• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Welp...

El65HudWoAQulUJ
I do have a PC with a PCIe 4 slot. Hmmmm.

I also got an NVMe with an enclosure, but its PCIe 3. For external use.

I'm about to be broke before Christmas ....😩

Look, somebody has to get the list started!!! Might as well be the customers. lol.

Indy_Rex

Banned
Sep 20, 2020
Thank you for taking the plunge.
Need your update as soon as that puppy is in your Ps5

S7La9ad.gif

Is there a clear best SSD if money is not a limitation?

At the moment It's probably these or the Sabrent Rocket Plus.

I bought the 2TB version. Should be here this week.
i got 2x 2tb SN850 coming tomorrow. One for the PC and one for the PS5. Should Be a nice upgrade from my current Sabent rocket, which is no slouch with 4000/3000 speeds, but 7000/5300 is in a different league altogether. I

That was too fancy for my taste, I wanted to wait til prices drop.

Radium217

Banned
Oct 31, 2019
I'll definitely be expanding my storage next year. I can't imagine only having 700gb on this console. Around 2tb is perfect imo.

DjRalford

Dec 14, 2017
I think between the on board space, and the 1tb external NVMe I bought on prime day, I should be good for a year or two.

Will keep my eye out hoping for more stable speeds and price drops.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
It will be a lot more fantastic once the price is lower than the proprietary option. Until then most consumers just see the price difference.
Well you can resell, and reuse in more than a console, that's worth it. Also since the market for these are going to be a lot larger, the price will surely get lower new or used, especially based on the brand and type of NAND cell, QLC being the cheapest.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Well you can resell, and reuse in more than a console, that's worth it. Also since the market for these are going to be a lot larger, the price will surely get lower new or used, especially based on the brand and type of NAND cell, QLC being the cheapest.
Agreed, but again right now most people just care about the price and availability.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed, but again right now most people just care about the price and availability.
For people that want a good price, I hope they wait, or shop around for the best deals, there are some good prices out there. Also for good PC parts deals pcpartpicker.com console people. It's amazing, get alerts setup for the NVMe drive you have your eye on, or the NVMe drive size, it doesn't have to be a specific one.

Also check out the reddit site:

HommePomme

Oct 30, 2017
Wanna buy a WD one but concerned it won't end up working. SUPER annoying that there's not even a small list from Sony of drives that work.

will the WD heat sink one fit in the PS5?

LiquidDom

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I said fuck it and ordered a 2TB one, it's back ordered but should get it before the month is out.

Argyle

Oct 25, 2017
Wanna buy a WD one but concerned it won't end up working. SUPER annoying that there's not even a small list from Sony of drives that work.

If it helps Best Buy has these up for preorder, if you have a Best Buy store nearby they should be easy to return if it turns out these are not PS5 compatible.

Thug Larz

Designer @ Bungie
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
So, what is the current understanding as of today?

• We know these will work in the PS5 expansion slot simply on spec
  • We believe they are fast enough due to Cerny's GDC presentation
  • Sony has not given a list of acceptable products yet
  • We don't know if they will fit due to the heatsink???
  • We don't know how hot they will get because nobody (other than embargoed people) have access to retail units???
Just trying to understand where things are at. I'm very interested in expanding my storage, just waiting until Sony gives specs/blessings.

HommePomme

Oct 30, 2017
If it helps Best Buy has these up for preorder, if you have a Best Buy store nearby they should be easy to return if it turns out these are not PS5 compatible.

Oh amazing! Just put in my order, will Best Buy accept in store returns for items that are shipped? They wouldn't let me pick up

Oct 25, 2017

• We don't know how hot they will get because nobody (other than embargoed people) have access to retail units???
Just trying to understand where things are at. I'm very interested in expanding my storage, just waiting until Sony gives specs/blessings.
Yeah I'd love to buy now just to have it but I'm gonna wait for an official list or DF I guess (or users to post here next week)

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020

My hot take is that WD is being irresponsible. It looks like a calculated risk to get the sales while their competitors are waiting for the official testing results before making claims of compatibility. It's "probably" compatible until they tested it completely.

Cerny said it needs to be a bit faster than 5.5GB to compensate for the additional priority queues, and the speed specs here looks sufficient, but he ALSO said the architecture must not be too different so it can be handled by the I/O controller. And he also said the heatsink must physically fit, and be of sufficient performance.

We have 1 out of 3 factors here, the raw speed.

So Cerny then strongly advised everyone to WAIT before buying an SSD. Wait for the list of fully tested devices.

Maybe buying it now is not really a big risk, but it's still a risk. Knowing that it works with the two launch games someone bought is no guarantee it will work with games that start really taking advantage of it with a lot of streaming. That's why the full testing by Sony is important.

Thug Larz

Designer @ Bungie
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
My hot take is that WD is being irresponsible. It looks like a calculated risk to get the sales while their competitors are waiting for the official testing results before making claims of compatibility. It's "probably" compatible until they tested it completely.

Cerny said it needs to be a bit faster than 5.5GB to compensate for the additional priority queues, and the speed specs here looks sufficient, but he ALSO said the architecture must not be too different so it can be handled by the I/O controller. And he also said the heatsink must physically fit, and be of sufficient performance.

We have 1 out of 3 factors here, the raw speed.

So Cerny then strongly advised everyone to WAIT before buying an SSD. Wait for the list of fully tested devices.

Maybe buying it now is not really a big risk, but it's still a risk. Knowing that it works with the two launch games someone bought is no guarantee it will work with games that start really taking advantage of it with a lot of streaming. That's why the full testing by Sony is important.
Yep. Honestly, I'm happy that others are cool to take the plunge and report back!

I'll be waiting until I hear from Sony, even though it's frustrating. I take solace knowing I won't be eating up the full built-in SSD day 1 anyway.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
It's best to wait, especially as drives get faster, cheaper, and you all know exactly what is required. They most likely won't be sold out when you end up needing the space.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
I'm eyeing a 2TB expansion but will wait for confirmation and maybe at least one price drop.
Got an 8TB SATA SSD for BC games so all together I'm hoping to have a 12.85 TB SSD PS5 monster.

Yasuke

Oct 25, 2017
Given these things are additive, I imagine a 1 TB expansion will be perfect for me. That's nearly 2 TBs of space to work with, and I usually delete games when I finish with them.

BarcaTheGreat

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I've got a PC with an empty PCIE 4 slot. I should be ok. :)
Sorry not up to date with pc stuff, but how do you put nvme cards on pci slots? Is there an adaptor you can buy? Nvme generally go to the motherboard right? Just trying to learn a bit more about gaming pc, so don't mind if my question is stupid lol

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry not up to date with pc stuff, but how do you put nvme cards on pci slots? Is there an adaptor you can buy? Nvme generally go to the motherboard right? Just trying to learn a bit more about gaming pc, so don't mind if my question is stupid lol
Yeah you slot it into the motherboard via a m.2 slot. (this picture is before it's screwed down, the below show you how they screw down, the little notch at the back is where you screw into the board, and it's held flat)
SRv5bQ9.jpg

There is also a card that can use multiple M.2 SSD's in a raid0 (increasing the speed and size of a single normal PCIe slot.
Z1P3039.jpg

BarcaTheGreat

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah you slot it into the motherboard via a m.2 slot. (this picture is before it's screwed down, the below show you how they screw down, the little notch at the back is where you screw into the board, and it's held flat)
SRv5bQ9.jpg

There is also a card that can use multiple M.2 SSD's in a raid0 (increasing the speed and size of a single normal PCIe slot.
Z1P3039.jpg
Tnx... Now that card looks like an overkill ;)

KTroopA

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
Right now there is the WD SN850 & Samsung 980 Pro PCIE 4.0 drives with fast enough read speeds to be satisfactory for the PS5. Im pretty sure those will make the compatability list by Sony who seem to be waiting for a full moon or something before they share the list. The read speeds are the key factor here I believe. I would not trust using another brand tbh in my PS5. So unless you are waiting to see what new products are released I think its a good bet with the aforementioned models.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Tnx... Now that card looks like an overkill ;)
It is, it's not for gaming but other things like video editing, or science. Games wouldn't get much use out of it, especially current PC and current games. Current games don't even get much use out of a NVMe drive vs a standard slow SATA SSD. The load time differences are within single digits. I can't wait until that change, and these drives actually get to flex on PC.

h0mebas3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In for the 2TB from Best Buy. With the holiday return policy extending through the first of the year, I will just wait to see if Sony announces their list before I install it.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
I can imagine the certification process being "finish a save of R&C Rift Apart" but as the game isn't ready yet, they can certify. /s

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
Good thing I didn't buy one for the PS5 in advance. Will wait to see what will happen later on though and when they get supported on the PS5.

h0mebas3

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canceled my preorder. Does anyone have any suggestions on an external drive for my PS4 titles? Didn't realize they wouldn't benefit from enhanced SSD loading speed.

Maxflier

Nov 22, 2017
Louisiana
Why are people acting like it is some huge mistake for buying the WD already? You know things can be returned, right? Plus there is a good chance it will end up being certified anyway.

Anddo

Oct 28, 2017
Why are people acting like it is some huge mistake for buying the WD already? You know things can be returned, right? Plus there is a good chance it will end up being certified anyway.

I don't get it either.. This is Sony, if the SSD is as fast as the WD or the new Samsung drives chances are it will work.
I think compatibility for the internal drive will be wide if the drive meets the speed requirements.

h0mebas3

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Definitely not a mistake. In my case, since the option to add additional internal storage is disabled at launch, no point me in my buying and just having it sit in the box until some undetermined future time when the firmware enables it.