• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
There's Beast Wars and My Little Pony: FiM, which definitely, "continued the spirit of the original or surpassed it in a meaningful manner," but I'm guessing the list was largely personal preferences.

See I always thought of Beast Wars as more of a continuation then a reboot of the series, but I could be wrong.

And yeah never seen My Little Pony to compare.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
See I always thought of Beast Wars as more of a continuation then a reboot of the series, but I could be wrong.

And yeah never seen My Little Pony to compare.
Beast Wars started out as a reboot, with no intention to ever connect with G1 (because the showrunners were entirely unfamiliar with G1), but as soon as the pilot episode aired there was a hugely positive reaction from G1 fans on the internet, so the showrunners decided to do some homework and tossed the fans some Easter eggs, and the next thing they knew they had painted themselves into a corner and had merged the previous comic and cartoon continuities (showrunners: "We did what?") and now they were making the definitive sequel to G1.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
When asked what the holdup was for Big Hero Six episodes, Executive Producer Bob Schooley had this to say:

Together with Frank Angones's (DuckTales) tweet and the recent news of shows being moved over to The Disney Channel heavily implies that the days of Disney XD being the home for new Disney TV animation is coming to an end. And if I may be a bit dramatic... it seems like Disney TVA kinda went "EVERYONE LEND ME YOUR STRENGTH" and for the last couple of months has slowly been gathering the energy of all their animation departments and soon, the Genki-dama will be ready to be unleashed. We're just not entirely sure what form it will take. Some are suggesting the return of a "Disney Afternoon" type of block on TDC, others think we'll just see continuous episode bombs of every show in their lineup.

EDIT: seems Bob deleted the tweet
basically it said that BH6 was a part of a "programming strategy" which was why its return date had been pushed back

Last edited:

Penguin

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Hmm there have been rumors of Disney XD heading out to the fields a few years back when they announced the Guardians animated series...

I hope if they don't have original content, it goes back to a Toon Disney rerun channel with Disney afternoon and early 2000s series.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
I wouldn't be surprised if they are starting to wind down Disney XD to focus on their streaming service. Why else would they take Star vs, one of their biggest hits for the channel and move it? That rumor about Marvel shutting down MA after all their current WIPs see done makes sense too. With Moon Girl and Deadpool in the works seemingly disconnected from the current productions, I think Marvel is dropping the "assembly line" cartoons to focus on fewer, but higher quality projects like before.

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how many of you guys watch OK K.O., but they just had one of the most anti-gun episodes since Static Shock.
tumblr_p4rvwd3sj91qbxscio1_1280.png

They even called up a Congresswoman at the end of the episode, who then proceeded to ban "skeleton remotes"(ie guns). I wish real life worked like that.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how many of you guys watch OK K.O., but they just had one of the most anti-gun episodes since Static Shock.
tumblr_p4rvwd3sj91qbxscio1_1280.png

They even called up a Congresswoman at the end of the episode, who then proceeded to ban "skeleton remotes"(ie guns). I wish real life worked like that.
yeah... was way to heavy handed with the message for me... (actually opened this thread to post about it myself) just wasn't a good episode (and I am actively trying to get people around me more involved) especially since it used not one but two tropes I don't like at all
(sleezy out of town business man randomly showing up and it was all a dream)
they followed it up with a proper journalism can make a difference episode, but it was at least better designed and didn't feel really forced for the message.

either way it's weird how many episodes of Ok KO are political messages. Not that it's a bad thing when they do it right, still just wasn't expecting it going into it.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Catching up to Voltron LD Season 4, and ep. 4 is hilariously entertaining.
Though one thing: The
alien that gives Koran the seed, who is the voice actor? He sounds VERY familiar but I can't pin who he is or who he voiced...

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm there have been rumors of Disney XD heading out to the fields a few years back when they announced the Guardians animated series...

I hope if they don't have original content, it goes back to a Toon Disney rerun channel with Disney afternoon and early 2000s series.

Man, I'd love that.
Great cartoons like Star Vs. get to thrive on a channel that people actually watch/have on their cable plan and Disney basically gets their own "Boomerang" again.

HyperFerret

Oct 25, 2017
I come home expecting to binge watch Season 5 of Voltron and I get one episode in before my internet dies.

Of course the ONE day I want to watch Netflix my ISP shits the bed.

Edit: Yay, complaining on ERA fixed it! :D OMG that second episode was nuts.

Last edited:

HyperFerret

Oct 25, 2017
Season 5 of Voltron was way better than Season 4, goddamn.

Time to go shitpost on other websites about it lol

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that Infinity Train has been greenlit by CN might be proof that Adult Swim Jr might just be an April Fool's joke. People were holding on the "but infinity train might go there!" nail for it to be real.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Just got back from watching Early Man
images

Which had Richard Ayoade pulling off his best 'Christopher Walken and then walk out after his cameo'.

It's overall a light and fun movie and I rather liked the humor.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
The Nick Animation Youtube channel has been putting out a lot of shorts recently. This one just popped up today:

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Nick Animation Youtube channel has been putting out a lot of shorts recently. This one just popped up today:

It's an original creation from Brianne Drouhard, who made those "Amethyst: Princess of Gemworld" shorts for DC a while back.

I really like her work. Hope she gets more than a short.

Penguin

Oct 25, 2017
New York
So I'm too lazy to bother, but would anyone be up for cataloging all the western animated series on the various streaming services?

Nov 3, 2017
Any recommendations for a fun, semi-recent action adventure show?

All caught up on Voltron. Loved TLA and Korra. Debating between:

Thundercats
Symbionic Titan
Steven Universe
Troll Hunters
Star Wars the clone wars

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Any recommendations for a fun, semi-recent action adventure show?

All caught up on Voltron. Loved TLA and Korra. Debating between:

Thundercats
Symbionic Titan
Steven Universe
Troll Hunters
Star Wars the clone wars
Thundercats could have been good but it wasn't.
Sym-Bionic Titan has awesome moments, but it ends at a bad point and I'm not a fan of the high school stuff. It does a good job redeeming the stuck-up cheerleader character, though.
Steven Universe is great, but it's more drama and comedy than action adventure, really.
Trollhunters is a fun action adventure series with great designs and great TV CGI. It can be pretty generic, though.
Star Wars: The Clone Wars has a terrible first one or two seasons, but gets increasingly better as it goes along, until it ends as a pretty awesome show. This is the go-to episode guide.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Bought and watched the Mickey Mouse Halloween Spooktacular which was great IMO. Those kids not liking
the vampire story were being silly, that was a cool action packed story!
The 3rd story was indeed scary though heh

Oct 25, 2017
News from Cartoon Network and Amazon:

http://deadline.com/2018/03/cartoon...ever-slate-deepens-creative-bench-1202316509/

Cartoon Network announced its largest slate of content ever from a group it called "a new wave of creators telling stories that are relevant and reflective of today's kids."

The Turner kids network said new series rolled out in the upfront season include Owen Dennis' adventure series Infinity Train and Diego Molano's Latin American supernatural comedy Victor and Valentino.

Those new shows will be join Apple & Onion from George Gendi, which just premiered; Craig of The Creek by Matt Burnett and Ben Levin, an upcoming premiere; and Julia Pott's Summer Camp Island, which will debut this summer. Another recent premiere is Unkitty! The Warner Bros. Animation show is based on the character from The LEGO Movie.

NEW SERIES

• Apple & Onion – Apple and Onion, the eponymous characters of Cartoon Network's newest buddy comedy created by George Gendi, made their debut in a limited run last month. The show stems from Cartoon Network's global Artists Program and introduces best friends Apple and Onion who have decided to leave their hometowns to experience big city living. New episodes air back-to-back every Friday through the end of March.
  • Craig of the Creek – Co-created by three-time Emmy-nominated Steven Universe writers Matt Burnett and Ben Levin, Craig of the Creek follows the precocious Craig as he leads his best friends J.P. and Kelsey on comical journeys at their neighborhood creek, transforming everyday afternoons into thrilling expeditions through imaginative play. An episode is available on the CN App and VOD now, with new episodes debuting on linear on Friday, March 30.
  • Infinity TrainWith a groundswell of fan support of the original short created through the Artist Program, this mystery adventure created by Owen Dennis follows a precocious young girl named Tulip who finds herself on a train full of infinite worlds and tries to find her way home. Infinity Train will debut in 2019.
  • Summer Camp Island – Based on an original Cartoon Network short created by Julia Pott, Summer Camp Island will unfold the mysteries that Oscar and his best friend Hedgehog encounter at a magical summer camp. Having completed a festival run that included Sundance, the series will premiere this summer.
  • Victor and Valentino – Created by Diego Molano, this supernatural adventure comedy follows two half-brothers who spend a summer with their grandma in Monte Macabre, a small and mysterious town, where the myths and legends of Latin American folklore come to life. Victor and Valentino can be seen later this year.

http://deadline.com/2018/03/amazon-...team-rosa-salazar-star-voice-cast-1202312082/

After helping Netflix enter the adult animation space with BoJack Horseman, that series' creator, Raphael Bob-Waksberg, and studio, Michael Eisner's Tornante Company, are doing the same for Amazon with Undone. Amazon Studios has given a straight-to-series order to Undone, starring Rosa Salazar (Maze Runner franchise), as its first adult animation show. It was co-created by Bob-Waksberg and BoJack Horseman writer-producer Kate Purdy who just won a WGA Award for her work on the Netflix animated comedy.

The Tornante-produced Undone is a half-hour animated dramedy that explores the elastic nature of reality through its central character, Alma, voiced by Salazar. After getting into a near fatal car accident, Alma discovers she has a new relationship with time and uses this ability to find out the truth about her father's death. Also cast in the series is Angelique Cabral (Life in Pieces) as Alma's younger sister.

Made a thread for the Amazon news as well.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully this means CN will no longer be the TTG/Gumball network. I'd love to see a wider variety of shows played.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Other than Infinity Train, none of those new CN shows sound particularly interesting, especially to the level of those new Disney shows.

Oct 27, 2017
So happy to see Infinity Train greenlit!
I'm excited to see where they take the concept; hopefully Owen Dennis and co. knock it out of the park.

2019 feels so far away though...T.T

Last edited:

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Episode 18 of MEGAS XLR has a 1 min. scene of Coop using a saw blade to shred a giant alien monster with its green blood splattering throughout its duration. Amazing.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Seems Ankama went and replaced the dub studio for Season 1 and 2 of Wakfu and signed another, more well-known one to produce Season 3's English dub. Source

If this turns out to be as good as I could hope then it'd be nice if they could go back and redub the earlier seasons to match but I know that's asking a lot. Also the voices themselves were only half the problem, the other was having to match the original's French lip flaps and not have it sound like the English cast were speed reading just to keep up. Crossing my fingers.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
Infinity Train is at least a year out and CN is already making promotional videos for it.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Infinity Train is at least a year out and CN is already making promotional videos for it.

well I mean they don't make promos for shows they are airing that aren't named teen titans go... so their promo committee has to do something :P

I mean we have steven universe returning in 3 weeks and I will be surprised if we see any serious promos for it. likely just the 13 second thing we got from twitter and once we get closer a 30 second trailer that manages to spoil key points in every episode that they are planning to air lol.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Compared to everything else, MLP's release schedule now is crazy. They aired half of season 7, then they aired three half hour specials from the Equestria Girls spinoff, then they started releasing web shorts for Equestria Girls, then they finished season 7 (the theatrical movie premiered the same week as an episode premiere, which was a misstep), then they started a straight up web series for Equestria Girls (still ongoing), and they released another Equestria Girls TV special about a month ago. And they also have some actual pony related shorts (reusing existing footage but with new dialogue) every week now too. Right now, there's new Pony content of some kind every week.

Gravity Falls and DuckTales had some web shorts, but I can't think of any franchise that matches the sheer amount of content.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Compared to everything else, MLP's release schedule now is crazy. They aired half of season 7, then they aired three half hour specials from the Equestria Girls spinoff, then they started releasing web shorts for Equestria Girls, then they finished season 7 (the theatrical movie premiered the same week as an episode premiere, which was a misstep), then they started a straight up web series for Equestria Girls (still ongoing), and they released another Equestria Girls TV special about a month ago. And they also have some actual pony related shorts (reusing existing footage but with new dialogue) every week now too. Right now, there's new Pony content of some kind every week.

Gravity Falls and DuckTales had some web shorts, but I can't think of any franchise that matches the sheer amount of content.
since may 30th of last year steven universe has aired 8 episodes each of which were 15 minutes.... and won't return until apirl >.>

but yeah.. MLP at least seems to be pretty constant with the releases. I can't think of much western wise that competes to that.
I should watch the second half of season 7 and the movie sometime *shrugs*

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017

Late but I watched these (and also the shorts on Cartoon Hangover) with my little sister last night

She loved the Aunt Phyllis one, somehow lol

A Harpy Gee series would be great. I actually learned of these shorts because I already knew of the comic (haven't kept up with it in a long while though)

Infinity Train interests me the most. Victor and Valentino might also be okay. I don't like the artsyle but the show did give me a Gravity Falls vibe. I want Villainous to be a show though, if it isn't already

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no

That was pretty adorable! I'd love to see more come out of this series, if we're being honest.

I'm really hoping Cartoon Network puts effort into pushing this show when it actually comes out.