• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
100% this. Just a few short months ago I thought she was doing a fantastic job, but she has repeatedly made the wrong calls in response to the CPD and paid the barest lip service to the protestors. I have next to zero faith she'd actually do anything to stop these federal agents if they do start patrolling Chicago.

She seems utterly frozen in place in being able to take meaningful action that would upset the CPD, and we all know Trump's Gestapo rolling in isn't going to be opposed by the CPD - hell if anything they'll be jealous of them.

I still remember the protest lockdowns, where she had randomly-selected groups of people get text alerts about the Loop going into lockdown ten minutes before the lockdown was scheduled to start. Essentially trapping protesters in the loop by shutting down the CTA and raising the drawbridges so the cops could collect them.

One of my roommates was down there and he was the only person in my house who DIDN'T get the text warning. We had to text him ourselves and he just barely escaped.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
Not the way the Feds are doing it. Getting them into the cities to assist in the protection of Federal property is perfectly legal. What they do once they are here is the shady part. Months of litigation will eventually sort out the Constitutional violations, but it won't matter by then.

It's carrying out the President's Exec order for the protection of Federal property. Something well within Federal jurisdiction. Lending assets between agencies is not only allowed, but encouraged to save money and training. I do FDA work and the last FDA Agent I dealt with was a Navy doctor in Navy whites on loan to the FDA.

Again the actions of these thugs will not pass the smell test, but getting them on the ground on the basis of protecting Fed property is.

So this is about the confederate monuments?

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is this all somehow my family's fault? I grew up in New Mexico and went to college in Albuquerque. Then I moved to Portland, OR. My sister moved to Chicago. Coincidentally, this is where these goons are headed. And we're Jewish. shiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago Tribune, the city's most read "centrist" broadsheet is 100% in favour of it.

www.chicagotribune.com

Column: Something grows in the big cities run by Democrats: An overwhelming sense of lawlessness

President Donald Trump is sending federal law enforcement into the big cities run by Democratic mayors, where murder and gang shootings are out of control and where once vibrant downtown areas are …

That's not some guest columnist being brought in for rage clicks but a member of the Tribune's editorial board whose columns typically appear on Page 2.

You have anti-Semitic rants indistinguishable from those of the 1930s appearing in your mainstream news as if it's normal. The same anti-Semitism that inspired mass shootings.

www.vox.com

The centuries-old history of Jewish "puppet master" conspiracy theories

The alleged Pittsburgh synagogue shooter thought George Soros was controlling the world economy. Here’s the anti-Semitic history of that far-right narrative.

As a former journalist, editorial pages by and large are controlled by conservatives. Most board opinions are just those of the owner or publisher.

Oct 26, 2017
Welp.

THis weekend is gonna be protests out the wazooo.

Fuck Trump, These nazis, participants, all need to be tried for there crimes against the american people and constitution

CallMeShaft

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I look forward to a few weeks from now when most of my relatives, who've been asking for this for years in Chicago, start to realize that this is simply pouring gas on what was already a big enough tire fire.

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago Tribune, the city's most read "centrist" broadsheet is 100% in favour of it.

www.chicagotribune.com

Column: Something grows in the big cities run by Democrats: An overwhelming sense of lawlessness

President Donald Trump is sending federal law enforcement into the big cities run by Democratic mayors, where murder and gang shootings are out of control and where once vibrant downtown areas are …

That's not some guest columnist being brought in for rage clicks but a member of the Tribune's editorial board whose columns typically appear on Page 2.

John Kass always has been a rightwing dipshit, and always will be. Trying to portray JOHN KASS as the voice of Chicago is insulting to the city. Every single time he opens his mouth it is to spew pure, reactionary nonsense.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
Protecting federal buildings, according to them.

AG Barr, like Trump before him, links the recent rise in violent crime in some cities to recent protests against police + calls for defunding, calling the increasing violence "a direct result" of it. He offers no evidence, nor does he say why some crimes are up and others down

At the same time they keep talking about "urban" crime... It's so clearly dog whistling to racists and punitively punishing protesters at the same time.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
So this is about the confederate monuments?

In a way. You can read it for yourself if you can stomach the lies. They are going to beat us for our own good.

www.whitehouse.gov

Executive Order on Protecting American Monuments, Memorials, and Statues and Combating Recent Criminal Violence | The White House

By the authority vested in me as President by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, it is hereby ordered as follows: Section 1. P

Key targets in the violent extremists' campaign against our country are public monuments, memorials, and statues. Their selection of targets reveals a deep ignorance of our history, and is indicative of a desire to indiscriminately destroy anything that honors our past and to erase from the public mind any suggestion that our past may be worth honoring, cherishing, remembering, or understanding. In the last week, vandals toppled a statue of President Ulysses S. Grant in San Francisco. To them, it made no difference that President Grant led the Union Army to victory over the Confederacy in the Civil War, enforced Reconstruction, fought the Ku Klux Klan, and advocated for the Fifteenth Amendment, which guaranteed freed slaves the right to vote. In Charlotte, North Carolina, the names of 507 veterans memorialized on a World War II monument were painted over with a symbol of communism. And earlier this month, in Boston, a memorial commemorating an African-American regiment that fought in the Civil War was defaced with graffiti. In Madison, Wisconsin, rioters knocked over the statue of an abolitionist immigrant who fought for the Union during the Civil War. Christian figures are now in the crosshairs, too. Recently, an influential activist for one movement that has been prominent in setting the agenda for demonstrations in recent weeks declared that many existing religious depictions of Jesus and the Holy Family should be purged from our places of worship.

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
Also, there's some maps out there that show it is, but Chicago is not within the CBP 100 miles from the border zone. Those maps include Lake Michigan as being on the border because whoever drew them is stupid and doesn't realize it's entirely in the U.S.

EDIT: I guess CBP itself said this is their jurisdiction. Which is sketchy.

LQX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is good reason to dislike Trump but something has to be done about the gang violence and this may help. There is not enough action being taken to combat the gang violence happening. This is not just for protesters right?

Oct 26, 2017
There is good reason to dislike Trump but something has to be done about the gang violence and this may help. There is not enough action being taken to combat the gang violence happening.
"gang violence" aka Portland Moms protesting peacefully getting the shit beat out of the them.

THey aren't there to "help". This is all for trumps re-election efforts.

His campaign is flailing, and they are trying to say trump is the law and order candidate.
so they are trying to say they "made the cities safer" by literally just rolling up to a city and just start snatching random people off the streets and beat anyone out side.

YOu NEED TO EDUCATE YOURSELF, before you come in with the shittiest hot take since the Cleveland Steamer.

YOU KNOW how you solve most low income crime/ violent crime, you work on Lifting them out of poverty, and setting up socioeconomic safety nets to help people. THIS WORKS.

Rolling up and beating the piss out of people does the opposite

jml

Mar 9, 2018
There is good reason to dislike Trump but something has to be done about the gang violence and this may help. There is not enough action being taken to combat the gang violence happening. This is not just for protesters right?
If you think Trump is actually doing this because he cares about stopping gang violence I have a bridge to sell you.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How, without coming down hard on gangs?
gangs don't spring out of nowhere, they're a result of societal issues. Just cracking down on gangs will never actually solve the problem, because it's doing nothing to address the underlying issues that lead people to form and join these gangs

3CellPO

Banned
Jul 13, 2020
Maybe I'm misinterpreting what you mean, but as long as it 'helps' with the gang issue, you are okay with jack-booted thugs also fucking with protestors?

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
In a way. You can read it for yourself if you can stomach the lies. They are going to beat us for our own good.

www.whitehouse.gov

Executive Order on Protecting American Monuments, Memorials, and Statues and Combating Recent Criminal Violence | The White House

By the authority vested in me as President by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, it is hereby ordered as follows: Section 1. P

Yeah, sounds like a big load of bullshit. Let's cite unnamed people and movements supposedly targeting WW2 vets and Christians and use that to justify sending in these goons to beat protestors up on sight, no matter what they're out there for.

Dec 6, 2018

www.chicagotribune.com

You have anti-Semitic rants indistinguishable from those of the 1930s appearing in your mainstream news as if it's normal. The same anti-Semitism that inspired mass shootings.

www.vox.com

The alleged Pittsburgh synagogue shooter thought George Soros was controlling the world economy. Here’s the anti-Semitic history of that far-right narrative.
The Chicago Tribune has become hot garbage the last few years, or at least its editorial board, same with NYT I guess.

Lori has been shitty for a bit now with these protests. The raising of bridges before curfew to trap protestors and the Columbus statue thing has proven that without a doubt. This is someone that had an approval rating in like the 70s who has been awful at listening to any protestors and seems to be shallowly "woke" version of Rahm. Curious to see what her numbers are now, and whether it will hold. Doubt it will make much of a difference for her next election, but I will definitely be voting against her

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
If you guys waited for something this is it. If he gets through with this i would worry about free elections in november.

Oct 27, 2017
How, without coming down hard on gangs?

You're not going to solve gang problems with a surge of militarized federal goon-squads, because gang violence isn't caused by a lack of policing.

Gang violence can actually be combatted by addressing generational poverty, drug addiction and a sea of illegal guns that flow like water from states with lax firearm laws. That isn't going to be solved in the 100 days before this election, and whatever investigators they're sending with the goon-squads aren't going to put a dent in any of those problems in that timeframe either.

If on the other hand some folks just want a Fallujah-like surge of camo-wearing federal soldiers 'subduing' entire neighborhoods of American cities, Trump and Barr have a plan you'll love

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
I can't believe this is real life. What's next, Batman gonna lead the local police to fight them?

Wordballoons

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

www.chicagotribune.com

www.vox.com

Omg what is this trash. I didn't imagine chicago newspapers like this.

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
Bet you ten bucks they ain't doing shit about any gang related violence (almost would argue they'll encourage) and instead only report to any sort of demonstration with extreme prejudice instead.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017

They aren't going after gangs, they are going after protestors who make the nightly news and make the President look bad.

This is a 1000% campaign strategy. He doesn't need for it to work, he needs it to be perceived as strong.

AlternateAir

Oct 27, 2017
Ah, that's good to hear. I was afraid they were just getting disappeared.
I mean, they are being released at this point as far as we know - but it's certainly just a hop, skip and a jump to them NOT being released and disappearing. The concern is unmarked federal officers picking up random people in unmarked vehicles has zero accountability.

Hell, Chicago already has an issue with people being disappeared for days at a time by the CPD in their blacksite - Homan Square.

The Guardian: Homan Square revealed: how Chicago police 'disappeared' 7,000 people

Oct 25, 2017
let me guess

"It will be fine, no one innocent will be kidnapped"

She insists that it'll be just FBI, DEA, and ATF, and will be overseen by the current US Attorney for Northern Illinois John Lausch, who she had worked before as a Federal Prosecutor for twenty years. No unnamed Federal Troops. But she admits that Trump might still pull a fast one, and insist such actions be reported. Will take the President to court if there is any funny business with the DHS and CBP. She also states she rather have actual help in the root causes, namely the proliferation of guns.