joe1138

Oct 28, 2017
Sending you the best, OP. God damn, to have your positive outlook with everything your going through is something else. Stay strong and keep us posted, please.

Deleted member 5359

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I believe it was lowered to 45 years now.
And even younger with family history.

I had a colonoscopy a few months ago. My GI told me that the recommended age was still officially 55 but it was in the process of being changed. But to insurance companies, they still won't cover the full cost for people under 55 because they don't consider it necessary or preventative. So I ended up on the hook for over $1,500. Fortunately, I could afford it. But millions can't. It's not right.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't know where you getting this strength from, OP. You have at least five times the resolve I would in your shoes.

Please keep us all updated, I'll be praying for you.

BlkSquirtle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Wishing you the best OP, after Chadwick this has been in the back of my mind and I just turned 30 this year. I want to get tested but -

I had a colonoscopy a few months ago. My GI told me that the recommended age was still officially 55 but it was in the process of being changed. But to insurance companies, they still won't cover the full cost for people under 55 because they don't consider it necessary or preventative. So I ended up on the hook for over $1,500. Fortunately, I could afford it. But millions can't. It's not right.

-this is fucking horrible and makes me hesitant. That's a lot of money to drop for me, I can afford it but that's definitely on a credit card in the future payment situation. Frustrating. I hope you beat this shit OP, we're all rooting for you.

Also, you're handling this a lot better than I would honestly. I'd probably be a whole wreck...or get so stressed that I'd default to feeling nothing. Your high spirits are inspiring.

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
I'm sending all my love and positivity to you. I hope that you get healthy and wishing you all the best.
We're rooting for you!

Oct 26, 2017
Man, sending you energy OP. The Chadwick thread really scared the hell out of a lot of us here. I've had on and off stomach shit over the years and always figured it was undiagnosed IBS but since that thing happened with Chadwick this has really been on the back of my mind now that I'm in my mid 30's. I think paying for a scope out of pocket is like $3K which is just insane.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Tough to read OP, sending you all the strength necessary to overcome whatever is ahead of you. Love your attitude and that you have people surrounding you that care for you. Again...wishing you the best and thanks for creating this thread on ERA and sharing your experience, too many of us take life and health for granted and these kind of reminders can be very helpful.

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
Damn, I'm sorry to hear this, but I'm beyond impressed with how you seem to be dealing with it. I hope everything will go well for you.

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so sorry OP. Here's hoping the treatment goes well. I will be keeping you in my prayers.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
It depends on your condition I think. My wife has UC and has had small polyps removed in her 30s, she has to get one every couple years and it's mostly covered.

WizardofPeace

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus fucking christ. What a garbage hand you were dealt, OP. 32? Wtf? There was no way you would think to get a colonoscopy at 32. Not even at 40! It's only recommended at 50, and every 10 year after that.

Good luck amoy!

The new recommendation is 45. Depending on risk factors you should be getting screened every 3-5 years or even more often.

Hoping for the best OP. Sending luck and love, take all our energy!

Based0ne

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Reminder that it's ok to and you totally should slow down and take some time for yourself, all this stress and chaos can easily grind us to dust.

This all went down in the last 2 weeks of December, as the biannual company screening happened on the 14th and and few days later they called, extremely alarmed because my hemoglobin levels were very low (6.6gm/Dl). Apparently my system jumped down a cliff.

Funny thing is that I wasn't feeling off at all, they asked me for a bunch of symptoms but I answered everything negative, since my routine was pretty much the same and lately I wasn't feeling any discomfort at all. Anyway, I went to do a bunch of tests again, this time including a colonoscopy, which revealed a massive polyp in my colon. It was at a small clinic, so they referred me to another hospital, I soon found myself spending a whole day at the Shizuoka Cancer Center (Japan). Did a whole bunch of tests and late at night found myself getting prepped for surgery.

This is the time it dawns on me how severe my situation is, so far I was lagging to process my condition. Everyone around me are so concerned, it's weird, I'm feeling nothing... I'm like "don't worry", I don't even remember what I told my mom before surgery.

Again, it's a weird feeling, I spent 2 days on the ICU, focused on pain and the soreness on my whole body, "cancer" didn't really cross my mind at this time, the constant alarms going off and staff moving back and forth treating patients kept me awake most of the time. But once I moved out ICU and spent a night on a quiet room to recover... the emotions came bursting through, I woke up sweating, holding back tears.

My mom and my boss came to visit me the next day, they talked and talked, my boss even mentioned I'm like a son to him, I didn't have a response at the time, I didn't speak much. After the visit, the doctor sat with us and explained my situation in detail, I just nodded through the conversation and sighed. Lymph nodes? Metastatic? Stage IV? Sigh.

I got discharged on the 29th and so far, I'm not feeling anything at all, physically and emotionally, despite everyone around me being so worried, it's weird, hard to explain. Prognosis? Loss of hair? Guess I cried and got over it that other day.

I'm just focusing on keeping my routine, keeping my mind busy. There's the possibility my treatment may wreck my system (capecitabine, bevacizumab and oxaliplatin drugs being used), so this all may change soon, but who knows. It is what it is, taking a step at a time seems like the best course of action.

Thanks for reading Era, just wanted to get this out of my chest. And don't worry, I'm feeling at peace and have a few wonderful people closely supporting me.
Why does this post seem relatable? Not sure if that's the word I'm looking for but yeah. I don't have cancer of any sorts but is something that I can envision. It sounds devastating though and I can only hope things get better from here. Fight the good fight and keep some positive vibes!!!!!!!

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that's not cool at all. However if there is cornern I have to imagine it being covered??

But as a SCREENING, it needs to change.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
For those being charged for colonoscopy, was it recommended by your primary or a gastroenterologist who was possibly referred by your Primary? By chance do you have GERD or IBS?

As someone who has both I always get mine covered when I have them done. My prior diagnosis basically takes care of it for me.

There is also the annoyance of making sure one or both are in network with your plan. It's the annoying part about healthcare insurance. Always need to make sure you're not being send somewhere out of network.

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
As a cancer survivor of 12 years, I am so sorry! I know exactly what you meant about everyone else worried while you were numb, and the having a breakdown post surgery, that happened to me too, excuse it all happened so damn fast.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
As a cancer survivor of 12 years, I am so sorry! I know exactly what you meant about everyone else worried while you were numb, and the having a breakdown post surgery, that happened to me too, excuse it all happened so damn fast.

Yeah..I think many of us suvivors go through that? I was pretty unfazed about it..while my family and friends were fretting. I didn't have colon cancer..but I guess my brain is just thinking about next steps..just so busy with so many appointments and tests.. its strange.

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah..I think many of us suvivors go through that? I was pretty unfazed about it..while my family and friends were fretting. I didn't have colon cancer..but I guess my brain is just thinking about next steps..just so busy with so many appointments and tests.. its strange.
I remember my doctor calling while I was playing MGS4, and said you have cancer, I said ok, surgery next Tuesday, got it. We hung up and I went right back to playing. It wasn't until after surgery that I had the why me moments where I cried etc...

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I remember my doctor calling while I was playing MGS4, and said you have cancer, I said ok, surgery next Tuesday, got it. We hung up and I went right back to playing. It wasn't until after surgery that I had the why me moments where I cried etc...

I think its going to be once I get Radiation, and I have to isolate myself from my family for up to a week where its going to hit me hard. But I digress, this is not my place to talk about me, but us Cancer survivors need to support our ERA Cancer folks and survivors.

Quint75

Mar 6, 2019
Damn man, I am so sorry to hear this. Keep your positive attitude going and hang in there. You'll be in my thoughts.

brandtron8000

Oct 27, 2017
So sorry to hear OP. Wishing you all the best.

I was diagnosed with stage III colon cancer in august 2019. I had lots of digestive issues for a while before and major weight loss at some point. I even had a doctor try to order a colonoscopy and my insurance didn't approve it. I'm 37 now and was probably 34 or so at that time. Eventually it was discovered when like you I had a test that showed extremely low hemoglobin levels and needed two colonoscopies to get it officially diagnosed.

Unfortunately mine spread to my bladder and prostate and I dealt with multiple rectal abscesses that needed to be incised and drained. I had a bad experience with my first Oncologist who didn't want to order a colostomy to be placed against the recommendation from a surgeon. Eventually I got a new Oncologist who did order one and I had that done in February last year. I was just getting over surgery when lockdown started. I had also separated from my wife in October 2019 and moved into an apartment by myself in January.

I underwent the same type of chemo you mentioned but it didn't do much for me. You're probably going to experience neuropathy side effects from chemo that will affect your hands and feet that will be sensitive to cold temperatures like I did. Buy some gloves and prepare your feet if you'll be in cold weather. Warming them up if you do experience it should reverse the effect. I'm still suffering from a numbness in my right thigh and feet as a side effect from that chemo more than a year after my last treatment.

The worst part of my treatment for me was radiation therapy. I did that in May last year. 25 total treatments 5 days a week for 5 weeks. It wreaked havoc on my rectal abscesses but did reduce the size of my tumor.

This last October I had major surgery to have my colon, bladder and prostate removed. They also removed some skin from my abdomen to replace the affected tissue where the abscesses were. I also had to have another surgery in December to address an opening they couldn't quite reach during the first surgery and I'm still recovering from that currently.

I'm currently trying to get the COVID vaccine as soon as possible as my Oncologist wants to get me back on chemo to address any traces of cancer that may still be left in me after surgery but it's a struggle to get it at the moment.

I've joined an online support group for young people with cancer that I can PM you about if you're interested.

icecream

Oct 27, 2017
Wishing you the best, OP. Keep up the positivity.

This all went down in the last 2 weeks of December, as the biannual company screening.
On another note, was upset as soon as I read this because I knew the OP was not in America because having companies care for their employees like this here is a pipe dream.

Heraldic

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Wishing you all the best. I know the fear, and anxiety associated with being ill. I feel for you and will keep you in my thoughts during my next offering to the Goddess Freyja.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Wishing the best for you OP. Super scary that there was no signs and you were feeling completely fine.

THE210

Nov 30, 2017

I've been trying to get one for a couple of years. The GI doc and my PCP both say the recommended age for AA men has been dropped to 45 but most insurance still dont want to approve it if you are under 50 without family history. I'm past 45 so the GI Doc says he is going to fight to get it done.