• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you enjoy Western or Eastern Games MORE?

• Western

Votes: 388 37.1%
  • Eastern

Votes: 658 62.9%

• Total voters

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
In this context does "Eastern" consist of "just Japan", and does "Western" consist of "literally every other country"?

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I can't understand why someone would take issue with a game based on where it comes from. Completely depends on the game itself. Games from either region don't share enough characteristics to lump them together.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I chose western, but more specifically I prefer eastern European stuff like Witcher games, stalker, painkiller, metro games

OP
OP
GamerDude

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I wanted to say that those Japanese developers make games that I like. But I don't like those games just because they're made in Japan.

Fair enough. Yeah I don't expect people to make selections because the game is from a region they like. I realize it's because that region makes games that tend to resonate more with them. That is the thread's intent.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm shocked that eastern is wining on this forum. It's not like we have thread once or twice a month how Japanese games are superior in every possible way and it's true art compared to that by the numbers designed by focus groups western schlock

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
I play both, but my tastes line more so with eastern games, due to their style of gameplay mechanics and music.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
I can't understand why someone would take issue with a game based on where it comes from. Completely depends on the game itself. Games from either region don't share enough characteristics to lump them together.
I don't think you are reading into this correctly. It's just a matter of which ones you tend to like more, not because of being from that region, but that you just happen to like more from that particular region.

topchill

Oct 28, 2017
Western. I grew up playing Japanese games and love them for what they are, but these days I find the lack of representation in Japanese games problematic. It also seems to me that western devs are willing to take more risks in storytelling (probably the most important aspect of games to me)... at least in ways that I can relate to, being a westerner.

Deleted member 12833

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm shocked that eastern is wining on this forum. It's not like we have thread once or twice a month how Japanese games are superior in every possible way and it's true art compared to that by the numbers designed by focus groups western vull
Yes, it is strange that Eastern would be winning on a console centric form mostly consisting of gamers that carry strong nostalgia for Nintendo, Sony, and Sega consoles.

OP
OP
GamerDude

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think you are reading into this correctly. It's just a matter of which ones you tend to like more, not because of being from that region, but that you just happen to like more from that particular region.

Correct. Thank-you. I'm a bit surprised by the number of people who are not understanding that.

nbnt

Oct 26, 2017
I certainly play way more Western titles, thanks to indies, but when it comes to triple A games, I find myself enjoying Eastern titles more.

Don't know what to vote for.

TGR Onix

Nov 3, 2017
I think this is a really interesting topic. I haven't hesitated to talk on this forum about how much 2019 has sucked for me personally. This is one of the worst years of the entire generation. But I primarily enjoy Western games. Games like Sekiro and DMC5 don't appeal to me at all. Neither do Nintendo exclusives.

Many people will say that they like both Western and Eastern games, which is fair. But which do you find yourself playing more of and enjoying MORE between the two? And what is it that you find most appealing about your choice/least appealing about the other?

2020 looks completely insane to me. Best of the gen and it's not even close. The Last of Us Part II, Cyberpunk 2077, Halo Infinite, Ghost of Tsushima, Dying Light 2, Assassin's Creed Vikings, Watch Dogs Legion, Ori 2, etc. Insane! And that is only what has been announced so far.

2018 was also excellent. Red Dead 2, God of War, and Spider-Man alone made it special. Then you can throw in AC Odyssey, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, etc. Excellent year.

2017 was super overrated IMO. But I don't play Nintendo games, and don't care for games like Persona 5, Nier, Nioh, etc. Horizon Zero Dawn was the incredible standout.

Which years did you enjoy most? Was that influenced by your preference for either Western or Eastern games? What can developers from the different regions learn from each other?
Ori is a metroidvania game, heavily inspired by Eastern game design and Ghost Of Tsushima looks like Sekiro lite. I mean, why don't you play Nintendo games? Games like BOTW show Eastern games with heavy influence of Western design... This is a poor thought process because we're at a point where both hemispheres influence the other greatly.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
About 5 years ago I would've said Eastern all the way, but in recent years some of my most favorite games were actually made by Western studios. For example The Witcher 3, Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War, Spider-Man etc.
So I guess I enjoy Western and Eastern games equally.

OP
OP
GamerDude

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ori is a metroidvania game, heavily inspired by Eastern game design and Ghost Of Tsushima looks like Sekiro lite. I mean, why don't you play Nintendo games? Games like BOTW show Eastern games with heavy influence of Western design... This is a poor thought process because we're at a point where both hemispheres influence the other greatly.

It's not a poor thought process. Ghost of Tshusima LOOKS like Sekiro in terms of setting, but by all accounts seems to have more of a Western play style. In terms of Ori: I mean, OK? There are always some exceptions. That is one game off the list that I'm excited for.

I don't like the art style in BOTW, nor the storytelling or characters I have seen. Does not appeal to me.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
My playing habits are something like 70% Western 30% Eastern. But at the end of the day, its all about quality.

My main gripe with Eastern games is their representation of female characters and lack of ethnic diversity in their titles. Whereas Western games are far ahead of the curve in this regard.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Eastern cause I enjoy the stories, the gameplay and the overall designs (visually and artistically) than the dark, gritty designs of western games.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
It's that Japanese games and Western games have no unique style, they heavily influence each other and have a wide variation within each region.

Really? No, not true at all. they influence each other but they have unique style, different approach and there is a big difference in culture which culminates in products with different flavors.

I like a good game no matter where its made, but in general I prefer Japanese games because they are more human. also, they have less bugs and - usually - better gameplay mechanics.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Eastern games definitely. I think they are better at trying new gameplay mechanics, and the games allow for player experimentation there.

Western games generally are better at giving players a particular "experience" but I find a lot of the underlying mechanics pretty cookie-cutter.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Really? No, not true at all. they influence each other but they have unique style, different approach and there is a big difference in culture which culminates in products with different flavors.

I like a good game no matter where its made, but in general I prefer Japanese games because they are more human. also, they have less bugs and - usually - better gameplay mechanics.
Have you seen all the Western indie games that are inspired by Japanese titles? Not to mention the fact that western RPGs heavily influenced Dragon Quest, which in turn influenced other Japanese RPGs.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If eastern means eastern european, then that, yes - Witcher, Mafia, STALKER, Kingdom Come, Metro, Dying Light...amazing games.

Japan makes some decent games too from time to time

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
If I had to make a list of my top 20 games, it would probably be a pretty even split. Eastern side is mostly Nintendo for me though

I suppose I'd lean Western a bit, but mostly because PC has been my main platform for a long time, and there haven't been many Eastern games there until recently

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
I think I enjoy more western games in general. But more of my favorites are Eastern ones. Eastern games that I try are usually amazing or completely horrible for me. While the average western game that I play is atleast ok.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Up until 5 years ago I pretty much exclusively played Western AAA games. Now when I look at my top ten, eight of them are Japanese. I think it's because there's more variety and originality in regards to gameplay and gameplay systems.

SotC, FFXII, Persona 5's calendar regimentation, etc.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i grew up thinking japan was the mecca of gaming (and i guess in sense it was back in the day) and that was where "real" games are from. then around the HD era, partially because of their trouble adapting, partially because of taste, i generally clinged more to the western style and there was hardly any japanese developed games i'd play

i think there's more parity between the two "schools" now however. mostly indstinguishable at this point for jrpgs or something obviously niche

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
Western indies, Nintendo, and a sprinkle of Western and Eastern large company games. Can't really choose one or the other.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
Have you seen all the Western indie games that are inspired by Japanese titles? Not to mention the fact that western RPGs heavily influenced Dragon Quest, which in turn influenced other Japanese RPGs.

Of course, most of my gaming time is spent playing indie games :)
honestly, I was only thinking about packaged titles. in terms of indies, They are far superior to Japanese/Eastern indie games. and it is true they captured the same spirit perfectly.
Dragon Quest was influenced by WRPG yet JRPG walked a different path to be honest, up to the point that I sometimes feel like they are completely a different genre.

Nov 6, 2017
I enjoy good / fun / entertaining games and don't care about the origin. Both offer a lot of choice for my taste. I don't start to count total playtime / by year just to vote in a poll that only accepts a black and white view.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Soulsborne is my favorite series, and I adored/played the shit out of Dragon's Dogma ... but that's about as far as it goes for me with respect to Japanese games. Everything I else I play or favor - strategy, open-world action/adventure/survival, FPS, multiplayer in general - tends to be from Western developers.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Another lacking poll, there's no "no preference" option.

I like both, no real preference. I would hate it if I had to limit myself to just Eastern or just Western games.

Same here. I like them equally and would have voted no preference. I don't know if Morrowind is better than Dragon's Dogma or Dark Souls is better that The Witness. They're just great games.

I probably spend most time on western games, but that's simply due to there being more of them and I'm drawn to the indie market, with a lot of prolific western developers.

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Japanese games used to appeal a lot more to me in the past. There are still some really good times coming out now and then, but they're few and far between compared to how it used to be.

Western it is.

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
I like games from anywhere in the world. With that said looking at my all time top 10 it's 6-4 with Western games leading so I'll vote for that.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
Same here. I like them equally and would have voted no preference. I don't know if Morrowind is better han Dragon's Dogma or Dark Souls is better that The Witness. They're just great games.

Besides, even if you had a preference, that wouldn't tell the OP what he thinks that it would. Nowadays there's just so much cultural cross-pollination between developers from all parts of the world, that the lines between Eastern games and Western games become blurred and rather meaningless.

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Most of the games I love are Japanese, so eastern. I love a strong focus on gameplay and I also like colorful aesthetics and over the top style.
That's not to say there aren't western games which provide some of that. I do enjoy my fair share of western games. Just on an overall scale my tastes skew towards Japan more.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
Western because I don't understand most Japanese games, especially in terms of storytelling. My top 10 games are western.

With that said, I loved some Japanese games, like RE2 Remake and Super Mario Odyssey, and I enjoyed a few more, like DMC5 or Nier: Automata.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
The "Eastern" games I've played tend to have really obtrusive UX choices more commonly than Western ones, especially with tutorialization, input methods, options in general. I also have a strong distaste for fan service in games that aren't explicitly meant to be titillating. Anime tropes and such also really rub me the wrong way. So my preference definitely goes to Western stuff. In the RPG space it's even more pronounced. I feel like most of the RPG output has been mechanically in a rut for like two decades now, not to speak of plot, pacing or player-world interactivity.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GamerDude

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Besides, even if you had a preference, that wouldn't tell the OP what he thinks that it would. Nowadays there's just so much cultural cross-pollination between developers from all parts of the world, that the lines between Eastern games and Western games become blurred and rather meaningless.

The lines are definitely not meaningless. There have been loads of people in this thread alone with clear preferences. Not to mention my clear feelings. Some people here can say there are no distinctions all they want, but that is not true.