cramer: "Can't medications help?"

Vertigo: "Drug therapy, hypno therapy, I've tried them all. They work for awhile and then *phht*.

In my lucid moments, I wish I could be healthy. Depressed, I am a danger to myself; manic, I am a danger to everyone else. I do not wish to kill myself but I might not mind dying. Perhaps now you can see the attraction that something calling itself the Suicide Squad might have for me.

I am tired of being tired, Father--I wish to be well or dead."

Vertigo, who initially seemed like the most throwaway-able character imaginable, suddenly snaps into place and he would go on to be one of the most important characters in the whole book. And after many trials and tribulations(one minute being a supreme badass fighting on Apokolips or single-handedly keeping Superman at bay, the next being mind controlled and humiliated) he asks Deadshot for a simple favor: to shoot him in the head should he ask for it. Deadshot being Deadshot agrees but warns hims to be damn sure as he will do it.

Eventually we reach the end of Suicide Squad with issue #66 and of all the ways the book could've ended we go out with:

vertigofin1.png

vertigofin2.png

Also, from Delicious in Dungeon...
dm1.png

dm2.png

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I don't have access to screengrab it, but the epilogue to Daredevil #1 by Mark Waid where he recalls some of his past traumas and makes the statement that he wants to live and basically bounces back into "swashbuckler" mentality that was the dominating attitude of Waid's early DD run... The quote "I want to live."

I read it when I was last harboring suicidal ideations and it felt like the start of me gaining the strength to stop thinking about ending my life.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Mine is also from Animal Man. The entire last issue, where Buddy finally confronts the man behind all of his suffering.
His writer.
bcceb43e-f2ab-4ed6-9nqj57.jpeg

0baeb988-64e6-4266-bfwjb5.jpeg
2d4781a9-70c4-4acc-a31jme.jpeg
I read this for the first time recently and it was phenomenal. I can't imagine having read it when it was first released.

Oct 30, 2017
Spider-Man "Leah".

I loved Spider-Man since I was a kid and that ideal of superheroes representing the best of us, to go beyond to help as many people as Spider-Man can, and that childhood innocence of wishing against wishes he was real and to always protect us:

ZAN5yKY.jpg

XfQ6t7L.jpg

p4OcQvy.jpg

UOfqM8f.jpg

pk4AHr4.jpg

wh1hq86.jpg

This made me bawl my eyes out.

Oct 31, 2017
I don't have the page handy, but the bit in the Forever War where Mandela comes back from the war and his mother is dying and the state that sent him to war doesn't give the tiniest shit about him or his

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Spider-Man "Leah".

I loved Spider-Man since I was a kid and that ideal of superheroes representing the best of us, to go beyond to help as many people as Spider-Man can, and that childhood innocence of wishing against wishes he was real and to always protect us:

ZAN5yKY.jpg

XfQ6t7L.jpg

p4OcQvy.jpg

UOfqM8f.jpg

pk4AHr4.jpg

wh1hq86.jpg

This made me bawl my eyes out.

the fact tat he has two different outifts while fighting vulture, really drives the point of how much time passed. damn